***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,555,199 Views | 47734 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by 74OA
Rossticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TRM
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

That last line is a quote directly from Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising. It is really amazing to me for how old that book is and that it was written about the Soviets, that it really has been proved pretty prescient in predicting how the Russians would attack, and for what reasons they would fail to advance at the speed they had hoped.
Haven't Russian supported separatists been fighting in the Donbas for the last 8 years? Why didn't they take note of the lack of progress there?
Probably thought their armor and aircraft could overrun them, but many in the Ukrainian probably have fought in Donbas.
Who?mikejones!
I think the Russians better make a move tonight. Every hour they don't go is another hour Ukraine gets to prepare for the push.

Another day might prove fatal to Russian plans
txags92
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

That last line is a quote directly from Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising. It is really amazing to me for how old that book is and that it was written about the Soviets, that it really has been proved pretty prescient in predicting how the Russians would attack, and for what reasons they would fail to advance at the speed they had hoped.
Haven't Russian supported separatists been fighting in the Donbas for the last 8 years? Why didn't they take note of the lack of progress there?
Small groups of separatists fighting in a limited range are completely different than trying to move large tank and motor rifle formations over large distances to capture and hold enemy territory. The faster and farther you drive your tanks and APCs, the more fuel you have to be able to bring along with you, and more maintenance you are going to have to do to maintain the operational capabilities of the armored units. Russian vehicles are not know for their long term reliability, so trying to move too fast will cause them to pay a price in broken down vehicles. Also, attacking well prepared defensive positions with forewarning that you are coming takes a much larger toll and slows a large unit down more than small groups attacking relatively soft targets with the element of surprise.
Who?mikejones!
ABATTBQ11
AG
Ag_07 said:

So I'm admittedly not well versed in the realm of geopolitics and war tactics but I've been following along because I find it all incredibly interesting.

Why is it really out of the question that Putin would use nukes? He's come this far and I don't see him backing down.

If the Ukraines fight back enough to back him into a corner I don't see it out of the realm of possibility. WTF does he care if he's already being cut off and isolated?

I could see him doing what he needs to do to at least come away with what he wants.

And thanks for those sharing all their knowledge on the subjects at hand. While incredibly sad and heartbreaking for the Ukraines the tactics side to all this is interesting.

Because all of Russia would be cut off from everything and he'd have his own people to deal with. At that point, cops, soldiers, civilians, etc would be pretty pissed about being brought back to poverty in the new Soviet Union.

China would likely cut them off as well since any fallout would come their way too. China would also have to answer to everyone else for being soft on or enabling Russia, who just broke a cardinal rule of warfare to not use WMD's. In essence, it would make them look like the bad guys as much as they try to save gave and obfuscate

It would also invite an immediate nuclear response from another other nation or invite strategic nuclear responses from other nations in the even of any further aggression, no matter how small. If they do it once, they'll do it again, so you might as well beat them to it.

It's like taking hostages. People on the outside are willing to talk and deal so long as they believe they can peacefully end the situation, but if you kill someone you are guaranteed to die and quickly.
Rossticus
ttu_85
BQ78 said:

Plus they are handy for digging out underground hardened targets.
A Kew is better at that job and best of all no radiation, emp, or associated issues. Nothing but a high speed tungsten projectile that can move at 17.8Kmph. That is if Biden hasn't trashed them.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TRM said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Probably thought their armor and aircraft could overrun them, but many in the Ukrainian probably have fought in Donbas.

This. The Ukrainian military of today is much different than it was 8 years ago, same with the political climate in country. Iirc much of their army has done rotations in the eastern part of the country.
Who?mikejones!
https://instagr.am/p/Caal0cTpRML
Rossticus
Agthatbuilds said:

I think the Russians better make a move tonight. Every hour they don't go is another hour Ukraine gets to prepare for the push.

Another day might prove fatal to Russian plans

Russia is going to pound Kyiv into oblivion with artillery and bombing if they keep suffering setbacks. So many thousands of everyday peoples' lived snuffed out in one night.
Who?mikejones!
Probably. It will be awful.
TommyBrady
AG
Thats why diplomacy needs to happen now
Who?mikejones!
Nm
Rossticus
Straight up evil.

Rossticus
TommyBrady said:

Giving up your freedom isn't diplomacy.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Rossticus
Literally blew that guy's ass up.

I Sold DeSantis Lifts
I saw a Trafficked episode in Ukraine. There are quite a few mercenaries with battle experience. Are they involved in the resistance?
TommyBrady
AG
Letting thousands of your citizens die and it doesn't change the outcome isn't a great outcome either
jabberwalkie09
AG

TH36
**** diplomacy. I wanna see Ukraine drain that man and his bull**** country of everything they have! Afghanistan 2.0.
ABATTBQ11
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

This is why an armed populace is important. You can pick them off as they dismount for fuel.
YouBet
AG
TommyBrady said:

I was with you on the front end of this about all of the political realities and reasons why we shouldn't get directly involved and whatnot. I'm way on record with all of that.

However, that's a sunk cost for actual Ukrainians. Most of them don't want to be a part of Russia. They are fighting for their country. **** diplomacy if you live there. You fight to win and kill as many Russians as you can. I sure as **** hope that we wouldn't just roll over for diplomacy if the USA was invaded and attacked by our enemies.
jabberwalkie09
AG
TommyBrady said:

Letting thousands of your citizens die and it doesn't change the outcome isn't a great outcome either

I thought I had said this the other day: giving in and capitulating doesn't guarantee that just as many people won't die. Putin's FSB will work to that end.
Rossticus
TommyBrady said:

Name a time that freedom has been obtained any other way? Some peoples would rather die free than live oppressed. There's no good way out of this but I respect their decision and resolve.
Rossticus
Rossticus
Ag87H2O
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

https://instagr.am/p/Caal0cTpRML
I like Grandma Nadya. Make her an honorary Texan.
YouBet
AG
Rossticus said:

Waste of money. As usual. Maybe 5% of that will get to where it's supposed to.
oneeyedag
On top of buying russian oil, were gonna give 6 billion to urkrain
Who?mikejones!
jabberwalkie09
AG

Build It
AG
Hoping they ask some of those civilians who were handed weapons this week.
Seabreeze
jabberwalkie09 said:

Kill'em
First Page Last Page
Page 57 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.