The tearing down of Kerri Strug

12,497 Views | 155 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aggie Joe 93
Squadron7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This guy's (Byron Heath) hot take is all the rage on Facebook right now. Support Biles if you want...but don't tear down Kerri Strug to do it, you wanker.

Quote:

This realization I had about Simone Biles is gonna make some people mad, but oh well.
Yesterday I was excited to show my daughters Kerri Strug's famous one-leg vault. It was a defining Olympic moment that I watched live as a kid, and my girls watched raptly as Strug fell, and then limped back to leap again.

But for some reason I wasn't as inspired watching it this time. In fact, I felt a little sick. Maybe being a father and teacher has made me soft, but all I could see was how Kerri Strug looked at her coach, Bela Karolyi, with pleading, terrified eyes, while he shouted back "You can do it!" over and over again.

My daughters didn't cheer when Strug landed her second vault. Instead they frowned in concern as she collapsed in agony and frantic tears.
"Why did she jump again if she was hurt?" one of my girls asked. I made some inane reply about the heart of a champion or Olympic spirit, but in the back of my mind a thought was festering:
*She shouldn't have jumped again*

The more the thought echoed, the stronger my realization became. Coach Karolyi should have gotten his visibly injured athlete medical help immediately! Now that I have two young daughters in gymnastics, I expect their safety to be the coach's number one priority. Instead, Bela Karolyi told Strug to vault again. And he got what he wanted; a gold medal that was more important to him than his athlete's health.

I'm sure people will say "Kerri Strug was a competitor--she WANTED to push through the injury." That's probably true. But since the last Olympics we've also learned these athletes were put into positions where they could be systematically abused both emotionally and physically, all while being inundated with "win at all costs" messaging. A teenager under those conditions should have been protected, and told "No medal is worth the risk of permanent injury." In fact, we now know that Strug's vault wasn't even necessary to clinch the gold; the U.S. already had an insurmountable lead. Nevertheless, Bela Karolyi told her to vault again according to his own recounting of their conversation:

"I can't feel my leg," Strug told Karolyi.

"We got to go one more time," Karolyi said. "Shake it out."

"Do I have to do this again?" Strug asked.

"Can you, can you?" Karolyi wanted to know.

"I don't know yet," said Strug. "I will do it. I will, I will."

The injury forced Strug's retirement at 18 years old. Dominique Moceanu, a generational talent, also retired from injuries shortly after. They were top gymnasts literally pushed to the breaking point, and then put out to pasture. Coach Karolyi and Larry Nassar (the serial sexual abuser) continued their long careers, while the athletes were treated as a disposable resource.
Today Simone Biles--the greatest gymnast of all time--chose to step back from the competition, citing concerns for mental and physical health. I've already seen comments and posts about how Biles "failed her country", "quit on us", or "can't be the greatest if she can't handle the pressure." Those statements are no different than Coach Karolyi telling an injured teen with wide, frightened eyes: "We got to go one more time. Shake it out."

The subtext here is: "Our gold medal is more important than your well-being."
Our athletes shouldn't have to destroy themselves to meet our standards. If giving empathetic, authentic support to our Olympians means we'll earn less gold medals, I'm happy to make that trade.

Here's the message I hope we can send to Simone Biles: You are an outstanding athlete, a true role model, and a powerful woman. Nothing will change that. Please don't sacrifice your emotional or physical well-being for our entertainment or national pride. We are proud of you for being brave enough to compete, and proud of you for having the wisdom to know when to step back. Your choice makes you an even better example to our daughters than you were before. WE'RE STILL ROOTING FOR YOU!
StandUpforAmerica
It's called the pussification of America.
Ag with kids
AG
Squadron7 said:

This guy's (Byron Heath) hot take is all the rage on Facebook right now. Support Biles if you want...but don't tear down Kerri Strug to do it, you wanker.

Quote:

This realization I had about Simone Biles is gonna make some people mad, but oh well.
Yesterday I was excited to show my daughters Kerri Strug's famous one-leg vault. It was a defining Olympic moment that I watched live as a kid, and my girls watched raptly as Strug fell, and then limped back to leap again.

But for some reason I wasn't as inspired watching it this time. In fact, I felt a little sick. Maybe being a father and teacher has made me soft, but all I could see was how Kerri Strug looked at her coach, Bela Karolyi, with pleading, terrified eyes, while he shouted back "You can do it!" over and over again.

