Mueller dismisses top FBI agent in Russia probe for anti-Trump texts

7,487,575 Views | 49269 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by aggiehawg
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Another dumb question (on my part), but is it possible RR never actually granted Mueller the so called authority and he's simply gone rogue? Yes, I'm implying that Mr. Rosenstein is the spineless weasel his image portrays and too cowardly to rein in the SC?
No. The August 2 memo puts Rosenstein right in the middle of the mess, a mess he created in the first place with his appointment letter.
Bird Poo
AG
Either RR or Sessions is the "insurance", but I'm not sure they could have known that at the time.
MouthBQ98
AG
They tried to do it again, but in the Information Age it leaves paper trails.
aggiehawg
AG
Another article about what happened in court today:

Quote:

But he asked why a run-of-the-mill bank fraud case with no "reference to any Russian individual or Russian bank" could not be handed over to the U.S. Attorney's Office in the Eastern District of Virginia.

As an example, he pointed to the FBI's probe into Trump's personal lawyer Michael Cohen, and mused that the special counsel had turned that matter over to prosecutors in Manhattan.

Dreeben declined to discuss the Cohen case, but said that Mueller's probe into Manafort was authorized by Rosenstein.

Rosenstein's May 2017 order laying out the scope of the probe, he told the judge, did not reveal all the details because they involve sensitive national security and counterintelligence matters that could not be divulged publicly, but were conveyed to Mueller.

Quote:

Dreeben also stressed that Rosenstein wrote another memo two months later, in August 2017, explicitly granting Mueller the power to investigate Manafort's Ukraine dealings years before the 2016 election.

Ellis complained that the bulk of that August memo he has received was highly redacted.

He directed Mueller's office to take two weeks to consult with U.S. intelligence agencies to see if they will sign off so that he can personally review a sealed, unredacted version of the memo.

Dreeben told him the redacted portions did not pertain to the Manafort case.
LINK

Counter-intelligence? We don't appoint Special Counsels for counter-intelligence probes. And we certainly don't use counter-intelligence methods to obtain evidence for a criminal prosecution.
RoscoePColtrane
Amazing though who was Mueller's point man until he was outed with his girlfriend? The head "Counterintelligence" agent in the FBI
Never take a hostage you aren't willing to shoot,
Remember, America doesn’t negotiate with terrorists.
Code 7 10-42
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
So next question:

Now that Judge Elliot has told Mueller that he will take a look at the memo in camera and then tell them what he thinks, do you think Mueller and his team have the minerals (or are desperate enough) to try to mandamus Elliot?

If yes, how do you think that will go over?
MouthBQ98
AG
Pedesta has the goods on a lot of Dems that they don't want to give him reason to trade for his own leniency, so they won't go after him of course.
aggiehawg
AG
RoscoePColtrane said:

Amazing though who was Mueller's point man until he was outed with his girlfriend? The head "Counterintelligence" agent in the FBI
This hybrid of counter-intel/criminal investigation is fraught with peril. Using Title I FISA warrants and 702 queries without the subject's knowledge for a criminal prosecution has truly horrific 4th Amendment implications.

RoscoePColtrane
blindey said:

So next question:

Now that Judge Elliot has told Mueller that he will take a look at the memo in camera and then tell them what he thinks, do you think Mueller and his team have the minerals (or are desperate enough) to try to mandamus Elliot?

That's interesting, but would they have to go to the 4th with that?
Code 7 10-42
valvemonkey91
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

This thread is great!

Amen! THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN to hawg, Roscoe, dcirinium and all the other TexAgs legal eagles. My thumbs are getting a workout, hitting refresh. I could never wade through all this treason without your help.
MouthBQ98
AG
They keep sliding back and forth between criminal and counterintelligence means and standards at their convenience and someone needs to step in and slap all their hands hard and stop that BS garbage.
RoscoePColtrane
aggiehawg said:

RoscoePColtrane said:

This hybrid of counter-intel/criminal investigation is fraught with peril. Using Title I FISA warrants and 702 queries without the subject's knowledge for a criminal prosecution has truly horrific 4th Amendment implications.

Textbook offensive counterintelligence.

