***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,122,266 Views | 46411 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by ABATTBQ11
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

74OA
AG
Armored blooming onion?
nortex97
AG

Bravado.

Destabilizing effort toward Europe in the war, using as usual Syrian/moslem 'migrants' and refugees:

Waffledynamics
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
Bradley doing some work.

docb
AG
Another thought on those 3 SU34s that were just shot down. What's the anti-air range for an F16? They've been training for a while now. Maybe they've got a few in theater not announced? I mean why in the world would they announce when they're operational.
Ag with kids
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Is that ****ing thing STEAM powered?
sclaff
AG
docb said:

Another thought on those 3 SU34s that were just shot down. What's the anti-air range for an F16? They've been training for a while now. Maybe they've got a few in theater not announced? I mean why in the world would they announce when they're operational.

Here is how the fighters were ambushed by a Patriot

Ulysses90
AG
docb said:

IANAFP but it would seem to me that air to air combat isn't the first or primary mission for which F-16s would be used, especially against an Su-34 that probably has parity of weapons and sensors with the F-16s that have been sent to Ukraine. I would think (purely amateur opinion) that the F-16s would be used to destroy Russian air defenses and logistics infrastructure. The PAC-III provides the potential for surprise of Russian fighters better than F-16s which aren't stealthy and don't have the benefit of support from airborne jammers in Ukraine (at least not the the US will admit).
Ulysses90
AG
Ag with kids said:

Waffledynamics said:

Is that ****ing thing STEAM powered?

It almost looks like the smoke generator from an M60 tank or AAV. The generated billowing clouds of white smoke by spraying diesel/JP8 on the hot exhaust manifold. That doesn't really work when your vehicle is hauling ass and leaving the smoke trail behind.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -James Madison
docb
AG
https://www.technology.org/2023/12/23/ukraine-took-down-3-su-34s-and-interesting-conspiracy-theories-emerged/
More on the SU34s. Also apparently at least one prominent Russian channel thinks that a dozen F16s are already in Ukraine. Probably the patriot is the most plausible. But it's good for Ukraine if the Russians think it even could be F16s that did it.
74OA
AG
Ukraine fields new jet-powered drone with much higher speed and the range to hit Moscow.

UJ-25
AgLA06
AG
74OA said:

Ukraine fields new jet-powered drone with much higher speed and the range to hit Moscow.

UJ-25

I'd love to see 100 of these launched in a swarm at Sevastopol.
Agthatbuilds
We've gone back to the v2
lb3
AG
I'm having a hard time seeing the design compromize leading to forward swept wings. The forward sweep is unstable in yaw requiring larger vertical stabilizers or 'ruddervators' in a v tail. It doesn't come with a huge drag or cross-section penalty but seems really unnecessary.
Ag with kids
AG
lb3 said:

I'm having a hard time seeing the design compromize leading to forward swept wings. The forward sweep is unstable in yaw requiring larger vertical stabilizers or 'ruddervators' in a v tail. It doesn't come with a huge drag or cross-section penalty but seems really unnecessary.

The forward swept wings give quicker maneuverability response.
Jetpilot86
AG
Ag with kids said:

lb3 said:

And only passenger aircraft care about stability. Anything shot at, the easier to maneuver, the better.
74OA
AG
Jetpilot86 said:

Ag with kids said:

lb3 said:

And only passenger aircraft care about stability. Anything shot at, the easier to maneuver, the better.
That's why highly maneuverable fighters are designed to be unstable, modern ones requiring a central processor making many minute adjustments each second to keep them controllable.
lb3
AG
It's not a fighter. It's basically a cruise missile. Nothing in its mission profile requires it to pull 20 Gs nor does it have an engine large enough to maintain a reasonable energy state while maneuvering aggressively. A budget vehicle like this won't have the sensor suite to identify and autonomously avoid SAMs even if doing so wouldn't result in a massive loss of energy.

It's a design decision with only negative impacts on its mission as far as I can tell.

I'll quit derailing and take this to the aeronautics board.
docb
AG
Looks like Ukraine just got another one. SU30 this time.
74OA
AG
lb3 said:

It's not a fighter. It's basically a cruise missile. Nothing in its mission profile requires it to pull 20 Gs nor does it have an engine large enough to maintain a reasonable energy state while maneuvering aggressively. A budget vehicle like this won't have the sensor suite to identify and autonomously avoid SAMs even if doing so wouldn't result in a massive loss of energy.

It's a design decision with only negative impacts on its mission as far as I can tell.

I'll quit derailing and take this to the aeronautics board.
Didn't say it was. Was just commenting on instability as a desirable aeronautical design feature. <shrug>
ABATTBQ11
AG
There are a lot of decisions that could affect it. The spar would be at the back, giving more usable space up front. Better transonic handling. Smaller overall wing. Depends on a lot of the overall design choices.

Use of ruddervators isn't necessarily a negative. Probably makes it harder for Russian air defenses to see.
docb
AG
Now they're reporting another SU-34 near Mariupol. Good work by the Ukranians. I've got to believe they've got something new. Bad week for Russian aviation!
PJYoung
AG
docb said:

Now they're reporting another SU-34 near Mariupol. Good work by the Ukranians. I've got to believe they've got something new. Bad week for Russian aviation!

Nooo doubt.
JFABNRGR
AG
Merry Christmas to all those fighting and supporting the good fight against evil wherever you may be.
tremble
AG
5 aircraft in a week is wild
74OA
AG
Christmas joy is hard to find in Ukraine this season.

UPDATES
CS78
Waffledynamics said:

It looks like the shot came from the drone?
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Reportedly a ship with ammunition was hit in Feodosiya
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/26-december-reportedly-a-ship-with-ammunition-was-hit-in

This is in the Southeastern part of Occupied Crimea.
74OA
AG

More: FIREBALL
ABATTBQ11
AG
Merry Christmas, mother****ers!
chiphijason
AG
The US stealth cruise missle from the 90s also had forward swept wings. Must be some LO benefit.
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

The latest reports indicate that the Russian Ministry of Defense has indeed confirmed that the landing ship Novocherkassk was at least damaged in an attack that involved a Ukrainian air-launched cruise missile.
I love these understated admissions of "damage" from the orcs. Just a scratch lol

Reportedly loaded with iranian Shahed drones. That fireball clearly suggests that it had a lot of explosives of some kind on board, so good job Ukranian AF!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Russian Defense Minister: Our forces are advancing on all fronts

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/26-december-russian-defense-minister-our-forces-are-advancing

Another winter offensive for Russia, it sounds like.
First Page Last Page
Page 1246 of 1327

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.