Question for Protestants

24,011 Views | 531 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by dermdoc
Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Yet, here we are in 2024 and there are STILL people that believe I am unable to read the Bible and discern for myself what it means.

No offense intended, but the historical score of the perspicuity of scripture is pretty poor.
The Banned
AgLiving06 said:

The Banned said:

AgLiving06 said:

The Banned said:

Thats a humongous document. I'll look through this later to see if maybe I find anything that changes my mind. As for the way you presented it, I'm not convinced.

1. You ignored Ambrose
2. He just removed her from conversation out of respect for Jesus? So he doesn't have the same respect for the apostles? He notes that she must have had some abundance of grace for the overcoming of sin that no one else had. Why not give a bit more of a nod to the men that Jesus founded the Church on. Why were they not noted for being so abundantly blessed in grace to help the world know about how sin was defeated? In my opinion, this is really reading what you want to into a fairly clear line.
3. You quote from chapter 47 conveniently leaves out Eve in the story of how sin came into the world. "By one man" sin entered the world. And now, when considering humans since, never could it be "said that he had no sin at all" it appears to me this is obviously a generalization, and likely proof texting on your part, but I may be wrong and I will read it in context.
4. The last paragraph will also be one I will search for context on. I could clip "one alone is there who was born without sin" or I can read all of the other qualifiers listed to describe Jesus that Mary would not have.

I'm not just tossing out your post as a whole, but those are my initial qualms. I'll read more when I have time.

Yeah...maybe instead of hunting out websites that cherry pick quotes you should actually read the Church Fathers....You might be surprised by what you find.

I do find it ironic, you accuse me of "quote clipping" when all you seemingly do is hunt websites.

But go ahead, what I pasted is the start of Chapter 57.

In fact, Here's the whole chapter...

Quote:

Chapter 57 [XXXV.]Turn to Neither Hand. Let us hold fast, then, the confession of this faith, without faltering or failure. One alone is there who was born without sin, in the likeness of sinful flesh, who lived without sin amid the sins of others, and who died without sin on account of our sins. "Let us turn neither to the right hand nor to the left."640 For to turn to the right hand is to deceive oneself, by saying that we are without sin; and to turn to the left is to surrender oneself to one's sins with a sort of impunity, in I know not how perverse and depraved a recklessness. "God indeed knoweth the ways on the right hand,"641 even He who alone is without sin, and is able to blot out our sins; "but the ways on the left hand are perverse,"642 in friendship with sins. Of such inflexibility were those youths of twenty years,643 who foretokened in figure God's new people; they entered the land of promise; they, it is said, turned neither to the right hand nor to the left.644 Now this age of twenty is not to be compared with the age of children's innocence, but if I mistake not, this number is the shadow and echo of a mystery. For the Old Testament has its excellence in the five books of Moses, while the New Testament is most refulgent in the authority of the four Gospels. These numbers, when multiplied together, reach to the number twenty: four times five, or five times four, are twenty. Such a people (as I have already said), instructed in the kingdom of heaven by the two Testamentsthe Old and the Newturning neither to the right hand, in a proud assumption of righteousness, nor to the left hand, in a reckless delight in sin, shall enter into the land of promise, where we shall have no longer either to pray that sins may be forgiven to us, or to fear that they may be punished in us, having been freed from them all by that Redeemer, who, not being "sold under sin,"645 "hath redeemed Israel out of all his iniquities,"646 whether committed in the actual life, or derived from the original transgression.

Your comment on Eve shows how much you're stretching. Eve was formed before the fall in the garden. That does not mean she didn't sin (as we know she did). So while she may have been formed before sin entered teh world, she fell. Nobody is excluded.

I've read the fathers. I'll always read it in context, with a page or two before and after what line i think are most powerful. If you want to say that i am only qualified to comment if ive read every page of every church father, I hope you hold yourself to the same standard.

It's abundantly clear to me that chapter 57 is exhorting all of us to belief in Jesus and to both avoid sin, and not be overly scrupulous, lest we believe we can earn our way to Heaven. None of this (and I mean none of it) has to do with Mary. I can not see how one could possibly elevate this to some sort of equal standing to what he
Specifically wrote about Mary. "Mary is ……." =\= "all men are….."

