Shooting in Las Vegas

861,073 Views | 4892 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMX Bandit
backintexas2013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are there cameras in the stairway?
Tom Doniphon
Ag for Life said:

Tom Doniphon said:

I can't figure out why a guy that's about to shoot 500 rounds would knock the window out with a hammer anyway.... why not just shoot it out? A window falling 32 stories will generally raise suspicions whether shot out or hammered.

My guess is he did both; shoot to start the hole, hammer to enlarge it if needed

Could also explain the really faint sound of the initial shots, the pause, and then the much louder sound of the following volleys.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
backintexas2013 said:

Apparently there are no cameras anywhere but ground floor according to 2013 article.
What is there now? Anyone been there?
TexasAggie_02
AG
Tom Doniphon said:

I can't figure out why a guy that's about to shoot 500 rounds would knock the window out with a hammer anyway.... why not just shoot it out? A window falling 32 stories will generally raise suspicions whether shot out or hammered.

Glass is really thick, and people at the concert will hear the gun shots before he's ready.
backintexas2013
AG
So why did he prop the stair door open? What was the reasoning for that?
DirtyMikesBoys
AG
The graphic of the room I saw had those other two rooms attached, not blocked off like the black line indicates here. Is this accurate?
LoudestWHOOP!
AG

Does not look like tempered glass breakage.
I thought I heard the MB had Hurricane-proof glass, but cannot verify. (laminated glass)
If it is hurricane glass that would be 2 panes of glass with durable plastic sandwiched in-between.
That would be exhausting to break out 2 windows if so.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
backintexas2013 said:

So why did he prop the stair door open? What was the reasoning for that?
I don't know unless he was trying to fit the screwed on bracket.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
HoustonAg15 said:

The graphic of the room I saw had those other two rooms attached, not blocked off like the black line indicates here. Is this accurate?
Yes, he was supposed to have the attached bedroom with the extra broken window.
Secolobo
AG
Was the crime scene altered with the position of the curtains? Tough to shoot with either inside building ac air pressure or outside effect of wind blowing. Zoom in to the above pic.
unmade bed
North Dallas Forty oz. said:

Quote:

Questions: where exactly was the drilling and did Campos knock on the door when he heard the drilling? If so and he got fired upon by 200 rounds how did he get hit once?
It sounds like Campos didn't knock. At 6:45 in the press conference video:
Quote:

Reporter: And he knocked because of the drilling?
Lombardo: No. I never--there's never been anything out in the public forum about knocking.

The way Lombardo answered all the Campos related questions yesterday was just weird as hell.
DanilooAG05
Here's what I don't get about the adjacent room. There was an article last week about an Australian man saying that he was staying in room 32-134 the night of the shooting. This room is the adjoining room that had the second window busted out. The suite was room 32-135.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4940470/Australian-man-staying-door-Las-Vegas-shooter.html

The man says that he was not in his room at the time of the shooting. At first I assumed they had the room numbers wrong, but the article states that "the police used controlled explosives to enter room 32134" to locate Paddock.

There was also another article about a man from Kansas who was staying on the 31st floor in the room just below Paddock. He was in room 31-134 and adjoining room 31-135 and the article again states that the shooter was in rooms 32-134 and adjoining room 32-135.

www.kansascity.com/news/local/article177047656.html

So, did Paddock have both rooms rented, or was he only in 32-135 and somehow managed to get into 32-134 to break the window? If so, why go to that kind of trouble? It makes no sense to me. Maybe the articles are just getting the room numbers wrong. Add it to the growing list of things that don't add up.

