The tearing down of Kerri Strug

12,786 Views | 155 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aggie Joe 93
Squadron7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TXTransplant said:

BCG Disciple said:

Wasn't Simone diddled by Larry Nasser. I know the justice department (yes, the left wing Justice dept) just eviscerated the FBIs awful handling/investigation of that case, potentially allowing Nasser to diddle 100 more athletes.

I can't pretend to know what Biles is experiencing mentally. I do know the BLM party line she supported is one that lacks accountability and blames every else, which is the very foundation of mental fragility. I have a very hard time supporting her for that reason.

She's 24 and has won 30 Olympic and World Championship medals. She won four golds at the last Olympics. She's been all-around World Champion five times.

She is the gymnast with the most World medals and most World gold medals. She's the only American female gymnast to win a World medal on every event, and she's won a medal on every Olympic Games and World Championship event.

There is no way she could have accomplished all of that without being incredibly mentally tough. Which is why I tend to think she must have had some sort of breakdown right before the event. She's probably tougher than 99% of the population, but she's still human and not a robot.

Agree. That is why I will not comment on Biles and/or her decision. She obviously has the chops and may well have been the GOAT. I just don't have the knowledge to pontificate one way or the other.

My issue is that there are some that think this is an excuse/reason to revisit Kerri Strug's triumph...which should (and does) stand on it's own.

TXTransplant
Yeah, I read that article about Strug with a totally different perspective.

I read it as a criticism of Karolyi and US gymnastics. I remember watching live and feeling uncomfortable about what was transpiring. But, like lots of others, I brushed it aside when they won. I wrote off Karolyi's behavior as "tough love" and figured that's what it takes to be a champion. Because I was 17 (basically the same age as Strug) and didn't know any better.

But the red flags were right there on tv for the whole world to see in 1996. It's awful that it took another 10+ years for it all to come to light.

A lot of this is 20/20 hindsight, but I'm sure there were even brighter red flags that those in the inner circles saw. But the culture of silence didn't just apply to the athletes.

Other posts have mentioned gaslighting - I feel like US Gymnastics was gaslighting these girls, their families, and the public/fans who admired them.

blacksox
Does she sound like a victim of a toxic whatever or a world class athlete happy to have left it all on the "field" and come away a winner?

Malibu
EOT
TXTransplant
Being abused doesn't lock you into to playing the role of the "poor me" victim for your entire life. People can have scary, hurtful, traumatic experiences and be able to overcome them and not dwell on them for the rest of their life.

In fact, one could argue that the exact same personality traits that make these women Olympic champions are what allows them to overcome whatever hardship they may have endured to get there.

Strug also didn't train as much with the Karolyi's as the more recent gymnasts. She only worked with them twice, in 1992 and 1996, specifically in preparation for the Olympics. Her time with them also pre-dated Nassar (and I believe it predates their training compound up in Huntsville).

Edit: Yes, Karolyi didn't become national team coordinator and require athletes to train in Huntsville until 1999.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
TXTransplant said:

BCG Disciple said:

Wasn't Simone diddled by Larry Nasser. I know the justice department (yes, the left wing Justice dept) just eviscerated the FBIs awful handling/investigation of that case, potentially allowing Nasser to diddle 100 more athletes.

I can't pretend to know what Biles is experiencing mentally. I do know the BLM party line she supported is one that lacks accountability and blames every else, which is the very foundation of mental fragility. I have a very hard time supporting her for that reason.

She's 24 and has won 30 Olympic and World Championship medals. She won four golds at the last Olympics. She's been all-around World Champion five times.

She is the gymnast with the most World medals and most World gold medals. She's the only American female gymnast to win a World medal on every event, and she's won a medal on every Olympic Games and World Championship event.

There is no way she could have accomplished all of that without being incredibly mentally tough. Which is why I tend to think she must have had some sort of breakdown right before the event. She's probably tougher than 99% of the population, but she's still human and not a robot.
She's not used to sucking, and she has been sucking lately. Even in the qualifiers. By sucking, I mean performing well below her standards.

She calls herself the GOAT, she has images of goats bedazzling her little princess shoes and on almost all of her leotards. It is pretty clear that she is very likely an extreme narcissist...and a lot of times that is a large part of what drives super successful people. My pt in bringing up the "GOAT" stuff, is that she probably added a bunch of unnecessary pressure on herself by constantly self reinforcing that she is the greatest of all time destined for gold and nothing less and everyone else is beneath her.

