***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,553,029 Views | 47733 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by 74OA
74OA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
80sGeorge said:

This would sure be useful over there. I know we have some drone experts around, any idea if these are being tested live??

https://bcdc.tamus.edu/bush-combat-development-complex-laser-test-site-sep-2023/

All three services are close to fielding laser weapons. For example: ARMY
notex
AG
The important thing is that it looks ominous, and Raytheon can charge tens of millions of dollars for these.

Edit to add: these palletized systems are made in McKinney, TX which is kind of cool (the facility off 380 I assume).

https://cuashub.com/content/raytheon-technologies-delivers-drone-killing-laser/

Quote:

Having successfully undergone the Air Force's Test and Assessment plan, the palletized laser weapon has proven its capabilities in safeguarding people and valuable assets against short-range airborne threats. The rigorous evaluation process involved a series of live-fire exercises spanning multiple days, during which the weapon effectively detected, targeted, tracked, and neutralized drone targets in various scenarios. These included short-range attacks, swarm attacks, and even long-range threats, showcasing the weapon's versatility and effectiveness in combating a wide range of aerial challenges.

"Anywhere the Air Force sees a threat from drones, they now have four proven laser weapons that can be deployed to stop asymmetrical threats," said Michael Hofle, senior director of High-Energy Lasers at Raytheon Technologies. "Whether it's on a fixed location, a flatbed or even a pickup, these laser weapons are compact, rugged and ready to go. That's why we're proud to support the Air Force's effort to provide this new tech to the personnel who need it in the field, who can trust and be confident in the system's capabilities."

Compact and portable, the laser weapon system is ingeniously designed to fit within the confines of a pickup truck bed. It consists of a high-energy laser weapon module, accompanied by a long-range EO/IR (Electro-Optical/Infrared) sensor that serves the dual purpose of functioning as the beam director. This comprehensive system also incorporates essential features such as thermal control, internal electrical power, and targeting software, all thoughtfully integrated to ensure optimal performance in the most demanding combat environments.

Operated through a laptop interface and a video game-style controller, the laser weapon system offers user-friendly controls. Furthermore, it seamlessly integrates with a wide array of existing air defense, command, and control systems. By plugging into these compatible systems, it adds an indispensable layer of defense, providing the necessary capabilities to protect against potential threats.

The palletized laser weapon system was built in the world's first laser weapon factory in McKinney, Texas, and delivered to the Life Cycle Management Center nine months after receipt of order.
I could see these being used around airfields.
Ag with kids
AG
10thYrSr said:

Ag with kids said:

80sGeorge said:

This would sure be useful over there. I know we have some drone experts around, any idea if these are being tested live??

https://bcdc.tamus.edu/bush-combat-development-complex-laser-test-site-sep-2023/

Cool.

I know a number of those folks there. The director is an old Ag (well, older than me). Good guy. We're supposed to do some work with them this year.

It melted the back end which may have contained the memory card. But it had no effect on the rotors or the drive unit and control board housed in the internal body of the drone. Correct me if I am wrong.

Hard to see how this tech is disabling drones.
Well, having not seen THE INSIDE of the UAS, I can't say how much damage there is internally. But, if it fried the SD card, it probably caused a nice little smoke check of the autopilot, too.

Next time I see them, I'll ask.
Ag with kids
AG
Rock1982 said:

I'll help.

The laser beam effector is tightly focused (very narrow) and precisely aimed (at the center of the quad-copter UAS).

You can see the effects of just a little laser "spill over" from the center of the quad copter onto the right aft leg of vehicle. It is quite simple to adjust the aim of the laser to a rotor housing.

Their are other counter-UAS technologies out there (kinetic / HPM / etc), but lasers will be an important part of the fight.
Our Chief Pilot did a lot of work out at Edwards on C-UAS. He can't talk about most of it, but does say he saw some freaky **** out there.
docb
AG
I'm sure it works. The poster questioning it just doesn't want it to work. There will be lots of anti drone warfare development as a result of this conflict.
sclaff
AG
Summary of last 7 to 10 days of prep work south of Bakhmut and beyond

Twice an Aggie
AG
The laser in question melts the internals as well. Seen it firsthand, up close. It melts the outer housing and destroys the drone.
Gordo14
VitruvianAg said:

Russia, the others would just seek oil from other markets, at normal prices.