It was also interesting in the second article that the man on the 31st floor stated that he could hear the investigators walking around upstairs above him until about 1:30 am and then that the SWAT team came through his room at 4:00 am. Why would SWAT be making a sweep through other floors 5 hours later?
BlueMiles
AG
I know from listening to the scanner that they searched every room on every floor of MB, after the shooting, looking for any additional gunmen.
stetson
AG
MW03 said:

One thing I still don't get is why the adjacent room? If his goal was to shoot the tanks from an East facing room, his suite had East facing windows that would have given him marginally the same angle on the tanks, especially if those were the first shots designed to ignite the tanks and he took his time lining up the shot. Deciding to approach that from an adjoining room seems like adding an unnecessary encumbrance if his plan was to get off as many rounds as possible. Not only would it take time to run between rooms, but it also created a second entry point he'd need to defend if he intended to barricade up. Unless he didn't care about a stand off and planned all along to off himself at the first site of cops, but then why the escape plan?

Exactly. I posted a link to a video a couple pages back taken by a guy that previously stayed in that suite. He walks us through the entire suite to include the view outside the windows. The left window has clear fire on both the tanks and the crowd. The right (NE) window would have gave him better fire down the strip, so maybe that was his intent, but never got that far.
Ag In Ok
AG
How was his exfil plan going to address removing all of the rifles, magazines, cartridges, etc let alone have some measure of masking or delaying his identification while he left.
I at first thought that was the goal of the fuel tanks, though even then he still had a lot of work for one man to do. If he had an exit planned, there is a lot more to this story. Or his exit plan was an epic shootout, similar to the bankrobbers in LA a while back. Or from the movie Heat.
stetson
AG
Premium said:

Doesn't every keystroke, every conversation, everything about everyone get stored in the gov. cloud? I find it impossible for the FBI to not find a motive.
Don't want to disclose it? Paddock was working with the Feds and then went off the reservation?
MW03
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

bmks270 said:

So... why did Paddock want 2 rooms...? He could have done it all from one room.

Why did he knock out two windows?

I know the guy is crazy, but I just can't imagine him doing things without some thought behind it...
Multiple positions to shoot from? If he got pinned down in one location with overwhelming firepower he could move to the other and resume firing? It's so elementary and simple to understand.

This just raises more questions in my mind about the inconsistencies associated with this thing. He understands two shooting positions, but why put one in the adjoining room? He is prepared to change vantages in the event he's met with firepower in position one, but he stops shooting with a thousand rounds remaining fifteen minutes in despite not being confronted with a breach attempt? He tries to barricade the stairs and does barricade the suite, but leaves the adjacent room door unobstructed as though the stairs wouldn't be sealed in the event SWAT made it to the 32nd floor?

Maybe his exit strategy had to do with firing from the suite, then holing up in the adjacent room to make his egress as an "innocent hotel guest unlucky enough to be next to the shooter". But if so, did he book both rooms in his own name? And why fire from your safety suite when you could have just as easily fired from an East facing window within the same suite?

I suppose he could have planned to retreat into the adjacent room for a standoff in the event of a breach on the suite, but I still don't see any tactical advantage to keying authorities into the fact that he had the adjoining suite occupied. Certainly, SWAT had a floor map and counted the windows IMMEDIATELY and understood he had taken two rooms.

Just bizarre behavior for someone supposedly super smart. Then again, he thought shooting the tanks would ignite them despite being a pilot, so maybe he was just a dumbass after all.

Either way, the 2nd room is real hinky to me.
DirtyMikesBoys
AG
Trying to wrap my head around the new timeline, it makes the story below sound stupid almost. Is anything false in this summary?

Paddock checked in on the 25th. On the night of the 28th, he set up cameras, which alerted him that a security guard was in the hallway. Unknown to Paddock, the security guard was checking on an unrelated door-ajar alarm. After seeing the guard in the hallway on his cameras, he shoots 200 times through the door and wounds said security guard.

In the six minutes after shooting the guard, Paddock hammers out two windows in two separate, but internally-attached rooms and turns his attention outside. In the 11 minutes after the windows were knocked out, Paddock shoots jet fuel tanks that don't explode and hundreds of people at the concert below.

