Thoughts of an Afghan vet

28,144 Views | 196 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CREAg87
Teslag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aalan94 said:

Quote:

Quote:

$45 billion and 20,000 troops was a damn small price to pay to keep our boot on the neck of the snake. Keep in mind, that's FEWER than the 28,000 troops we keep in South Korea SEVENTY YEARS after that war ended.
It absolutely is too much. And we should leave Korea too.
Let's visit again when the dirty nuke goes off in Dallas.

Ah yes, the "let's fight them there so we don't have to here defense".
Eliminatus
AG
Great writeup. I can contest a few points but overall hard agree with the premise of it all.

Our government, the Biden administration, screwed the pooch on this so bad that it truly is hard for me to put into words. Glad you attempted to and did a good job.

I just hope that this disaster is finally something large enough that our media can't ignore. I know it's a trope by now, but the whole , " Can you imagine if this happened under Trump..." Has never been more true. Impeachment filings would have happened at least a week ago and it would be 24/7 excoriation with literal foaming at the mouth talking heads.

I can't remember the last time I have been so disgusted.
Goro Majima
AG
First of all, thank you for your service to our country.

Secondly, thank you for the absolutely outstanding analysis.

Lastly, **** anyone that voted for Biden. They voted for this.
Tanya 93
Salute The Marines said:

aalan94 said:

Quote:

Quote:

$45 billion and 20,000 troops was a damn small price to pay to keep our boot on the neck of the snake. Keep in mind, that's FEWER than the 28,000 troops we keep in South Korea SEVENTY YEARS after that war ended.
It absolutely is too much. And we should leave Korea too.
Let's visit again when the dirty nuke goes off in Dallas.

why is that not the optimal option if fighting has to be done?

I would rather have the military drop bombs over there and than have to fight in the streets here
Rock1982
AG
Exactly on the mark in every regard.

The world has suddenly become a much more dangerous place for Americans. Our future prospects for peace, prosperity, and liberty are greatly diminished, especially for our children.

China and Russia are certainly emboldened by our feeble and foolish President (and his handlers).

This is without question the strategic disaster of our lives.
aalan94
AG
Quote:

As long as it is ME who VOLUNTEERED to go while you're sitting on your ****ing couch safe knowing that we have no draft in America, what's your problem with that?
jagvocate
AG
All great insights into why America needs to quit spilling our blood and capital all over the world.

Hunt the bad guys until they are dead, but quit the nation-building.
Tex117
AG
Absolutely heartbreaking.

There just had to be a better way....
Dan Scott
AG
My position has been to not care if Taliban is in control as long as they don't harm Americans. Your post and seeing videos of Afghans falling from airplanes make me think differently. Thank you.
chickencoupe16
AG
aggiedent said:

2. Why did anyone believe we could ever train the Afghanistan armed forces to fight on their own when the Afghan leadership has been so week and serviceman aren't even getting paid regularly. You can't prop up weak and ineffectual governments to stand on their own. Nobody ever seems to learn historical lessons.

You can, though. South Korea is a shining example. If the US doesn't step in North Korean troops roll up the South just as quickly as this, especially if you consider it relative to the speed advantages that modern tech gives the Taliban.

Today, South Korea has a thriving economy, highly western society, and according to a Marine friend, their troops were best he worked with. As Aalan said, the Afghans needed time and support. We can argue if they deserved it or if it would have been as net positive for us, but let's not pretend that leaving like we are and not giving the ANA a heads up was destined for anything but failure.
Jsimonds58
AG
As a fellow vet my overwhelming feeling besides anger is, what was the point of it all. How many friends came back ****ed up or didn't come back at all and for what? So some idiot could run back the same script he helped but in place in '75 that screwed another ally of ours? I agree we needed to pull back but keep a presence in country to support the ANA so all of this American blood wouldn't be in vain.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Eliminatus said:

Great writeup. I can contest a few points but overall hard agree with the premise of it all.

