***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,554,830 Views | 47734 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by 74OA
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's not clear. The road way that's being referred to as the "Highway of Death"' was in southern Ukraine iirc.
GAC06
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

GAC06 said:

Certainly a long way to Kiev from there. I'd like to know their objective there. I certainly like the idea of Ukrainians throwing them back but the unscathed city center shows there wasn't a battle there.

One of the retired flag officers CNN had mentioned two possibilities yesterday: secure and cross the bridge for a route to Kyiv; cross and secure the bridge to isolate the southwest coast line. Neither of those sound particularly good to me, but without looking at a map I want to say it also would allow for travel to Odessa by land.

Odessa by land makes the most sense to me just as a guess
jabberwalkie09
AG

But speaking of equipment that needs to be picked up…

I think there's a very real possibility that we see Russians begin to surrender due to no food and fuel. Maybe even in a larger than squad sized numbers.
GAC06
AG
That's where partisans can really make an impact. Shooting up fuel trucks doesn't require javelins
jabberwalkie09
AG
GAC06 said:

That's where partisans can really make an impact. Shooting up fuel trucks doesn't require javelins

Yep, I agree with Garryowen's post/theory. Hit the softer targets first and starve the heavy equipment of fuel.

It does look like the discontent from the populace at large is growing.
LMCane
jabberwalkie09 said:

But speaking of equipment that needs to be picked up…

I think there's a very real possibility that we see Russians begin to surrender due to no food and fuel. Maybe even in a larger than squad sized numbers.

that seems like a crazy story- the Russians just allow rando Uke drivers to approach and strike up conversations.

could you imagine an M1A2 Abrams stuck on some road outside Faluja and the crew just sits there and has a conversation with a car that approaches?

anyone speak Ukrainian and can tell if that is an accurate translation?
Not a Bot
AG
jabberwalkie09
AG
LMCane
AggieLit said:

Now that a swift Russian takeover does not appear likely, my next worry is that this becomes like Syria with Putin following Assad's example in never giving up until years later the whole country is bullet-ridden and torn apart. Not saying this will happen, just my worry.

That is a very real concern

luckily for the Ukes they are in a better position than the Syrian Sunnis.

they have a unified national state country defending itself from an outsider

rather than an internal unarmed populace trying to take down their own dictator

Syria is a group of tribes and clans and ethnic groups all hating each other. Even the Kurds dislike other Kurds not in their own tribe or clan.

the Ukes are united, have western support, and have sovereignty already over their territory.

Zelensky in a MUCH stronger position than the syrian rebels were.
LMCane
jabberwalkie09 said:

been hearing a LOT of talk on Fox News that the Biden Administration put pressure on the Israelis and Cyprus to stop their plans to create a Light Natural Gas pipeline from the Eastern Med into Europe

I remember hearing chatter about this a year ago but not sure if this has ever been confirmed.

now would be a great time to restart that up again- run from Haifa to Cyprus to Greek islands and up through the Balkans

that takes out all the influence Putin has over Europe and badly weakens the Russian economy
jabberwalkie09
AG

Things not going well for the Russians down in the Kherson region by the looks of it.
LMCane
SidsBurnerAccount said:

New pics of the Chechens the Russians are bringing in.

definitely hope the Ukes wipe out those Chechen units.
Eliminatus
AG
Absolutely incredible that some Russian armored units are already stranded due to lack of fuel about 72 hours into this war.

Russia is NOT doing well. This invasion was a mistake on so many levels.

The hell were they thinking? What should have been a massive incursion and roll over over a smaller nation is looking like a huge debacle more and more. Ukraine is fighting hard, Russian casualties are mounting, I am not sure they really ever came close to taking Kiev last night, public pressure is mounting against them and they are the world's bad guys with sanctions building and aid and supplies being pledged to strengthen the Ukes.

There is no doubt in my mind at this point that Putin bit off more than he could chew. What is he going to do now?
CuriousAg
Just woke up to get caught up on this. Been hawking this thread over the last few days and loving the info.

Keep givin them HELL, Ukes!
LMCane
aTmAg said:

SidsBurnerAccount said:

New pics of the Chechens the Russians are bringing in.

