***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,552,869 Views | 47733 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by 74OA
Waffledynamics
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not sure if this has been shared, but apparently the idea that Kyiv is encircled might be literal Russian disinformation.

https://nypost.com/2022/02/27/kyiv-fully-encircled-by-russia-millions-trapped-mayor/

Quote:

Kyiv's mayor said in an interview Sunday that Ukraine's capital was fully "encircled" by Russian troops with no way out only to try to backtrack hours later by claiming he was the victim of Russian "lies."
Quote:

Mayor Vitali Klitschko, a former heavyweight boxing champ, had told The Associated Press in a recorded interview that it was now impossible to evacuate the city "because all ways are blocked.

"Right now, we are encircled," he told the wire service of those remaining in the city of 2.8 million, many of whom have been forced to hide in bunker-like subway stations amid ongoing shelling.

"We are at the border of a humanitarian catastrophe," he said of dwindling stocks of food and medicine.

Then hours later, Klitschko took to Facebook and Telegram to claim reports of the city being surrounded and inescapable were the work of "Russian Internet editions" spreading misinformation.

"Don't believe the lies! Trust information only from official sources," he claimed.
Now, the question is... which one is really lying? Both Ukraine and Russia are good at that.
txags92
AG
Interesting that the tankers we had sitting just west of Ukraine have headed back west, without anybody replacing them. Or at least without a replacement with a transponder squawking. Wonder if they tanked up the Polish Migs just before they headed into Ukraine airspace.
SidsBurnerAccount
BTHOtrolls said:

Thanks for posting, this is information that makes TexAgs such a great community. Hope your friend stays safe and maintains internet to provide further updates.
Thanks. Last I heard from a Lithuanian energy exec I know was that he and his son (a doctor) had been called up. Not expecting to hear from him anytime soon.
JobSecurity
AG
Twitter says this is the first time since it started that we haven't had at least one tanker up
Strongweasel97
AG
JB!98 said:

Unless they have some way of refueling the Mig-29's they don't have the combat radius to get to Kyiv from Lviv and have any on station time. They really can't make if from Poland to Kyiv and back. The Mig-29 has short legs like the F-18, I just don't know how they will get them close enough to the action to be effective.

Unless they are meant to be CAP over the West as a last resort.
We've regularly had 1-2 Stratotankers circling Romanian airspace. UK has their tanker up there at times as well. Today, we had 2 Strato's and a KC10 Extender.

Now, will the Ukranian's be allowed to use them? That I don't know.
Robk
JobSecurity said:

Twitter says this is the first time since it started that we haven't had at least one tanker up

RTB? does this mean no transponders?
ttu_85
aTmAg said:

Why is always America who is concerned with escalation? Seems like the last war where we didn't care was WW2. Which, ironically, is the last war we really won. Maybe that is not a coincidence?
Well 99% of that war was before we could split atoms. Sucky constraint these days but one you have to look at if you dont want to kill the planet.

BenTheGoodAg
AG
TriAg2010 said:

aTmAg said:

Why is always America who is concerned with escalation? Seems like the last war where we didn't care was WW2. Which, ironically, is the last war we really won. Maybe that is not a coincidence?

There is long-standing concern that tit-for-tat escalations between nuclear powers leads to nuclear war. That is not exclusively an American perspective. We have never warred against a nuclear power, nor has Russia. The more we ratchet lethal aid to Ukraine and sanctions on Russia, the more we risk entering fully into war with Russia - a nuclear power - with the aforementioned concern of a slipper slope towards nukes flying. I think they are manageable risks, but we must act deliberately and consider how our actions will be perceived.

Honestly the biggest concern I have right now isn't providing lethal aid to Ukraine, it's that Europe has closed all available air space to reach Kaliningrad. I think that's a really bad idea because it pokes directly at one of Russia's biggest fears and insecurities without really advancing our war fighting objective. That's the kind of careless escalation we don't need that could make the conflict worse.

Not saying that the nuclear concern isn't a valid one, but I'm equally concerned that appeasement of Putin empowers the bad actors of the world to push us back and in continual retreat. If ever there were a just cause to stand up to evil in the last fifty years, this is that time. Good for Europe to stand up for themselves and their neighbors against imperial tyranny.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Strongweasel97
AG
JobSecurity said:

Twitter is wrong on that. See my post above. There's been a few times with none up there, at night that I've seen.

