***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,547,146 Views | 47728 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by 74OA
Sims
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JFABNRGR said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

TRM said:

Turn it back on them. Blow them all to Hell.
the logical conclusion of how it was captured is that its either broke down or stuck in the mud.

If it is stuck in mud (doubtful because no other red vehicles towed it out unless out of ordinance) and operational than it could still be in range of its counterparts who should be targeted like others have said.
The Chev got stuck and the Ford got stuck,
Got the Chev unstuck when the Dodge showed up
But the Dodge got stuck in the tractor rut
Which eventually pulled out the Russian Missile Launcher.

Corb Lund, prescient as always.
Hold on honey, there are people on the internet that are wrong.
HTownAg98
shiftyandquick said:

To borrow a line from OR, if it were rainy ***** around Putin, he'd get hit in the face with a ****.
Ag87H2O
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

TRM said:

Turn it back on them. Blow them all to Hell.
Somewhere out there there's a Ukranian woman who knows how to drive it.
Faustus
FWIW

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/03/01/world/ukraine-russia-war

Quote:

. . .
Plagued by poor morale as well as fuel and food shortages, some Russian troops in Ukraine have surrendered en masse or sabotaged their own vehicles to avoid fighting, a senior Pentagon official said on Tuesday.

Some entire Russian units have laid down their arms without a fight after confronting surprisingly stiff Ukrainian defense, the official said. A significant number of the Russian troops are young conscripts who are poorly trained and ill-prepared for the all-out assault. And in some cases, Russian troops have deliberately punched holes in their vehicles' gas tanks, presumably to avoid combat, the official said.

The Pentagon official declined to say how the military made these assessments presumably a mosaic of intelligence including statements from captured Russian soldiers and communications intercepts or how widespread these setbacks may be across the sprawling battlefield.

But taken together, these factors may help explain why Russian forces, including an ominous 40-mile convoy of tanks and armored vehicles near Kyiv, Ukraine's capital, has come to a near crawl in the past day or two, U.S. officials said.

Besides dealing with shortages of fuel, food and spare parts, the Pentagon official said, Russian commanders leading that armored column toward Kyiv may also be "regrouping and rethinking" their battle plans, making adjustments on the fly to gain momentum for what U.S. intelligence and military officials say is an inevitable push in the next several days to encircle and ultimately capture the capital.
. . .
But U.S. analysts have been struck by the "risk-averse behavior" of such a large force, the Pentagon official said. Russia launched an amphibious landing to seize Mariupol, a pivotal port city on the Sea of Azov, but landed forces around 40 miles from the city. That allowed the Russians extra time and space to mount an invasion, but also gave the city's defenders time to prepare.

Russia's vaunted air force has yet to gain air superiority over Ukraine, with Russian warplanes thwarted by Ukrainian fighter jets and a surprisingly resilient and potent array of air defenses, from shoulder-fired Stinger antiaircraft missiles to much larger surface-to-air weapons, the Pentagon official said.
. . .
Ag In Ok
AG
Keegan99 said:

Charpie said:

That's 3 days of US consumption.

It's about 10 days of Russian exports.

Fracing will swing the market. Not this lil stuff
DannyDuberstein
AG
We shouldn't be releasing anything to save a few pennies at the pump. That reserve is there for SHTF scenarios, which who knows, one might be coming
will25u
I am still in utter disbelief of the ineptitude of the Russian military.

About the communications issues.

When I was in the Army vehicle FM radios had a theoretical range of 25 miles(LOS). But this was seldom the case. While deployed to Iraq/Afghanistan FM comms range was significantly shorter, because of all the RF interference that was being spewed over there.

There are ways to get around that with re-transmission sites.

Could also use satellite communications, but this can sometimes be hard while on the move.

ETA: It is incredibly hard to do much of anything without communications to high echelons.

DannyDuberstein
AG
We're seeing why they lost the cold war. Their entire system is ****ed and they don't have the resources. That said, if they decide to roll over Ukraine in a completely destructive manner vs strategically cutting the head off, they could do so. They are trying not to destroy what they want to conquer
Sully Dog
ATX_AG_08 said:

I feel like you would want to move as another round is likely incoming
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
Ag In Ok
AG
At some point China will get nervous that all it will take is a coup just above level of the Turkish fiasco and they could have a pro west Russia to their north.
jabberwalkie09
AG
will25u said:

I am still in utter disbelief of the ineptitude of the Russian military.

About the communications issues.

When I was in the Army vehicle FM radios had a theoretical range of 25 miles(LOS). But this was seldom the case. While deployed to Iraq/Afghanistan FM comms range was significantly shorter, because of all the RF interference that was being spewed over there.

There are ways to get around that with re-transmission sites.

Could also use satellite communications, but this can sometimes be hard while on the move.

ETA: It is incredibly hard to do much of anything without communications to high echelons.

