Another Knife and Another Officer Involved Shooting

10,433 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Horn_in_Aggieland
ALL IN 2013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here is the link to the video of the shooting he is being charged for from a few years ago.

Both look like bad shoots to me. I don't think charges should be brought in the more recent shooting but he should be fired. He did nothing to deescalate or even attempt to deescalate the situation. Here is a video of a tremendous officer. Compare this to the officer in the OP. She went above and beyond but the officer in the OP didn't even attempt to show restraint or retreat to a safe distance.
Trucker 96
I don't expect the cop to retreat. If you approach them in a threatening manner with a knife, car, or gun, your dumbass might get shot.

And I'd extend you same courtesy if you found yourself in the same situation as the cop and defended yourself
Infection_Ag11
AG
eric76 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

RiverAg 80 said:

I have presented several shootings like this to a Grand Jury. If the bad guy is 15 ft. away, or closer, he can close on the officer and stab him before the officer can pull the trigger if the officer is not already fully committed to pulling the trigger. It takes a second or 2 for the officer's brain to accept the fact he is being attacked then another second for the brain to say "pull the trigger." But if does take expert testimony to convince a grand jury, or a petit jury if indicted, how the brain reacts to situations like this and how quickly bad guys can move towards a target.

Also, if any of you know an ER doctor, ask the doctor what causes the most injuries, a knife or a gun. I have been very surprised by their answers.

Knife injuries are significantly more common, and depending on the type of ammunition in question often much more damaging. I would much rather be shot in the torso with a small caliber, lower velocity round than be stabbed in the same area. This is because stabbing generally isn't an in/out motion, it involves erratic tearing motions that can cause damage to a relatively large area. If a small caliber round doesn't have a vital organ/vessel in its path you will usually survive. Knife wounds commonly cause significant tissue and vessel damage many inches on either side of the initial tract.
One thing that would be very concerning about being shot, regardless of caliber, would be the chance of the bullet striking the spinal cord and leaving you paralyzed for life.

You can stab a thin adult human through and through with a six inch knife, especially if they're lying flat and you're on top of them (as is the case with many stabbings). Many people are also stabbed in the back. SCI from a stabbing isn't at all uncommon.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Matt Hooper
AG
Natural selection case study
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Posted this elsewhere, you cannot expect a symmetrical response from the cop. Knife already pulled, if he started running would be a fraction of a second to make the decision to fire.

I admit, seems icky. But if you had a body camera and a guy pulled a knife on you and you shot him, you'd never see a day in court.
BusterAg
AG
Quote:

"touch me and see what's up"

"Ohhh, I'm going to touch you all over...." /deadpool
ALL IN 2013
AG
Fore Left! said:

I don't expect the cop to retreat. If you approach them in a threatening manner with a knife, car, or gun, your dumbass might get shot.

And I'd extend you same courtesy if you found yourself in the same situation as the cop and defended yourself

I don't see where the suspect approached the cop. I see the cop approaching the suspect and the suspect backing up until he finally stands his ground. I fully expect officers to show restraint and in that situation common sense would have dictated taking at least several steps back immediately. That man was clearly unstable and if the officer didn't retreat there is only one ending to that situation. I don't think legally the cop has any issues for that shoot, but I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I was him.

The shooting where he jumped in front of the car looks terrible. He's being charged with manslaughter and unless there's more to it he is going to do hard time for that one.
Horn_in_Aggieland
Officer did take about 5 steps back when he noticed the guy had a knife. Guy took a couple of small steps forward. Officer *could * have taken more steps back I guess. Might have had the same outcome. There's that one video where cop walks backwards at least a block before finally having to shoot a guy. I'll link if I can find it.

ETA: Here it is

IslanderAg04
BigFred said:

He killed a mentally ill homeless person. Yay!!

Its an ever increasing population. Training, training, training...

Join up, sounds like you think you can do better.
Trucker 96
If you don't see him approaching the cop, then try to look for the part where he puts one foot in front of the other. Then does it again. Then is on his way to a third. Right before he gets shot
IslanderAg04
ALL IN 2013 said:

Fore Left! said:

I don't see where the suspect approached the cop. I see the cop approaching the suspect and the suspect backing up until he finally stands his ground. I fully expect officers to show restraint and in that situation common sense would have dictated taking at least several steps back immediately. That man was clearly unstable and if the officer didn't retreat there is only one ending to that situation. I don't think legally the cop has any issues for that shoot, but I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I was him.

