***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,547,982 Views | 47728 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by 74OA
ja86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GAC06 said:

It's also natural for an offensive to slow and pause. People get tired. Vehicles need fuel and ammo and supplies need to be brought forward. Communication and actual unit locations can be points of friction. Add in actual losses and enemy action…

A long planned offensive should have had the logistics in place to go non stop for several days. The pause is because they expected everyone to lay down arms and welcome them as liberators. Getting kick back wasnt in the plan.
W
AG
Jay Reimenschneider said:

Love this thread but how much of this could be Ukrainian propaganda? I want the guys to successful defend their nation but I think Russia could crush them easily
yes, the Russians are having plenty of victories too across the country, but those are not being put on social media
aggiehawg
AG
hunter2012 said:

Love Gun said:

aggiehawg said:

Rossticus said:

aezmvp said:

Waffledynamics said:

Are we between offensive pushes right now.
Night time. Russian army may be significantly less capable of night fighting than we thought.

Proving to be significant advantage for Ukraine. We equipped them well.
Night vision goggles, that tech is not widely available?

Capabilities differ between those with different technologies of night vision. Imagine looking at your enemy through green HD TV, or watching TV an inch away from a TV made in the early 80's

If Desert Shield taught us anything it's that militaries that are combat effective at night are effective round the clock vs half the day and hunker at night and you'll be stationary and unknowing targets. It's a major tactical advantage for whomever is more effective at night.
LOL. I actually remember a comedy bit about that asking Rumsfeld if it was unfair that we had night vision goggles and the enemy did not.
Love Gun
GAC06 said:

It's also natural for an offensive to slow and pause. People get tired. Vehicles need fuel and ammo and supplies need to be brought forward. Communication and actual unit locations can be points of friction. Add in actual losses and enemy action…

I'd also be looking at what Putin's got moving inside Russia that is moving towards Ukraine. That would indicate whether he overestimated his front line units… or underestimated the Ukrainians
**** Joe Biden
ttu_85
W said:

Demosthenes81 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Are they gonna carpet bomb Kiev or do precision strikes?

When have the Russians ever chosen precision over terror?
excellent point.

Putin may just go total warfare (a la the Eastern Front) to end the battle as soon as possible
On the Eastern Front the USSR, as was almost every individual Russian, fighting for its/their life. This is not remotely the case. Here, Russia is the aggressor and its political leadership doesn't have the full support of the people. Totally different political and military dynamics
Rapier108

So far looks quiet.
Robert C. Christian
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

I know this was posted earlier, but the translation I hadn't seen.
Not gonna lie, giving the soldier sunflower seeds and telling him its for when he dies on Ukrainian soil is pretty bad ass.
TriAg2010
AG
cone said:

I would assume the vast majority

single day Ukrainian ace? Outrageous claim.

The only way I'd put credence on this is several helo kills.
MaroonStain
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Are we between offensive pushes right now?

It's 4AM and IMO Russia has performed poorly on Day 1. Day 2 will be an attempt at a better planned offensive with changes in approach. Lots of people on both sides will go...what 48 hours with no sleep...?
Jayhawk
Eliminatus said:

aezmvp said:

Waffledynamics said:

Night time. Russian army may be significantly less capable of night fighting than we thought.
I think the initial numbers of top tier Russian units in their arsenal were overestimated or they are not committing them in the numbers I thought they would.

Have seen from US Intel sources that Moscow is definitely holding back in this invasion though. Wonder how long it takes before they say **** it and pull out all the toys and numbers we suspect they have.
I agree with this assessment.

I don't know how else to interpret the Russian attempt to take Hostomel Airport other than as a complete fiasco for the Russians.

Ostensibnly at least a battalion worth of elite VdV are hung out in an exposed position and before their airland reinforcements arrive, they are hit with a Ukrainian counterattack that the Russians apparently did not anticipate as a serious possibility. The result is at the end of the first day the Russians have failed to take one of their most important Day 1 objectives , and suffer significant casualties to one of their best formations. The Ukes are putting more of a hurt on the Russians then it seems was anticipated.
amercer
AG
W said:

Jay Reimenschneider said:

Love this thread but how much of this could be Ukrainian propaganda? I want the guys to successful defend their nation but I think Russia could crush them easily
yes, the Russians are having plenty of victories too across the country, but those are not being put on social media

Unfortunately, if the Russian forces from the south keep making progress, they will cut off most of the Ukrainian army in the east and then be able to encircle Kyiv as planned. It might be more bloody than they thought, but I'm not sure that anything has really changed about their plan.
74OA
AG
Not much Russian navy action, so far.
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
Can you explain? You've been on top of things and I'd like to know more. I'm not connected.
W
AG
ttu_85 said:

W said:

Demosthenes81 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

excellent point.

