***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,102,473 Views | 46360 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by JFABNRGR
P.U.T.U
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The grey area may end up being true how dialed in on the trenches they were. And stupid Russians for bunching up like that
Gilligan
AG
JFABNRGR said:

in support of my earlier post. First vid is effectiveness of orcs on the ground assaulting (note this was without drone drops).

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/1cthh6k/russians_attempt_to_assault_a_ukrainian_position/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web3x&utm_name=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

This is what happens when you take over an entrenched position and your mortars are all pre-dialed in and or it was pre-rigged with heavy explosives. Again orc adherence to consolation of troops is bewildering.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/1ctgbm8/russians_temporarily_entered_ukrainian_positions/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web3x&utm_name=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

On another likely sad note the 78 year old Vietnam Vet UV (whom I think was Activity) has not been heard from in over a month. Given his sole mission doing LRRPs, any news may be a long time coming. In any case Godspeed warrior.
Being that it's been five almost six weeks since Ukraine Volunteer checked in he's either seriously wounded, dead or captured(dead). I'd think he's too old for that long of a LRRP. Until Valhalla!
Tanker123
What is interesting is Germany created Blitzkrieg to solve the military problem of trench warfare with combined arms warfare. However, the Russians are too inept so they resort to WWI tactics.
74OA
AG
More imagery of damage from the recent ATACMS strike on a key Russian airbase.

BELBEK
LMCane
"State Department Clears Emergency Sale of HIMARS Launchers to Ukraine"

(Source: ExecutiveGov, 13 May 2024) [Excerpts]

The State Department has approved the immediate sale of high mobility artillery rocket systems and logistics and program support worth $30 million to the government of Ukraine. The foreign military sale agreement, funded by the German government on behalf of Ukraine, waived the congressional review requirements under the Arms Export Control Act to deliver three HIMARS rocket launchers from the U.S. Army inventory to Ukraine, the Defense Security Cooperation Agency said Friday. . . .

Ukraine will not require the deployment of U.S. government or contractor representatives upon implementation of the FMS transaction.
Agthatbuilds
How many such systems have been lost so far? One or two or more?
P.U.T.U
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

How many such systems have been lost so far? One or two or more?
Quite a bit more, the other day they lost 2 alone.
Tanker123
I know the Russians are tactically bad. However, I would like to know the level of Ukraine's tactical acumen from the perspective of large and small units. For example, a platoon of tanks in the defense will:

- Find covered and concealed positions if available. The US Army will dig big fighting positions to put the tanks in if it is appropriate.
- Alternate firing positions are established in case the tanks have to fire into a different direction.
- The engagement area will be established and defined.
- The tanks will be spread out and the fire patterns are established for efficiency and prevent double tapping.
- Target Reference Points (TRP) and ranges will be established to facilitate firing plans.
- The SITREP to the platoon can be 2 T-72s at TRP1, 2000 meters. The description is fast and precise.
- Dead spaces, obstacles, and enemy avenue of approaches will be identified.
- Priority targets will be established.
Waffledynamics
AG
Tanker123 said:

I know the Russians are tactically bad. However, I would like to know the level of Ukraine's tactical acumen from the perspective of large and small units.
Not all that great. They're often described as disorganized, and they have trouble scaling up.
P.U.T.U
AG
Ukraine has limited numbers of tanks and they removed them from the front lines since 5 of the 31 M1s got knocked out in a few days. The drone threat is too great to lose something as valuable as a tank
Tanker123
Waffledynamics said:

Tanker123 said:

I know the Russians are tactically bad. However, I would like to know the level of Ukraine's tactical acumen from the perspective of large and small units.
Not all that great. They're often described as disorganized, and they have trouble scaling up.
Thanks. I was hoping that they would be tactically adroit at this point in the war.
Ulysses90
AG
Tanker123 said:

Teslag said:

Bakhmut was a city of 70,000. Kharkiv has 1.5 million. I don't think even Russia can level that type of city with artillery. Not mention that amount of civilian displacement. You do something like that it will be an untenable situation during an occupation.
Concur. I read the size of the city is over 100 square miles. The Germans had around 1 million soldiers at Stalingrad and still could not completely surround it. Another lesson learned from that battle is the Germans bombed the hell out of that city, but it created structures that became good fighting positions for the Russians. Who is ordering the attack on Kharkiv, the generals or Putin?

In the video posted yesterday it stated that Russia had committed ~32,000 troops. Even with excellent equipment and tactics, of which the Russians have neither, that is insufficient to seize even a fraction of Kharkiv. Nevertheless, 32,000 is enough to make normal life unlivable for the residents for an extended period of time while both sides bleed a lot.

An envelopment from two directions that isolated Kharkiv and cut the lines of supply would be more serious but this is mostly a single axis on a relatively broad front.