Our government, the Biden administration, screwed the pooch on this so bad that it truly is hard for me to put into words. Glad you attempted to and did a good job.

I just hope that this disaster is finally something large enough that our media can't ignore. I know it's a trope by now, but the whole , " Can you imagine if this happened under Trump..." Has never been more true. Impeachment filings would have happened at least a week ago and it would be 24/7 excoriation with literal foaming at the mouth talking heads.

I can't remember the last time I have been so disgusted.
It won't be ignored right now, but does anybody really think most Americans will be paying much attention or care what is going on in Afganistan a year from now? Probably this message board will not have a single active thread on Afganistan in August 2022. Probably a lot earlier than that Afganistan will cease to be a topic getting much activity here.

Sept. 11 was 20 years ago. Bin Laden was killed 10 years ago. The majority of Americans had lost interest in what was going on over there. That is why you saw more and more voter apathy to have troops over there and there was increasing pressure to cut bait.

Domestic issues primarily drive politics and elections, barring exceptional circumstances.
Eliminatus
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

aggiedent said:

2. Why did anyone believe we could ever train the Afghanistan armed forces to fight on their own when the Afghan leadership has been so week and serviceman aren't even getting paid regularly. You can't prop up weak and ineffectual governments to stand on their own. Nobody ever seems to learn historical lessons.

You can, though. South Korea is a shining example. If the US doesn't step in North Korean troops roll up the South just as quickly as this, especially if you consider it relative to the speed advantages that modern tech gives the Taliban.

Today, South Korea has a thriving economy, highly western society, and according to a Marine friend, their troops were best he worked with. As Aalan said, the Afghans needed time and support. We can argue if they deserved it or if it would have been as net positive for us, but let's not pretend that leaving like we are and not giving the ANA a heads up was destined for anything but failure.

It's culture. It's not apples to apples. You have a hard working, industrious, and proud people to work with. Then you have the Afghans. They f'ing suck as a people that we want to have western ideals and capabilities.
will25u
I don't mean to sound rude when I say this, just that I want to get my on the ground views of the ANA.

Let me preface this by saying... I have deployed to the ME 5 times, twice to Afghanistan, and twice to Iraq.

I have a completely different view of the ANA and their willingness to do much of anything. But my last deployment to Afghanistan was in 2013. So things could have changed in the 8 years since, but I don't know that I think much has changed seeing as how the Taliban completely ran over the ANA.

In my last two deployments, I was with an Engineer Battalion and we did route clearance. Now I didn't go on many of the route clearance missions as I was not an Engineer, but I was in the TOC(Tactical Operations Center) all of the time.

First of all, Green on Blue attacks were a real thing back in 2013. So not all ANA are aligned with the US. Most I would say were genuinely *trying*, but even after years of training, and modern equipment, quite a bit of ANA were flakey at best.

If one of our RC Missions were to get blown up, they would immediately call for the QRF(Quick Reaction Force). Quite a few times, the ANA would show up and just sit there supposedly helping with a cordon, but they would be woefully inept, or mostly sitting behind the convoy on the road just waiting.

Sometimes we would have ANA RC missions, they would get blown up, and wait for the US QRF to get there to provide security.

I don't have the best view of the ANA from seeing them in real time. Maybe things changed, but I have my doubts. To me, they were not some fighting force that could think/do for themselves. They mostly always relied on the US for input before doing anything.
pdc093
Thank you, a'94.
I have SO appreciated your posts over the years.
Bless you.
Jsimonds58
AG
The ANA are useless and without American support folded in a way anyone who had ever interacted with them before could have predicted. But the amount of support required to keep those idiots functioning in the grand scheme of things is incredibly small, but Biden couldn't have that. Gotta get his PR points for pulling us out
Eliminatus
AG
will25u said:

I don't mean to sound rude when I say this, just that I want to get my on the ground views of the ANA.