She never imagined a scenario in which she wouldn't knock it out of the park and perform to near perfection and she got pouty and folded like a cheap tent when she didn't "have it" that day.

I am not going to rip her apart, I am sure it was painful and emotionally stressful. Maybe panic inducing. But to act like she's some sort of "leader" or "hero" because of these actions is laughably absurd...a mental leap only the most deranged modern liberals could make.

I am also mostly convinced there is a racial angle to all of this (MUSN'T EVER CRITICIZE BLACK FEMALES IN ANY WAY LEST BE DEEMED A RACIST AND HAVE LIFE RUINED). If Tom Brady quits after throwing a few interceptions in the Super Bowl, he is universally bashed for it and everyone knows it.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
Outside chance she may have just been weirded the F out by Japan. I have heard it is a very bizarre place filled with weird robotic people.
TXTransplant
That's your perspective. Honestly, I haven't thought about it that much. I don't really attribute any personality traits to her. I only know her as a gymnast.

I certainly didn't refer to her as a hero in any of my posts, and I don't think about what she did as heroic. I think it sends a huge message to the US gymnastics organization, and I think it took a lot of suffering by a lot of people (including herself) to get to the point where she ~could~ withdraw like that.

If other people want to call her a hero, it doesn't bother me. It doesn't even surprise me. We have a weird celebrity worship culture in this country that I think is gross and terribly unhealthy. This is just part of that, if you ask me.

Edited to add: she also knew that if she underperformed, she could cost the team not just the gold, but any medal at all.

If she didn't feel confident, the other alternative version of this story is that it was better for her to withdraw and let the other girls have a chance to medal rather than wrecking the entire team's score. Remember, she has Olympic medals. The other girls do not. I think most Olympic athletes would tell you that a silver medal is better than no medal at all.

Who knows what the answer is, but her withdrawing because she didn't want to embarrass herself is only one of several plausible scenarios.
mazag08
AG
SB 43rd STREET OG said:

Outside chance she may have just been weirded the F out by Japan. I have heard it is a very bizarre place filled with weird robotic people.
Totally fine reason for quitting on your team and playing the victim.
Squadron7
AG
SB 43rd STREET OG said:

Tentacle pr0n.
ATM9000
AG
SB 43rd STREET OG said:

If Tom Brady quits after throwing a few interceptions in the Super Bowl, he is universally bashed for it and everyone knows it.

Lol no goddam way. If that happened tomorrow after all of his accomplishments and accolades and he said 'my head wasn't in it', not a damn person would say he wasn't mentally tough and start bashing him. The story would be what a legend and when you don't have it anymore, you don't have it anymore.

Biles has had as accomplished a career, relatively speaking to sport and people say she's mentally weak.
Iowaggie
AG
StandUpforAmerica said:

It's called the pussification of America.

Hammerly High Dive Crips
ATM9000 said:

SB 43rd STREET OG said:

If Tom Brady quits after throwing a few interceptions in the Super Bowl, he is universally bashed for it and everyone knows it.

Lol no goddam way. If that happened tomorrow after all of his accomplishments and accolades and he said 'my head wasn't in it', not a damn person would say he wasn't mentally tough and start bashing him. The story would be what a legend and when you don't have it anymore, you don't have it anymore.

Biles has had as accomplished a career, relatively speaking to sport and people say she's mentally weak.
I could not disagree more. If he just quits and walks off the field in the super bowl, he is universally bashed for quitting like that. Not saying people wouldn't consider him the greatest.

They would not be lauding his actions as HEROIC, BRAVE, and STRONG LEADERSDHIP.
TXTransplant
I don't understand this fascination with giving any kind of labels.

We've watched Tiger Woods have multiple meltdowns, both while playing golf and in his personal life.

Dak Prescott and Michael Phelps have both spoken publicly about their mental health issues.

Michelle Kwan was the heavy favorite at the 1998 Olympics, and she was criticized for "choking" when the judges liked cute little Tara Lipinski better.