My daughters didn't cheer when Strug landed her second vault. Instead they frowned in concern as she collapsed in agony and frantic tears.
"Why did she jump again if she was hurt?" one of my girls asked. I made some inane reply about the heart of a champion or Olympic spirit, but in the back of my mind a thought was festering:

The more the thought echoed, the stronger my realization became. Coach Karolyi should have gotten his visibly injured athlete medical help immediately! Now that I have two young daughters in gymnastics, I expect their safety to be the coach's number one priority. Instead, Bela Karolyi told Strug to vault again. And he got what he wanted; a gold medal that was more important to him than his athlete's health.

I'm sure people will say "Kerri Strug was a competitor--she WANTED to push through the injury." That's probably true. But since the last Olympics we've also learned these athletes were put into positions where they could be systematically abused both emotionally and physically, all while being inundated with "win at all costs" messaging. A teenager under those conditions should have been protected, and told "No medal is worth the risk of permanent injury." In fact, we now know that Strug's vault wasn't even necessary to clinch the gold; the U.S. already had an insurmountable lead. Nevertheless, Bela Karolyi told her to vault again according to his own recounting of their conversation:

The injury forced Strug's retirement at 18 years old. Dominique Moceanu, a generational talent, also retired from injuries shortly after. They were top gymnasts literally pushed to the breaking point, and then put out to pasture. Coach Karolyi and Larry Nassar (the serial sexual abuser) continued their long careers, while the athletes were treated as a disposable resource.
Today Simone Biles--the greatest gymnast of all time--chose to step back from the competition, citing concerns for mental and physical health. I've already seen comments and posts about how Biles "failed her country", "quit on us", or "can't be the greatest if she can't handle the pressure." Those statements are no different than Coach Karolyi telling an injured teen with wide, frightened eyes: "We got to go one more time. Shake it out."

Our athletes shouldn't have to destroy themselves to meet our standards. If giving empathetic, authentic support to our Olympians means we'll earn less gold medals, I'm happy to make that trade.

Here's the message I hope we can send to Simone Biles: You are an outstanding athlete, a true role model, and a powerful woman. Nothing will change that. Please don't sacrifice your emotional or physical well-being for our entertainment or national pride. We are proud of you for being brave enough to compete, and proud of you for having the wisdom to know when to step back. Your choice makes you an even better example to our daughters than you were before. WE'RE STILL ROOTING FOR YOU!

Rooting for her to do what?

We already know she'll quit if things get tough. So, do we root for her to win? Or to quit?

I has the confuse...
FJB
AG
America used to lead by persevering and overcoming obstacles. Now it is "leadership" to cave to pressure. We have gone soft and this is celebrated, especially if it aligns with valued optics.
Boozer92
AG
Leadership in today's world: If the going gets tough just give up.
DrEvazanPhD
Once we were celebrated for being mentally tough. Now we're celebrating a quitter.

While china and russia laugh at us
Yesterday
AG
StandUpforAmerica said:

Vulgar, but its true. Strong men make good times. Good times make weak men. Weak men make bad times. Guess which part we're in??

Think about this, if China and Russia teamed up and started to attack the USA do you think we have strong willed individuals willing to die, or even worse sacrifice their children to defend our nation? It's crazy that just 10 years ago, even when Obama was president I didn't have any doubt. Now I most certainly do.
Joe Boudain
In today's society pain, or anguish or despair or anything that comes about as a normal occurrence during life which has ups and downs is the worst thing ever and needs to be avoided.

People take advil for headaches, people take anti depressants for being sad.
Aggie521
AG
So much for the old saying "When the going gets tough, the tough get going."
titan
S
Yesterday said:

StandUpforAmerica said:

Vulgar, but its true. Strong men make good times. Good times make weak men. Weak men make bad times. Guess which part we're in??

Think about this, if China and Russia teamed up and started to attack the USA do you think we have strong willed individuals willing to die, or even worse sacrifice their children to defend our nation? It's crazy that just 10 years ago, even when Obama was president I didn't have any doubt. Now I most certainly do.
Poll posted on the board last year showed most Europeans would not. We are probably headed that way. And frankly, where Russia is concerned, it would be out of line. People too similar in nature now --- a real tragic waste and the leaders of one not better than the other.
FrioAg 00:
Leftist Democrats "have completely overplayed the Racism accusation. Honestly my first reaction when I hear it today is to assume bad intentions by the accuser, not the accused."
heineman78
Such sad times. I remember when people would sacrifice everything and did for national pride.
GAC06
AG
"Forced her retirement at 18"

Doesn't virtually every female Olympic gymnast retire around then?
Horn_in_Aggieland
I can't wait until the Simone Biles movie comes out.