Not really. There's no way to replace 10% of global crude oil supply with other markets. Oil would have to be whatever price that would cause at least 9-9.5% demand loss (assuming OPEC could quickly ramp up excess supply by 1MM bbls)... Which would be very ****ing high because demand for energy is pretty inelastic in general. The US has basically no excess supply and the capital cycle can only cause an inflection in demand about a year after the capex is in the ground. We definitely would only be able to barely chip into that supply deficit starting about 9 months after.

If you thought 2022 was bad for energy prices, Russian crude disappearing would be a market disrupting event on an order never seen before... And that's still probably underemphasizing just how dramatic it would be.
74OA
AG
UK considers conducting training inside Ukraine, arms manufacturers setting up shop in Ukraine, fresh frontline clips and other news.

Today's SITREP.
bonfarr
AG
AgLA06 said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Exactly. One of the reasons the West put a price cap on Russian oil rather than trying to ban it entirely is because anything approaching a complete loss of production would be economically disastrous.
For whom? Europe, China, India?

I'm not buying it. Most of Europe has had 2 years to solve that problem. My understanding is most of Ukraine's biggest supporters are no longer reliant on Russia at this point.

Hell, an entire content was starving without Uke grain caused by the Russian blockade. That didn't seem to matter.

Remove 12% of the World's oil and gas production and prices skyrocket it doesn't matter where they are getting the product from.
AgLA06
AG
bonfarr said:

AgLA06 said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Exactly. One of the reasons the West put a price cap on Russian oil rather than trying to ban it entirely is because anything approaching a complete loss of production would be economically disastrous.

I'm not buying it. Most of Europe has had 2 years to solve that problem. My understanding is most of Ukraine's biggest supporters are no longer reliant on Russia at this point.

Hell, an entire content was starving without Uke grain caused by the Russian blockade. That didn't seem to matter.

Remove 12% of the World's oil and gas production and prices skyrocket it doesn't matter where they are getting the product from.

I understand basic economics. We just watched the same thing happen, but with people actually starving because of grain. Not even a blink. Not getting to take a longer vacation isn't in the same ballpark.
chickencoupe16
AG
bonfarr said:

AgLA06 said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

This so much. China's been buying Russian oil on the cheap and leaving the rest of the world's supply alone. Take Russian oil away from the Chinese and they start outbidding for other countries' oil.
bonfarr
AG
AgLA06 said:

bonfarr said:

AgLA06 said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

I understand basic economics. We just watched the same thing happen, but with people actually starving because of grain. Not even a blink. Not getting to take a longer vacation isn't in the same ballpark.

I have no clue what you are trying to say about grain and vacations there. Energy prices impact everything we see and do. If Ukraine took out Russian oil and gas fields I guarantee the pressure on them to end the war will reach high levels and their support will quickly dry up.
DCPD158
AG
74OA said:

UK considers conducting training inside Ukraine, arms manufacturers setting up shop in Ukraine, fresh frontline clips and other news.

Today's SITREP.
UK really seems to have some big hate for RU
Company I-1, Ord-Ords '85 -12thFan and Websider-
GAC06
AG
More cobbled together crap from the Russians

That crap gets destroyed too:

JFABNRGR
AG
Rock1982 said:

I'll help.

The laser beam effector is tightly focused (very narrow) and precisely aimed (at the center of the quad-copter UAS).

You can see the effects of just a little laser "spill over" from the center of the quad copter onto the right aft leg of vehicle. It is quite simple to adjust the aim of the laser to a rotor housing.

Their are other counter-UAS technologies out there (kinetic / HPM / etc), but lasers will be an important part of the fight.

There are also birds of prey and pigeons which are very effective at downing drones. USA just hasn't accepted some of their sacrifices yet lives would be saved.
74OA
AG
More on what Ukraine has done to make its energy grid more resilient for this winter.

POWER
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

There are also birds of prey and pigeons which are very effective at downing drones. USA just hasn't accepted some of their sacrifices yet lives would be saved.
We'll spend billions on pigeon eradication in urban areas. We'll spend billions on anti-drone technologies. But we won't spend a dime training birds to save our soldiers lives because of "feels".

Some will say "those poor birds". I say "War Damn Eagle"
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
74OA
AG
Miscellaneous notes: UPDATES
Eliminatus
AG
docb said:

I'm sure it works. The poster questioning it just doesn't want it to work. There will be lots of anti drone warfare development as a result of this conflict.

