***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,553,812 Views | 47734 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by 74OA
Ulrich
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It seems like if Russia had finished the deal immediately without too much resistance, everyone was prepared to accept it. The longer Ukraine holds out and makes it clear that they really don't want this, the more governments around the world feel compelled to exert pressure on Russia.

Russia has broken the norms expected of modern nation states.
W
AG
AustinAg2K said:

I feel like a lot of people are getting way ahead of themselves. This is only day 3. Yes, Ukraine is fighting hard and the invasion isn't going 100% as planned, but in all likelihood Russia will still take Kiev and install some sort of puppet government. It sounds like a lot people here think Ukraine has won because they are fighting back.
I agree.

most of the experts that thought Russia would take the country in 2 or 3 days...were not expecting Ukraine to fight back
GAC06
AG
JB!98 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Something going down on top right quadrant
Watching this just tells that Ivan has next to zero night fighting capabilities. They are waiting until daybreak to move in or start fighting in earnest if the actually have the forces to do so. Night fighting has been a thing since the late 80's and they aren't even close it seems. Couple that with their failures at air superiority and logistics and they are not ready for prime time.

I wonder if China is another paper tiger.

NVG's in a city that's still lit up would suck. Especially older NVG's
CondensedFogAggie
Ulrich said:

It seems like if Russia had finished the deal immediately without too much resistance, everyone was prepared to accept it. The longer Ukraine holds out and makes it clear that they really don't want this, the more governments around the world feel compelled to exert pressure on Russia.

I have a feeling if they can hold out a few more days, and the logistical situation becomes even more impossible for Russia, Zelensky will give Putin an out, asking for negotiations to begin, so he Putin can 'save face'.
erudite
Jayhawk said:

erudite said:

No source. But a friend caught this. Says 26th because they are in GMT +1.

Any other source reporting that he has removed gerasimov? That is significant if true.
No, upon further review the person who made the claim is a "Sofiya Fedyna" who is a Ukrainian politician. None the less, multiple other outlets are citing her statement as valid. I would hesitate to take the opposing party statements with much truth.
Edit: Dropped an s.
Seabreeze
I think at first people thought this would be over in a day, as they see how the Ukrainians are literally fighting for their lives, guilt and human dignity start to set in. That's my hope anyways.
JB!98
AG
GAC06 said:

JB!98 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Something going down on top right quadrant
Watching this just tells that Ivan has next to zero night fighting capabilities. They are waiting until daybreak to move in or start fighting in earnest if the actually have the forces to do so. Night fighting has been a thing since the late 80's and they aren't even close it seems. Couple that with their failures at air superiority and logistics and they are not ready for prime time.

I wonder if China is another paper tiger.

NVG's in a city that's still lit up would suck. Especially older NVG's
That's a good point.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
Who?mikejones!
Ulrich said:

I think the bigger thing would a quick, easy Russian victory would have reinforced the image of Russia being a world power. Instead, this shows that maybe they are not a big bad power one needs to really account for. It shows their army is either poorly equipped, poorly led or both. It reminds everyone their economy is smaller that texas.

Marvin
AG
FireAg said:

Talon2DSO said:

FireAg said:

Talon2DSO said:

I'm not at all willing to say this is over. Putin will double down. He can't afford not to. He needs to go big, very big or lose face for a generation. That's not his style. This is going to get far uglier.

At this point, he loses face NO MATTER WHAT…

Even if he conquers Ukraine, he loses at this point…

Thats the fear. If he's already facing a zero sum game, so might everyone else.

Which is why it might be wise for someone on the inside to take his ass out…

I'd like to think this can happen, but I'm not sure he's vulnerable enough for anyone to pull it off.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
TH36
I looked up plane tickets to get to Poland today, $1100 and I could be within a short drive of the Ukraine border. If I didn't have a wife and child, I might just do it. All I ever dreamed of when I was kid was being in the military but mine wouldn't take me cause I've got asthma. I bet they'd hand me a AK over there and welcome anyone with open arms willing to fight. I absolutely love these people. We've got to keep showing them how much the world loves them. I hope they somehow know that the whole world is stressed out over their situation hanging on with them. They will go down in history no matter what happens as putting up one of the greatest fights the world has ever seen.

