Has the new border wall been a good investment so far?

4,279 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by RGV AG
Cassius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BTKAG97 said:

A protective barrier is only as good as the people who watch it. Currently, we have an administration that has no desire to keep an eye on it.

This is a very good point. Had Trump completed securing the entire border with a wall, it would not have mattered. Xiden and the Marxists have a plan to transform the country and open borders is a key component.
captkirk
AG
74OA said:

etxag02 said:

It's wasteful. The extra security would not be needed if the underlying problem was addressed.
"Fixing" Mexico and Central America would take trillions and a half century--if ever. Without border enforcement, in that time most would have already moved here.
This
damiond
Yep. Rs screwed the pooch by not passing immigration reform and making tough law when they controlled the house and senate. F'n GOPe sux.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Very, very few women, children, and older immigrants are climbing that ladder and sliding down like that.

As 740 already stated, walls aren't meant to completely stop every person, but they do deter, make it more difficult, and slow people down.
RGV AG
AG
Quote:

"Fixing" Mexico and Central America would take trillions and a half century--if ever. Without border enforcement, in that time most would have already moved here
The wall is a pork barrel, land grabbing boon doggle that can only function if it is monitored and those that are caught crossing it are penalized. Not like what his happening now.

Now, what really worked and had a truly noticeable effect was Trump threatening, what the Mexicans believed to be very real and credible, to levy import duties on all Mexican exports if the rate of illegal crossings, both Mexican and OTM, was not reduced. This forced Mexican enforcement of both tightening up their southern border and also them stopping illegal exits on their Northern border. This was on their dime and via their efforts.

Within days of this threat Mexican Immigration vans and National Guard transports were running up and down the border highways raiding "safe and flop houses" and word was put out to the crime groups that things were to stop. Not all stopped, but a good chunk did. This freed up agents on the US side and reduced the overwhelming numbers that had been crossing. Trump lost the election and this stopped.

What has to be changed is the Mexican form of government (as well as Central America, but mostly Mexico), and the US could force those changes over time via an economic sword of Damocles with nothing more than changes in import regulations and enforcement. The rub in that deal is that it will affect the US as well, for a period of time, but so does spending billions of dollars on a BS wall all while taking private land as well as letting hundreds of thousands of illegals in.

The years of letting Mexico "slide" is a big portion of the root cause of this mess. But make no mistake about it, lots of US interests have profited greatly in and due to Mexico so the status quo is very accepted.

APHIS AG
My Name Is Judge said:

The border wall could've been a great investment...

But we allowed an establishment dementia puppet to steal an election & implement an open border policy
This. For the wall to work, we have to have Border Patrol monitoring it.

Unfortunately, they are now to busy picking up processing illegals that are now swarming the border by the hundreds of thousands.

In April alone, 178,000 illegals were "processed".

www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-announces-april-2021-operational-update

This is Biden's "America".
cevans_40
AG
Entitlement reform (or elimination) along with a physical barrier would be best
padreislandagfan
A few live rounds their direction would damn sure slow the invaders.
Until society labels them as what they are , illegal invaders of our sovereign nation, nothing will be done to stop them.
Sarge 77
How about we bring our troops home from the Middle East and set them up on the border...and stop anyone trying to get in illegally.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
etxag02 said:

20 million a mile and defeated by $100 saw

A ladder is less expensive

I don't trust a single thing an MSNBC hack has to say on anything. HTH.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Just shoot the coyotes and hang them on the fence as a warning

Womackster
AG
Anyone timed 1000 people climbing up and down a 50 ft ladder? One 3 year old? Utter nonsense. I wonder if some of you actually believe the drivel you pedal or if it's all about pimping your narrative no matter how inane. Logic be damned.
sleepybeagle
AG
Yes. Walls work. Period.

I'll bet you have some in your back yard.
Ag87H2O
AG
etxag02 said:

20 million a mile and defeated by $100 saw

Notice that this pic appears to be a sample of the fence, where those trying to cut it could get to both sides of the sample. It also appears from the slag on the edge of the steel that at least part of the cut is with a torch.