It will be just as inspiring as Rocky, Rudy, Miracle, Remember the Titans, and all those other movies where the hero quits.
Spotted Ag
AG
Aggie521 said:

So much for the old saying "When the going gets tough, the tough get going take a mental health break."
FIFY
Covidians, Communists, CNN, FOX, and all other MSM are enemies of the state and should be treated as such.
chase128
AG
Reading this made me think of JFK's speech about us going to the Moon. We are doing it not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

Feats aren't celebrated because they are easy to accomplish, they are celebrated because very few can accomplish them.

How many people will win a medal in the Olympics? Your name goes down in history if you get one. If you're going to commit to pursuing that, isn't it more than just for entertainment value? Isn't it about glory, fame, honor?

Strug was lauded as a hero because she fought through pain and accomplished something very few people in the history of the world will ever do.

Some things are worth hurting for. I think Strug's story has some valuable lessons to teach to young kids. And maybe Biles just doesn't value a medal in the Olympics since she has so much already.
Squadron7
AG
GAC06 said:

She was 18 and it was her second Olympics.

Yeah, she was done.
Spotted Ag
AG
People will remember Strugg for competing and putting the team over herself.
Covidians, Communists, CNN, FOX, and all other MSM are enemies of the state and should be treated as such.
Tanya 93
Ag with kids said:

Squadron7 said:

Quote:

We already know she'll quit if things get tough. So, do we root for her to win? Or to quit?

I has the confuse...
I think competing while passing a kidney stone is pretty tough
Tex117
AG
Its absolutely gross what they are doing. Pathetic losers tearing down heroes.

They are taking away a moment from Strug who showed unbridled determination, courage, and toughness to not only win the gold, but to transcend something greater than sports. To inspire all of us to push beyond what we believe capable.

The fact that they are attacking shows that this type of mentality is a threat to them.

Say what you want about Biles (who is undisputedly one of the greatest gymnasts of all time). The mental game is important in sports and the U.S. Olympic Committee and U.S. Gymnastics needs to do more to help prepare the athletes for such pressure....But that is wholly apart from the accomplishment of Strug.

In the end, Biles cracked... Other athletes have not under similar pressure. That is all there is to it. Its not something to be celebrated. Its an issue that needs to be addressed structurally.
Spore Ag
The question is to ask her now would she do it all over again.
Interesting to see Biles reflection later on as well.
wbt5845
AG
Quote:

Maybe being a father and teacher has made me soft....

It has.
Bonfire1996
AG
"Pushed out to pasture" is his way of slighting the long term effects of Strug's injury.

She retired, yes. She retired a national hero with enough endorsement money to never have to work a regular job a day in her life
fightingfarmer09
Quote:

Maybe being a father and teacher has made me soft

Yes. Apparently it has.

ETA: glad I'm not the only one that saw that.
Wabs
AG
Pretty simple here. If you don't support her - you're clearly a racist. And God forbid you criticize her or call her a quitter. Even though that's exactly what she did.
chase128
AG
See, that's what I don't get about all this. She's competed through some intense physical pain in the past. She's handled some high pressure situations and performed great.

I really want to know what was so different this time. I've heard people comment about how much pressure was put on her and that somehow wasn't, but I feel like she was asking for it (the goat stitched on her uniform).
Horn_in_Aggieland
Tanya 93 said:

Ag with kids said:

Squadron7 said:

Quote:

I has the confuse...
I think competing while passing a kidney stone is pretty tough

Not as tough as being all in your feelings.
Year of the Germaphobe
AG
The things past generations have fought to obtain, brought about the comforts & affluence which have allowed evil to fester.

Without Struggle, Achievement, and Purpose society loses its' identity.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Sometimes people have to do hard things they don't want to.

The world is a significantly better place because Rudder and his men climbed that ****ing cliff rather than whining.

" If you can get through doing things that you hate to do, on the other side is greatness."
-David Goggins
Old Army Ghost

Real American Olympian
Rockdoc
AG
SexyAg said:

America used to lead by persevering and overcoming obstacles. Now it is "leadership" to cave to pressure. We have gone soft and this is celebrated, especially if it aligns with valued optics.

