Tonga

19,546 Views | 153 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by redline248
Agthatbuilds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The time zone thing is really throwing me off.

It erupted at 0410 gmt. I read earlier it takes 34 hrs for a pressure wave to circumnavigate the globe

I can't say for sure that was a spike but I dont know what caused it otherwise

I found this earlier

Quote:

By 1883, weather stations in scores of cities across the world were using barometers to track changes in atmospheric pressure. Six hours and 47 minutes after the Krakatoa explosion, a spike of air pressure was detected in Calcutta. By 8 hours, the pulse reached Mauritius in the west and Melbourne and Sydney in the east. By 12 hours, St. Petersburg noticed the pulse, followed by Vienna, Rome, Paris, Berlin, and Munich. By 18 hours the pulse had reached New York, Washington, D.C., and Toronto. Amazingly, for as many as five days after the explosion, weather stations in 50 cities around the globe observed this unprecedented spike in pressure recurring like clockwork, approximately every 34 hours. That is roughly how long it takes sound to travel around the entire planet.

Tonga is apparently 6,262 miles from my weather station. Someone else can do the math
Catag94
AG
BMX Bandit said:

sleepybeagle said:

Todd 02 said:

Video states, "The volcano was previously declared dormant on Tuesday."

Humans are so arrogant and often wrong when it comes to understanding the world we live in.
This x 1000

Dormant does not mean extinct. It means it's capable of erupting.

Yet the original statement of humans being arrogant and frequently wrong about our world still stands.
BMX Bandit
Absolutely! (And ironic)
ballchain
BuddysBud
AG
This thread started at 2:00AM.
It's a little past noon and I just received a news flash about the eruption.

Texags appears to be the place for breaking news.
Rapier108
Todd 02 said:

The video is wrong because that volcano has regular eruptions including 2009, 2015, and just over a month ago.

Dormant would mean it has not erupted in an extremely long amount of time.
Agthatbuilds
ballchain said:

GMT is CST +6

So your 0650 CST = 1250 GMT

1250 GMT - 0410 GMT (eruption) = 8 hours 40 minutes post eruption

@ average sound velocity of 761 mph = 6,598 miles

Your estimated distance = 6,262 miles

Seems plausible that your shown pressure spike is related to the Tongan eruption.

/nerd over

Plausible.

Blue star
Ag87H2O
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

The time zone thing is really throwing me off.

It erupted at 0410 gmt. I read earlier it takes 34 hrs for a pressure wave to circumnavigate the globe

I can't say for sure that was a spike but I dont know what caused it otherwise

I found this earlier

Quote:

By 1883, weather stations in scores of cities across the world were using barometers to track changes in atmospheric pressure. Six hours and 47 minutes after the Krakatoa explosion, a spike of air pressure was detected in Calcutta. By 8 hours, the pulse reached Mauritius in the west and Melbourne and Sydney in the east. By 12 hours, St. Petersburg noticed the pulse, followed by Vienna, Rome, Paris, Berlin, and Munich. By 18 hours the pulse had reached New York, Washington, D.C., and Toronto. Amazingly, for as many as five days after the explosion, weather stations in 50 cities around the globe observed this unprecedented spike in pressure recurring like clockwork, approximately every 34 hours. That is roughly how long it takes sound to travel around the entire planet.

Tonga is apparently 6,262 miles from my weather station. Someone else can do the math

4:10 GMT is 10:10 pm CST
6,262miles/767mph = 8.16 hours

10:10 + 8.16 hours = approx. 6:20am CST

If my math is right the timing of the spike in air pressure was close enough that it was probably due to the eruption
TexAgs91
AG
ballchain said:

GMT is CST +6

So your 0650 CST = 1250 GMT

1250 GMT - 0410 GMT (eruption) = 8 hours 40 minutes post eruption

@ average sound velocity of 761 mph = 6,598 miles

Your estimated distance = 6,262 miles

Seems plausible that your shown pressure spike is related to the Tongan eruption.

/nerd over
Oh I forgot the big popup in his graphic that shows the time in CST. I was thinking the time on the bottom was CST. This matches a lot better.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
Catag94
AG
Nm
Catag94
AG
Nm.
TAMUallen
AG
Pressure spikes have been recorded all over the world. Yours is legit
Agthatbuilds
The pop up is a point on the graph unrelated to the spike. It's related to my fat fingers.