Quote:

Literally from the textbook definition Offensive counterintelligence is having identified an opponent's efforts against the system, trying to manipulate these attacks by either "turning" the opponent's agents into double agents or feeding them false information to report.
And in this case they have weaponized the media, Mockingbird style

Code 7 10-42
aggiehawg
AG
blindey said:

So next question:

I would be amazed if Mueller went that direction. The arguments as presented today have muddied the water and not to Mueller's benefit.

To argue mandamus here, Mueller would have to argue the counter-intelligence (national security) part in a criminal prosecution. Huge red flag as to how Mueller has been obtaining his evidence of alleged crimes. Raises a 4th Amendment issue.

Dreeben did Mueller no favors today.
aggiehawg
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

They keep sliding back and forth between criminal and counterintelligence means and standards at their convenience and someone needs to step in and slap all their hands hard and stop that BS garbage.
Precisely. Mueller's appointment was ill-conceived from the get-go. Counter-intel should have never been within his mandate. The hacking of the DNC computers should have been because that's an actual crime (if it happened at all.)
MEENAGGIE09
AG
aggiehawg said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Precisely. Mueller's appointment was ill-conceived from the get-go. Counter-intel should have never been within his mandate. The hacking of the DNC computers should have been because that's an actual crime (if it happened at all.)
Why don't we hear anything about that?

Supposedly this whole charade is to investigate Russian interference, and supposedly that is one of the most tangible instances of Russian interference - yet the investigation never touches it?

We all know why, the answer is clearly that it never happened and that the Russian narrative is a construct to justify a witch hunt on POTUS.

It just amazes me that people who insist that the special counsel is legitimate gloss over the logical inconsistencies in the facts of what are occurring.

ETA: the "that" to which I am referring is the hack of the DNC
TxLawDawg
AG
I'm also curious what could be in the August memo that's so clandestine that Mueller, Rosenstein, et al would go to these lengths to preserve. As suggested in the article linked a few pages back, the circumstantial evidence sure seems to suggest that at least a substantial part of the impetus for the clarification memo was to provide retroactive cover for the Manafort raid that had already taken place and was outside the purview of the May order. If that's the case, they had to know at some point the August memo would be provided to some authority (Congress or the Court in future prosecutions if any) to demonstrate investigative jurisdiction. It should have been written with that in mind. You certainly wouldn't want to include anything in the memo that might later undermine that very purpose.

The only thing I can come up with is that something has since been revealed that blows a hole in the predicate that the memo relied on, and its release is now more damning than it is supportive.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

The only thing I can come up with is that something has since been revealed that blows a hole in the predicate that the memo relied on, and its release is now more damning than it is supportive.
I think Rosenstein and Mueller had their worlds rocked when IG Horowitz came calling about Strzok and Page. The IG got Page's texts on July 20th. So he would have passed those on to Mueller sometime after that. The memo was dated August 2, 2017 and likely was a knee jerk reaction of a sort.

One that in hindsight was precisely the wrong move to make and it is coming back to bite them, potentially.
RoscoePColtrane
Geezus I needed a good laugh

Code 7 10-42
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
TxLawDawg said:

I'm also curious what could be in the August memo that's so clandestine that Mueller, Rosenstein, et al would go to these lengths to preserve..
You know it has to be bad because what they were trying to do today: they were trying to keep an Article III judge from reviewing the memo in unredacted form in camera (as in the judge was the only person that was going to look).
Prosperdick
AG

Quote:

You know what gets you nuclear war...weakness. Weakness gets you nuclear war.

1000% correct.
akm91
AG
blindey said:

TxLawDawg said:

I'm also curious what could be in the August memo that's so clandestine that Mueller, Rosenstein, et al would go to these lengths to preserve..
You know it has to be bad because what they were trying to do today: they were trying to keep an Article III judge from reviewing the memo in unredacted form in camera (as in the judge was the only person that was going to look).
Kinda like your kids hiding the report card from you.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
akm91 said:

blindey said:

TxLawDawg said:

Great analogy.
drcrinum
I suspect the August memo revealed that there was a counterintelligence investigation into the Trump Campaign coveting Russian assistance during the election. In other words, it acknowledged there was a FISA warrant or warrants in play, and intelligence/evidence was being gathered, implying there was suspicion such activity had occurred.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'm eaiting lunch and damn near spit out my food when I heard him say it live
Tailgate88
AG
blindey said:

akm91 said:

blindey said:

TxLawDawg said:

Great analogy.

