SpaceX and other space news updates

1,219,723 Views | 14188 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by will25u
bthotugigem05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think one thruster failed, but the redundancy covered for it. Clickbaiters and ragebaiters are going crazy with Starliner because everyone wants a pound of flesh from Boeing right now.

NASA still needs Starliner to complete its initial 3 crewed flights, to the degree I wouldn't be shocked if NASA helped pay for another test flight.
AtticusMatlock
They shut down one thruster before undocking. This was the problem one that they couldn't figure out so they just shut it down. They reported after undocking and the maneuvering phase of re-entry that all remaining thrusters performed nominally. The capsule returned home on time, on trajectory, and on target.
will25u
Kenneth_2003
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

I think one thruster failed, but the redundancy covered for it. Clickbaiters and ragebaiters are going crazy with Starliner because everyone wants a pound of flesh from Boeing right now.

NASA still needs Starliner to complete its initial 3 crewed flights, to the degree I wouldn't be shocked if NASA helped pay for another test flight.

I don't disagree NASA wants and probably needs Starliner. Boeing certainly needs it.

But NASA has shown they are not going to let Boeing say backups working is a success.

Starliner was, until it left, the primary emergency evacuation for those two astronauts if it was necessary. So it was obvious NASA trusted Starliners backup systems to being the crew home safely. And let's face it, if ISS were being evacuated the Starliners backups were better than unsuited on a cargo pallet in Dragon.

But the backups aren't the primary. NASA has shown by their decisions in this situation they want primary systems for primary missions.
nortex97
AG

Any updates on when flight 5 happens? I thought fall started Sept 1? Tower 2 is basically structurally complete as I understand it, anyway. The draw works/flame trench etc. probably have to be set up still.

TexAgs91
AG

I forget where I heard it, but I heard not later this fall, but "late fall". As in November or December.

FAA and EPA strikes again

This doesn't make sense
Quote:

I feel confident they want tower 2 in a state that would allow them to resume launches quickly or atleast a few months from completion should tower 1 get decimated like people are worrying

If the first launch tower is decimated the FAA will make sure they will not be resuming launches quickly.
Kceovaisnt-
AG
TexAgs91 said:

If the first launch tower is decimated the FAA will make sure they will not be resuming launches quickly.

Can you expand on this thought?
nortex97
AG
Not sure I'd really want them to launch in October anyway as if anything goes wrong, the federal government will be at 'peak anti-Elon' and any RUD/explosions will be portrayed somehow as a metaphor for Trump's campaign. Sorry, had to inject a little politics here.

Just wait until mid-November if they can't launch this month, IMHO.
Decay
AG
Kceovaisnt- said:

TexAgs91 said:

The review process for something like that would be a huge invitation for a anti-Elon activity. Every sea turtle and rare bird activist, environmental activist, job or union activist, weather nut and climate terrorist, erosion expert, water treatment watchdog... They'd descend upon the situation with hands out and protests up to stop Starbase operations.
aezmvp
Not to mention anything that took down the tower would need to be significantly reviewed for a rocket that is supposed to handle significant manned spaceflight in the near future. He's not wrong, but there would be good reasons for a review to ensure safety.
Mathguy64
AG
Anything that took out the tower is almost certainly taking out the tank farm too. It's not like they are far apart. And the environmental impact study from that would shut things down forever.
Premium
AG
Is tower 2 more structured to handle a landing? Maybe they will catch with tower 2 on this next flight and if they works they will retool tower 1 to be better?
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

bthotugigem05 said:

I don't disagree NASA wants and probably needs Starliner. Boeing certainly needs it.

But NASA has shown they are not going to let Boeing say backups working is a success.

Starliner was, until it left, the primary emergency evacuation for those two astronauts if it was necessary. So it was obvious NASA trusted Starliners backup systems to being the crew home safely. And let's face it, if ISS were being evacuated the Starliners backups were better than unsuited on a cargo pallet in Dragon.

But the backups aren't the primary. NASA has shown by their decisions in this situation they want primary systems for primary missions.

This should be a no duh as far as policy goes. Backups are for when primary systems fail unexpectedly. If the primary systems have already failed and you are relying on the backups from the start where is the redundancy for when Murphy shows up? (Murphys law)

Also at this point what by the time starliner gets going it will be time to retire the space station.

I would not be surprised if Boeing pulls out as they can't make money on the project anymore.