Can confirm

It's an intangible qualifier of one of the "benefits" we get from this conflict. We ALL knew drones were the next paradigm shift in warfare. Classic USA though goes for the sexiest, largest, most expensive route. MQ9s are frankly fantastic pieces of engineering. Orrrr, blow up tanks with $500 Mavics works too. This and the mines issue has forced us again to look at how we do things and reevaluate hard. Among other things. Lotsa project shifts going on and new ones popping up as we speak.

We are learning so much in this new war about what works, what doesn't, and maybe most importantly , scalability. Again, I will never be able to prove it but I am absolutely convinced future American lives are already being saved in our next hot war.
Ulysses90
AG
One of the softest spots on the underbelly of western militaries, particularly the US, is detecting low, small, and slow UAS. Small quadcopter drones that move at treetop level are very hard to detected during daylight with the naked eye. The frequency of their rotor noise attenuates quickly and the cameras can zoom in for surveillance on targets that cannot hear them. Human vigilance isn't great and at night it almost doesn't matter because they are difficult to see even with night/thermal optics. Radar isn't a great solution for very low altitude drones either especially if one's enemy can put counterfire on a radar.

The best low cost, all weather, day and night sensing technology for low/small/slow drones is acoustic vector sensors. There's some very good technology out there but it has largely been ignored by the US military because it's not sexy and merely locates the threat. However, for small ground units that needs to identify quadcopters that are watching them and perhaps preparing to drop ordnance on them, acoustic vector sensors are probably a valuable tool. It's also very useful for localization of small arms fire and mortars. Pairing these sensors with a slew to cue remote weapon station is a good idea.

JFABNRGR
AG
agent-maroon said:

Quote:

We'll spend billions on pigeon eradication in urban areas. We'll spend billions on anti-drone technologies. But we won't spend a dime training birds to save our soldiers lives because of "feels".

Some will say "those poor birds". I say "War Damn Eagle"

Yep exactly right. Theres a small group unsavory characters who have some birds ready to deploy to Ukraine right now, but DOD not funding them to date.

Next time I see them I will see about getting some of their test vids which are pretty impressive. Especially minimal time it takes for falcon to detect presence of mini drone to intercept.
AGS-R-TUFF
AG
I do like the idea of advancing and developing laser based weapon systems. But I had a curious thought for those more informed about how these may work…

What if you painted the drones, missiles etc. with mirror like, reflective paint? Wouldn't that complicate targeting?
ABATTBQ11
AG
10thYrSr said:

Ag with kids said:

80sGeorge said:

Cool.

I know a number of those folks there. The director is an old Ag (well, older than me). Good guy. We're supposed to do some work with them this year.

It melted the back end which may have contained the memory card. But it had no effect on the rotors or the drive unit and control board housed in the internal body of the drone. Correct me if I am wrong.

Hard to see how this tech is disabling drones.

Having seen the inside of a Phantom, that things probably toast, and you have no ****ing clue what you're talking about, as usual.
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rollup: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1708511408495722513.html

javajaws
AG
Your captured Russian tank giving you problems? No problem! Just call up Russian tank tech support

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2023/10/01/a-ukrainian-officers-captured-russian-tank-wasnt-working-so-he-called-tech-support-in-russia/?sh=6f6280b513a8
aezmvp
javajaws said:

Your captured Russian tank giving you problems? No problem! Just call up Russian tank tech support

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2023/10/01/a-ukrainian-officers-captured-russian-tank-wasnt-working-so-he-called-tech-support-in-russia/?sh=6f6280b513a8
That's awesome.
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Russia constructing a new highway from Rostov to Mariupol

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/2-october-russian-constructing-a-new-highway-from-rostov
74OA
AG
Interesting. I doubt there's enough overpressure to detonate the more distant mines. Vibration from the explosion, perhaps?

P.U.T.U
AG
FAE/vacuum bombs (GBU43/B) can have a 400+ yard blast radius so they could cause lot of mines to detonate. But that would sure be an expensive way to clear mines, also most are dumb bombs and with both sides have decent air defense systems that would be..well dumb. Have to fly almost right over your target and at a cost of $16 million each that is an expensive target in the sky
First Page Last Page
Page 1216 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.