Mueller dismisses top FBI agent in Russia probe for anti-Trump texts

7,487,905 Views | 49269 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by aggiehawg
RoscoePColtrane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MEENAGGIE09 said:

Nope, this one is more recent...
I stand corrected

Never take a hostage you aren't willing to shoot,
Remember, America doesn’t negotiate with terrorists.
Code 7 10-42
FriscoKid
AG
RoscoePColtrane said:

This POS Lawfare Blogger and Comey's BFF reacting to the report of a wiretap on Cohen

Then after the walkback

Nice video.
jt2hunt
AG
Damn. Really want to see this report come out now!
Tailgate88
AG
aggiehawg said:

MEENAGGIE09 said:

Nope, this one is more recent...
Crap!!!!

Sorry had not seen your angry face when I did mine but clearly I share your outrage.
Ellis Wyatt
Cepe said:

I also wonder if they are close to calling a truce and going back to the status quo. It's pretty clear that the entire swamp was doing this kind of stuff and spying on each other.
Who do you mean by each other? The left controlled all levers of power and "justice" for 8 years leading into this ****show. (Including Fast and Furious, IRS targeting, Benghazi, and now this)

They are the ones who refuse to operate within constitutional constraints whether you're talking about federal agencies, the folks at the top of the Obama WH, or the judiciary. That's the left. I'm unaware of anything comparable happening on the right.

They are unethical and mad with power.
FriscoKid
AG
After Hillary lost they knew the dirt would come out. I think Mueller was appointed to muddy the water as much as possible so the average person didn't know what to believe. It's IG vs SC.
aggiehawg
AG
Let's go back and revisit that Manafort pleading in his case in Virginia. The ramifications could be greater than I originally thought. Manafort's lawyers have been able to get Rod Rosenstein and Mueller to twist themselves into a pretzel over jurisdiction. The very subject that Rosenstein has refused to reveal to anyone.

The salient point here is that the August 2, 2017 memo from Rosenstein was an interpretation of his previous order appointing Mueller. There's a distinction there. If Rosenstein had amended his order of appointment, that would have been made public, just like when Ken Starr's jurisdiction was specifically granted to include the Lewinsky matter. Yet, they opted not to do so. Why?

Gee, maybe it was because that would have been a blazing red siren that Mueller didn't have jurisdiction to order the pre-dawn, no knock raid on Manafort's home in July and the seizure of his storage unit in June. The memo was an attempt to remedy that error, post hoc.

But the law doesn't work that way.

From Professor Jacobsen:

Quote:

But that gets back to one of the original sins of the prosecution of Manafort It was beyond the scope of Mueller's authority when the investigation started and the raid on Manafort's home took place. That Order of appointment has never been changed.

Mueller and Rod Rosenstein attempted to bootstrap authority in an August 4, 2017 memo, we previously discussed in Rosenstein Memo confirming Mueller could investigate Manafort came a week after raid on Manafort's home:

The argument is that the indictment of Manafort for business dealings is unrelated to and took place years before 2016 Russian election interference and alleged collusion.

[url=https://legalinsurrection.com/2018/04/rosenstein-memo-confirming-mueller-could-investigate-manafort-came-a-week-after-raid-on-manaforts-home/][/url]In opposition to Manafort's motion, Mueller submitted Brief in Opposition, which attached as an exhibit an August 2, 2017 Memo, which purported to confirm to Mueller that Manafort's prior business dealings were covered by the original order of appointment.

[url=https://legalinsurrection.com/2018/04/rosenstein-memo-confirming-mueller-could-investigate-manafort-came-a-week-after-raid-on-manaforts-home/][/url]The August 2, 2017, Rosenstein memo clearly is being used by Mueller to affirm Mueller's authority to investigate Manafort's non-election-related, years-old business dealings. But the timing jumped out at me.

