***** OFFICIAL Russia v. Ukraine *****

1,066,519 Views | 10330 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TRM
oneeyedag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Speaking of, which countries have expelled their Russian embassy staff?
redline248
AG
Eliminatus said:

redline248 said:

Is it possible for the US and EU nations to squeeze Russia so hard that the everyday people in Russia feel economic and daily life pain? Would it force more people protesting and lead to actual civil unrest that would force Putin to rethink things?

Or what else can be done short of military action against targets inside Russia?
That's about it tbh. It really is. Attack the financials and hope they wither and die on the vine. Which will take time. Russia stacked cash reserves apparently. Enough for at least a little while. Russia will destabilize to SOME extent. Just need to put that on a slider with time, casualties, and world opinion and at some junction of those variables Ukraine may actually live.
It just baffles me that the so-called Western world seems, largely, unwilling to really put the hurt on Russia and doesn't care if Ukraine becomes Putin's puppet state.
Southlake
Guess the Russians won't have to worry about their exempt status to the Olympics…
TChaney
lb3
AG
redline248 said:

Is it possible for the US and EU nations to squeeze Russia so hard that the everyday people in Russia feel economic and daily life pain? Would it force more people protesting and lead to actual civil unrest that would force Putin to rethink things?

Or what else can be done short of military action against targets inside Russia?
Is it possible? Yes. A complete economic embargo would crush Russia (until China could close the gap). But Europe would suffer a major energy shock when Russia responded in kind.
Eliminatus
AG
redline248 said:

Eliminatus said:

redline248 said:

That's about it tbh. It really is. Attack the financials and hope they wither and die on the vine. Which will take time. Russia stacked cash reserves apparently. Enough for at least a little while. Russia will destabilize to SOME extent. Just need to put that on a slider with time, casualties, and world opinion and at some junction of those variables Ukraine may actually live.
It just baffles me that the so-called Western world seems, largely, unwilling to really put the hurt on Russia and doesn't care if Ukraine becomes Putin's puppet state.
Lots of speculation as to why. Probably a combination of all of them of course. IMO, the biggest weapon Russia is its nukes. They are using them to browbeat us and keep us on the fence, afraid of what may be. Meanwhile they bully and invade other countries at their whim.

This is akin to watching the neighborhood bully beat on the young kids while the older kids watch, afraid that if they intervene, guns come out.
AlaskanAg99
AG
And that's the crux, the harshest rmbargos on oil/NG would crush Europe because they've tied themselves so deeply to energy imports.

Be a shame if some of those plants pushing pipelines suddenly went offline because they exploded.
flakrat
AG
TChaney said:

Is he joking or serious? Can't tell.
FamousAgg
I'm shocked
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Russia is apparently ready to negotiate.

Quote:

"We are ready to hold talks at any moment, once the Ukrainian Armed Forces respond to our president's call, end their resistance and lay down their arms," Lavrov said.

Riiiight. That's not having talks, that's called surrender.
japantiger
S
lb3 said:

redline248 said:

Is it possible? Yes. A complete economic embargo would crush Russia (until China could close the gap). But Europe would suffer a major energy shock when Russia responded in kind.
Russia supplies 35% of Europe's Natural Gas...this was before Nordstream2. Germany is set to mothball it's remaining 3 nuclear reactors. It gets awfully cold in Northern Europe and the son doesn't shine much for a lot of the year. They have no alternative. They walked right into Putin's hands.
Engine10
AG
Trying to find a map of this line.

wessimo
AG
Need to pull out the stops on American pipelines and LNG export.
TRM
AG
lb3
AG
Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania are on the clock.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
The Chechen news really troubles me. These will be the guys committing mass war crimes roe the sake of creating fear to control the population. I pray they don't even make it to Ukraine
TChaney
Quote:

Is he joking or serious? Can't tell.
I really don't know.

But there are a lot of people out there trying to get into top victim status positions.

BQ78
AG
I'd say Moldova would be next on the clock to keep them out of Rumania's arms. Another non-NATO former USSR Republic to regain without the west doing any more than they are doing now.
TChaney
Engine10
AG
Fking now??!
TChaney
TChaney
Russia shut off the gas
redline248
AG
Better late than never, but should have happened when the first missile was launched. Same for the US
45-70Ag
AG
Engine10
AG
Yeah understood. **** em.

Let the US and others step up cargo exports - we'll find a way.
Strongweasel97
AG
japantiger said:

lb3 said:

redline248 said:

Russia supplies 35% of Europe's Natural Gas...this was before Nordstream2. Germany is set to mothball it's remaining 3 nuclear reactors. It gets awfully cold in Northern Europe and the son doesn't shine much for a lot of the year. They have no alternative. They walked right into Putin's hands.
Good answers.

I'll add: the odds that everyday people in Russian have a chance to force Putin to rethink things ended 48 hours ago. And it took ~70 years of economic pain under a brutal government the last time around---without China as an economic powerhouse.
knj2417
AG
What a dumb @ss
Demosthenes81
AG
BattleGrackle said:

I'm shocked

Evidence of the stupidity of the Miley Doctrine.
Seven and three are ten, not only now, but forever. There has never been a time when seven and three were not ten, nor will there ever be a time when they are not ten. Therefore, I have said that the truth of number is incorruptible and common to all who think. — St. Augustine
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Trigger Warning: Disturbing video if clicked.

ETA: yes, I know this guy is lib whack job.
aggielostinETX
AG
Marvin_Zindler said:

ETA: yes, I know this guy is lib whack job.

Car driver survived.
TRM
AG
PJYoung
AG
BQ78 said:

I'd say Moldova would be next on the clock to keep them out of Rumania's arms. Another non-NATO former USSR Republic to regain without the west doing any more than they are doing now.

Moldova then Georgia.
japantiger
S
TRM said:

Example 4,323,876 of why this is not our problem.
k20dub
AG
Truck driver that just left our shop in Houston told us he's been hauling military tanks up to Alaska the last few weeks and showed us pictures.
aeroag14
AG
PJYoung said:

BQ78 said:

Moldova then Georgia.

Romanians aren't going to just let that happen
First Page Last Page
Page 126 of 296

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.