Shooting in Las Vegas

883,114 Views | 4892 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BMX Bandit
TexasAggie_02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

AG 2000' said:

I know at least some swat units in big cities are trained in firing from a chopper. I would assume they'd have that training in Vegas given the buildings on the strip.
Yeah, eventually you could do that--although IIRC they tried something like that with Whitman and he was able to hold them off by shooting at the aircraft, although it definitely limited his ability to target pedestrians on the ground.

That's a time consuming operation, however. You need a pilot, a sniper and a helicopter, none of which are presumably in the same location when the call comes.

I think the reality is that in any event like this, the vast majority of casualties are going to occur before it is possible to mount an effective response. Shooter's potential targets are going to rapidly decline as people run away from where he is.
quad copter with small explosive. like what they did with the Dallas Shooter, except not with a bomb squad robot.
Mort Rainey
The Debt said:

It shocks no one that a native books a hotel in his hometown?

Maybe I'm just a miser, but I've never felt the fiscal liberalness to throw $100 at a room when I have a bed 9 miles away.
Hmm, a guy who lives in vegas bought a hotel in the town he lives in? You're right, must be a mass shooter...

What are you trying to say here? That they should've caught him beforehand because of this "red flag"? Or are you confused as to why he didn't save more money the week before he blew his brains out?
OnlyForNow
AG
$100? He got a corner suite on the 32nd floor.

He threw down a few grand.
OnlyForNow
AG
That's my thought.

Identify target and take him out.
sts7049
AG
never heard of a staycation?

i don't really understand your point though. hotels rarely question "why" when a guest checks in, and given that it's vegas someone wanting to stay and gamble instead of going home is a perfectly reasonable answer.
Charpie
AG
I booked a hotel room 2.5 miles away from my house last month.

The AC went out.

People book hotel rooms for all different reasons. When my dad was still alive I'd book rooms in my name all the time for them here in town
TexasAggie_02
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Vegas porters and staff are probably used to don't ask don't tell regarding what might be in baggage, too.

The thing that blows my mind besides the horribleness of it in general is how he was able to gauge the drop at that distance in the dark shooting at a down angle without tracers and stay on target, even one that big. Was he checking with a spotting scope?
30,000 ppl packed into 9 acres. i don't think he really had to judge anything.
akm91
AG
Charpie said:

Do not disturb signs?
I guess I don't see how 3 days of no housekeeping for a corner suite would not raise questions.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
White Liberals=The Worst
The Debt said:

Maybe I'm just a miser, but I've never felt the fiscal liberalness to throw $100 at a room when I have a bed 9 miles away.
I am sure people do this quite a bit in Vegas. My wife and I did a 3-night staycation at a nice place in Houston last year. Was probably 7-8 miles from our house. I bet it's very common in Vegas.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Has it been speculated why he picked that hotel? I mean if he wanted to make a statement go to Trump Hotel?
Mort Rainey
Wycliffe_03 said:

The Debt said:

I am sure people do this quite a bit in Vegas. My wife and I did a 3-night staycation at a nice place in Houston last year. Was probably 7-8 miles from our house. I bet it's very common in Vegas.
...what exactly are you planning buddy????
Very Tolerant Nice Guy
akm91 said:

Charpie said:

Do not disturb signs?
I guess I don't see how 3 days of no housekeeping for a corner suite would not raise questions.
dude, all sorts of shady stuff happens in vegas people don't want house keeping seeing. They don't ask questions when they don't need to. If there's a DND sign up; they won't enter without a reason.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
The Debt said:

I've booked hotels in my own town Dallas many many times. Weekend staycation without kids and also for special occasions like anniversary and special events for proximity and convenience.
nomad2007
AG
Wycliffe_03 said:

The Debt said:

Plus it was 80 miles from his house. I get hotel rooms a few times a year in Fort Worth and live less than 80 miles away from there. It's not that uncommon.
Mort Rainey
MsDoubleD81 said:

Has it been speculated why he picked that hotel? I mean if he wanted to make a statement go to Trump Hotel?
I'm going to guess because it gave a great overhead view of that concert...just a hunch.

No one hangs out near the Trump hotel, it isn't near anything
The Debt
Did you check in for him?

And yes I've heard of a staycation, but unless you plan to stay in bed for the duration of the vacation, the money for the hotel would be better spent on massages, dining, activities, alcohol etc.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I traveled with Pelican cases of all shapes and sizes containing computer equipment for 7 years. I got funny looks from time to time. Most people assumed it was photography equipment. At hotels, no one even gave me a second look and for the most part the bellman never asked to help, because I am assuming usually if you have something in a Pelican case, you don't want someone else handling it.