They are athletes, not robots. No one can be 100% at the top of their game all of the time. Everyone has bad performances and failures in life. And these athletes probably beat themselves up for those failures worse than anyone else ever could. Heck, that's probably why so many of them have mental health problems.
astros4545
AG
ATM9000 said:

SB 43rd STREET OG said:

She's mentally weak

And I can bench press more than her
Hammerly High Dive Crips
TXTransplant said:

We've watched Tiger Woods have multiple meltdowns, both while playing golf and in his personal life.

Dak Prescott and Michael Phelps have both spoken publicly about their mental health issues.

Michelle Kwan was the heavy favorite at the 1998 Olympics, and she was criticized for "choking" when the judges liked cute little Tara Lipinski better.

They are athletes, not robots. No one can be 100% at the top of their game all of the time. Everyone has bad performances and failures in life. And these athletes probably beat themselves up for those failures worse than anyone else ever could. Heck, that's probably why do many of them have mental health problems.
My issue is that most of the sports world and social media is calling her a hero and a leader for her actions. I strongly disagree. I think that is absurd. I don't have an issue with you. And I concede that what she went through was probably very tough. She is the self proclaimed GOAT, and that is not supposed to happen to the self proclaimed GOAT...other lesser people of course, but not her.

Also, this is a slight tangent, but I do not see everyone with a voice unanimously praising her if she was a white gymnast. Criticizing a high profile black female could get your life ruined if you are high profile as well. Must always praise them for their actions no matter what. Many did the same with that black hammer thrower chick who bashed America and wined about them playing the national anthem when she was on the podium for 3rd place.
TXTransplant
Yeah, I'd rather see social media and other athletes praising the girls who we're finally brave enough to speak out about Nassar.

But, elite athletes live in their own little bubble. Their perspective is going to be skewed because they live in a world where their job is to perform for praise and adoration.

As far as the media/social media goes, Biles is a media darling, and that's an image she's helped to create. There are plenty of other gymnasts who don't get the same attention, some because they simply don't want it.

Social media is just one big circle jerk that either villainizes people or canonizes them. There is no in between. It's such a waste of time and effort (said by the woman who for whatever reason felt compelled to post on this thread).
TOUCHDOWN!
Imagine knowing all of the horrific **** that these girls have been subjected to by the USAG and still thinking it's appropriate to call them "mentally weak" when they decide to pull out from a competition.

And now, when people look back at 19 year old Kerri Strug and realize that maybe her 55 year old coach should have been more concerned with her health/safety rather than competing, it's somehow taken as an attack on the 19 year old.

I swear, some of you just love to argue for the sake of arguing. Unless somebody is draped in the American flag, shooting guns, shouting "All Lives Matter," and fellating Ronald Reagan, then they are anti-American and an example of everything that is wrong with America.
dmart90
AG
That's more a condemnation of Bela Karolyi than Kerri...
bam02
AG
I don't know anything about strugg as an adult but I bet she has a happier, more well-balanced life than Biles will. I hope Biles has a wonderful life but I think she's going to be a mess.
Sweep4-2
Interesting question. . They definitely had different experiences.

Strugg competed in almost complete anonymity and only won two Olympic medals her whole career (and they were team, not AA). Biles has won more medals on her own than almost all other US women combined , has been turned into a media giant and has been in the spotlight for years in a way no other gymnast ever has.

Time will tell.
Little Rock Ag
AG
Sweep4-2 said:

Interesting question. . They definitely had different experiences.

Strugg competed in almost complete anonymity and only won two Olympic medals her whole career (and they were team, not AA). Biles has been turned into a media giant and has been in the spotlight for years in a way no other gymnast ever has.

Time will tell.
I guess I'm seriously out of touch, but I had never heard of her until this brouhaha.
Sweep4-2
You haven't heard of her and I can't seem to stop hearing about her. I need your secret!! You're obviously doing something right that I'm not doing.
Noble07
AG
I think it's a legitimate discussion to question if a minor or young adult in that situation can make that decision in a vacuum without feeling pressure from their coach, their teammates, the moment in general, etc. Even the NFL has changed in that a doctor determines if a player needs to be evaluated for a concussion.

BUT, this rewriting of history on the Kerri Strug story is ridiculous. The majority of the people piling on that I see aren't even sports fans. This whole discussion really got me interested and everything I've read about her makes me think it is complete BS.