Let me preface this by saying... I have deployed to the ME 5 times, twice to Afghanistan, and twice to Iraq.

I have a completely different view of the ANA and their willingness to do much of anything. But my last deployment to Afghanistan was in 2013. So things could have changed in the 8 years since, but I don't know that I think much has changed seeing as how the Taliban completely ran over the ANA.

In my last two deployments, I was with an Engineer Battalion and we did route clearance. Now I didn't go on many of the route clearance missions as I was not an Engineer, but I was in the TOC(Tactical Operations Center) all of the time.

First of all, Green on Blue attacks were a real thing back in 2013. So not all ANA are aligned with the US. Most I would say were genuinely *trying*, but even after years of training, and modern equipment, quite a bit of ANA were flakey at best.

If one of our RC Missions were to get blown up, they would immediately call for the QRF(Quick Reaction Force). Quite a few times, the ANA would show up and just sit there supposedly helping with a cordon, but they would be woefully inept, or mostly sitting behind the convoy on the road just waiting.

Sometimes we would have ANA RC missions, they would get blown up, and wait for the US QRF to get there to provide security.

I don't have the best view of the ANA from seeing them in real time. Maybe things changed, but I have my doubts. To me, they were not some fighting force that could think/do for themselves. They mostly always relied on the US for input before doing anything.

Was probably my biggest contention with the OP. It may be a microcosm but I worked with and dealt with the ANA and ANP first as a trigger puller and then a contractor. I keep seeing these stories here of brave and steady Afghan forces failing because we left and they saved lives and whatnot. I don't disbelieve those anecdotes of course and I know it happened but I just wanna know, where the hell are these magical lands and people y'all speak of?! Lol. Our afghans were the worst as men and as a people. No pride, no self reliance, the shadiest backstabbers I have seen or heard of...

I have now directly responded to three other vets making the point to bring all terps to the US ASAP with minimal clearance. I have countered their stories of amazing terps with the ones that actively tried to get us killed. And did. There are maybe about three men in the world I would murder on the spot and damn the consequences and our terp is one of them.

Not one of those people responded back to me.
bmks270
AG
After 20 years, why didn't we kill off all of the Taliban?
aggiehawg
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

aggiedent said:

But could they defend their country in the event of a Chinese supported invasion from North Korea without considerable support from the U.S.? Could the Germans against Russia?

I don't think so.

Eliminatus
AG
bmks270 said:

We weren't allowed to. That is end all, be all from where I sit these days. It would have taken levels of warfare that America can't do to do get rid of them as a viable force and even then, that is still pretty debatable. We haven't killed cockroaches either.
chickencoupe16
AG
Eliminatus said:

chickencoupe16 said:

aggiedent said:

It's culture. It's not apples to apples. You have a hard working, industrious, and proud people to work with. Then you have the Afghans. They f'ing suck as a people that we want to have western ideals and capabilities.

I'm curious what your thoughts of the culture of 1950s South Korea would have been. 50 years in modern times changes a place quite rapidly.

50 years ago, the extreme weirdos in the US thought that the gays were.maybe not awful. Today the extreme weirdos want to give puberty blockers to children and even the gays are turning away from them.
Demosthenes81
AG
aggiehawg said:

chickencoupe16 said:

aggiedent said:

But could they defend their country in the event of a Chinese supported invasion from North Korea without considerable support from the U.S.? Could the Germans against Russia?

I don't think so.

Could we defend our nation in similar circumstances? It is starting to look like not. Perhaps we do need to hang together or will we hang separately.
Seven and three are ten, not only now, but forever. There has never been a time when seven and three were not ten, nor will there ever be a time when they are not ten. Therefore, I have said that the truth of number is incorruptible and common to all who think. — St. Augustine
bmks270
AG
Eliminatus said:

bmks270 said:

We weren't allowed to. That is end all, be all from where I sit these days. It would have taken levels of warfare that America can't do to do get rid of them as a viable force and even then, that is still pretty debatable. We haven't killed cockroaches either.