For the most part it was completely ignored, except when I carried the smaller ones on to the plane, then people got itchy.
BigHitterDaLama
MsDoubleD81 said:

Dumbest post I have read on the internet in a LONG time. Congrats.

Guessing you have never been to Las Vegas.
TexasAggie_02
AG
The Debt said:

its Vegas. I'm sure lots of people cheat, get prostitutes, do drugs, etc, and would prefer not to do those things at home. Also, people that gamble a lot may not want to have to drive home after drinking and gambling all night.

Families might like to see the sights and be pampered at a resorts instead of going home.

Lots of reasons for people to stay in a hotel near home.
CanyonAg77
AG
The Debt said:

It was 90 miles away.
FTAG 2000
AG
The Debt said:

He lived 70 miles away and was a gambler. You're talking about a room in Vegas here too, lots do it to get away.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
MsDoubleD81 said:

It was adjacent to the festival concert. Trump hotel is nowhere near it.

And ummmmmm no indication of any political angle yet so that's quite a leap to assume it involves Trump in some way.
sts7049
AG
not enough suspicion for a hotel to think someone is plotting a massacre. i don't think we want hotel cleaning staff acting as screeners for potential terrorist activity.

the guy could have just closed up his suitcases and locked them and allowed them to clean the room a couple of the days before. i do that whenever i stay in hotels.
aggielostinETX
AG
You don't go through the lobby to get from the parking to rooms at Mandalay. And people are rolling in all kinds of crap all hours of the day.
TTUArmy
There is a whole lot about this shooting in Las Vegas that just doesn't pass the smell test for me. The usual angles for motive, even insanity, don't seem to register a pass on this one.

We are all going to need more information on this.

T&P's to the victims and families.
The Collective
AG
Wife and I book a night in our city at least twice per year. Parents stay at our place with kids. I doubt this is uncommon.
BlueAg2003
AG
Quote:

And yes I've heard of a starvation, but unless you plan to stay in bed for the duration of the vacation, the money for the hotel would be better spent on massages, dining, activities, alcohol etc.

Dude are you seriously on this thread telling people what to do with their time and money? Get a life.
aggielostinETX
AG
CJS4715 said:

Wife and I book a night in our city at least twice per year. Parents stay at our place with kids. I doubt this is uncommon.

We do the same.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
The Debt said:

Of course not, particularly in Vegas of all places.

Staying up until 3 am and getting drunk off your *** is normal and perfectly acceptable behavior there. It would be stranger to drive 80 miles home than get a room.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Thanks
annie88
AG
MsDoubleD81 said:

Probably because it was right next to where the concert was going to be held?
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
FTAG 2000
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

AG 2000' said:

I know at least some swat units in big cities are trained in firing from a chopper. I would assume they'd have that training in Vegas given the buildings on the strip.
Yeah, eventually you could do that--although IIRC they tried something like that with Whitman and he was able to hold them off by shooting at the aircraft, although it definitely limited his ability to target pedestrians on the ground.

That's a time consuming operation, however. You need a pilot, a sniper and a helicopter, none of which are presumably in the same location when the call comes.

I think the reality is that in any event like this, the vast majority of casualties are going to occur before it is possible to mount an effective response. Shooter's potential targets are going to rapidly decline as people run away from where he is.

SWAT was kicking down his door 15 minutes after the shooting started. The airport is right next to the Strip, and you assume there was at least one Vegas PD chopper either up as nightly patrol or on standby on the tarmac in case of a call out.
bobbranco
AG
BlueAg2003 said:

Quote:

And yes I've heard of a starvation, but unless you plan to stay in bed for the duration of the vacation, the money for the hotel would be better spent on massages, dining, activities, alcohol etc.

Dude are you seriously on this thread telling people what to do with their time and money? Get a life.

Look at his username.
Wizard
Smh at some of the questions being asked in here.
Gheez people, at least TRY to sound educated/halfway coherent.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

YokelRidesAgain said:

AG 2000' said:

quad copter with small explosive. like what they did with the Dallas Shooter, except not with a bomb squad robot.
You think that the Las Vegas PD has a drone with a bomb mounted on it ready to fly up 32 floors?

Plus, why wouldn't he just shoot it down?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
First Page Last Page
Page 21 of 140

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.