Sorry if this is a derail. I can't tell y'all how much I appreciate y'all keeping this going. It's been a wealth of info for those of us who have no social media accounts of our own to dig some of this stuff up. I've been relying on YouTube live streams.
wildmen09
AG
Let's just say for a second, potential crazy talk, sanction work, Russian military is on the run. Do we lift sanctions as they retreat or do we go for the jugular and make the commies denuke or some other MAJOR concession?
JobSecurity
AG

Agsuffering@bulaw
China was probably seriously contemplating invading Taiwan. Their demographic window is closing and they perceive the current administration as weak based on Afghanistan.

The present Russian debacle probably gives them a lot of pause. As I understand it, the Taiwanese are bad mfers with far better armaments than the Ukes. Plus, it would be amphibious as opposed to open plains.
FireAg
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Ulrich said:

I think the bigger thing would a quick, easy Russian victory would have reinforced the image of Russia being a world power. Instead, this shows that maybe they are not a big bad power one needs to really account for. It shows their army is either poorly equipped, poorly led or both. It reminds everyone their economy is smaller that texas.

In conventional warfare, I agree…

But we can't discount the fact that they still have a plethora of nukes…
Schall 02
AG
wildmen09 said:

Let's just say for a second, potential crazy talk, sanction work, Russian military is on the run. Do we lift sanctions as they retreat or do we go for the jugular and make the commies denuke or some other MAJOR concession?

I'm good with this ending Vlad's regime.
BTHOtrolls
AG
A pretty interesting development, the below website is used for monitoring commercial ship movements.

A Ukrainian tug made a beeline for "snake island" where the Ukrainian soldiers were who told the "Russian Warship, go F-yourself"

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:344066/mmsi:272256000/imo:8728531/vessel:SAPFIR

The voyage route shows it left from Odessa and sailed straight to snake island and is now stopped there.
Ulrich
wildmen09 said:

Having nukes means never having to say you're sorry.
K2-HMFIC
CondensedFoggyAggie said:

I hope the promised shipment of anti tank weapons from various countries the last few days has made it into the hands of the defenders. On top of the thousands shipped last month.

They should be pretty good at using them at this point.

MOAR AMMO!!!!!

#praisethelordandpassthemunitions
FireAg
AG
Marvin said:

FireAg said:

Talon2DSO said:

FireAg said:

Talon2DSO said:

I'm not at all willing to say this is over. Putin will double down. He can't afford not to. He needs to go big, very big or lose face for a generation. That's not his style. This is going to get far uglier.

At this point, he loses face NO MATTER WHAT…

Even if he conquers Ukraine, he loses at this point…

Thats the fear. If he's already facing a zero sum game, so might everyone else.

Which is why it might be wise for someone on the inside to take his ass out…

I'd like to think this can happen, but I'm not sure he's vulnerable enough for anyone to pull it off.

It likely would take an oligarch or two, working with someone in Putin's most trusted inner circle, to pull it off…
Spaceship
AG
wildmen09 said:

I don't think you willingly give up leverage on your enemy until you have to, but that's just me.
ttu_85
mts6175 said:

Seabreeze said:

mts6175 said:

DapperDanMan said:

I don't think Ukraine has this won, but the world, with some obvious exceptions, is starting to wake up and help. Cities may fall, Kiev may fall and a puppet government may be installed, but I think the Ukrainian people will not stop fighting. Eventually the Russians will be gone. The Chechens will be gone. Ukraine will remain.
I honestly think a NATO country ends up engaging in this in the Ukraine within the next two weeks. Won't drag all of NATO into this, but Poland/Germany/etc someone ends up engaging. The repercussions of Russia succeeding on this is too big, especially now there is talk of nukes moving to Belarus That may be the straw that breaks the camel's back that gets everyone involved.

If anyone gets involved it will be Poland first. I don't have Intel or anything but my gut tells me they may engage sooner than later.
That's really what I think. Poland has a lot more to lose than anyone else if he decides to turn North. I just think moving in nukes changes the game for everyone.
Why? Russia has all manor of nukes, tactical, intermediate ranged, ICBMs, SLBMs, Cruise missiles, bomber deployed, etc. Moving the nukes and publishing it is political gaming and meant to scare people. It is of no additional military value given Russia's existing nuke and delivery systems mix.

This is to screw with your head and make you shake in fear of the Russian Bear.
Seabreeze
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

China was probably seriously contemplating invading Taiwan. Their demographic window is closing and they perceive the current administration as weak based on Afghanistan.