This is from an SI interview she gave a year after the '96 games:

Quote:

"This was my
time, and I said, I'm going to prove it. People have the wrong
impression, that [gymnasts] are robots and don't think. I was
upset with people blaming Bela [for my decision to vault
again]." And she is upset over a perceived double standard for
male and female athletes. "If it's a boy, it's fine, he's
tough," she says. "When it's a [female] gymnast, we're being
abused and ruining our bodies. It's the same thing--the athlete
wants it, and the coach helps you get through it."
https://vault.si.com/vault/1997/08/11/happy-landing-a-year-after-her-olympic-vault-to-fame-kerri-strug-is-in-college-learning-to-live-like-an-ordinary-kid?fbclid=IwAR1SGmRTPtnLKutKN1A6BG6pKgiSx9FVmxko-Q57qjK8yGACsnVDbjcxchg

Kerri Strug wasn't thrown out to pasture. And this wasn't a career ending injury. Her grit and determination paid off for her big time.
Tex117
AG
TOUCHDOWN! said:

Imagine knowing all of the horrific **** that these girls have been subjected to by the USAG and still thinking it's appropriate to call them "mentally weak" when they decide to pull out from a competition.

And now, when people look back at 19 year old Kerri Strug and realize that maybe her 55 year old coach should have been more concerned with her health/safety rather than competing, it's somehow taken as an attack on the 19 year old.

I swear, some of you just love to argue for the sake of arguing. Unless somebody is draped in the American flag, shooting guns, shouting "All Lives Matter," and fellating Ronald Reagan, then they are anti-American and an example of everything that is wrong with America.
Oh please. It just doesn't fit your narrative and then you come in here saying that "some of you just love to argue."

There is some horrific sheet, and that needs to be addressed. No question about that. I don't "blame" her for cracking under the pressure (and that pressure that came with some of that abuse)...it should just not be held up as some example of something heroic. Its simply tragic and should be addressed as a problem. Not something of virtue.

With respect to Kerri, all of that is a red-herring argument...Say what you want...Malibu, TxTransplant, etc. but revisiting her absolute heroic moment, but then clouding that with the abuse is really trying to discredit her achievement. That it was somehow, not her call. (or that it was foolish). But that argument is not being made in a vacuum. Its being made in light of what Biles did.

It absolutely is an attack on her and I'm sorry you don't see that. Anyone who says otherwise is being daft. Its inferring that Kerri would have backed out (like Biles did) but for abuse. (Even Kerri didn't say that...just look at the interview above).

What happened to Biles is tragic, but heavy is the weight of the crown...and she cracked. Now, it should be up to coaches and academic institutions to help out U.S. athletes deal with this kind of pressure in a better way.
Sweep4-2
The majority of people commenting on Strug recently have probably never seen any more comp footage of her than that one vault. And they probably didn't see it until the last couple days.

Women's gymnastics is a brutally tough sport. A bunch of kids at the mercy of their coaches and USA Gymnastics who often don't treat the girls as anything more than disposable resources.

I was a competitive gymnast and saw this even at ridiculously low levels of competition.
TXTransplant
The only thing that could possibly "discredit" Strug's accomplishments (or any other gymnast of the last 25 years) is the gross negligence and abuse that these girls suffered under the watch of the Karolyis and US gymnastics.

Had those people had any moral compass at all, Nassar would have never been able to abuse those girls and we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Because, like it it not, when anyone goes back and watches that interaction between Strug and Karolyi at the 1996 Olympics (like the author of that article did), all they are going to think is what a creep Karolyi is.

But Karolyi being a creep doesn't diminish Strug's accomplishments, and calling him out for bring a creep is not an attack on her. The attack is on Karolyi's character and his legacy. Whether or not that had any direct impact on Strug's decision to do another vault at the 1996 Olympics is largely irrelevant to the bigger discussion.

And you sure do know how to deflect. You're calling us out for turning her into a "victim" just for internet attention, but that's exactly what you are doing by insisting she's being attacked by that article.

I'm sorry you can't see that. But your opinion/viewpoint on this subject is not an indisputable fact that all the rest of us just have to accept.

Also, just because Strug doesn't believe Karolyi's behavior was abuse does not make his behavior appropriate. Children often do not recognize abusive behaviors. Heck, all of the gymnasts who were abused by Nassar initially thought what he was doing was legit medical treatment because they were told that over and over again by the coaches that they trusted.

