Another Knife and Another Officer Involved Shooting

10,435 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Horn_in_Aggieland
aginlakeway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EwingBarnes said:

BigFred said:

He killed a mentally ill homeless person. Yay!!

Its an ever increasing population. Training, training, training...
Ahhh anoither ****ing backseat driver knowing how it should be done. Good riddance.

Big Fred is almost SP level bad, as far as idiotic posts.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
ALL IN 2013
AG
cevans_40 said:

ALL IN 2013 said:

Here is the link to the video of the shooting he is being charged for from a few years ago.

Both look like bad shoots to me. I don't think charges should be brought in the more recent shooting but he should be fired. He did nothing to deescalate or even attempt to deescalate the situation. Here is a video of a tremendous officer. Compare this to the officer in the OP. She went above and beyond but the officer in the OP didn't even attempt to show restraint or retreat to a safe distance.

How can a person truly think this way?

This is not a sustainable way of policing and I would question the sanity of anyone who thinks it is.

If you think shooting a driver that brakes and attempts to drive around a police car at a few mph is okay, then you and I have a fundamental disagreement on not only the rule of law, but right and wrong.
Touchless
AG
ALL IN 2013 said:

Here is the link to the video of the shooting he is being charged for from a few years ago.

Both look like bad shoots to me. I don't think charges should be brought in the more recent shooting but he should be fired. He did nothing to deescalate or even attempt to deescalate the situation. Here is a video of a tremendous officer. Compare this to the officer in the OP. She went above and beyond but the officer in the OP didn't even attempt to show restraint or retreat to a safe distance.

Dang, the female cop in that other video you posted is....attractive.
Ag with kids
AG
ALL IN 2013 said:

Yes she retreated. What do you think would have happened if she had tripped while backpedaling?

She's lucky that didn't happen because he could have easily closed the distance and stabbed her then.
Agthatbuilds
ALL IN 2013 said:

No. You drive your vehicle between a road block and at a standing cop, you're going to be shot.
Ag with kids
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

ALL IN 2013 said:

No. You drive your vehicle between a road block and at a standing cop, you're going to be shot.
At that point, the car is essentially a deadly weapon.
cevans_40
AG
ALL IN 2013 said:

cevans_40 said:

ALL IN 2013 said:

How can a person truly think this way?

This is not a sustainable way of policing and I would question the sanity of anyone who thinks it is.

If you think shooting a driver that brakes and attempts to drive around a police car at a few mph is okay, then you and I have a fundamental disagreement on not only the rule of law, but right and wrong.
I guess getting run over by a car doing "a few mph" is no big threat to your life. Maybe that's the part I don't understand.

We literally have laws against injuring or killing someone in the act of committing a crime (evading arrest) for this very reason. FYI, intentionally hitting someone with a car is assault with a deadly weapon.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Horn_in_Aggieland said:

This one might be a little problematic for the officer I think.

I see zero wrong with what the officer did. He yelled three times to drop the knife while pointing a gun at him. I'm sorry but you can't pull a weapon on a cop and expect him to just "retreat" and leave you alone.

Raise your kids to respect and follow the orders of a police officer people. This will continue to happen as people have less and less respect for the authority of police officers
ALL IN 2013
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

ALL IN 2013 said:

It's amazing to me that someone can watch that video and claim that he tried to run over the officer. The officer ran around the back of his car which would have been blind to the driver and shot the driver as he was passing him. It's clear cut and the cop is charged with manslaughter. You can't jump in front of a car and then shoot the driver for "trying to run you over." Play stupid games win stupid prizes goes both ways. That cop can think about how much of a badass Rambo he is while he rots in a jail cell.
ALL IN 2013
AG
Also considering the fact he hit the brakes when he saw the officer your claim about him trying to run over the cop won't go over well in court. Anybody defending that shooting is sick in the head.
ALL IN 2013
AG
Not to mention there is another officer in the direct line of fire. Bad all the way around.

Edit: meant to reply to cevans post
Agthatbuilds
ALL IN 2013 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

ALL IN 2013 said:

It's amazing to me that someone can watch that video and claim that he tried to run over the officer. The officer ran around the back of his car which would have been blind to the driver and shot the driver as he was passing him. It's clear cut and the cop is charged with manslaughter. You can't jump in front of a car and then shoot the driver for "trying to run you over." Play stupid games win stupid prizes goes both ways. That cop can think about how much of a badass Rambo he is while he rots in a jail cell.

I vehemently disagree with you. Thanks for the insult too.

First of all, context on that shooting is not there. Was this a long standing police chase? What were to characteristics of the police chases? Why was there a police chase? Did they know what the perp was being chased for?

Secondly, the driver is actively going through a road block. Shouldnt be surprising when a policeman jumps out.

