***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,554,979 Views | 47734 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by 74OA
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JobSecurity
AG
oragator
Interesting read on how maybe even Putin has fallen victim to his generals and their overconfidence, as well as why the operation is facing other setbacks,
https://twitter.com/delfoo/status/1497498201527521281?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1497498201527521281%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html1497498201527521281
GigEmRangers75455
Anyone else wondering about javelin missiles like I was. This seems exactly like what's needed in this situation. Mobile, lightweight yet powerful. Especially when Russians are just riding down highways with tanks.

TAMUallen
AG
Eliminatus said:

Someone earlier had mentioned that putting styrofoam in gasoline would make a poor mans napalm.

It's an old trick and this proves it it got around.

Also once again shows this is an all hands fight. It's going to be a long day I think for the Ukes. If the orders to take at all costs is true, today will probably be a pivotal day.

Not saying I've done this in college or have seen it done but I'm pretty sure that gasoline gets sticky and burns a while when styrofoam dissolves in it
jbeck3487
AG
Aggies75455 said:

Anyone else wondering about javelin missiles like I was. This seems exactly like what's needed in this situation. Mobile, lightweight yet powerful. Especially when Russians are just riding down highways with tanks.

They have been used along with similar type weapons to take out armored vehicles.
FTAco07
AG
My driveway and yard growing up had more than a few black marks from plastic coke bottles filled with gas and packing peanuts that may or may not have been lit on fire by neighborhood ruffians
WestTexAg12
AG
Aggies75455 said:

I had Javs for 2 years in the Corps. Awesome weapon. 99% hit probability up to 2500m as long as you get a good lock. We pushed targets to 3500m and still hit. It takes 7 different and unique heat signatures and locks in. What's cool about that is that even if armored vics throw up flares, it stays locked and doesn't get confused.
buzzardb267
AG
Eliminatus said:

Someone earlier had mentioned that putting styrofoam in gasoline would make a poor mans napalm.

It's an old trick and this proves it it got around.

Also once again shows this is an all hands fight. It's going to be a long day I think for the Ukes. If the orders to take at all costs is true, today will probably be a pivotal day.
My Dad was on a carrier in the Pacific during WW II. He said they ran out of napalm and soaked ruined tires in diesel to substitute for napalm. No idea if that was old memories or the truth. "Necessity is the mother of invention".
Eliminatus
AG
Aggies75455 said:

It's greatest strength is it's range and why it is a perfect complement to the newer NLAW. These are simple to use as well. I took a two week course on the system was considered an SME on it. I could reasonably train someone on it in less than an hour and create a whole mess of what is effectively tank snipers with little effort. They are rated at over 2km range with very high accuracy and were created to fight the very same vehicles we are seeing in Ukraine right now.

Someone with a little training can fire this out of an apartment window and be out of the room and down the hallway before it hit. These things are clunky and an absolute pain the ass to lug around but man are they good at what they do.

The Command Launch Unit used to fire the thing is an extremely capable observation device in itself and is fantastic as a powerful observation tool with several different viewing modes.

TLDR: These things are badass. no sure how they hold up to the latest and greatest armor but they are death against what we are seeing in Ukraine.
Engine10
AG
Sun rises on another day for Ukraine. God speed!
ATX_AG_08
AG
We used to make it all the time as kids. It turns into a thick jelly that burns forever, just like napalm.
HowdyTAMU
AG
Anyone else mention how nice it is for the USA to have an armed public with a constitutional right to stay proficient?
BusterAg
AG
Thanks. Texags appreciates info.
deddog
AG
Ulysses90 said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

erudite said:

Keegan99 said:

My SWAG would be thermobaric. Those have been seen in theater, reportedly.
TOS-1 was confirmed near Mariupol I believe. Not near Kiev.

TOS-1's have been spotted in a couple of areas. Today one was spotted in Takmok. They have been spotted near Belgorod as well. I'd put money on the videos that have come from around Kharkiv showing the artillery attack was from TOS-1's from near Belgorod.
The TOS-1 Buratinos only have a range of about 6km. They are basically a weapons for reducing a nearby fortified position. Belgorod is about 80km from Kharkiv and they have had time to cover that distance since they were spotted this morning moving across the border from Belgorod.

TOS-1A has double the range, still not a lot by modern standards.
The Russians also have regular RPGs (RPO-A ?) that also have thermobaric warheads.

Good for use in urban areas to take out snipers and enemy combatants in buildings
TAMUallen
AG
Seems calm... Do Russians do 8-5 now?
agsalaska
AG

Vice news has some awesome content from foreign places and have been in Ukraine since the first invasion in 2014. This is a great video.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Jayhawk
So much for the vaunted Chechens.
deddog
AG
Jayhawk said:

So much for the vaunted Chechens.
I sincerely hope this is true.
TAMUallen
AG
agsalaska said:

Vice news has some awesome content from foreign places and have been in Ukraine since the first invasion in 2014. This is a great video.

They were imbedded and a great honest source at the beginning
erudite
deddog said:

Ulysses90 said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

erudite said:

Keegan99 said:

My SWAG would be thermobaric. Those have been seen in theater, reportedly.
TOS-1 was confirmed near Mariupol I believe. Not near Kiev.