The shooting where he jumped in front of the car looks terrible. He's being charged with manslaughter and unless there's more to it he is going to do hard time for that one.

He pulls a knife on you wtf you going to do? Politely ask him to stop and cry about your privilege?
Sully Dog
BigFred said:

Ag with kids said:

Apparently people don't understand how quickly that distance could be closed.

That's about 0.5-1.0 seconds of closing time if he lunges corners that cant close that fast.

NFL corners cant close that fast. Dude obviously missed his calling.
10 feet in 1 second? From guys that run the 40m in 4.4?

OK
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
ALL IN 2013
AG
IslanderAg04 said:

ALL IN 2013 said:

Fore Left! said:

He pulls a knife on you wtf you going to do? Politely ask him to stop and cry about your privilege?

I'm as conservative as they come. Don't come at me with that privilege BS. That's a weak shoot and that cop will be in prison for the vehicle shoot.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Fore Left! said:

leachfan said:

Unpopular opinion here, but that cop is a ****ing dumbass. There is no way in hell, I'd **** that guy for pulling a knife.

I don't think any of us would have sex with the guy. Weird post but thanks for your contribution
ALL IN 2013
AG
Fore Left! said:

If you don't see him approaching the cop, then try to look for the part where he puts one foot in front of the other. Then does it again. Then is on his way to a third. Right before he gets shot

I don't know how you watch that video where the cop closes from 100+ feet away to 6-10 feet and then say that the suspect approached the cop.

If you were walking down the sidewalk and followed the guy into the middle of the street asking what he's doing, and he drew a knife and you shot him, would your story be that he approached you or you approached him?

I think it's very disingenuous to say that he approached the cop. The cop put himself in a dangerous distance and then the suspect stopped and took a couple small steps towards the cop. At the end of the day if you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes so I'm not feeling any sympathy for the victim. I just don't think the cop handled the situation well and I think his other shoot that he's going to trial for is much worse. Apparently any criticism of cops isn't welcome by a lot of people and I blame that on the democrats making everything about race.
Boo Weekley
BigFred said:

Anyone who comes at a cop regardless of race is mentally ill.
BlueTaze
I wonder what our London leftists think about this knife crime over here. It's not child's play across the pond. They are literally pushing knife control over there while libs over here are defending teenage knife fights as harmless. Now tell me liberalism isn't a mental disorder.
Ag in Tiger Country
AG
It's the job of an officer to approach/ engage a suspect who is committing an unlawful act (which, in this case, was throwing rocks); emergency services personnel head towards danger, so I don't know why the hell you're trying to flip the script by saying the cop covered 100 feet towards the suspect as if that would substantiate your attempt to paint the cop as the aggressor. Furthermore, the suspect pulled a dangerous weapon, verbally threatened the cop while brandishing the weapon, and then he took AT LEAST two steps towards the officer (who was backpedaling at this point) before he was shot. Furthermore, the officer fired only once.

Lastly, although I don't take issue with your opinion (even though the reasoning that you offered to justify such is just pathetic), I WILL take issue with your repeated, incorrect usage of the word 'SHOOT', which is present tense; the past tense word of SHOT is the correct word to use.

Good Lord son!
HumbleAg04
AG
Tueller drill indicates a good shoot.
lobopride
The officer just got charged because of a shooting in 2018. Coincidence? I highly doubt it.

https://abc7news.com/danville-police-shooting-tyrell-wilson-laudemer-arboleda-lawsuit/10534652/
ALL IN 2013
AG
Ag in Tiger Country said:

It's the job of an officer to approach/ engage a suspect who is committing an unlawful act (which, in this case, was throwing rocks); emergency services personnel head towards danger, so I don't know why the hell you're trying to flip the script by saying the cop covered 100 feet towards the suspect as if that would substantiate your attempt to paint the cop as the aggressor. Furthermore, the suspect pulled a dangerous weapon, verbally threatened the cop while brandishing the weapon, and then he took AT LEAST two steps towards the officer (who was backpedaling at this point) before he was shot. Furthermore, the officer fired only once.

Lastly, although I don't take issue with your opinion (even though the reasoning that you offered to justify such is just pathetic), I WILL take issue with your repeated, incorrect usage of the word 'SHOOT', which is present tense; the past tense word of SHOT is the correct word to use.

Good Lord son!