The present Russian debacle probably gives them a lot of pause. As I understand it, the Taiwanese are bad mfers with far better armaments than the Ukes. Plus, it would be amphibious as opposed to open plains.

You don't just take an Island
aeroag14
AG
Seabreeze said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

It would take the largest military operation in human history to invade taiwan
Not a Bot
AG
mts6175 said:

DapperDanMan said:

I don't think Ukraine has this won, but the world, with some obvious exceptions, is starting to wake up and help. Cities may fall, Kiev may fall and a puppet government may be installed, but I think the Ukrainian people will not stop fighting. Eventually the Russians will be gone. The Chechens will be gone. Ukraine will remain.
I honestly think a NATO country ends up engaging in this in the Ukraine within the next two weeks. Won't drag all of NATO into this, but Poland/Germany/etc someone ends up engaging. The repercussions of Russia succeeding on this is too big, especially now there is talk of nukes moving to Belarus That may be the straw that breaks the camel's back that gets everyone involved.

Germany has no army to speak of. Their Air Force is almost entirely out of service. Trump called them out on it. They have some high tech tanks but very few capable forces.
74OA
AG
wildmen09 said:

Lifted only when Russia pays reparations to Ukraine to rebuild their ravaged country.
ntxVol
aeroag14 said:

Seabreeze said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

And they would destroy everything of value there in the process. Would be an incredibly stupid thing for them to do.
Pluto88
AG
TH36 said:

I looked up plane tickets to get to Poland today, $1100 and I could be within a short drive of the Ukraine border. If I didn't have a wife and child, I might just do it. All I ever dreamed of when I was kid was being in the military but mine wouldn't take me cause I've got asthma. I bet they'd hand me a AK over there and welcome anyone with open arms willing to fight. I absolutely love these people. We've got to keep showing them how much the world loves them. I hope they somehow know that the whole world is stressed out over their situation hanging on with them. They will go down in history no matter what happens as putting up one of the greatest fights the world has ever seen.

Sorry if this is a derail. I can't tell y'all how much I appreciate y'all keeping this going. It's been a wealth of info for those of us who have no social media accounts of our own to dig some of this stuff up. I've been relying on YouTube live streams.

You can see twitter lists without an account.
whatthehey78
AG
Russian success, or lack thereof makes one wonder if their soldiers/pilots are truly motivated.
TH36
Hard to find what's BS and what's not though it seems just randomly stumbling around.

Y'all have definitely put in the work to find what seems to mostly be legit news.
wildmen09
AG
74OA said:

wildmen09 said:

Lifted only when Russia pays reparations to Ukraine to rebuild their ravaged country.

I think that's a given. I'm more thinking at a minimum regime change or denuclearization at the most extreme. We've got the noose around them, I see no reason to let it off IF, IF they are on the retreat. We've cracked Pandora's box and could throw it wide open soon. Why close it?
W
AG
aeroag14 said:

Seabreeze said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

and the problem for Taiwan...their opponent would be one of the largest military organizations in human history
Marvin
AG
ttu_85 said:

mts6175 said:

Seabreeze said:

mts6175 said:

DapperDanMan said:

If anyone gets involved it will be Poland first. I don't have Intel or anything but my gut tells me they may engage sooner than later.
That's really what I think. Poland has a lot more to lose than anyone else if he decides to turn North. I just think moving in nukes changes the game for everyone.
Why? Russia has all manor of nukes, tactical, intermediate ranged, ICBMs, SLBMs, Cruise missiles, bomber deployed, etc. Moving the nukes and publishing it is political gaming and meant to scare people. It is of no additional military value given Russia's existing nuke and delivery systems mix.

Makes you wonder why Belarus didn't find a way out of that situation. The move doesn't matter tactically, so why walk yourself further out on the limb in this clown show by hosting them? I get they might not have had a choice, but even China is reading the room right now. Might be time for their leadership to start thinking about the repercussions sure to come.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
B-1 83
AG
aeroag14 said:

Seabreeze said:

Agsuffering@bulaw said:

The Taiwan Straight and South China Sea would flow red. My understanding is that Taiwan can reek havoc on any landing craft, and their air defenses are super hardened.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
BusterAg
AG
Thank you for this fact based update. It's why I come to texags for news.
W
AG
ttu_85 said:

mts6175 said:

unfortunately, this was also true 4 days ago with regard to invading Ukraine.

Putin did it. When many thought he was just posturing. Would be risky to make another assumption about his posturing
First Page Last Page
Page 92 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.