***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,554,890 Views | 47734 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by 74OA
cone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
if Putin thought he was going to eventually **** with the Baltic states in a direct military way, that **** looks completely impossible now, for the foreseeable future.

Taiwan also looking like a much much harder target.
cone
AG
Ulrich said:

It seems like if Russia had finished the deal immediately without too much resistance, everyone was prepared to accept it. The longer Ukraine holds out and makes it clear that they really don't want this, the more governments around the world feel compelled to exert pressure on Russia.

Russia has broken the norms expected of modern nation states.

agree 100%

they needed to break UKR's back on day 1 (i.e. what was expected)
OKC~Ag
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

China was probably seriously contemplating invading Taiwan. Their demographic window is closing and they perceive the current administration as weak based on Afghanistan.

The present Russian debacle probably gives them a lot of pause. As I understand it, the Taiwanese are bad mfers with far better armaments than the Ukes. Plus, it would be amphibious as opposed to open plains.
Seriously doubt chinese would overtake Taiwan by force...Yes, chinese have the firepower to overtake taiwan by force but broken taiwan is of no value to them... They know that and that is conumdrum that they can't solve.

Unlike Ukraine, the value of Twaiwn is intellectual tallents that resides there and any disturbance will disspate that and that said tallent will relocate likely USA...

This not even accounting for potential blow back with real war with US and allies likely Japan, Australia possibly korea supporting the war effort against china... That is a bad scenario chinese can't win...
n_touch
Talon2DSO said:

TH36 said:

I looked up plane tickets to get to Poland today, $1100 and I could be within a short drive of the Ukraine border. If I didn't have a wife and child, I might just do it. All I ever dreamed of when I was kid was being in the military but mine wouldn't take me cause I've got asthma. I bet they'd hand me a AK over there and welcome anyone with open arms willing to fight. I absolutely love these people. We've got to keep showing them how much the world loves them. I hope they somehow know that the whole world is stressed out over their situation hanging on with them. They will go down in history no matter what happens as putting up one of the greatest fights the world has ever seen.

Sorry if this is a derail. I can't tell y'all how much I appreciate y'all keeping this going. It's been a wealth of info for those of us who have no social media accounts of our own to dig some of this stuff up. I've been relying on YouTube live streams.

I've been dreaming to do this too. I was in the military and did my time and miss it. I finished my career at JSOC back in 2004. I'm too chubby these days but the desire is still there.
That just means we are better insulated for the cold.
Talon2DSO
AG
I iike how you think. I don't fit into any of my uniforms. So that means I'm good to like -5 F
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
n_touch
Talon2DSO said:

I iike how you think. I don't fit into any of my uniforms. So that means I'm good to like -5 F
I may be able to, but that's not a battle I'm willing to wage tonight.
redline248
AG
Some of these "breaking" tweets are hours old
RedNeckGamer88
AG
I think allot of people are looking at this invasion completely wrong. Russia is trying to surround all the major cities and minimize civilian casualties. The 2003 Iraq war invasion took about a month. This was with the US blowing up power stations, destroying utilities and infrastructure. Also, the Ukraine much better military then Iraq. People in Iraq went without running water and power for more than a year in some cases. As far as I can tell, If Russia wanted to, they could level Kiev, and they could be cutting power and completely wrecking the place like we did in Iraq.

I am assuming that Russia will encircle all the civilian locations and starve them out and focus on directly taking over government infrastructure. They want to "capture" Ukraine and keep the place intact. Destroying the country does them no good.
Ulysses90
AG
erudite said:

Russian "recon" seems to be so far, "Send a group of conscripts in an old BMP and see where they get blown up". Granted, that is exactly what happened in Chechnya war no 1 But you would think they learn?

You made me recall an experience I had about 25 years ago when I was a student at the Field Artillery advanced course in 1997. I had a Ukrainian 1stLt in my small group named Igor. Igor he was a product of the Soviet era military system. He had been a cadet in the Soviet military academy but the dissolution of the USSR meant that he was in the Ukrainian Army.

I will never forget the discussion of a plan for a defense against a "Krasnovian" Motor Rifle Regiment on NTC terrain. The eight US officers were trying to see their defenses through the eyes of the enemy. Igor insisted that we were overthinking the problem and that our battle positions would be easily discovered by the Krasnovian advanced reconnaissance element which consisted of a platoon of tanks and BMPs and then would be pounded by artillery. The US officers disagreed because as we talked through Igor's description of how the ARC would approach it was obviously a suicide mission. Igor shrugged and said, "of course it is."