I tried that once. It didn't end well.
akm91
AG
Tailgate88 said:

blindey said:

akm91 said:

blindey said:

TxLawDawg said:

Great analogy.

I tried that once. It didn't end well.
Let's just say that something other than a belt was used when I pulled that stunt. I've shared my experience with my kids and they now know better.
RoscoePColtrane
Oh I want this guy to burn as well

Code 7 10-42
IDAGG
AG
RoscoePColtrane said:

Point is he has no ties to Manafort or Page. I'd bet money he never spoke to them. And he walks into a Special Counsel interview and they have every thing he'd done, talked about on the phone, texted, whatever. And he was gone from the campaign but maintained contacts with associates in the Trump Administration.
Maybe this has been posted somewhere on this thread or the couple of others that are related. If so, I apologize:

Basically they used the Carter Page FISA to two-hop everyone in the Trump campaign.

Interesting way to spy on a political campaign.

Meanwhile, Carter Page has never been charged with anything and has talked to anyone and everyone that will listen. Which means:

1) Carter Page is likely innocent.
2) If not it means:
a) He is an idiot for talking so freely if he is guilty. Since he is an Annapolis grad, I doubt he is an idiot.
b) He has some sort of deal with Mueller, but I would think Mueller wouldn't let him talk so freely if that were the case.

I am no lawyer, but I would bet the FBI has known for some time that Page is innocent and just kept using the FISA warrant to spy on Trump'c campaign and administration.
pacecar02
Quote:

"and just kept using the FISA warrant to spy on Trump'c campaign and administration."
pretty much

that plus the only factual data, I think, in the numerous paid for dossiers was likely derived form phone meta data lifted by "contractors" via 702's.
aggiehawg
AG
RoscoePColtrane said:

Comey's working as fast as he can to throw his trusted friend under the bus.
RoscoePColtrane
IDAGG said:

RoscoePColtrane said:

Point is he has no ties to Manafort or Page. I'd bet money he never spoke to them. And he walks into a Special Counsel interview and they have every thing he'd done, talked about on the phone, texted, whatever. And he was gone from the campaign but maintained contacts with associates in the Trump Administration.
Maybe this has been posted somewhere on this thread or the couple of others that are related. If so, I apologize:

Basically they used the Carter Page FISA to two-hop everyone in the Trump campaign.

Interesting way to spy on a political campaign.

Meanwhile, Carter Page has never been charged with anything and has talked to anyone and everyone that will listen. Which means:

1) Carter Page is likely innocent.
2) If not it means:
a) He is an idiot for talking so freely if he is guilty. Since he is an Annapolis grad, I doubt he is an idiot.
b) He has some sort of deal with Mueller, but I would think Mueller wouldn't let him talk so freely if that were the case.

I am no lawyer, but I would bet the FBI has known for some time that Page is innocent and just kept using the FISA warrant to spy on Trump'c campaign and administration.
I want to be real honest, I think Page was the chosen target to build this BS hoax against the american voters, by John Brennan. It's not been proven, but the hair on my neck says Page is/was a contract operative for the CIA. And with his history being surveilled by the FBI before in 2013 in their sting operation to get Podobnyy and Sporyshev, and Page walked away and was described as a cooperating witness. Brennan knew Page was clean but had a spook background that fit the perfect role of a patsy, and just blew up the FISA court from there. Don't forget how involved Brennan was with the creation of the dossier that landed the warrant. And what happens with Page again in this deal? Walks away scot free and unharmed.
Code 7 10-42
captkirk
AG
RoscoePColtrane said:

That is one goofy looking mofo
coyote68
I'm here on the ranch and ready take the top off of a cold Lone Star just like I did 50 years ago in College Station.

It occurs to this cowboy that Mr. Mueller and Mr. Rosenstein may have more than a little coverup going on. Maybe the hunters are about to become the hunted.

I wonder what the heck is so important that you have to take down an elected President??? And risk your careers to do it.
SeMgCo87
AG
coyote68 said:

I'm here on the ranch and ready take the top off of a cold Lone Star just like I did 50 years ago in College Station.

It occurs to this cowboy that Mr. Mueller and Mr. Rosenstein may have more than a little coverup going on. Maybe the hunters are about to become the hunted.

I wonder what the heck is so important that you have to take down an elected President??? And risk your careers to do it.
The Swamp.
pacecar02
more from Danny Boy

First Page Last Page
Page 326 of 1408

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.