[url=https://legalinsurrection.com/2018/04/rosenstein-memo-confirming-mueller-could-investigate-manafort-came-a-week-after-raid-on-manaforts-home/][/url]By the time of the August 2 memo, Mueller already was investigating Manafort's business dealings and gathering evidence for an indictment (which would be unsealed less than three months later).
[url=https://legalinsurrection.com/2018/04/rosenstein-memo-confirming-mueller-could-investigate-manafort-came-a-week-after-raid-on-manaforts-home/]On July 26, 2017 a week before the Rosensten memo Mueller's team raided Manafort's home, as the Washington Post reported on August 9, 2017.[/url]

Quote:

Rosenstein purporting to interpret the original Order of appointment is not in fact a change in the Order. Mueller's authority is as it was when he was appointed, and that plainly does not include matters completely unrelated to alleged Russian collusion or crimes committed in the course of the investigation. Neither of those situations applies to the prosecution of Manafort.
The problem with this post hoc authority is that it also calls into question the integrity of the Mueller operation:
Quote:

The August 2, 2017 memo was classic boostrapping. It purported to confirm Mueller's authority to go after Manafort's business dealings, but Mueller already was doing that and had been doing it for weeks, culminating in the July 26 home raid.
So to the extent the Rosenstein August 2, 2017 memorandum is supposed to instill confidence that Mueller is receiving proper DOJ oversight, it does just the opposite. As least as to the portion revealed about Manafort, it shows a willingness to give post hoc justification for conduct of Mueller that does not appear authorized by the text of the original May 17 appointing Order.

And the capper:
Quote:

Mueller has no business prosecuting someone for matters completely unrelated to alleged Russian collusion. After-the-fact expansion of authority by Rod Rosenstein, which did not change the appointing Order, cannot change that.
Mueller is torturing Manafort through these indictments without appropriate authority. That might be because Mueller thinks he can flip Manafort against Trump, or because Manafort's refusal to cop a plea has so infuriated the Mueller team that they are going to make an example of Manafort.
In either case, Mueller needs to be limited to his actual authority. Hopefully the courts will do that, because it's clear that Rod Rosenstein will not.
LINK

Rosey also is taking some fire from Mark Penn.

Quote:

We need to get to the bottom of what Comey did in all of these investigations, and whether they were compromised. We must have both tasks carried out fully and fairly. It's clear now that Rod Rosenstein, with his comments, is part of the problem, not part of the solution.
Read the rest

ETA: Sorry about the formatting. Legal Insurrection's formatting doesn't get along TexAgs, apparently.
hbtheduce
AG
sam callahan said:

I wish I had a tenth of the faith in Horowitz as some of you.

I operate on the assumption that there are no angels of virtue in D.C. and if there were they would be squashed under the weight and corruption of those around them.

It's a bleak outlook, but one that seldom if ever gets truly challenged.

Horowitz was marginalized by the Obama administration. He definitely has a few bones to pick with "the swamp". So far he has been delivering good information and has formally requested criminal charges be brought against bad actors.

The failure has been the DOJ to prosecute, I wonder if Huber is just teeing things up to release after Horowitz's reports and testimony.
RoscoePColtrane
Let's think about this for a minute. Michael Caputo by the Campaign organization chart was the Advisor/Communications for Convention Caucus Operations. Not the "Senior Communications Manager that they are painting of him. He was a lower level guy, likely a $100K (I'll have to pull the reports to verify that) He was just a communications adviser to Trump's political efforts November 2015 to June 2016 and resigned following June 20, 2016 tweet about Lewandowski firing. (I misspoke before)

Point is he has no ties to Manafort or Page. I'd bet money he never spoke to them. And he walks into a Special Counsel interview and they have every thing he'd done, talked about on the phone, texted, whatever. And he was gone from the campaign but maintained contacts with associates in the Trump Administration. After the election and Trump was in the White house. NYT reporting claimed Trump supposedly disclosed classified information to Russia, Caputo told the AP about leaks from within the Trump Administration to the media: "This has all the markings of a coordinated, silent coup." Caputo said to USA Today that he attributed the leaks to "disaffected members of the Stop Trump movement." He called them "anti-Trump zealots"

So this guy didn't go into hiding. Also after digging, he use to work for Roger Stone. Caputo lived in Russia from 1995-2000 as an advisor to Boris Yeltsin. So this guy was no wallflower. Still digging on this guy.
Code 7 10-42
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Point is he has no ties to Manafort or Page. I'd bet money he never spoke to them.
Page, maybe not. But remember, Manafort was originally brought on to manage the delegate operation for the convention. So they may have overlapped there.