For a moment I wondered if Igor was just stupid and he was thinking the same about us. He explained that in an attack of this sort or a movement to contact, the lead battalion in a Russian MRR would not employ scouts in the way that a US Armored Cav troop would but instead would designate a platoon as the ARC. Igor said that before crossing the line of departure they would have a informal ceremony to pin the awards for valor on the soldiers comprising the ARC and perhaps toast the Motherland before moving out. That was because their chances of survival were expected to be low and their purpose was merely to draw fire from the defending force and expose the location of the battle positioned. If any of the members of the ARC were lucky enough to survive they would already be decorated which meant that they were exempt from consideration to be in the ARC for the next operation.
flashplayer
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

Ha, what a schaudenfraude if true. Please be true.
Keegan99
AG
That tweet is from 6+ hours ago.
htxag09
AG
Seabreeze said:

Will be light soon in Ukraine, they still stand as free independent nation. For Russia, well it's Groundhog day... again..

I just truly don't understand what Putin is trying to do. The Ukrainian people have proven that they want no part of Russia. If and when Russia takes over what's he expecting? I feel like they will revolt every day they are under Russian control.
GarryowenAg
AG
Keegan99 said:

Good catch. Guess we'll wait for the confirmation.
EastSideAg2002
Ulysses90 said:

erudite said:

Russian "recon" seems to be so far, "Send a group of conscripts in an old BMP and see where they get blown up". Granted, that is exactly what happened in Chechnya war no 1 But you would think they learn?

You made me recall an experience I had about 25 years ago when I was a student at the Field Artillery advanced course in 1997. I had a Ukrainian 1stLt in my small group named Igor. Igor he was a product of the Soviet era military system. He had been a cadet in the Soviet military academy but the dissolution of the USSR meant that he was in the Ukrainian Army.

I will never forget the discussion of a plan for a defense against a "Krasnovian" Motor Rifle Regiment on NTC terrain. The eight US officers were trying to see their defenses through the eyes of the enemy. Igor insisted that we were overthinking the problem and that our battle positions would be easily discovered by the Krasnovian advanced reconnaissance element which consisted of a platoon of tanks and BMPs and then would be pounded by artillery. The US officers disagreed because as we talked through Igor's description of how the ARC would approach it was obviously a suicide mission. Igor shrugged and said, "of course it is."

For a moment I wondered if Igor was just stupid and he was thinking the same about us. He explained that in an attack of this sort or a movement to contact, the lead battalion in a Russian MRR would not employ scouts in the way that a US Armored Cav troop would but instead would designate a platoon as the ARC. Igor said that before crossing the line of departure they would have a informal ceremony to pin the awards for valor on the soldiers comprising the ARC and perhaps toast the Motherland before moving out. That was because their chances of survival were expected to be low and their purpose was merely to draw fire from the defending force and expose the location of the battle positioned. If any of the members of the ARC were lucky enough to survive they would already be decorated which meant that they were exempt from consideration to be in the ARC for the next operation.
JB!98
AG
RedNeckGamer88 said:

I think allot of people are looking at this invasion completely wrong. Russia is trying to surround all the major cities and minimize civilian casualties. The 2003 Iraq war invasion took about a month. This was with the US blowing up power stations, destroying utilities and infrastructure. Also, the Ukraine much better military then Iraq. People in Iraq went without running water and power for more than a year in some cases. As far as I can tell, If Russia wanted to, they could level Kiev, and they could be cutting power and completely wrecking the place like we did in Iraq.

I am assuming that Russia will encircle all the civilian locations and starve them out and focus on directly taking over government infrastructure. They want to "capture" Ukraine and keep the place intact. Destroying the country does them no good.

I don't remember our forces running out of fuel, abandoning their equipment, and looting places for food. I also do not remember us not having air superiority in a short period of time or trying to make air assaults where our C-17's were shot out of the sky. I think you are right on the outright points, but others of us are pointing out the weaknesses that they have shown over the last three days that our military would not have.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
txaggie02
AG
So, this has been going on only a few days and Ukraine is already asking for more ammunition. A decent amount was agreed upon by NATO today, which is awesome. I believe that came through Poland. What's going to happen when Russia takes over western Ukraine and cuts off access to Ukraine from BBC any NATO country via land, but there are still plenty of Ukrainian soldiers with no way to get them more ammunition? Wouldn't be much worse for there to be 40-50k members of their military with all this heart and will, but then run out of ammunition and literally have to give up. Guessing there's no flying anything into Ukraine at this point.
JobSecurity
AG
I think everyone in this thread is on the same page. That's certainly their goal - but I dont think Russia can last that long unless they can cut off Ukraine's NATO resupply routes. Russia is going to be starved out way before Ukraine
TAMUallen
AG
redline248 said:

Some of these "breaking" tweets are hours old

And reposts
Whirligigs
JB!98 said:

RedNeckGamer88 said:

I don't remember our forces running out of fuel, abandoning their equipment, and looting places for food. I also do not remember us not having air superiority in a short period of time or trying to make air assaults where our C-17's were shot out of the sky. I think you are right on the outright points, but others of us are pointing out the weaknesses that they have shown over the last three days that our military would not have.