JobSecurity
AG
returning to base I assume
Who?mikejones!
JobSecurity said:

Maybe they are worried about retaliation for sending euro planes
dtkprowler
AG
What does this mean? Is it good or bad?
aggrad02
AG
If they can't get to Putin, kill those most loyal to him, sooner or later he'll have no one to follow his orders.
Ulysses90
AG
TriAg2010 said:

ttu_85 said:

txags92 said:

ttu_85 said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Jsimonds58 said:

Holy ****

Guy is a senior advisor EU parliament.
Then he is a dumbass announcing this. Good lord !!!
What if it is cover? Claim "NATO is giving them new jets that will be in the air shortly", then fly in a few pairs of F35s to dismantle the Russian armored columns traveling toward Kiev. Gives plausible deniability...as has been said, Putin is going to take it the same either way, so why go to the trouble of sending old crap planes.
Several problems. THe mig-29's are not at all stealthy. The F-35 is pretty darn but not perfectly stealthy. And advance radar could tell the difference. Besides the the F-35 is a front line NATO fighter first. Yes it can do ground attacks but how well? Four are not going to do it well enough to "dismantle" a Russian armored thrust.

The take away: Very high escalation risk for a minimal to moderate military return.

Introducing new battlefield tech (F-35s) is definitely more of an escalation that providing Ukraine more of something they already have (MiG-29s). It's a very fine line to walk. We want to defeat Russia without provoking them to escalate or retaliate in some new way.
The Link 16 is definitely not something that the Ukrainians already had but it's only going to be useful for a pilot that is familiar with it. I am not a pilot but I know that the data that flows over Link 16 can allow even MiG 29s to do some amazing things in terms of target handoff.
JobSecurity
AG
this is the location of the supposed russian pontoon crossing attempt
Strongweasel97
AG
dtkprowler said:

What does this mean? Is it good or bad?
Probably nothing up there to refuel at the moment. I wouldn't make too much of it...it's not the first time.
agsalaska
AG
No Spin Ag said:

Waffledynamics said:

Now that was awesome!
For anyone who missed it.

The Russians are getting totally embarrassed.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Ag In Ok
AG
So it must be safe to assume talks have broken down. Whoever the new general is for full support to throw in Belarus (passively admitting defeat to take Kiev) and ten or so divisions along the coast. Guess they are going to ride the shift in strategy for now.
JB!98
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

flakrat said:

txags92 said:

JobSecurity said:

This has been rumored all day but this is the biggest outlet to pick it up

Would be nice to see those new EU migs setup on the Belarus border and smoke those paratroopers out of the sky within a few minutes of entering UK airspace.
Or spread a bunch of stingers along the border!

Don't have the range. Stinger is a short range missile. They could potentially get them on ascent or descent, but not cruising altitude.
I think its important that everyone understands that the stinger is only good to about 10,000 ft and its slant range depends on the altitude of the target. Good against helo's and low flying aircraft. No impact to aircraft at an operating altitude. Now you can probably smack a IL-76 during their drop run, but with a 2lb warhead I think you might need more than one hit to bring one down.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
Jock 07
AG
aTmAg said:

Also the last war where nukes weren't a concern
buzzardb267
AG
Any chance they are replacing them with tankers with transponder turned off?
Strongweasel97
AG
buzzardb267 said:

Any chance they are replacing them with tankers with transponder turned off?
I was just about to post this as well. A big: None are up there, "that we know of."
JB!98
AG
Strongweasel97 said:

JB!98 said:

Unless they have some way of refueling the Mig-29's they don't have the combat radius to get to Kyiv from Lviv and have any on station time. They really can't make if from Poland to Kyiv and back. The Mig-29 has short legs like the F-18, I just don't know how they will get them close enough to the action to be effective.

We've regularly had 1-2 Stratotankers circling Romanian airspace. UK has their tanker up there at times as well. Today, we had 2 Strato's and a KC10 Extender.

Yeah, but you would need to tank the Mig 29's someplace between Lviv and Kyiv. That is in a high threat environment.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
Ulysses90
AG
JB!98 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

flakrat said:

txags92 said:

JobSecurity said:

Would be nice to see those new EU migs setup on the Belarus border and smoke those paratroopers out of the sky within a few minutes of entering UK airspace.

