***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,553,943 Views | 47734 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by 74OA
Irish 2.0
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure if this is additional Russian banks
Irish 2.0
crowman2010
AG
AggieLostinDallas said:

EU support is becoming a tidal wave…

Guess what happens in 2 weeks
GAC06
AG
Jock 07 said:

JobSecurity said:

Irish 2.0 said:

flakrat said:

According to https://www.defconlevel.com/ we are still at Defcon 3, no change since Putin's statement.

Biden won't do that. It'll spook our market pretty bad if he did.

That website is run by some joe schmoe and has nothing to do with our or any other govt

This. The DoD isn't publishing the current DEFCON for public consumption.

Lots of instances where we announced DEFCON changes
RONA Ag
AG
It's going to be exciting to see come Monday what happens in Russia. As soon as the everyday population can't access their money you'd think widespread protesting and rioting would begin
Irish 2.0

The world has united and public enemy #1 is Russia
JFABNRGR
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

proof that decoys work. Now imagine a anti-tank weapon opposite of that!
“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn
cone
AG
trying to replay the Hungarian Revolution with these AT weapons isn't going to work
i is smart
AG
Minister of Foreign Affairs (Ukraine) provided an update. Just started listening so don't have cliff notes.

aggielostinETX
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

The world has united and public enemy #1 is Russia

Queue Kat Williams "Everything" snippet
richardag
wildmen09 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

What incentive is there for Russia to deescalate (other than getting their ass kicked)?

How likely will stopping this war lead to the world giving them back their financial permissions? Why would the un, eu and so forth give anything back unless putin steps down?

Quitting will lead to Russia being punished further than they already area. putin himself might have to give up power for Russia to be saved.

Putin has lost his mind. Either his political partners must remove him or this escalates.
The question would be, who takes over if Putin is removed or killed? Is that actually worse where an unknown is taking the controls of nukes in a country in shambles? It's be akin to NK or Iran having nukes now, or a lot of them at least.
Consider the reasoning for eliminating Putin. Any General or oligarch eliminating Putin would most likely be self preservation and realization the megalomaniacal tactics of Putin are not serving the interests of them or Russia.

But then, that assumes there are any rational thinking people at high enough level to eliminate Putin.
cone
AG

now this is what I call propaganda (in a good way)
richardag
74OA said:

richardag said:

74OA said:

The Russian army is reverting to type. LOOTING
Seems this is distracting them from their mission. Is this an example of a lack of discipline?
Of course, that and their logistics being in a shambles.
Sorry should have clarified, was referring to looting in what appears to be a bank or local ATM.

The scavenging for food is a separate issue.
RedNeckGamer88
AG
[There is a clear warning on the OP and you ignored it. -Staff]
SidsBurnerAccount
RONA Ag said:

It's going to be exciting to see come Monday what happens in Russia. As soon as the everyday population can't access their money you'd think widespread protesting and rioting would begin
I think the anti-government protests in Minsk may be the tipping point. If the government of Russia's only ally (with Kazakhstan bowing out) were to fall, it would be hard for the general Russian populace not to find out and be more emboldened.
Ulysses90
AG
Quote:

Where is the Russian air force?

It almost seems as if the Russian air force's primary capability is putting on a good acrobatic display at the Paris air show.

One thing that looms large in every report about the Russian army is that they are weapon platform focused and seemingly have forgotten (or never knew to begin with) how to employ combined arms and the importance of command, control, and communication systems. They attitude of Russian planners seems to be based on Stalin's dictum that "quantity has a quality all it's own". While true, they didn't really allocate enough mass to succeed by brute force and they have suffered heavy losses.

I don't know whether Russian infantry units have an organic tactical air control party (TACP) that coordinates CAS but it doesn't seem like it. I also recall from talking with a Ukrainian (Soviet trained) classmate at Ft Sill 25 years ago that the Soviet doctrine for employing artillery doesn't provide direct support artillery that answers to specific battalion sized units. Their concept is to mass fires at what the US Army would call DIVARTY level and obliterate a grid square at a time for targets generated at the Division level. That mindeterrent isn't serving them well.
Talon2DSO
AG
Anyone know of any organizations needing donations to help out there?
Jock 07
AG
GAC06 said:

Jock 07 said:

JobSecurity said:

Irish 2.0 said:

flakrat said:

According to https://www.defconlevel.com/ we are still at Defcon 3, no change since Putin's statement.

Biden won't do that. It'll spook our market pretty bad if he did.

That website is run by some joe schmoe and has nothing to do with our or any other govt

This. The DoD isn't publishing the current DEFCON for public consumption.

Lots of instances where we announced DEFCON changes

In recent times? Help me recall when.
jobu93
AG
On this Sunday morning I'm thrilled to eat Crow. I was wrong that Kiev would fall and I was wrong that Zelensky would perish there.

I remain perplexed that Russia did this the way they did. If we say that 25% of an army are the actual trigger squeezers they were vastly undermanned. Then you look at the 3 axis of attack and they were wildly low. Their combined arms assault is honestly at a level below what should be expected.

Here's my worries, starting with immediate and then strategic

Immediate:
Russian stability no matter how the rest of this plays out. Putin is hobbled internally and at the moment surpasses N Korea as ******* for the year.

Long term: financial hammer about to fall on Russia so leaders need to be aware they don't create too restrictive too punitive too long lasting sanctions that slide into a Versailles scenario.