Don't forget that there's been several reports of Russians having gotten lost and having to ask for directions. Which at this point are becoming more and more believable in my eyes. We have also seen that their GLONASS system is apparently not good, which is supposed to be their GPS counterpart, if we go by their cruise and Iksandr missiles failing to actually hit critical targets like runways.
tk111
AG
This is why they were accompanied by comrade commissars back in the day. Seems they don't play for very long without any fear of giving up.
74OA
AG
Update on the fight for key Ukrainian cities: DEFENSE
IslanderAg04
jabberwalkie09 said:

PJYoung said:

Three things a war needs: beans (food and fuel), bullets (ammo for arms), and bodies. The Russians clearly don't get this.

Not that I am complaining about their logistical woes aT all. **** 'em.

An Army is driven by its stomach.
IDaggie06
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

We're seeing why they lost the cold war. Their entire system is ****ed and they don't have the resources. That said, if they decide to roll over Ukraine in a completely destructive manner vs strategically cutting the head off, they could do so. They are trying not to destroy what they want to conquer
They certainly have the resources to win this, but it doesn't appear they have the logistical/military leadership to do it efficiently whatsoever.
Fitch
AG
Apologies if already posted.

JobSecurity
AG
jabberwalkie09
AG
Fitch said:

Frankly I'm hoping that the arms shipments that all the countries said they're sending have made their way there already. But I fully expect the relevant parties to just procrastinate until it's to late and they go "well we tried."
FireAg
AG
Is the best Uke strategic plan to let RU forces in and then cut off their supplies?

They ain't going anywhere fast, it appears...
Bubblez
Putin likely has spent far more of his attention insulating himself from any sort of coup attempt than anything else.
jabberwalkie09
AG
FireAg said:

Is the best Uke strategic plan to let RU forces in and then cut off their supplies?

They ain't going anywhere fast, it appears...

Considering the number of convoys that have been smashed up recently look like resupply lines, I think that is a fair assessment. It was also discussed earlier on in the invasion that given their limited resources and technological inferior equipment (air and armor) that attacking the supply lines was probably their best chance at delaying the Russians.
Pinabobina
Oh nos

74OA
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Fitch said:

Frankly I'm hoping that the arms shipments that all the countries said they're sending have made their way there already. But I fully expect the relevant parties to just procrastinate until it's to late and they go "well we tried."
Still Getting Through
JobSecurity
AG
Houston Lee
AG
Sully Dog said:

ATX_AG_08 said:

I feel like you would want to move as another round is likely incoming
What hostile force in the residential apartments is the tank firing at?
JobSecurity
AG

No Spin Ag
74OA said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Fitch said:

Still Getting Through

Love it.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
TRM
AG
JobSecurity said:

That looks like the bombing from 2 days ago.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Nvm
No Spin Ag
Fitch said:

Ukrainians have got courage to spare.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
AggieLit
DannyDuberstein said:

I don't think they could do so at this point. The 40 mile convoy can't even make it to Kiev. They are in turmoil internally. A lot of posts on here seem to think that they're suddenly going to flip a switch and be the Russia we thought they were. That's sort of like, if your football team got 5 yards total offense in the first half, thinking they'll score 40 points in the second half. Happens once in a while, but usually you don't figure out how to play mid-game.
fullback44
AG
JFABNRGR said:

aTmAg said:

JobSecurity said:

Looks like this was wrong yesterday

I think it's more likely that the rest of NATO threatened Poland out of it.

NATO has made it clear that Ukraine is on their own. Basically saying "Good luck dudes. Maybe we'll let you in NATO if you somehow pull this out."

Hopefully this is all kabuki theatre. If not Ukraine is done without direct air or missile attacks on russian vehicles. The promise to supply All the shoulder fired anti tank weapons in the world wont be enough to repel the russians.

My opinion on this is that the Ukraine is hanging in there by a thread with the supplied weapons already on the way, Russians haven't been dominant so far, the EU and NATO want to give it a few days to see if sanctions cause Russia and the Oligarchs to throw Putin out, thus not escalate it so that Putin does something more dumber than he has already done .. if Russia starts slaughtering civilians the NATO will take all of the invading troops out and maybe take out Belarus while they are cleaning shop

But let's see what siezing the Oligarchs billions does first
FTAG 2000
AG
JobSecurity said:

That happened yesterday I think.
txags92
AG
Bubblez said:

Putin likely has spent far more of his attention insulating himself from any sort of coup attempt than anything else.
Yeah, I was about to say that staging a coup against the former head of the KGB is probably not as easy as people seem to want to make it. I doubt he lets very many armed people anywhere near him.
fightingfarmer09
Ag In Ok said:

Isn't that a repeat of their Georgian invasion where i recall seeing tank commanders out of the hatch and on their cell talking with their leadership?

Also, if they are iPhones is there a way we can locate Russian purchase iPhones in Ukraine and shut them down? Isn't this was the nsa is for?

The Chechen's were in Ukraine securing SIM cards. It was early in this thread.
First Page Last Page
Page 165 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.