And I wouldn't expect all adults to say his behavior was inappropriate, either, because the story had a happy ending.
TXTransplant
Sweep4-2 said:

The majority of people commenting on Strug recently have probably never seen any more comp footage of her than that one vault. And they probably didn't see it until the last couple days.

Women's gymnastics is a brutally tough sport. A bunch of kids at the mercy of their coaches and USA Gymnastics who often don't treat the girls as anything more than disposable resources.

I was a competitive gymnast and saw this even at ridiculously low levels of competition.

This is what's really being questioned. Not just a single incident, but a culture that was so brutal it allowed dozens of girls to be abused for the "greater good" of protecting the reputation of a bunch of adults and winning gold medals.

Maybe that culture wasn't pervasive in 1996, but it didn't take long for it to to take hold.
Tex117
AG
TXTransplant said:

The only thing that could possibly "discredit" Strug's accomplishments (or any other gymnast of the last 25 years) is the gross negligence and abuse that these girls suffered under the watch of the Karolyis and US gymnastics.

Had those people had any moral compass at all, Nassar would have never been able to abuse those girls and we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Because, like it it not, when anyone goes back and watches that interaction between Strug and Karolyi at the 1996 Olympics (like the author of that article did), all they are going to think is what a creep Karolyi is.

But Karolyi being a creep doesn't diminish Strug's accomplishments, and calling him out for bring a creep is not an attack on her. The attack is on Karolyi's character and his legacy. Whether or not that had any direct impact on Strug's decision to do another vault at the 1996 Olympics is largely irrelevant to the bigger discussion.

And you sure do know how to deflect. You're calling us out for turning her into a "victim" just for internet attention, but that's exactly what you are doing by insisting she's being attacked by that article.

I'm sorry you can't see that. But your opinion/viewpoint on this subject is not an indisputable fact that all the rest of us just have to accept.

Also, just because Strug doesn't believe Karolyi's behavior was abuse does not make his behavior appropriate. Children often do not recognize abusive behaviors. Heck, all of the gymnasts who were abused by Nassar initially thought what he was doing was legit medical treatment because they were told that over and over again my the coaches that they trusted.

And I wouldn't expect all adults to say his behavior was inappropriate, either, because the story had a happy ending.
Even that doesn't discredit what she accomplished.

You are just word salading. Yes, my viewpoint is right on this issue and yours is wrong. People are wrong all the time, this time, you are wrong.

We are in 100% agreement that that there have been abuses in U.S. Gymnastics. Ones that should not be swept under the rug or ignored....But you aren't being honest with yourself. You are bringing this up as a back door of defending what Biles did while discrediting what Strug did. You say you aren't, but you are.

At least Malibu had enough sense to somewhat modify his position to be inline with what he suggested. You, on the other hand, are conflating two different issues on purpose to create a defense of what Biles did.

Again, I do not blame Biles as all. She was in a damn near impossible position from lots of different pressures. Its just not something to celebrate or hold up as virtuous. It is something to be addressed.
TXTransplant
Your reading comprehension is terrible. I have no where defended what Biles did as being ok or justified by the abuses of the past. I have also not discredited Strug's accomplishment. You are the one who insists on interpreting it that way. There is absolutely nothing that can take that away from her.

I didn't "bring this up". I responded to an ongoing discussion about how Kerri Strug was "attacked". She was not attacked. What's quoted in the OP is a much deserved attack on Karolyi and US gymnastics.

In fact, I've clearly stated that the reasons why Biles did what she did are irrelevant. It's her body. She's the one risking serious injury to hurl herself in the air in an attempt to win a gold medal to hang around her neck. I have not celebrated her decision or criticized it. The decision was neither virtuous nor cowardly. It was simply hers to make in what SHE felt was in her best interest.

She doesn't owe an explanation to anyone - not her coaches, not her parents, and certainly not anonymous keyboard warriors who criticize her on the internet. I would say her teammates deserve an explanation but she doesn't even OWE them one because they had alternates.

Her decision marks a turning point in this sport because SHE is the one making the decision, and the decision was hers to make. She's not being bullied, coerced, manipulated, or threatened with retribution. It's her decision and (some) people are respecting it. She's not being punished for making the decision that was best for HER health (whether it was mental or physical health is also irrelevant).