The spike is just before midnight
Catag94
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

The pop up is a point on the graph unrelated to the spike. It's related to my fat fingers.

The spike is just before midnight
I get that and just before midnight 1/14/22, right?

The eruption occurred at 04:10 GMT 01/15/22 which equals 22:10 CST 1/14/22. So your spike occurred within an hour of the eruption and yet you are a little over 8 hrs. away at shock wave speed. So, I think it is from something else..

Also, I have a station and live North of you a couple hrs. I show no spike.

ETA: I do show bit of spike that began around 07:00 CST this morning followed y a drop and another spike and drop.

sweet00
This why I have a headache today? Or maybe it's COVID. Not sure.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
stetson said:

Dude was comedic genius.

What's sad is that he was probably one of the most realistic down to earth thinkers of our time and we all just thought he was a funny guy.
Jabin
Several volcanoes in the past are suspected to have resulted in a year or two, or even more, of dramatic global cooling. There have been a few years following volcanic eruptions described as years "without summer", with snow in New England in July.

I wonder if this eruption could have that impact?
Owlagdad
DrEvazanPhD said:

And that one eruption probably pumped more co2 into the atmosphere than we've "saved" through 20 years of "green policies"

But you can do your part to save the earth!!
Agthatbuilds
sweet00 said:

This why I have a headache today? Or maybe it's COVID. Not sure.

Let me put on my doctor hat.

I'm gonna guess the front blowing through, this crazy ass wind kicking up all the dust and covid.

Take a couple aspirin.
Agthatbuilds
I think you're correct
Catag94
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

I think you're correct

Here is my recording this morning.

Agthatbuilds
I've have something similar around 710 this morning.
Agthatbuilds
BuddysBud said:

This thread started at 2:00AM.
It's a little past noon and I just received a news flash about the eruption.

Texags appears to be the place for breaking news.

I woke up at 1am this morning and couldn't go back to sleep.
Catag94
AG
Cool. I think that both our stations caught the shockwave from over 6,200 miles and roughly 8.7 hrs later.
Agthatbuilds

Wtf is even going on. I can't confirm whether this is from this event or a different t one

In the second video, we can learn why playing is a tsunami is a poor choice, even if you're wearing a life jacket. Like Ron white says about hurricanes, it's not just that the water is rushing in, it's what the water is rushing in. She promptly gets washed into a bunch of limbs and gets stuck for a sec while the water quickly rises over her. Luckily it wasn't super strong, but learn a lesson here kids.
wessimo
AG
That dude showed nature who's boss!
Agthatbuilds
Agthatbuilds
If you fight the guy, his face should be wide open so long as you protect your body
Towns03
AG
1) that a totally normal reaction to banana trees. He's likely on round four trying to get rid of the tree.

2) the life jacket makes me think he was expecting the wave. Big balls.
TyHolden
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Wtf is even going on. I can't confirm whether this is from this event or a different t one

In the second video, we can learn why playing is a tsunami is a poor choice, even if you're wearing a life jacket. Like Ron white says about hurricanes, it's not just that the water is rushing in, it's what the water is rushing in. She promptly gets washed into a bunch of limbs and gets stuck for a sec while the water quickly rises over her. Luckily it wasn't super strong, but learn a lesson here kids.

Thank God for the camera extender…
jeremy
AG
Todd 02 said:

Humans are so arrogant and often wrong when it comes to understanding the world we live in.
CyclingAg82
AG
WolfCall said:

Thanks for this CyclingAg82.
One of Crichton's better books is "State of Fear".

It is fiction, but uses real NOAA weather data.

But it explains a lot of what he thinks drives the climate change industrial complex.

Good read.
West Point Aggie
AG
That video of beating up the banana tree is funny but not from Tonga…still, hilariously shows lower IQ types!
Let’s Go Brandon!
Colonel Nonreg
AG
Somerset said:

Well I'm disappointed. When I read the post title I thought this discussion was about the strip joint in Beaumont.
Oh my God you have low standards.
“Indecision is the cornerstone of defeat”
Agthatbuilds
West Point Aggie said:

That video of beating up the banana tree is funny but not from Tonga…still, hilariously shows lower IQ types!

Yeah, still hilarious

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.