What do you mean "not allowed to."

MapGuy
Quote:

I have now directly responded to three other vets making the point to bring all terps to the US ASAP with minimal clearance.
I am one of those Vets that feels that the Afghans that risked their lives helping us should be removed from Afghanistan for their safety and I know others have agreed, but I don't recall anyone calling for them to be allowed in with minimal clearance. My suggestion was a third party country while they are vetted or in the states in a controlled community with constant over watch while the background checks are fully investigated.
agsalaska
AG
Demosthenes81 said:

aggiehawg said:

chickencoupe16 said:

aggiedent said:

I don't think so.

Could we defend our nation in similar circumstances? It is starting to look like not. Perhaps we do need to hang together or will we hang separately.
That's a good point.
lil99chris
AG
Could South Korea and Japan protect themselves if the United States also decided to pull out? The Taliban and terrorists are now in power and 20 years of stability is down the drain.
Eliminatus
AG
bmks270 said:

Eliminatus said:

bmks270 said:

What do you mean "not allowed to."

We would have had to go door to door and root them out one by one. We were not allocated the resources, personnel, or have the rules of engagement to support that. We would have to be brutal and impose our will on the populace. That was never going to happen.

Think about this, at the absolute height of the troop surge and blank check era, we had what....like 125000 people deployed across an entire country in Iraq? That is a half measure at best. Afghanistan we never even got that close.
aggiehawg
AG
Demosthenes81 said:

aggiehawg said:

chickencoupe16 said:

aggiedent said:

I don't think so.

From a ground invasion? Yes we could defend ourselves because of air superiority. But that's right now.

No telling what might happen in the future. Every Democrat President since LBJ has been anti-military and have torn it down. Biden just delivered a body blow to an already demoralized fighting force.
CDUB98
AG
MapGuy said:

Quote:

I have now directly responded to three other vets making the point to bring all terps to the US ASAP with minimal clearance.
I am one of those Vets that feels that the Afghans that risked their lives helping us should be removed from Afghanistan for their safety and I know others have agreed, but I don't recall anyone calling for them to be allowed in with minimal clearance. My suggestion was a third party country while they are vetted or in the states in a controlled community with constant over watch while the background checks are fully investigated.

Kind of hard to vette people without any documentation.
MapGuy
CDUB98 said:

Kind of hard to vette people without any documentation.
Completely agree and I'd say we err on the side of caution if their background is devoid of documentation and they can't be vetted, they don't get in.
Burdizzo
AG
Eliminatus said:

bmks270 said:

Taliban sounds like Fire Ants. Exterminating them is impossible so you figure out how to manage them and have to do regular maintenance to keep them out of your lawn.
Eliminatus
AG
MapGuy said:

Quote:

On a case by case, sure. Definitely not unreasonable and should have been happening from day one. No, more than one person wanted ALL Afghans that helped us to be given citizenship. And that I hard disagree with. Motivations to work with us was not always because they had American ideals in their hearts and then there are those who just did it to hurt and kill us. Which is more than a few I assure you.

I get it, some of us grew attached to our terps. Good on them and yes, some of them should have every opportunity to be brought here. But that is not carte blanche and never should be.

So how do you set that as a macro policy? That is the main problem I think.
Bird Poo
AG
bmks270 said:

Taliban = Pakistan
MapGuy
Completely agree with that sentiment
Eliminatus
AG
Burdizzo said:

Eliminatus said:

bmks270 said:

Taliban sounds like Fire Ants. Exterminating them is impossible so you figure out how to manage them and have to do regular maintenance to keep them out of your lawn.

You can't shoot an idea. ABUNDANTLY clear at this point. Yes, the Taliban are ruthless and materialistic warlords, but they still recruit and keep their regular joes in line with religious extremism. And you can't kill religion. That lesson goes back millennia.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.