Despite having thousands of unused rounds, many functioning guns, an escape plan, and no police presence in the hallway, Paddock shoots himself. The end.
TexasAggie_02
AG
MW03 said:

i didn't realize that the stair well was right there next to the suite.

the door to the adjoining room is directly across from the stairwell.

If he hadn't supposedly barricaded the stairwell shut, you could almost have an escape route from the adjoining room. once SWAT enters the suite, you then bolt from the adjoining room to the stairwell in your fake uniform or whatever.
agracer
AG
backintexas2013 said:

Not usually. Maybe at the bottom exit. But just opening the stairway will not usually trigger any alarm. It's the bottom door that exists outside the building that will alarm. They usually have signs on them "alarm will sound if opened".
GCP12
AG
HoustonAg15 said:

Trying to wrap my head around the new timeline, it makes the story below sound stupid almost. Is anything false in this summary?

Paddock checked in on the 25th. On the night of the 28th, he set up cameras, which alerted him that a security guard was in the hallway. Unknown to Paddock, the security guard was checking on an unrelated door-ajar alarm. After seeing the guard in the hallway on his cameras, he shoots 200 times through the door and wounds said security guard.

In the six minutes after shooting the guard, Paddock hammers out two windows in two separate, but internally-attached rooms and turns his attention outside. In the 11 minutes after the windows were knocked out, Paddock shoots jet fuel tanks that don't explode and hundreds of people at the concert below.

Despite having thousands of unused rounds, many functioning guns, an escape plan, and no police presence in the hallway, Paddock shoots himself. The end.
Sounds about right. I guess we're done here.

DirtyMikesBoys
AG
Positioning the cart in front of the other room's door tells me he didn't plan on going out that way.
TexasAggie_02
AG
yeah, just saying that was an option.
AggiePetro07
AG
It could have been moved by SWAT or the guard.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It's at least plausible. It's not like it takes much to scoot the cart over a foot to go past it. It may have already been scooted over far enough to slip past it.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think a lot of this just speaks more to "he was just crazy". There was clearly a lot of planning, but not clear-headed planning. His weapon count was overkill. His tannerite plan may have been abandoned already - maybe he decided he couldn't park the car in a strategic spot without risking his whole plan being foiled. Or maybe it was going to be a secondary hit (or diversion) after escape. The fuel tank idea was moronic. And setting up his warning/blocking system may very well have drawn the guard to him in the first place. Evil but not that genius.
ATX_AG_08
AG
MW03 said:

ATX_AG_08 said:

bmks270 said:

So... why did Paddock want 2 rooms...? He could have done it all from one room.

Why did he knock out two windows?

I know the guy is crazy, but I just can't imagine him doing things without some thought behind it...
Multiple positions to shoot from? If he got pinned down in one location with overwhelming firepower he could move to the other and resume firing? It's so elementary and simple to understand.

This just raises more questions in my mind about the inconsistencies associated with this thing. He understands two shooting positions, but why put one in the adjoining room? He is prepared to change vantages in the event he's met with firepower in position one, but he stops shooting with a thousand rounds remaining fifteen minutes in despite not being confronted with a breach attempt? He tries to barricade the stairs and does barricade the suite, but leaves the adjacent room door unobstructed as though the stairs wouldn't be sealed in the event SWAT made it to the 32nd floor?

Maybe his exit strategy had to do with firing from the suite, then holing up in the adjacent room to make his egress as an "innocent hotel guest unlucky enough to be next to the shooter". But if so, did he book both rooms in his own name? And why fire from your safety suite when you could have just as easily fired from an East facing window within the same suite?

I suppose he could have planned to retreat into the adjacent room for a standoff in the event of a breach on the suite, but I still don't see any tactical advantage to keying authorities into the fact that he had the adjoining suite occupied. Certainly, SWAT had a floor map and counted the windows IMMEDIATELY and understood he had taken two rooms.

Just bizarre behavior for someone supposedly super smart. Then again, he thought shooting the tanks would ignite them despite being a pilot, so maybe he was just a dumbass after all.