There's nothing incorrect about calling it a shoot. It is common to refer to a shooting as either a good shoot or a bad shoot; not referring to the actual shot but whether the shooting was justified.

I clearly didn't say there was anything wrong about the officer approaching the suspect either. I agree that is his job. I take issue with saying the suspect approached the officer. Good Lord son maybe work on your reading comprehension!
Corn Pop
This nonsense is what's killing these folks. Politicians backing and lib cities giving enormous checks to criminals is only igniting this fire...
ironmanag
AG
So is the new liberal narrative that knives are no longer a deadly weapon?
eATMup-Reveille
BigFred said:

What an ignorant comment. So because he MAY be mentally ill, he's not dangerous with a knife coming forward at the officer? Following your ignorant logic, if somehow he kills the officer, YOU would be in line defending him due to his mental illness.
ironmanag
AG
eATMup-Reveille said:

BigFred said:

What an ignorant comment. So because he MAY be mentally ill, he's not dangerous with a knife coming forward at the officer? Following your ignorant logic, if somehow he kills the officer, YOU would be in line defending him due to his mental illness.
No he wants the cop killed. Or worse he wants the cop to let him go and have the man kill someone else so he can then blame the cop.
IndividualFreedom
Just curious.....

If the officer had been a non-officer in the same scenario, would the pavement person been in the right to pull the knife? I say yes. My point being, it is the recognition of the badge/authority (in this case the lack of). I think the pavement person is a strict libertarian, border line Anarchist, and will not have his individual freedom detained even for a moment.
Muy
AG
ironmanag said:

So is the new liberal narrative that knives are no longer a deadly weapon?

Yes, that and it's just "kids being kids".

Liberals truly believe that blacks are violent savages who have knife fights for fun.
cevans_40
AG
ALL IN 2013 said:

Here is the link to the video of the shooting he is being charged for from a few years ago.

Both look like bad shoots to me. I don't think charges should be brought in the more recent shooting but he should be fired. He did nothing to deescalate or even attempt to deescalate the situation. Here is a video of a tremendous officer. Compare this to the officer in the OP. She went above and beyond but the officer in the OP didn't even attempt to show restraint or retreat to a safe distance.

How can a person truly think this way?

This is not a sustainable way of policing and I would question the sanity of anyone who thinks it is.
2000AgPhD
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Decay
AG
IndividualFreedom said:

Just curious.....

If the officer had been a non-officer in the same scenario, would the pavement person been in the right to pull the knife? I say yes. My point being, it is the recognition of the badge/authority (in this case the lack of). I think the pavement person is a strict libertarian, border line Anarchist, and will not have his individual freedom detained even for a moment.
Dude was throwing rocks at cars. If one of the drivers got out with a gun, and knife guy lunges at the driver, I would expect him to be shot as well.
oh no
AG
Muy said:

Yes, that and it's just "kids being kids".

Liberals truly believe that blacks are violent savages who have knife fights for fun.
Nothing will ever be ok with the divisive hate-filled path the left is on.

If the cops use force, it's kids being kids, everyone fights with knives, leave them alone, "you wouldn't have used your weapon if it were white kids fighting".

If the cops leave them alone and a kid gets stabbed to death, it's cops ignore them, cops don't care about them, "you would have intervened if it were white kids fighting".

geoag58
AG
These latest police involved shootings can be laid at the feet of the blm movement and leftist politicians. And even laid at the feet of anyone posting on a public forum arm chair quarterbacking all police shootings and always criticizing a split second decision by a police officer who is being physically threatened . They have so vilified the police and essentially told all blacks
"do not comply with any police commands".

In the public space if you are throwing rocks at cars/people/someone else's property the police can and should get involved, their sworn duty is to uphold the law. I would bet good money that knife wielding idiot had been told in some form or fashion recently all cops are bad and just ignore anything they say. Keep it up leftists and you'll have more blood on your hands!
Fight against the dictatorship of the federal bureaucracy!
JR Ewingford
BigFred said:

Ahhh anoither ****ing backseat driver knowing how it should be done. Good riddance.
cevans_40
AG
IndividualFreedom said:

Just curious.....

I am not understanding this?

Are you saying that it is okay to stand in an intersection and throw rocks at cars and then pull a knife on the first person who tries to stop you?
Slyfox07
AG
Dude pulled a knife and walked toward the officer. That's a threat with a lethal weapon.

Another easy call. Good shoot.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.