Try doing that on a real section of fence and see how long it takes. It will be multiple hours not minutes. Plenty of time for authorities to arrive on scene and put a stop to it.

agwrestler
AG
I can put all the traps/chemical sprays/yard barrier around my house, but if the sugar/honey/candy isn't cleaned up I still have an ant problem.
BQ04
AG
Time to consider a wall on the Red River Border as well. The enemy from within is moving here in droves; rapidly diluting votes and culture.
cmag
Border walls work just like masks do - Some **** will get through but most doesn't. It's silly how both sides argue against basic logic based on their preconceived notions.
Womackster
AG
cmag said:

Border walls work just like masks do - Some **** will get through but most doesn't. It's silly how both sides argue against basic logic based on their preconceived notions.

Like masks? So there's 15 meters distance between each bollard?
Allen76
AG
In general, the Border Patrol is not allowed to speak directly to the media, but here is an article showing their opinions.

https://cis.org/Bensman/Border-Patrol-Agents-Only-True-Experts-Lament-Wall-Construction-Halt
StonewallAggieDEFENSE
Like a water bucket with a hole near the bottom.
....flex seal guy for homeland security!
Maroon Dawn
AG
Dear Leftists,

The Wall has been a great investment!

But you know what is ALSO a great investment? A border and immigration policy that actively discouraged people from even trying to get around The Wall in the first place instead of an open border policy that makes it very worth it to try.
BigRobSA
Horrible, very liberal big govt program that is easily circumvented (like I predicted) by the next lib moron in office.

Enact harder to change actual policies as well as enforce current laws, like Trump did. That actually works very well.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Credit where credit is due... lol. it took some large testiculars to climb up that wall and slide down it with zero harness. I'd never try that in a million years.

and a swinging ladder that may or not be secured well enough on the other side. eek. balls right there!
JamesPShelley
etxag02 said:

It's wasteful. The extra security would not be needed if the underlying problem was addressed.
What do you believe the "underlying problem" to be? I'm serious.

I know the answer.

PhatMack19
AG

Stupid@17
AG
Should definitely be drone strike or strafing when parties are sawing through the wall.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Straw man arguments are just that. As said earlier any barrier can be overcome given time and resources.

You know what stops this? Implementing the policies Trump had and stop giving handouts to immigrants (illegal or legal)
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
chaca5151
I think they should electrify the **** out of it just like Jurassic Park
Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I have an amazing beautiful soul. Another might tell you I’m a cold-hearted a$$^ole. Believe them both. I don’t treat people badly. I treat them accordingly - unknown
RGV AG
AG
The question about effectiveness of the wall is basically twofold:
1. Land only border: Pretty effective as it keeps the Mexicans in Mexico. Needs to be right on the line or on the Mexican side. Mexicans or OTM in Mexico stay there. But if they get across they can apply for asylum.

2. River border. Not effective at all, if the government is going to "process" and give asylum claims to those that reach the US side of the river bank, yet remain on the south side of the wall. No point in a wall there. That is what is happening right now with the wall along the river. Pointless basically and that is what many of us that were against were worried about.
2A. The wall on the river helps with Mexicans for sure, as most that are caught are deported (most). But the overwhelming number of OTMs along the river are being used as decoys and then the Mexicans are crossed somewhere the BP or other LEO isn't. If the Central Americans were all returned to Mexico like Trump had set up their numbers drop and they can't be decoys any longer.

Bad policy has made the wall along the river pointless.

Best thing any politician has done to stop illegal immigration and or slow it down was Trump threatening to levy duties on Mexican imports into the US. That got the Mexicans moving to stop illegal exits from their country and started a somewhat true effort to stop illegal immigrants from Central America coming into Mexico. The Mexicans went after the coyotes along the Mexico/US border and rounded up illegals and sent them back or to refugee camps in the Mexican interior. This was the one time and one time frame that things really eased up for BP agents.

As far as stopping dope the wall, along the land or river border, is like hunting mosquitoes with a fishing net. Pointless as only a very small amount of dope crosses that way, the big volume is in hidden commercial shipments or coming across by car at the land POE's.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.