One other point, Trump's lawyers have always been cooperating with Mueller, including producing a ton of documents including emails (texts, I'm not sure but consider it likely). So, it isn't safe to assume everything Mueller has he got through some type of surveillance, legal or not.

Just a quibble.

Carry on.

ETA: The Roger Stone stuff is interesting though.
RoscoePColtrane
Yeah I missed that timeline overlap

After returning to the states Caputo was called by "his former mentor Roger Stone" who convinced him to move to Miami Beach, and then helped Caputo found his media advising company Michael Caputo Public Relations. Caputo moved back to Europe in 2007 while advising some politician's campaign for parliament in Ukraine briefly. This guy has been around.
Code 7 10-42
SeMgCo87
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Point is he has no ties to Manafort or Page. I'd bet money he never spoke to them.
Page, maybe not. But remember, Manafort was originally brought on to manage the delegate operation for the convention. So they may have overlapped there.

One other point, Trump's lawyers have always been cooperating with Mueller, including producing a ton of documents including emails (texts, I'm not sure but consider it likely). So, it isn't safe to assume everything Mueller has he got through some type of surveillance, legal or not.

Just a quibble.

Carry on.

ETA: The Roger Stone stuff is interesting though.
So, do you still think William Wallace treatment for this pack of jackals is inappropriate?

Asking for a friend, as it were...
fasthorse05
FriscoKid said:

After Hillary lost they knew the dirt would come out. I think Mueller was appointed to muddy the water as much as possible so the average person didn't know what to believe. It's IG vs SC.
You know, your comment kind of sounds like the SC is gatekeeper of the establishment, so to speak, instead of doing what they're supposed to do.

Unfortunately, I kind of agree with you, and really never thought of it this way. Between Caputo saying the Dems suing every Republican they can into oblivion (which would be fine with every single Dem in the country), and the SC carrying the torch for Dem establishment (along with a few nitwit Republicans), I now want Sessions to go, and have a new AG appoint an SC that's as ballsy as Mueller.

I suspect it's the only way this stuff gets exposed. I know an SC would take about two years, with the massive amount of information out there, but I hope the IG report cuts off about 6-10 months of that.
Hate is how progressives sustain themselves. Without hate, introspection begins to slip into the progressive's consciousness, threatening the progressive with the truth: that their ideas and opinions are illogical, hypocritical, dangerous, and asinine.
This is backed by data.
RoscoePColtrane
Public disembowelment while alive might be a bit much, but it's a thought
Code 7 10-42
aggiehawg
AG
Back to Manafort. Had forgotten about this CNN report from last fall:

Quote:

The FBI then restarted the surveillance after obtaining a new FISA warrant that extended at least into early this year.

Sources say the second warrant was part of the FBI's efforts to investigate ties between Trump campaign associates and suspected Russian operatives. Such warrants require the approval of top Justice Department and FBI officials, and the FBI must provide the court with information showing suspicion that the subject of the warrant may be acting as an agent of a foreign power.

It is unclear when the new warrant started. The FBI interest deepened last fall because of intercepted communications between Manafort and suspected Russian operatives, and among the Russians themselves, that reignited their interest in Manafort, the sources told CNN. As part of the FISA warrant, CNN has learned that earlier this year, the FBI conducted a search of a storage facility belonging to Manafort. It's not known what they found.

The conversations between Manafort and Trump continued after the President took office, long after the FBI investigation into Manafort was publicly known, the sources told CNN. They went on until lawyers for the President and Manafort insisted that they stop, according to the sources.
https://www.cnn.com/2017/09/18/politics/paul-manafort-government-wiretapped-fisa-russians/index.html

Yet, the Special Counsel promises the court in Virginia they have no records responsive to Manafort's request?