Thirdly, the car is very much a deadly weapon. Hitting the brakes doesnt mean much, unless he's stopping the car - Which he didnt do.

There might be dept policies about shooting into vehicles. If the cop went against his training, have at him. However, Monday morning qbing this about tapping the breaks is looking for a reason to blame the cop. A car going five mph which the floors the accelerator wins every time when hitting a person. It's science.

At what point would you assign any blame for the situation to the suspect. After he led a police chase? After he goes through a road block? After he hits a cop? When?
aginlakeway
AG
BigFred said:

"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
ALL IN 2013
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

ALL IN 2013 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

ALL IN 2013 said:

I vehemently disagree with you. Thanks for the insult too.

First of all, context on that shooting is not there. Was this a long standing police chase? What were to characteristics of the police chases? Why was there a police chase? Did they know what the perp was being chased for?

Secondly, the driver is actively going through a road block. Shouldnt be surprising when a policeman jumps out.

Thirdly, the car is very much a deadly weapon. Hitting the brakes doesnt mean much, unless he's stopping the car - Which he didnt do.

There might be dept policies about shooting into vehicles. If the cop went against his training, have at him. However, Monday morning qbing this about tapping the breaks is looking for a reason to blame the cop. A car going five mph which the floors the accelerator wins every time when hitting a person. It's science.

At what point would you assign any blame for the situation to the suspect. After he led a police chase? After he goes through a road block? After he hits a cop? When?

What insult?

There is more evidence in that tape that he tried to avoid the officer rather than run him over, and zero evidence that he tried to run him over. It is also not acceptable to shoot with another officer in the direct line of fire. A prosecutor will say that is evidence of rage.

What blame do you want me to assign to the driver? Is he an idiot? Yes. Was he breaking the law? Yes. Did he deserve a death sentence by a one man judge and jury? Absolutely not. Am I going to cry that he was stupid and got shot? Not one tear. But I would vote guilty if I was on the jury for that officer in his upcoming trial based on all the evidence I've seen.
bayareaag17
This happened in my hometown. Cop has a bad reputation. He's going to prison.
eric76
AG
aginlakeway said:

BigFred said:

Perhaps the phrase should be "Say her criminal intentions".
Love Gun
bayareaag17 said:

User name checks out.
bayareaag17
Love Gun said:

bayareaag17 said:

User name checks out.

Yup. Luckily I don't live in California anymore but I've been keeping up with this case. Hard to believe my sleepy little hometown is making national news to be honest.
Disgruntled Pelican
Onceaggie2.0 said:

Pulling a knife on a cop is not a good idea..how did he think that would end?
27 million dollars, a nationally televised funeral, and an autonomous zone in his honor.

I don't see anything wrong with the incident. He didn't comply with officer commands. He told the cop "touch me and see what's up". He took a step toward the cop with a knife in his hand, after being told to drop the knife and responding with a firm "no". As soon as he took the shot, he called it in and started trying to help the thug that he shot.

suburban cowboy
AG
Brought a knife to a gunfight
black_ice
Damn nice kill!
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Don't know if anyone has posted this, but here's the study on how quickly knife attackers close the distance.

FrioAg 00
AG
If you're mentally fit enough to brandish a knife, say things like "touch me and see what's up" and "kill me" as you aggressively move towards an officer...

Then you are for enough to be accountable for your awful decisions.

This officer should be given an award for textbook good policing, just like the one what shot the attempted murderer.
aggiehawg
AG
Disgruntled Pelican said:

Onceaggie2.0 said:

Pulling a knife on a cop is not a good idea..how did he think that would end?
27 million dollars, a nationally televised funeral, and an autonomous zone in his honor.

I don't see anything wrong with the incident. He didn't comply with officer commands. He told the cop "touch me and see what's up". He took a step toward the cop with a knife in his hand, after being told to drop the knife and responding with a firm "no". As soon as he took the shot, he called it in and started trying to help the thug that he shot.

He took two steps and had his knee raised to take the third when the officer fired. It's not clear on his BWC video but the other view clearly shows the suspect is advancing.
Horn_in_Aggieland
Loved seeing Officer Hightower in the first scenario.

This is the kind of stuff they should air on the news when discussing these incidents. Might help to educate the public. At least those who are willing to listen.
gigemags-99
AG
Fightin TX Aggie said:

Don't know if anyone has posted this, but here's the study on how quickly knife attackers close the distance.

Dan Insanto is probably one of the most skilled people alive with a knife...even at 84 he would be deadly within 4-5 feet of an armed (gun) opponent.

I'm skeptical of the effectiveness of a lot of martial arts, but Kali / Escrima is no joke when the practitioner has a knife (knives).

Also check stuff out Zach Whitson...I hope that dude never decides to go postal with a blade.
Horn_in_Aggieland

Just a coincidence?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.