Tonga

19,545 Views | 153 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by redline248
cbr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interesting thought. It is time lapse of course. That shock wave remained visible for a radius of over 1500 miles, which would probably take 1-2 hours? But the scary thing is, wouldnt a shockwave visible from space do severe damage to manmade structures for most if not all of its visible radius? I guess the world can count itself pretty lucky it went off in one of the most remote places on earth, and hope its done.

And lol-'declared dormant on tuesday'. Ygbkm
Stat Monitor Repairman
Global warming so bad now you got mountains exploding!

Pepaw save us!
Agthatbuilds
Agthatbuilds
cbr said:

Interesting thought. It is time lapse of course. That shock wave remained visible for a radius of over 1500 miles, which would probably take 1-2 hours? But the scary thing is, wouldnt a shockwave visible from space do severe damage to manmade structures for most if not all of its visible radius? I guess the world can count itself pretty lucky it went off in one of the most remote places on earth, and hope its done.

How much did it being an underwater volcano dampen the blast?
revvie
AG
Is that place still around???
cbr
AG
cbr said:

Never mind. Looks like people 200 miles away barely heard it. Thankfully. But cool video.
Krautag81
MookieBlaylock said:

Well that just ruined my anti climate change efforts for the next 50k years
You beat me to this, I wonder how many and how much was released naturally? Libs are a disease.
wbt5845
AG
I have never understood the claim that "consensus" has anything to do with science. For decades, Einstein was the only person who believed general relativity.
TexAgs91
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

That's 433 miles away
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
WolfCall
AG
Thanks for this CyclingAg82.
You voted for this because you didn't like Mean Tweets?!
TexAgs91
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

I think my weather station caught a pressure spike

Where is this?
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
sleepybeagle
AG
Todd 02 said:

Video states, "The volcano was previously declared dormant on Tuesday."

Humans are so arrogant and often wrong when it comes to understanding the world we live in.
This x 1000
redline248
AG
Since it was underwater, that has to be a water wave going out and not a shockwave, right? Wouldn't a shockwave travel much faster (given the time lapse)?
AgCat93
AG
BigRobSA said:

Did the factory where they make the Tonga trucks make it ok!?
wessimo
AG
Global cooling incoming...

WolfCall
AG
Catag94 said:

Todd 02 said:

Humans are so arrogant and often wrong when it comes to understanding the world we live in.

This can't be stated enough. Thank you sir. Beat me to it.
^ This

I wonder if this eruption moves the Dooms Day Clock another 30 seconds closer to the mythological midnight?

Carbon released into the atmosphere has a half life of 100 to 150 years. Reducing man made carbon emissions will have minimal effect, especially when compared to eruptions like we are seeing now.

If people are really worried about increased temperatures, they should focus on how to live in a world with increasing temperatures. We should be able to figure it out....
Reno Hightower
WolfCall said:

Catag94 said:

Todd 02 said:

This can't be stated enough. Thank you sir. Beat me to it.
^ This

I wonder if this eruption moves the Dooms Day Clock another 30 seconds closer to the mythological midnight?

Carbon released into the atmosphere has a half life of 100 to 150 years. Reducing man made carbon emissions will have minimal effect, especially when compared to eruptions like we are seeing now.

If people are really worried about increased temperatures, they should focus on how to live in a world with increasing temperatures. We should be able to figure it out....

The answer is to tax the crap out of ourselves and give the $$ to the UN and Klaus Schwab.
wessimo
AG
wessimo
AG
TexAgs91
AG
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
Wearer of the Ring
AG
This is the kind of crap that happens when we put too many Marines on Guam.
FJB
peacedude
AG
Recent Paris Climate Conference:

If it were held this week (using the same pic):

"Bow your head (no chuckling) if Tonga's eruption just bailed your country's polluting a** out."

Roll Call:
China - Check
Russia - Check
UK - Check
... - Check
TexAgs91
AG
redline248 said:

Since it was underwater, that has to be a water wave going out and not a shockwave, right? Wouldn't a shockwave travel much faster (given the time lapse)?
The blast was not only underwater. It blasted way up into the atmosphere as well. The atmospheric shockwave was going Mach 1 or about 760 mph. Each frame of the Himawari video is 10 minutes, so given that you can see the shockwave in the global video for about 8 frames, that's 1 hr 20 minutes: that's about 1000 miles.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
redline248
AG
TexAgs91 said:

redline248 said:

The blast was not only underwater. It blasted way up into the atmosphere as well. The atmospheric shockwave was going Mach 1 or about 760 mph. Each frame of the Himawari video is 10 minutes, so given that you can see the shockwave in the global video for about 8 frames, that's 1 hr 20 minutes: that's about 1000 miles.
damn. I guess I forgot to consider how far away the camera is that captures the video.
Agthatbuilds
TexAgs91 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Where is this?

Round rock
TexAgs91
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

TexAgs91 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Where is this?