THAT is a first, at least in this sport. And that's the point that YOU are missing.

I won't say you're wrong because you are entitled to your opinion, as am I. And that's all your conclusions are - opinions. They are not facts or absolute truths.

But, regardless of whether or not I (or anyone else) agrees with Biles' decision is not the point any of us who disagree with you are trying to make. The point is that she was even ABLE to make the decision for herself. That's the way it always ~should~ have been, but we know that it wasn't.

The gymnasts on at least the last 4 Olympic teams were so scared of being dismissed from the team and having their Olympic dreams squashed that they couldn't even speak up and ask for a perverted pedophile to stop sexually abusing them. And not only that, they were lied to by trusted adults and told that the "treatment" was perfectly normal and medically necessary.

They were expected to just "suck it up" for the greater good. Well, not anymore, and that's exactly what this is about. They are taking back control of their bodies and lives.

backintexas2013
AG
TOUCHDOWN! said:

Get help. Get lots of help.
A New Hope
Ag with kids said:

Squadron7 said:

This guy's (Byron Heath) hot take is all the rage on Facebook right now. Support Biles if you want...but don't tear down Kerri Strug to do it, you wanker.

Quote:

This realization I had about Simone Biles is gonna make some people mad, but oh well.
Yesterday I was excited to show my daughters Kerri Strug's famous one-leg vault. It was a defining Olympic moment that I watched live as a kid, and my girls watched raptly as Strug fell, and then limped back to leap again.

But for some reason I wasn't as inspired watching it this time. In fact, I felt a little sick. Maybe being a father and teacher has made me soft, but all I could see was how Kerri Strug looked at her coach, Bela Karolyi, with pleading, terrified eyes, while he shouted back "You can do it!" over and over again.

My daughters didn't cheer when Strug landed her second vault. Instead they frowned in concern as she collapsed in agony and frantic tears.
"Why did she jump again if she was hurt?" one of my girls asked. I made some inane reply about the heart of a champion or Olympic spirit, but in the back of my mind a thought was festering:
*She shouldn't have jumped again*

The more the thought echoed, the stronger my realization became. Coach Karolyi should have gotten his visibly injured athlete medical help immediately! Now that I have two young daughters in gymnastics, I expect their safety to be the coach's number one priority. Instead, Bela Karolyi told Strug to vault again. And he got what he wanted; a gold medal that was more important to him than his athlete's health.

I'm sure people will say "Kerri Strug was a competitor--she WANTED to push through the injury." That's probably true. But since the last Olympics we've also learned these athletes were put into positions where they could be systematically abused both emotionally and physically, all while being inundated with "win at all costs" messaging. A teenager under those conditions should have been protected, and told "No medal is worth the risk of permanent injury." In fact, we now know that Strug's vault wasn't even necessary to clinch the gold; the U.S. already had an insurmountable lead. Nevertheless, Bela Karolyi told her to vault again according to his own recounting of their conversation:

"I can't feel my leg," Strug told Karolyi.

"We got to go one more time," Karolyi said. "Shake it out."

"Do I have to do this again?" Strug asked.

"Can you, can you?" Karolyi wanted to know.

"I don't know yet," said Strug. "I will do it. I will, I will."

The injury forced Strug's retirement at 18 years old. Dominique Moceanu, a generational talent, also retired from injuries shortly after. They were top gymnasts literally pushed to the breaking point, and then put out to pasture. Coach Karolyi and Larry Nassar (the serial sexual abuser) continued their long careers, while the athletes were treated as a disposable resource.
Today Simone Biles--the greatest gymnast of all time--chose to step back from the competition, citing concerns for mental and physical health. I've already seen comments and posts about how Biles "failed her country", "quit on us", or "can't be the greatest if she can't handle the pressure." Those statements are no different than Coach Karolyi telling an injured teen with wide, frightened eyes: "We got to go one more time. Shake it out."

The subtext here is: "Our gold medal is more important than your well-being."
Our athletes shouldn't have to destroy themselves to meet our standards. If giving empathetic, authentic support to our Olympians means we'll earn less gold medals, I'm happy to make that trade.