Putin may just go total warfare (a la the Eastern Front) to end the battle as soon as possible
On the Eastern Front the USSR, as was almost every individual Russia, was fighting for its/their life. This is not remotely the case. Here, Russia is the aggressor and its political leadership doesn't have the full support of the people. Totally different political and military dynamics
what if Putin doesn't care? All of those things were true before the invasion started.

folks keep thinking Putin is going to act in a predictable and/or rational manner
Who?mikejones!
Jayhawk said:

Eliminatus said:

aezmvp said:

Waffledynamics said:

I think the initial numbers of top tier Russian units in their arsenal were overestimated or they are not committing them in the numbers I thought they would.

Have seen from US Intel sources that Moscow is definitely holding back in this invasion though. Wonder how long it takes before they say **** it and pull out all the toys and numbers we suspect they have.
I agree with this assessment.

I don't know how else to interpret the Russian attempt to take Hostomel Airport other than as a complete fiasco for the Russians.

Ostensibnly at least a battalion worth of elite VdV are hung out in an exposed position and before their airland reinforcements arrive, they are hit with a Ukrainian counterattack that the Russians apparently did not anticipate as a serious possibility. The result is at the end of the first day the Russians have failed to take one of their most important Day 1 objectives , and suffer significant casualties to one of their best formations. The Ukes are putting more of a hurt on the Russians then it seems was anticipated.

Their airborne failure really must piss putin right off.
Rossticus
MaroonStain said:

Waffledynamics said:

Are we between offensive pushes right now?

It's 4AM and IMO Russia has performed poorly on Day 1. Day 2 will be an attempt at a better planned offensive with changes in approach. Lots of people on both sides will go...what 48 hours with no sleep...?

The Ukrainians perform better under those circumstances. That's where will, hope, and fighting for dearly held values comes into play. Russian troops don't want to die over Ukraine.
Who?mikejones!
Rossticus
Xi just announced support for Russia by sending grain to assist in offsetting any issues stemming from the conflict.
Who?mikejones!
Rossticus said:

Xi just announced support for Russia by sending grain to assist in offsetting any issues stemming from the conflict.
richardag
Rossticus said:

The President Biden administration and Democratic Party leadership will abuse this guaranteed. Conservatives to be targeted.
Rossticus
Ukraine Gas Expert said:

Can you explain? You've been on top of things and I'd like to know more. I'm not connected.

Explain which post? I've posted a lot of stuff. Probably way more than is healthy, lol.
jabberwalkie09
AG

VitruvianAg
AG
Rossticus said:

White rice or fried?
Who?mikejones!
Going to get more weapons?
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
US backing off supporting Ukraine
deddog
AG
GAC06 said:

aggiehawg said:

Rossticus said:

aezmvp said:

Waffledynamics said:

Proving to be significant advantage for Ukraine. We equipped them well.
Night vision goggles, that tech is not widely available?

Russia isn't as good at night as we are. It's a matter of cost and training and doctrine
It's not even close. The US military machine absolutely OWNS the night.
The fact that the Russians are doing anything at night at all, is impressive by non-NATO standards.
Keegan99
AG
GAC06 said:

The Wehrmacht's secret weapon during the blitzkrieg was meth.
2wealfth Man
AG
W said:

ttu_85 said:

W said:

Demosthenes81 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

excellent point.

On the Eastern Front the USSR, as was almost every individual Russia, was fighting for its/their life. This is not remotely the case. Here, Russia is the aggressor and its political leadership doesn't have the full support of the people. Totally different political and military dynamics
what if Putin doesn't care? All of those things were true before the invasion started.

folks keep thinking Putin is going to act in a predictable and/or rational manner
I get the impression he is sitting in an information bubble in the Kremlin with a bunch of yes men. No telling what kind of information he has been getting and how that informs his view of the situation.
AgsMyDude
AG
Rossticus said:

Grain?
deddog
AG
74OA said:

Not much Russian navy action, so far.
They might have launched some of the cruise missiles? They did in Syria during their trial run.
I Sold DeSantis Lifts
What's the real quality of the Russia military tech? Based on what I've seen with anything Russian, it's crap. Everything in the Soviet Union was crap. Their fighters were copies of ours... and even their piece of **** space shuttle was a knock off. I see the really fancy looking equipment, but what's the last piece of technology you remember coming out of that frigid ****hole? Tetris? Nesting dolls?

I just picture a lot of their **** looking cool but not really working.

Ignorant post is ignorant
Rossticus
Ukraine Gas Expert said:

US backing off supporting Ukraine

Heard a report of Biden administration concerns over "legality" of providing support to an insurgency and whether that constitutes "escalation". NO *******ED BALLS!!!
MarkTwain
richardag said:

Rossticus said:

The President Biden administration and Democratic Party leadership will abuse this guaranteed. Conservatives to be targeted.
Oh Joy he same idiot that's supposed to be controlling the southern border too. Alejandro Mayorkas is tits on a boar hog

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
Rossticus
AgsMyDude said:

Rossticus said:

Grain?

Rooskies gotta eat.
JobSecurity
AG
Rossticus said:

Ukraine Gas Expert said:

Explain which post? I've posted a lot of stuff. Probably way more than is healthy, lol.
If you click "in reply to" by the timestamp it takes you to the post. I just learned this recently too
First Page Last Page
Page 29 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.