Don't have the range. Stinger is a short range missile. They could potentially get them on ascent or descent, but not cruising altitude.
I think its important that everyone understands that the stinger is only good to about 10,000 ft and its slant range depends on the altitude of the target. Good against helo's and low flying aircraft. No impact to aircraft at an operating altitude. Now you can probably smack a IL-76 during their drop run, but with a 2lb warhead I think you might need more than one hit to bring one down.

From what altitude do paratroopers debark a aircraft using static lines? If the Ukrainians have some idea of the likely drop zones then they might very well be able to seed the area and likely approaches with stingers.

Perhaps a friendly AWACS flying over the Black Sea could send some info over Link 16 to a MiG 29 that would be able to easily intercept an IL-76.
JB!98
AG
buzzardb267 said:

Any chance they are replacing them with tankers with transponder turned off
Are there any AWACS that are showing up? I would be more concerned if there were no AWACS.
Strongweasel97
AG
JB!98 said:

Strongweasel97 said:

JB!98 said:

Yeah, but you would need to tank the Mig 29's someplace between Lviv and Kyiv. That is in a high threat environment.
Good point.
Seabreeze
Will be light soon in Ukraine, they still stand as free independent nation. For Russia, well it's Groundhog day... again.
Build It
AG
Live stream, Kiev has sound. What time the Paratroopers expected?

JobSecurity
AG
Talon2DSO
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

JobSecurity said:

Maybe they are worried about retaliation for sending euro planes

Looks like one of those was ours. It's a KC135 that was poking holes in the sky for a bit.

aTmAg
AG
TriAg2010 said:

aTmAg said:

There is long-standing concern that tit-for-tat escalations between nuclear powers leads to nuclear war. That is not exclusively an American perspective. We have never warred against a nuclear power, nor has Russia. The more we ratchet lethal aid to Ukraine and sanctions on Russia, the more we risk entering fully into war with Russia - a nuclear power - with the aforementioned concern of a slipper slope towards nukes flying. I think they are manageable risks, but we must act deliberately and consider how our actions will be perceived.

Honestly the biggest concern I have right now isn't providing lethal aid to Ukraine, it's that Europe has closed all available air space to reach Kaliningrad. I think that's a really bad idea because it pokes directly at one of Russia's biggest fears and insecurities without really advancing our war fighting objective. That's the kind of careless escalation we don't need that could make the conflict worse.
The question was rhetorical.

We have warred against a nuclear power. Both the Soviet Union and China participated in Vietnam and killed American soldiers. They used our weakness and fear of escalation against us. They knew we would not attack them so they were emboldened to attack us. That is why we never win wars anymore.

Our enemies should be afraid as hell to join anybody against us. Hell even a non-nuclear Iran has no qualms fighting us in wars. It's pathetic.

One thing that Ghengis Kahn got right was to treat your friends damn well, and crush your enemies if they attack you and anybody who helps them. Hell, he once crushed a former ally who pulled a Biden and refused to help when Mongolia was attacked. He understood that you needed to make it so people want to be your friend and do NOT want to be your enemy. What he did wrong, was go out looking for a fight wherever he can. That and genocide. We shouldn't do any of that part.
JB!98
AG
Ulysses90 said:

JB!98 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

flakrat said:

txags92 said:

JobSecurity said:

From what altitude do paratroopers debark a aircraft using static lines? If the Ukrainians have some idea of the likely drop zones then they might very well be able to seed the area and likely approaches with stingers.

Perhaps a friendly AWACS flying over the Black Sea could send some info over Link 16 to a MiG 29 that would be able to easily intercept an IL-76.
I have no idea the altitude of a normal drop. Someone on here knows for sure.
fullback44
AG
txags92 said:

Interesting that the tankers we had sitting just west of Ukraine have headed back west, without anybody replacing them. Or at least without a replacement with a transponder squawking. Wonder if they tanked up the Polish Migs just before they headed into Ukraine airspace.
Let's just all be serious on this, I promise if the EU is giving the Ukraine these planes, you can be dam sure they will make sure they are refueled, they won't be telling any of us or Russia where / how they are refueling them but you can bet your arse they are "safely" being refueled as needed
ABATTBQ11
AG
Return To Base
swc93
AG
Time for The Russian Revolution 2.0 or 3.0 or 4.0; not sure how many they have had but I do know they are damn fond of them.
First Page Last Page
Page 124 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.