Round rock
Wow... So that's about a 11.5 hr travel time
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
WolfCall
AG
Amazing the impact this can have across the ocean ....
Gigem314
AG
doubledog said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

And that one eruption probably pumped more co2 into the atmosphere than we've "saved" through 20 years of "green policies"

captkirk
AG
Todd 02 said:

I guess the science wasn't settled
Rockdoc
AG
Gigem314 said:

doubledog said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

And that one eruption probably pumped more co2 into the atmosphere than we've "saved" through 20 years of "green policies"

Yep and it'll be this way until the end of time. There is no man made climate change.
BMX Bandit
sleepybeagle said:

Todd 02 said:

This x 1000

Dormant does not mean extinct. It means it's capable of erupting.
VaultingChemist
AG
CyclingAg82 said:

Clob94 said:

Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

Todd 02 said:

Plate Tectonics - eleventy billion, Man - Still zero

I'm sure this will be spun as something we contributed to.
The day this planet decides that she is done with us, she'll reach into her tool box and grab one of her many options-- and there won't be f*** all we can do about it. She will drop us like 3rd period French.

Michael Crichton's view on consensus

Quote:

Here's what Michael Crichton had to say about "scientific consensus" back in 2003 when he gave a lecture at the California Institute of Technology titled "Aliens Cause Global Warming" (emphasis mine):
Quote:

I want to pause here and talk about this notion of consensus, and the rise of what has been called consensus science. I regard consensus science as an extremely pernicious development that ought to be stopped cold in its tracks. Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled. Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you're being had.
Let's be clear: the work of science has nothing whatever to do with consensus. Consensus is the business of politics. Science, on the contrary, requires only one investigator who happens to be right, which means that he or she has results that are verifiable by reference to the real world. In science consensus is irrelevant. What is relevant is reproducible results. The greatest scientists in history are great precisely because they broke with the consensus. There is no such thing as consensus science. If it's consensus, it isn't science. If it's science, it isn't consensus. Period.
In addition, let me remind you that the track record of the consensus is nothing to be proud of. Let's review a few cases.In past centuries, the greatest killer of women was fever following childbirth. One woman in six died of this fever. In 1795, Alexander Gordon of Aberdeen suggested that the fevers were infectious processes, and he was able to cure them. The consensus said no.
In 1843, Oliver Wendell Holmes claimed puerperal fever was contagious, and presented compelling evidence. The consensus said no.
In 1849, Semmelweiss demonstrated that sanitary techniques virtually eliminated puerperal fever in hospitals under his management. The consensus said he was a Jew, ignored him, and dismissed him from his post. There was in fact no agreement on puerperal fever until the start of the twentieth century. Thus the consensus took one hundred and twenty five years to arrive at the right conclusion despite the efforts of the prominent "skeptics" around the world, skeptics who were demeaned and ignored. And despite the constant ongoing deaths of women.
There is no shortage of other examples. In the 1920s in America, tens of thousands of people, mostly poor, were dying of a disease called pellagra. The consensus of scientists said it was infectious, and what was necessary was to find the "pellagra germ." The US government asked a brilliant young investigator, Dr. Joseph Goldberger, to find the cause. Goldberger concluded that diet was the crucial factor. The consensus remained wedded to the germ theory.
Goldberger demonstrated that he could induce the disease through diet. He demonstrated that the disease was not infectious by injecting the blood of a pellagra patient into himself, and his assistant. They and other volunteers swabbed their noses with swabs from pellagra patients, and swallowed capsules containing scabs from pellagra rashes in what were called "Goldberger's filth parties." Nobody contracted pellagra.
The consensus continued to disagree with him. There was, in addition, a social factor-southern States disliked the idea of poor diet as the cause, because it meant that social reform was required. They continued to deny it until the 1920s. Result-despite a twentieth century epidemic, the consensus took years to see the light.
Probably every schoolchild notices that South America and Africa seem to fit together rather snugly, and Alfred Wegener proposed, in 1912, that the continents had in fact drifted apart. The consensus sneered at continental drift for fifty years. The theory was most vigorously denied by the great names of geology-until 1961, when it began to seem as if the sea floors were spreading. The result: it took the consensus fifty years to acknowledge what any schoolchild sees.
And shall we go on? The examples can be multiplied endlessly. Jenner and smallpox, Pasteur and germ theory. Saccharine, margarine, repressed memory, fiber and colon cancer, hormone replacement therapy. The list of consensus errors goes on and on.
Finally, I would remind you to notice where the claim of consensus is invoked. Consensus is invoked only in situations where the science is not solid enough. Nobody says the consensus of scientists agrees that E=mc2. Nobody says the consensus is that the sun is 93 million miles away. It would never occur to anyone to speak that way.

Emphasis on bolded parts.

When nature happens there ain't crap we can do about it, but try and convince any global warming / climate change loons of this.

Amen. I couldn't agree more with Crichton.

Our civilization is advanced because of scientists who dared to challenge the status quo.

I have a 60MB hard drive in my storage building that is the size of a washing machine and weighs just as much. It was cutting edge technology in 1980. Now you can buy a 2TB SD memory card.
West Point Aggie
AG
doubledog said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

Anything that pokes fun with the swedish meatball, im a big fan of!
Let’s Go Brandon!
West Point Aggie
AG
WolfCall said:

Amazing the impact this can have across the ocean ....

…if water is displaced in the vertical, it just becomes a matter of physics and coastal geomorphology. What's fascinating is who gets it and who does not!
Let’s Go Brandon!
pacecar02
Every one of you so called conservatives should be burning Benjamins in the barbecue right now to make up for all of our environmental sins!!!!!11111111one

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.