Ask the communist country athletes of 20 or 30 years ago what would happen to them (and probably their families) if they got scared and bailed from the olympics.
ABATTBQ87
AG
There was a time when Americans loved a winner

Ag with kids
AG
Bonfire1996 said:

"Pushed out to pasture" is his way of slighting the long term effects of Strug's injury.

She retired, yes. She retired a national hero with enough endorsement money to never have to work a regular job a day in her life
She also went professional with the Ice Capades and Disney on Ice - which shows that her injury wasn't a permanent one.

She retired so she could make big bucks, not because of injury. People are too quick to apply post hoc, ergo propter hoc to everything...
TXTransplant
I've been following this story and these threads, and I think everyone is misinterpreting that guy's take on the events.

It's not a "tearing-down" of Kerri Strug. She is unarguably the "hero" of the situation. I remember watching it live, and it was one of those moments that just gives you chills and brings tears to your eyes.

It's pointing out the intimidation by a much older adult/authority figure of an 18 year old girl. And while 18 might ~technically~ be an adult, she was being intimidated by a coach who had pretty much controlled her entire life during her teenaged years. Who knows what all went on behind the scenes between those girls and the coaches in the years leading up to that one moment we saw on tv. We probably don't want to know.

I'm all for a great perseverance story. But gymnastics is not track and field or swimming. If you lose your focus in a sprint, you just lose to someone who is faster.

A split second loss of focus or a fraction of a misstep in gymnastics could mean paralysis or death. Runners and swimmer simply don't face that risk.

Several of the gymnasts who were coached under the Karolyis have come out and said the environment was physically and emotionally abusive - not including the sexual abuse many of them endured by the team doctor.

Dominique Moceanu has been particularly outspoken about how her body wasn't hers and she was pressured to compete when she was injured.

Kerri Strug herself has come out in support of Biles. You've got to recognize that this is about these girls now being able to assert themselves and make decisions for themselves and their bodies without fear of retribution.

Being an elite athlete is not easy and requires a lot of sacrifice. But no one should have to endure abuse of any kind to win a gold medal. And I think that's exactly what these women are saying.

They are making their own decisions, rather than trying to make their coaches, parents, or the American public happy. Because in a few weeks or months, no one is going to care that Simone Biles pulled out of the competition. She is the only one who has to come to terms with that decision. And if she honestly felt the risk (which realistically included death or paralysis) wasn't worth the reward, she should be free to make that choice for herself without having to answer to anyone.

I think this sport (and probably quite a few others) has a very dark underside that includes child abuse, given how young these kids are when they start elite training. That needs to change, and the only way that it will change will be for these girls and women to have and be supported in their autonomy.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
GAC06 said:

Unless you are a badass like Nadia Comneci, now a US citizen

Quote:

Nadia Elena Comneci Conner (born November 12, 1961), known professionally as Nadia Comneci, is a Romanian retired gymnast and a five-time Olympic gold medalist, all in individual events. In 1976 at the age of 14, Comneci was the first gymnast to be awarded a perfect score of 10.0 at the Olympic Games.[5] At the same Games (1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal), she received six more perfect 10s for events en route to winning three gold medals. At the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow, Comneci won two more gold medals and attained two more perfect 10s. During her career, Comneci won nine Olympic medals and four World Artistic Gymnastics Championship medals.

Comneci is one of the world's best-known gymnasts and is credited with popularizing the sport around the globe.[6] In 2000, she was named as one of the Athletes of the 20th Century by the Laureus World Sports Academy.[7]

She has lived in the United States since 1989, when she defected from then-Communist Romania before its revolution in December that year. She later worked with and married American Olympic gold medal gymnast Bart Conner, who set up his own school. In 2001 she became a naturalized United States citizen, and has dual citizenship, also maintaining her Romanian citizenship.
BTW, the Kerri Strug 1-footed landing was totally freaking amazing!

AgLiving06
We all know that we would not be praising Brady or Lebron if they had quit on their teams. In fact, we all commented on how what a bad teammate Lebron was when he started walking to the locker room before the end of the game.

But what we really see here is that, for the left, failure of women or minorities, is not just acceptable, it's expected.

I don't think it's fundamentally different to see the response to Biles or the tennis player vs saying black people can't get a form of ID or shouldn't be responsible for the crimes they commit.

For the left, failure is just something we should expect from these "lesser groups."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.