Either way, the 2nd room is real hinky to me.

1. He is prepared to change vantages in the event he's met with firepower in position one,
2. but he stops shooting with a thousand rounds remaining fifteen minutes in despite not being confronted with a breach

These two things are not related. You're implying that because he had the most basic understanding of a firefight that there is no way he wouldn't mentally get scared and off himself prematurely. I don't see how you can draw a connection between these two ideas. Learning basics from the history channel is not going to mentally prepare you for a real combat situation

I'm sure his greatest fear was being taken alive and after the security guard came he got scared about the impending breach and didn't want to take any chances of being taken alive. He was scared.

But if so, did he book both rooms in his own name? And why fire from your safety suite when you could have just as easily fired from an East facing window within the same suite?

Who cares if he booked both rooms under his name. In the heat of the moment, when the police were trying to determine with certainty where the fire was coming from, I doubt anybody looked up who's name the rooms were under. It was in the heat of battle and transpired rather quickly. It was "organized" chaos.

Certainly, SWAT had a floor map and counted the windows IMMEDIATELY and understood he had taken two rooms.

Swat, with certainty picked up a floor map? In a matter of minutes this all went down. You think they ran by the lobby and snagged a floor map? Looked up who's name the rooms were under, etc.? Watch the damn video posted earlier in this thread. The first officers that made it to his room had little to no info, because they were trying to get to and stop an ACTIVE shooter as quickly as possible.

The manner in which some of you are making assumptions is disturbing.
Cage_Stage
AG
Quote:

Alternatively:
  • having a plan that went off the rails from the start because of the meddlesome security guard,
  • having shot thousands of rounds over the preceding 11 minutes (something that would've be truly taxing for a 64 yo man who took very poor care of himself),
  • with an increasingly dispersed crowd below making it more difficult to inflict casualties, and
  • with police clearly in the hotel and closing quickly (in fact, arriving within the next 2 minutes),
Paddock shoots himself. The end.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Quote:

Swat, with certainty picked up a floor map? In a matter of minutes this all went down. You think they ran by the lobby and snagged a floor map?
No. obviously, what happened was that Chloe, back at Division, hacks into the city inspector's database, and retrieves the building schematics. She then uploads them to Jack Bauer's blackberry with a real time heatmap from the satellite feed she commandeered from the CIA.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Not sure if it was Chloe. It might have been Garcia.

TexasAggie_02
AG
Chloe > Garcia
DannyDuberstein
AG
North Dallas Forty oz. said:

Quote:

Alternatively:
  • having a plan that went off the rails from the start because of the meddlesome security guard,
  • having shot thousands of rounds over the preceding 11 minutes (something that would've be truly taxing for a 64 yo man who took very poor care of himself),
  • with an increasingly dispersed crowd below making it more difficult to inflict casualties, and
  • with police clearly in the hotel and closing quickly (in fact, arriving within the next 2 minutes),
Paddock shoots himself. The end.
Yep. I think the physical toll all that bumpstock firing would have taken on an old tub of **** like this guy is an unmentioned and underappreciated aspect of this event.

And again, while the scale of this thing was different, in the big picture, it really wasn't that unique to previous mass shootings. Many have taken measures to maximize the kill, and they don't wait until the last possible moment to kill themselves.
DirtyMikesBoys
AG
That is true. I can't discount the fact that he could see the police cars pulling in below.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Suicide photos just seem to be oddly laid out.
I'm still curious how this suicide looked when it happened?

Was Paddock sitting on the floor straight legged with the bipod rifle over his left floor when firing the revolver...

A revolver which is found greater than arms length over his head?
I removed the gore while leaving the top of his head for reference to the revolver.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'd imagine the cops may have moved the weapon. The fact he shot himself through the mouth and out the back/top of his head doesn't leave much room for suicide doubt in my mind.
First Page Last Page
Page 106 of 140

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.