Lastly I wonder if Armor is going to fall far back to a support role and no longer be the tip of the spear regarding advancement. T72s and T80s popping like bloated cans of tuna against the AT weapons in the field are going to force some major changes in doctrine.
SidsBurnerAccount

Canada and Nordics joining in restricting all Russian flights.
Waffledynamics
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Any corroboration to this?
SidsBurnerAccount
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AFL124/history/20220227/1140Z/UUEE/KJFK

Tracking some current Aeroflot flights from Moscow to JFK and Cancun. Canada closing airspace makes for interesting decisions on whether they have to fly back. Also increases friction points with the West.

Irish 2.0
Given the source, it's kind of coming from the horses mouth.
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)
Whoop Delecto
AG
maverick2076
oldmanguy said:

Lastly I wonder if Armor is going to fall far back to a support role and no longer be the tip of the spear regarding advancement. T72s and T80s popping like bloated cans of tuna against the AT weapons in the field are going to force some major changes in doctrine.

Armor is best used as part of a coordinated, combined arms strategy with infantry, air and artillery support. The Russians combined arms coordination has been practically nonexistent. They are coming into battle piecemeal and being defeated in detail.
JFABNRGR
AG
Ulysses90 said:

Quote:

Where is the Russian air force?

It almost seems as if the Russian air force's primary capability is putting on a good acrobatic display at the Paris air show.

One thing that looms large in every report about the Russian army is that they are weapon platform focused and seemingly have forgotten (or never knew to begin with) how to employ combined arms and the importance of command, control, and communication systems. They attitude of Russian planners seems to be based on Stalin's dictum that "quantity has a quality all it's own". While true, they didn't really allocate enough mass to succeed by brute force and they have suffered heavy losses.

I don't know whether Russian infantry units have an organic tactical air control party (TACP) that coordinates CAS but it doesn't seem like it. I also recall from talking with a Ukrainian (Soviet trained) classmate at Ft Sill 25 years ago that the Soviet doctrine for employing artillery doesn't provide direct support artillery that answers to specific battalion sized units. Their concept is to mass fires at what the US Army would call DIVARTY level and obliterate a grid square at a time for targets generated at the Division level. That mindeterrent isn't serving them well.
EXACTLY. I am shocked at their lack of combined arms strategy and tactics. Hell, simply leaving an entire column of vehicles and armor parked next to each other without having control of the air and knowing all of the Anti-Armor handhelds out there defies all security logic. This assumes that air to ground vid is current. The aftermath of a single strike could decimate the whole column.
“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn
SidsBurnerAccount
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60548382

BP exiting from it's stake in Rosneft.
RONA Ag
AG
Wonder why we have also not shut down flights for Russian private and public flights? Feel like this needs to be done especially to cut off certain Russian oligarchs in the US from returning to the motherland .

74OA
AG
RedNeckGamer88 said:

cone said:

now this is what I call propaganda (in a good way)
If only we had that kind of propaganda when we were destroying civilian power stations and infrastructure during the Iraq war.

The purpose for which someone acts is as important as the act itself.

To conflate US purpose in Iraq with Russia's invasion of Ukraine shows a lack of moral compass.

"Whatever may be the moral ambiguities of the so-called democratic nations, and however serious may be their failure to conform perfectly to their democratic ideals, it is sheer moral perversity to equate the inconsistencies of a democratic civilization with the brutalities which modern tyrannical states practice."
(Reinhold Niebuhr, 1892 1971, theologian and pacifist)
BQ78
AG
Psyops story I heard on Fox this morning. It is brilliant but unfortunately, we would never do this as it is against the Geneva Convention. Ukrainians are having Russian conscript POWs call their moms to ask why they are in Ukraine.
Rick Burns
AG
I'm amazed at video after video of destroyed Russian armor convoys. Why are they still sending in armor? They are getting their *** kicked on the streets.
WestTexAg12
AG
JFABNRGR said:

Agthatbuilds said:

proof that decoys work. Now imagine a anti-tank weapon opposite of that!

Just wait til the Russians start using their Inflatable Military Dummy. Lol

B-1 83
AG
oldmanguy said:

On this Sunday morning I'm thrilled to eat Crow. I was wrong that Kiev would fall and I was wrong that Zelensky would perish there.

I remain perplexed that Russia did this the way they did. If we say that 25% of an army are the actual trigger squeezers they were vastly undermanned. Then you look at the 3 axis of attack and they were wildly low. Their combined arms assault is honestly at a level below what should be expected.

Here's my worries, starting with immediate and then strategic

Immediate:
Russian stability no matter how the rest of this plays out. Putin is hobbled internally and at the moment surpasses N Korea as ******* for the year.

Long term: financial hammer about to fall on Russia so leaders need to be aware they don't create too restrictive too punitive too long lasting sanctions that slide into a Versailles scenario.

Well thought out.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
YellAgs
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

IAEA website says low level waste storage facilty. no release of materials anyway. meh

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/pressreleases/update-3-iaea-director-general-statement-on-situation-in-ukraine
RONA Ag
AG
SidsBurnerAccount said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60548382

BP exiting from it's stake in Rosneft.

I'll say one thing, Britain should be commended for their part in all of this. From being some of the toughest in their language and support for Ukraine to government officials openly stating that should British citizens make the decision to go and fight in Ukraine that they would not be hindered they've truly been a positive force in all this.

Not to mention all the weapons they sent to Ukraine
First Page Last Page
Page 108 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.