TOS-1's have been spotted in a couple of areas. Today one was spotted in Takmok. They have been spotted near Belgorod as well. I'd put money on the videos that have come from around Kharkiv showing the artillery attack was from TOS-1's from near Belgorod.
The TOS-1 Buratinos only have a range of about 6km. They are basically a weapons for reducing a nearby fortified position. Belgorod is about 80km from Kharkiv and they have had time to cover that distance since they were spotted this morning moving across the border from Belgorod.

TOS-1A has double the range, still not a lot by modern standards.
The Russians also have regular RPGs (RPO-A ?) that also have thermobaric warheads.

Good for use in urban areas to take out snipers and enemy combatants in buildings
The Shmel? That's an infantry based, 90mm/78mm/62mm (Edit: "RPG" like) depending on variant.
Most analogous to it is the USA's M202 Flash, however RPO-A is single shot versus 4x 88mm.
Either one will ruin your day for sure.
BusterAg
AG
Talon2DSO said:

RedNeckGamer88 said:

I think allot of people are looking at this invasion completely wrong. Russia is trying to surround all the major cities and minimize civilian casualties. The 2003 Iraq war invasion took about a month. This was with the US blowing up power stations, destroying utilities and infrastructure. Also, the Ukraine much better military then Iraq. People in Iraq went without running water and power for more than a year in some cases. As far as I can tell, If Russia wanted to, they could level Kiev, and they could be cutting power and completely wrecking the place like we did in Iraq.

I am assuming that Russia will encircle all the civilian locations and starve them out and focus on directly taking over government infrastructure. They want to "capture" Ukraine and keep the place intact. Destroying the country does them no good.

This is the same Russian government that gassed 300 people in a theater. They don't care about casualties

This is an assumption that I question.

We don't really know the Russian people. Maybe they are nor OK with this anymore.
sanangelo
AG
JobSecurity said:

seems like ukrainian propaganda but nonetheless

The tweeter has a blue checkmark and claims to work for Voice of America News from Washington DC, according to her bio. IOW, not Ukrainian...
San Angelo LIVE!
https://sanangelolive.com/
Not a Bot
AG
Missed this Twitter thread from yesterday:

Not a Bot
AG
TyHolden
AG
Russia don't have drones?
Gordo14
Seems oddly quiet in Ukraine today? Wonder if that's an indication of the current status of the Russian military.
clw04
AG
Gordo14 said:

Seems oddly quiet in Ukraine today? Wonder if that's an indication of the current status of the Russian military.
Several videos out for Russian Troops moving in Kharkiv. I expect Russia to try and take Kharkiv today and then try to take Kyiv no later than tomorrow. I think Ukraine hurt Russia's plans a little bit for Kyiv with significantly degrading the Chechen capabilities yesterday.

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/27-february-video-russian-troops-in-kharkiv

Gordo14
clw04 said:

Gordo14 said:

Several videos out for Russian Troops moving in Kharkiv. I expect Russia to try and take Kharkiv today and then try to take Kyiv no later than tomorrow. I think Ukraine hurt Russia's plans a little bit for Kyiv with significantly degrading the Chechen capabilities yesterday.

I saw the videos, but it seemed to be a group of vehicles on a suicide mission and then a bunch of guys without armor support. Maybe there's more to it. But either way there is no way they can fully takeover Kharkiv in a day. Urban combat is just too difficult.

My point is the momentum they had has completely disappeared.
Big Al 1992
AG
So many questions -
Could Rubio have sources inside the Kremlin that are not going along with Putin?
Would the US/NATO help overthrow Putin behind the scenes?
Is Putin and his officers/administration now and forever officially war criminals and could be arrested if someone gets to him?
Eliminatus
AG
Gordo14 said:

clw04 said:

Gordo14 said:

I saw the videos, but it seemed to be a group of vehicles on a suicide mission and then a bunch of guys without armor support. Maybe there's more to it. But either way there is no way they can fully takeover Kharkiv in a day. Urban combat is just too difficult.

My point is the momentum they had has completely disappeared.
Goes hand in hand with the reports of overextended supply lines.

Modern armies have never been more lethal in history but they HAVE to have huge amounts of consumables every single day just to move and not starve, not even counting actual combat. Several reports that their advanced weapons are extremely limited now and again explains what we seeing now.

Then there is the timing. we are going into day four of this. No amount of momentum can be kept up by the same troops for that long. The feared Nazi blitzkriegs were literally fueled with meth and even they hit their limits.

I truly believe the Russians are being ground down. This is quickly turning into a war of attrition which doesn't bode well for Russia considering how little they actually committed to initial invasion.
TRM
AG

clw04
AG
Russian Shelling of Western Ukraine being reported. 9 Miles from Poland border.

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/27-february-russian-forces-shelled-volodymyr-in-western-ukraine

deddog
AG
Caption says Russian SOF being engaged by Ukranians

clw04
AG
Currently has identified heavy fighting in Northeast Ukraine (Kharkiv, Sumy), Western Kyiv, and shelling in Western Ukraine. Russia has also made steady gains in Southern Ukraine.
First Page Last Page
Page 98 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.