It might be time for NASA to reevaluate the program as well as Boeings rate of progress to see if a working capsule is even feasible in the remaining time frame
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
TexAgs91
AG
Kceovaisnt- said:

TexAgs91 said:

Such a public rapid unscheduled disassembly would get the pearl clutchers, Elon haters and environmentalists all up in arms and there would undoubtably be a lengthy investigation by the EPA and FAA. SpaceX would probably have time to build 4 more launch towers while that plays out.
lb3
AG
C@LAg
how many holes punched in the atmosphere will be enough too satisfy vampire Musk's Bond villain constitution!!!!!!!!
Mr President Elect
AG
TexAgs91 said:

I forget where I heard it, but I heard not later this fall, but "late fall". As in November or December.

This doesn't make sense
Quote:

I feel confident they want tower 2 in a state that would allow them to resume launches quickly or atleast a few months from completion should tower 1 get decimated like people are worrying

Bondag
AG
Mr President Elect said:

TexAgs91 said:

This doesn't make sense
Quote:

All this does is give some group of government bureaucrats a job for another 60 days and if they can provide comments another 60 days. I have seen projects extend by years solely due to delays like this at the local level.
Mr President Elect
AG
Elon mentioned it last night, but you would think the longest lead time for rocket launches would be the actual manufacturing of the rocket, not obscure regulatory approvals.
aTmAg
AG
F the FAA and National Marines Fisheries Service
Ag87H2O
AG
Mr President Elect said:

Elon mentioned it last night, but you would think the longest lead time for rocket launches would be the actual manufacturing of the rocket, not obscure regulatory approvals.
Sorry to get political, but supporting Trump's reelection comes with a price. I seriously doubt supposed concerns about a different landing zone for the hot staging ring or sonic booms have as much to do with the delays as good old fashioned politics.
AtticusMatlock
This was a breathtaking launch.

double aught
AG
Great video.

Was the first stage expended?
MGS
aTmAg said:

F the FAA and National Marines Fisheries Service

FJB
aezmvp
A sonic boom might hurt alllllll the famous local wild life. Now I get that a rocket launch is loud. Best I can find is that the Saturn V was 120 decibels at 1.5 miles. The same as close thunder or a jet. About the same as a tornado. So in an area that routinely sees hurricanes which would be louder with thunder and tornados... WTF. Such crap.
TexAgs91
AG
Ag87H2O said:

Mr President Elect said:

Sorry to get political, but supporting Trump's reelection comes with a price. I seriously doubt supposed concerns about a different landing zone for the hot staging ring or sonic booms have as much to do with the delays as good old fashioned politics.
Supporting the republican nominee isn't a problem. The problem is that democrats have weaponized multiple branches of the government.
lb3
AG
double aught said:

Great video.

Was the first stage expended?
landed on the drone ship.
AtlAg05
AG
aezmvp said:

A sonic boom might hurt alllllll the famous local wild life. Now I get that a rocket launch is loud. Best I can find is that the Saturn V was 120 decibels at 1.5 miles. The same as close thunder or a jet. About the same as a tornado. So in an area that routinely sees hurricanes which would be louder with thunder and tornados... WTF. Such crap.

The ground tortoises near 39A sure don't seem to mind regular rocket launches well inside the ring that would be dangerous for humans.
jokershady
AG
i know.....i know....cool story bro.....but still....

anna merrin, one of the 4 astronauts on this launch is a local girl from houston and a classmate of mine from middle school through high school...she was always super smart as hell and so proud to see she gets to join in history of being an astronaut on this mission....

and apparently her husband also works for nasa in some capacity...

she's on the left in this video

lb3
AG
Anna's a friend of mine. Spectacular person. Always happy. I joke that she must be a cutter b/c nobody can be that outwardly happy all of the time and not do self harm to balance out the daily emotions.

Her husband is an astronaut. He was a flight surgeon at NASA when they met. He got to the final round of astronaut interviews in the class before last but wasn't selected so he left for SpaceX to become their Medical Director in order to gain additional experience for the next astronaut class. It worked out for him and he got selected.

Anna started working Flight Rules part time but SpX pulled her in full time and she started climbing the ranks before becoming a mission director which is SpaceX's equivalent of a flight director. SpX is the purest meritocracy I've ever observed and it's not surprising she climbed that mountain and has flown to space prior to her astronaut husband.
will25u
Jock 07
AG
AtlAg05 said:

aezmvp said:

The ground tortoises near 39A sure don't seem to mind regular rocket launches well inside the ring that would be dangerous for humans.

Same with the dumbass plovers in and around SLC 4 at Vandenberg.
bthotugigem05
AG
The spacewalk views are amazing!
AtlAg05
AG
Uh oh, we hit page 404…..

I apologize for the nerdy dad joke.
jokershady
AG
holy crap that helmet cam shot as he came out of the capsule.....jeez got me choked up a little bit did not expect that....
First Page Last Page
Page 404 of 406

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.