WTF? What do Chechens have to do with this fight and why are they fighting FOR the Russians? They and the Russians hate each other.
Khadyrov is a strong ally of Putin ever since 2003
jabberwalkie09
AG

And an insertion all the way over in the western most portion of the country? Why?
Eliminatus
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

And an insertion all the way over in the western most portion of the country? Why?
Dude, I have no idea. Credit due to the Ukes for fighting and disrupting the Russians at every turn, but this whole damn invasion just seems like such a half-assed, disjointed mess. The tactical level stuff everyone is fighting hard of course and giving their all, but the overall strategy of this entire war is impossible for me to figure out. Not the goals per se, but the method Russia is going about trying to achieve them.

The only thing I can think of to explain any of this, is just overwhelming arrogance leading to mistakes that are mounting together. It truly is possible I guess that Putin thought the Ukes would just cave immediately?

Anyone have intel on follow on forces? Second wave trickling in? Did Belarus ever finally get into this? Chechans? (**** those guys in particular for personal reasons.)
sts7049
AG
nortex97
AG

Ouch.
MarkTwain
Vitali Klitschko Strapped up and defending his homeland on an Ukrainian response team in the hills. If it comes down to hand to hand I feel sorry for the poor SOB that draws the short straw on this guy

moldaggie
Eliminatus said:

jabberwalkie09 said:

Dude, I have no idea. Credit due to the Ukes for fighting and disrupting the Russians at every turn, but this whole damn invasion just seems like such a half-assed, disjointed mess. The tactical level stuff everyone is fighting hard of course and giving their all, but the overall strategy of this entire war is impossible for me to figure out. Not the goals per se, but the method Russia is going about trying to achieve them.

The only thing I can think of to explain any of this, is just overwhelming arrogance leading to mistakes that are mounting together. It truly is possible I guess that Putin thought the Ukes would just cave immediately?

Anyone have intel on follow on forces? Second wave trickling in? Did Belarus ever finally get into this? Chechans? (**** those guys in particular for personal reasons.)

We have trained them for years. If you have that, and the courage they have, look out!!
moldaggie
And I have been told, their urban training is their strength. If Putz doesn't decimate the cities.
Eliminatus
AG
moldaggie said:

And I have been told, their urban training is their strength. If Putz doesn't decimate the cities.
Ironic because these just popped up

Putin literally bringing out the big guns it would seem.
moldaggie
Not good.....
SPSAg05
AG
Who?mikejones!
Was just coming to post this as well. It's getting to desperate stage for putin.

He wont pull out. He will start leveling cities before he retreats.

This won't end until his troops quit, his people rise up or his govt has a coup.
No Spin Ag
jabberwalkie09 said:

Things not going well for the Russians down in the Kherson region by the looks of it.

Good.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
I Sold DeSantis Lifts
Again, need to qualify because I'm not sure how much info we are getting is propaganda and it's still very early in this thing, but it's appearing to me that the Russian might we all feared was bull crap. Same as with the post 1980s Soviet military that our media told us was so great in 1989, but when they collapsed we saw that it was really a depleted army with rusted tanks.

I was never in the military, but I have very little faith in Russian military technology. Tell me, would you rather be a pilot in a plane designed by Lockheed Martin or a retread of a soviet state corporation? Think about it, who would you trust with an important package, UPS or USPS?

**** these guys.
74OA
AG
SPSAg05 said:

Sanctions enforcement beginning.
sts7049
AG
sts7049
AG
Who?mikejones!
Makes sense
Engine10
AG
I don't know much on comparable tech levels, but I don't think any level of tech would have saved them from the strategic **** ups they've had unless the goals of this invasion are in 8-D chess land. Now the only two options forward are pure brutality and/or overwhelming numbers - assuming Uke morale/supply can hold up.

Didn't clear air defenses, don't hold the skies from any reports out there (where are their fighters?), Uke planes still out there. Gross miscalc on resistance levels (javelins/NLAW in volume equalizing their armor) and supply required to sustain a long (distance) push inward. Weird commitment to airdrops.

Occam starts to rear it's influence here when thinking about if Putin is holding back the good equipment, or just trying to trash the old **** and eat up Javelin supply, fire up the war machine back home etc.
74OA
AG
sts7049 said:

Who knows how accurate this is, but if a large number of those 536 destroyed armored vehicles are BMPs-they carry 10 soldiers each-you can see how the casualty count might be legitimately that high.
htownag10
AG

[We have removed almost three pages of posters arguing about what assets the United States has or does not have in Ukraine. It was all speculation and had turned into an argument that was not adding anything of substance to the thread. -Staff]

[This warning was put on this post because it is currently the last post on the thread. -Staff]
First Page Last Page
Page 73 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.