If the Russians are encountering Ukrainian fortifications at ~12 miles from the outskirts of the city, they will need lots of 50 caliber length guns or rockets to range the majority of the city. The problem with employing an artillery siege against Kharkiv is that no battery can remain in a firing position for even an hour after the first round is fired without being destroyed.

Russia knows it can't seize Kharkiv so it seems that they are merely trying to bleed Ukraine and weary them to the point of getting a negotiation for terms to cede land in exchange for a ceasefire. Russia is confident that they can bleed for longer than Ukraine can bleed. Putin may be correct, unless the west give Ukraine the right type and quantity of weapons to make Russia bleed a lot faster.
Teslag
AG
Our decision to give Ukraine longer range weapons with the authority to strike targets inside Russia may be an attempt to do just that type of bleeding.
AtticusMatlock
India has carried on with their long-held policy of strategic independence. They will always do what they believe is best for India. They view China as their primary threat and are not going to kneecap their economy to stick it to Russia.
AgLA06
AG
AtticusMatlock said:

India has carried on with their long-held policy of strategic independence. They will always do what they believe is best for India. They view China as their primary threat and are not going to kneecap their economy to stick it to Russia.
Israel has done the same. And based on the US and other friendly western countries postering and BS the last couple of months, I don't blame them.

They do what is best for Israel, because they never know when Israel is the only one they can count on.
txags92
AG
AtticusMatlock said:

And I think the US should do what is best for the US, which means not rewarding countries that join BRICs trying to undermine the dollar based economy. If they view China as their primary threat, why join with them and Russia against the US economically? They have important economic ties with us too and we should remind them to consider those when making their foreign policy decisions.
Tanker123
The war has not gone well for the Russians and many generals have been sacked. Putin has to be frustrated; thus, I will assume that he is calling some of the shots in the war. He won't want to hear the excuses for poor performances which there are many. He will order objectives to be achieved and let the generals figure out how to accomplish them. Therefore, I expect to see irrationality in some of the decision making. Hitler's orders hampered the German military in WWII in some of the campaigns.
AtticusMatlock
You have some wrong assumptions about BRICs and the Indian foreign policy is more complicated than that, but that's not for this thread.

AgLA06
AG
AtticusMatlock said:

You have some wrong assumptions about BRICs and the Indian foreign policy is more complicated than that, but that's not for this thread.

To be fair, BRICs was formed to trade around sanctions. Which is pretty relevant considering that's mostly benefited Russia.
txags92
AG
AgLA06 said:

AtticusMatlock said:

To be fair, BRICs was formed to trade around sanctions. Which is pretty relevant considering that's mostly benefited Russia.
He is wrong about BRICS, but right that it is off topic to this thread. BRICS was formed to push back against western and European economic power. But we can talk about it elsewhere.
nortex97
AG

Pushing in odd places along a very long front.

A couple flankers and a mig31 hit on the ground in crimea.
MaroonStain
AG
Putin and his orcs may have pushed "All In" on this Kharkiv offensive. Then again, it may be a HUGE feint but I do not think so
GAC06
AG
2 MiG-31's, one Su-27, a MiG-29, a fuel farm, and some other stuff including S-300/400's based on previous pictures

The lack of composites in the MiG-31's makes them pretty easy to identify even after burning
Tanker123
MaroonStain said:

Putin and his orcs may have pushed "All In" on this Kharkiv offensive. Then again, it may be a HUGE feint but I do not think so
Concur, I am with you. The Russians have invested and expended much energy and resources to this attack. Therefore, I believe they will follow through and try to attack Kharkiv. And should this be the case, I expect massive Russian casualties.
AtticusMatlock
AtticusMatlock
AtticusMatlock
AtticusMatlock
AgLA06
AG

GAC06
AG
It's somewhat ironic that this conflict kicked off in 2014 when Russia seized Crimea to ensure they held on to Sevastopol for their Black Sea Fleet. Since the 2022 invasion the BSF has been relegated to hiding in various ports and is still getting systematically destroyed by drones and missiles.
AtticusMatlock
One of the turtle tanks taken out:
Tanker123
Look at that beautiful open terrain. The more the terrain is open, the greater the range of the weapons.
nortex97
AG
Making clear the cause, and operational goal of the northern front;

He also questioned whether, in any future negotiations, the Kiev regime will be considered legitimate now with Zelensky extending his time 'in office' past his term and no elections etc.
JFABNRGR
AG
nortex97 said:

Making clear the cause, and operational goal of the northern front;

He also questioned whether, in any future negotiations, the Kiev regime will be considered legitimate now with Zelensky extending his time 'in office' past his term and no elections etc.

Now thats quite ironic on both statements.
Teslag
AG
Russia saying they have no plans to capture Kharkiv is like me saying I have no plans to date Jennifer Aniston.
First Page Last Page
Page 1307 of 1325

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.