Oh we have abandoned equipment.
bonfarr
AG
Keegan99 said:

If it were true there would be images of surrendering Russkies all over the Internet by now
JB!98
AG
Whirligigs said:

JB!98 said:

RedNeckGamer88 said:

Oh we have abandoned equipment.
Yeah, I was talking about Iraq! Afghanistan is a entirely different animal!
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
Whirligigs
I know I'm just being that guy. Imagine if we just have given all our afghan assets to the Ukrainians. They might be in Moscow by now.
TAMUallen
AG
bonfarr said:

Keegan99 said:

If it were true there would be images of surrendering Russkies all over the Internet by now

Maybe, I doubt you'd post proof of their failed attempt before they even knew they were missing chunks of it
rgag12
AG
flashplayer said:

Red Pear Realty said:

Ha, what a schaudenfraude if true. Please be true.

Probably just propaganda
RedNeckGamer88
AG
JB!98 said:

RedNeckGamer88 said:

True, but stupid **** did happen. I didn't serve in the initial invasion. But I seem to remember a national guard unit getting lost, running out of ammo and surrendering. The whole Jessica Lynch incident was always taught as an example of what not to do. I have no ideal how the Russia military operates, but I feel like things are allot more "loose". It is surprising that they don't have full air superiority. Is that because of all the manpads? idk.
RangerRick9211
AG
Rubio update.

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1497776719855591431?s=20&t=eUbkJltuvcM6fuZZd0Ni1Q
richardag
Dan Scott said:

I was refreshing my memory on Iraq war and reminded it took 3 weeks to capture Baghdad. It wasn't until May when Bush declared mission accomplished. The war began in mid March.

Maybe we're being a little too harsh expecting Russia to capture Kyiv over a weekend.

This is how we started the war. We started stronger than Russia.

Completely false comparison. Saddam Hussein had the 4th or 5th largest army in the planet. They were battle hardened after fighting Iran for years.
Iraq also had some of the most sophisticated air defense systems available in that era.
Once the ground war started the war was over in 100 hours.

Side note: Where I worked out before COVID, I met an Iranian Kurd. At his high school the day he graduated the Iranian army seized all senior males, held them in the cafeteria and drafted them in the army. Didn't even let them go home and say goodbyes to their families. They were sent to the front lines in human wave attacks against Iraq, Brutal horrible losses. Of the 25 seniors only 2 weren't killed.

Totalitarian regimes are total failures and treat people as slaves.
Keegan99
AG

Well that's ominous as hell.
JobSecurity
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

Rubio update.

fixed
Ulysses90
AG
RedNeckGamer88 said:

I do not agree at all with your assumptions about avoiding civilian casualties. I don't believe minimizing civilian casualties is in the top 100 priorities for the Russians. They use terror and indiscriminate violence against civilians to influence the military to surrender. The Chechen battalions are specifically employed to terrorize and civilians by murdering enough of them to get the attention and compliance of the rest.

One of the initial priorities for the Russians and especially for Putin is to avoid destroying the historic Orthodox churches that they consider to be their heritage. I don't think Putin cares at all about civilian casualties because he views them as less than Russians in a way that is not unlike the Nazi's view of Russians as "untermenschen".

Russia definitely has the firepower to level Ukrainian cities but not from the air. The heavy artillery has had a difficult time getting within range of the cities and will probably begin bombardment of Kharkiv tonight based on sitings of 203mm howitzers and 240mm mortars moving in that direction. They will put no-fire areas around buildings they want to preserve but I believe they will rubble the rest of it without a second thought if it breaks the Ukrainian army.

The idea the the Russian plan is to lay siege to Ukrainian cities is backwards. The Russians were short on supplies when they began this operation and their supply trains have not been able to keep up with the tanks and maneuver elements. To lay siege to a city and starve them out, you need to have freedom of movement and security in the countryside and that definitely is not true of the Russians. They are facing stiff resistance just getting close to the cities. They are way behind schedule and their fuel problem only gets worse from here. Siege warfare benefits neither the attacker or defender. I can't think of any time where an encirclement and siege has been employed since Khe Sanh and that was just a waste of effort on both sides.
Keegan99
AG
Shock & Awe was 2003, not the Gulf War.
FireAg
AG
Keegan99 said:

Well that's ominous as hell.

Wonder what the orders were?
Talon2DSO
AG
RedNeckGamer88 said:

This is the same Russian government that gassed 300 people in a theater. They don't care about casualties
First Page Last Page
Page 94 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.