Here's the message I hope we can send to Simone Biles: You are an outstanding athlete, a true role model, and a powerful woman. Nothing will change that. Please don't sacrifice your emotional or physical well-being for our entertainment or national pride. We are proud of you for being brave enough to compete, and proud of you for having the wisdom to know when to step back. Your choice makes you an even better example to our daughters than you were before. WE'RE STILL ROOTING FOR YOU!

Rooting for her to do what?

We already know she'll quit if things get tough. So, do we root for her to win? Or to quit?

I has the confuse...

Simone quit because she knew she was going to lose. She's a great competitor when she knows she's winning but obviously a terrible loser. If she wants the best for the team, she'd bowed out a month ago. Give the alternate a decent chance.
flashplayer
AG
This is all I can think of when Strug is brought up.

TXTransplant
This makes no sense. Simone couldn't individually "lose" the TEAM competition, which is what she withdrew from first. However, if she performed poorly, she could have cost the ENTIRE team a medal. By withdrawing, she gave the rest of team, including the alternate, a better chance to medal, which they did.

If you don't think the alternate trains just as hard as the other girls, you are misguided. All of them are equally as prepared to compete, precisely for situations such as this. The alternate had no competitive disadvantage because Simone withdrew at the last minute.

Withdrawing from the all-around was an individual decision. Maybe she didn't want to "lose" that, but her withdrawing opened the door for another US gymnast to win the GOLD medal, which she did. Arguably, if Simone was in top form, she would have walked away with the gold. Withdrawing from the all-around had absolutely no negative effects on her teammates.

With the exception of a hypothetical scenario where the team ~might~ have won gold instead of silver had Simone competed, she didn't cause the team to "lose" anything. The only one who lost is Simone because she didn't get any medals. But if she was truly not fit to compete, then the team was better off without her. Since they did get a silver medal.

Also, if anyone actually cares, here is the story behind her withdrawal. And it's backed up by other gymnasts who say it's a very real and very dangerous phenomenon.

"When Simone Biles attempted her first skill of the gymnastics team event at the Tokyo Olympics, a 2 twisting vault, she quickly knew something was off.

Biles, 24, later explained to reporters that she "had no idea where I was in the air," and that she was "having a little bit of the twisties."

That term is familiar to gymnasts, who know it as a phenomenon where they lose their understanding of where they are in the air, putting them at risk of injury when they land. Biles made that clear in her post-competition comments, saying, "I could have hurt myself."

Carly Patterson, all-around gold medalist at the 2004 Athens Olympics, said during a Twitter Space hosted by PEOPLE on Thursday that she knew "exactly" what Biles was talking about.

"You basically start losing that air awareness," Patterson said. "It is very, very scary, especially when you're doing the difficult kind of skills that Simone is doing. [You] have no clue when you're going to hit the ground and how you're going to hit the ground."

Six-time All-American Katelyn Ohashi, who went viral for her floor routine as a gymnast for UCLA at the 2019 NCAA Championships, agreed, adding that the twisties are "not something to play with."

"She can't just go into a soft surface," Ohashi said, referencing how Biles could have landed off the mats. "When you have that doubt going into your head, anything can happen in that moment."

Biles has talked about struggling with the twisties before. In June, ahead of the Olympics, she said in an interview with Glamour that one of the toughest skills for her to learn has been a double-double flip on the floor, because she "would just get lost in the air."

"It took me a long time for my air awareness on that skill," she explained.

While Biles' decision to withdraw from the two events came as a shock, Patterson points out that you can't plan for the twisties: they just happen.

"Unfortunately it happened at the Olympic Games, it didn't happen three months ago when she could fix it, work those kinks out, work that mental block out," she says. "You can't do that in 24 hours, when you're at the Olympic Games, and rework your brain through that to really overcome it in such a short time."

The bronze medalist in the all-around, Russia's Angelina Melnikova, told reporters after the event that she's experienced the twisties too.

"I had similar problems when I was a kid and its really, really hard to get rid of this problem," she says. "It's very confusing and hard."

mazag08
AG
TXTransplant said:

They are athletes, not robots. No one can be 100% at the top of their game all of the time. Everyone has bad performances and failures in life. And these athletes probably beat themselves up for those failures worse than anyone else ever could. Heck, that's probably why so many of them have mental health problems.

Mental health is a huge convenient excuse. We don't have growing mental health issues in this country. We have a growing number of wusses who have spent their entire life being told that it's ok to quit by their liberal heroes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.