Which is it?
RoscoePColtrane

The FBI Is in Crisis. It's Worse Than You Think

https://ti.me/2HK7V3j

Quote:

The Justice Department's Inspector General, Michael Horowitz, will soon release a much-anticipated assessment of Democratic and Republican charges that officials at the FBI interfered in the 2016 presidential campaign. That year-long probe, sources familiar with it tell TIME, is expected to come down particularly hard on former FBI director James Comey, who is currently on a high-profile book tour. It will likely find that Comey breached Justice Department protocols in a July 5, 2016, press conference when he criticized Hillary Clinton for using a private email server as Secretary of State even as he cleared her of any crimes, the sources say. The report is expected to also hit Comey for the way he reopened the Clinton email probe less than two weeks before the election, the sources say.

The report closely follows an earlier one in April by Horowitz, which showed that the ousted deputy director of the FBI, Andrew McCabe, had lied to the bureau's internal investigations branch to cover up a leak he orchestrated about Clinton's family foundation less than two weeks before the election. (The case has since been referred to the U.S. Attorney's office in Washington, D.C., for potential prosecution.) Another IG report in March found that FBI retaliation against internal whistle-blowers was continuing despite years of bureau pledges to fix the problem. Last fall, Horowitz found that the FBI wasn't adequately investigating "high-risk" employees who failed polygraph tests.
Code 7 10-42
aggiehawg
AG
Actually what I find most interesting is the decline in convictions. FBI agents no longer have credibility with jurors. And that has been happening over a longer period of time.

Part of that might stem from the failures on 9/11. But I think the erosion really began after the Patriot Act and the intersection between the counter-intelligence division of the FBI, the NSA and CIA and the revelations of Snowden. Has bred an innate distrust of our surveillance state.
RoscoePColtrane
Yeah I was just reading over that again. The article is decent, I disagree of their criticism of Trump's attacks on the FBI, I think he hasn't enough. But a lot in that article. The whiney video is pathetic
Code 7 10-42
MouthBQ98
AG
So, if the FISA warrants were obtained by deceiving the courts, and virtually ALL of the intelligence turned criminal investigation's evidence was obtained based on those fraudulent and probably also abusively used warrants, isn't virtually all of the SC's evidence garbage?
RoscoePColtrane
MouthBQ98 said:

So, if the FISA warrants were obtained by deceiving the courts, and virtually ALL of the intelligence turned criminal investigation's evidence was obtained based on those fraudulent and probably also abusively used warrants, isn't virtually all of the SC's evidence garbage?
Fruit of the poison tree..
Code 7 10-42
aggiehawg
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Not necessarily. Lost in all of this is the huge amount of cooperation Mueller has received from Trump's White House and former campaign staffers and his family. They have turned over documents, email chains, and other communications to not only Mueller but to the House and Senate committees. That stuff is legit.

That having been said, if the original appointment of Mueller was fraudulent (we aren't there yet) that could change the calculus as to the material voluntarily produced as they were procured under false pretenses.

MouthBQ98
AG
If the Mueller team had "everything", they could be the source of most of the leaks as they came across them while pouring through the vast volumes of data.
RoscoePColtrane
Talk about a reach

Code 7 10-42
aggiehawg
AG
And the FEC should address it with a fine...right after the Hillary campaign pays their fines for all of their violations.
Nosmo
AG
I've seen several post related to the "1.2 million documents". Apparently the relevant number of documents are much smaller. More like 30,000. Still a large number.

Quote:

Since January, more than two dozen FBI staff have been assisting the department in producing, "on a rolling basis," documents that are "responsive" to the committee's "broad request," Prior said, noting that Justice has provided 3,000 documents of the roughly 30,000 it believes are responsive to the committees' inquiries.
http://freebeacon.com/politics/goodlatte-subpoenas-justice-documents-related-clinton-probes/

FbgTxAg
AG
RoscoePColtrane said:

Talk about a reach

Where's that article about the Clinton Foundation 70 Million fraud, or the one about Obama's campaign paying $700,000 in fines for campaign violations?

I swear hypocrisy is the absolute worst.
aggiehawg
AG
Nosmo said:

I've seen several post related to the "1.2 million documents". Apparently the relevant number of documents are much smaller. More like 30,000. Still a large number.

Quote:

Since January, more than two dozen FBI staff have been assisting the department in producing, "on a rolling basis," documents that are "responsive" to the committee's "broad request," Prior said, noting that Justice has provided 3,000 documents of the roughly 30,000 it believes are responsive to the committees' inquiries.
http://freebeacon.com/politics/goodlatte-subpoenas-justice-documents-related-clinton-probes/

The 1.2 million is the number associated with IG Horowitz's investigation, not the House or Senate committees. BTW, those committees have only seen a sliver of what Horowitz has reportedly amassed.
FbgTxAg
AG
Question - Can Horowitz investigate the ongoing investigation into Cohen?
oysterbayAG
AG
Don't count Manafort out just yet.
(1) Manafort is probably the slickest of the slick Swamp Creatures
(2) Rosenstein is a mediocre bureaucratic government so called lawyer
(3) Manafort's lead lawyer, Kevin Downing is as smart, tough and experienced as they come, and then some.
RoscoePColtrane
And the DOJ was delivered a classified House Intel Committee letter & then a subpoena on Monday demanding docs related to a new line of inquiry about the FBI's Trump investigation. Deadline for complying with the subpoena was Thursday afternoon, & DOJ flouted it. Rosey is just going to go into ignore mode now I guess. After his little pompous grandstand where he was speaking, touting "He won't be exhorted." Well it's time to crank up the heat then. Hold him in Contempt and go from there. I'm thinking if I'm POTUS and my acting AG was just found in contempt, it's ground to be fired, and walk him to the door and take his credentials.
Code 7 10-42
aggiehawg
AG
jjeffers1 said:

Question - Can Horowitz investigate the ongoing investigation into Cohen?
In theory, yes. He can ask to see the files from SDNY. But he isn't a judge and cannot intervene unless he finds something completely outrageous and feels he has to tell the judge about it.
fasthorse05
I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's about time for Frank Church to be dug up, and let loose on the FBI (along with all of the other alphabet agencies).

I suppose that's kind of what's happening now, but every day brings a new revelation of deceit and arrogance. Supposedly, arrogance and self-awareness don't go together very well!
Hate is how progressives sustain themselves. Without hate, introspection begins to slip into the progressive's consciousness, threatening the progressive with the truth: that their ideas and opinions are illogical, hypocritical, dangerous, and asinine.
This is backed by data.
Nosmo
AG
From the article:

Quote:

The House Judiciary Committee on Thursday subpoenaed the Justice Department for documents related to internal DOJ and FBI decisions in the investigation of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's private email server, as well as potential abuses of laws governing the surveillance of members of Trump presidential campaign.

Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R., Va.), who chairs the panel, said he has grown increasingly frustrated by the DOJ's unresponsiveness to his requests for more than 1.2 million documents related to the FBI investigation into Clinton's email.
So is this overlap of the 1.2 million?
aggiehawg
AG
Nosmo said:

From the article:

Quote:

The House Judiciary Committee on Thursday subpoenaed the Justice Department for documents related to internal DOJ and FBI decisions in the investigation of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's private email server, as well as potential abuses of laws governing the surveillance of members of Trump presidential campaign.

Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R., Va.), who chairs the panel, said he has grown increasingly frustrated by the DOJ's unresponsiveness to his requests for more than 1.2 million documents related to the FBI investigation into Clinton's email.
So is this overlap of the 1.2 million?
Essentially, yes. But I think that is misleading. Horowitz's investigation encompasses both the DOJ and FBI files on Hillary-gate. Not just 1.2 million from the FBI alone, as I understand it.

Clearer?
Nosmo
AG
Got it.

Thanks Mrs. Hawg

PS: I think this article is in line with what you were referencing:

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/381901-house-judiciary-conservatives-infuriated-doj-missed-subpoena

Quote:

DOJ spokesman Ian Prior said in a statement at the time the subpoena was issued last month that officials are carefully combing page-by-page through the tranche of documents to redact sensitive case information.

He also pushed back on the breadth of the document request, saying the DOJ believes there are 30,000 documents relevant to the committee's inquiry and describing the 1.2 million document request as "substantial."

Lawmakers are eager to review over a million documents examined by the DOJ's inspector general, Michael Horowitz, who has separately been leading an investigation into the FBI's conduct during the election.
This is also why the public is having a hard time wrapping their mind around all of this. So many moving parts.
First Page Last Page
Page 323 of 1408

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.