Brush away the Eve point all you want. He gives specific deference to Mary. If you want to use a passage where he can't even acknowledge there was a woman beside Adam as an equivalent, be my guest. But you're going to have to show me how a specific deference can be somehow negated by such a vague reference that the actual originator of sin is not named.

And you still have not shown me where Luther disavowed his belief that Mary was sinless at least 12 years prior to his death. I would love to see how he changed his views on this topic while the Bible didn't change at all. I

Giving deference to Eve does not equate to a claim she was sinless.

Everyone should give deference to Eve. She is clearly set aside in the Scriptures and should be honored for what she did.

But Augustine does not make an affirmative statement about her that I've seen, and he only equates Jesus or really God as being sinless. Your sources do not change that.

Btw...on Ambrose...most of the quotes you tried to use only talk of her virginity. Ambrose rights a whole book documenting the virginity of different women and what we can take away from that. It has nothing to do with sinlessness, and she's not the only woman used as an example. So again, a strikeout on your part.

I assume you mean deference to Mary and that was a typo? I show no deference towards Eve lol

It's clear we arent going to come to any sort of agreement. I don't see any of your points as holding any weight and you clearly see mine the same way. I'm going to drop it. I'll pray for you, you do the same for me and we'll all be on the same page one day.
AgLiving06
FTACo88-FDT24dad said:

AgLiving06 said:

FTACo88-FDT24dad said:

AgLiving06 said:

FTACo88-FDT24dad said:

AgLiving06 said:

Quo Vadis? said:

AgLiving06 said:

Quo Vadis? said:

AgLiving06 said:

Quo Vadis? said:

AgLiving06 said:

The Banned said:

AgPrognosticator said:

Faithful Ag said:

AgPrognosticator said:

If, however, used in the traditional Protestant context to describe perfection, "Holy Mary" would be incorrect because obviously Mary was far from perfect being a fallen sinner like the rest of us in need a His saving grace.
The bold is definitely a point of disagreement between Catholics and Protestants. We do believe Mary, through a special grace from God, was preserved and kept from any personal sin from her conception. Mary is the most Holy and most Blessed person ever created. Mary was not like the rest of us wicked and sinful people but her will was perfectly conformed to God's will through her son.

Whoa…

For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. I think that's rather clear.

Not trying to argue…just very different than my personal beliefs.

That is very helpful in explaining the elevation of Mary in Catholic teachings.

ETA further commentary: Protestants overwhelmingly condemned the promulgation of the immaculate conception and a sinless Mary as an exercise in papal power, and the doctrine itself as unscriptural, for it denied that all had sinned and rested on the Latin translation of Luke 1:28 (the "full of grace" passage) that the original Greek did not support. Protestants, therefore, teach that Mary was a sinner saved through grace, like all believers.

Don't have time to do a deep dive. Couple points:

- Luther believed in sinless Mary. As father of all Protestants, I don't know you can say Protestants overwhelmingly deny this teaching. Modern denominations, sure. But that's not a historical stance.

- Mary being sinless was not due to her work, but God's. Jesus, being sinless and perfect, would be best suited by a perfect, sinless "vessel" (feels terrible using that word for the Mother of God, but it the easiest to convey the message) so Mary should be sinless. How when all humans sin? The answer: God saved her from sin prior to her birth (we are saved after our birth) but He still did the saving. She still needed God as much as we do. He just acted in a different manner/timeline than He usually does.

A few house keeping items:

First, Luther is not a Pope. His beliefs aren't infallible. To be Lutheran, we don't have to agree with everything he said.

Second, I'm not sure why it would be surprising that a young Luther held views in alignment with Roman Catholics. He was Roman Catholic.

Third, most indications are his views changed as he grew older and, while he held to Mary's perpetual virginity, he did not hold to her sinlessness since that would be contradictory to Scripture.

Did he hold to Christ's sinlessness? Because that would be against scripture for the same reason that Mary's would be against scripture.

What? You're arguing the Scriptures don't show Christ was sinless?

I'm arguing that the scripture that says Mary is sinful includes Christ under the umbrella of "all" meaning it doesn't actually mean "all"

So you're contention is that Scripture is contradictory?

2 Corinthians 5:21 For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Paul clearly excludes Jesus, and only Jesus from claims that everyone has sinned.

Or said differently, Paul sees that God cannot sin, but all else have...Mary included.

Of course scripture is contradictory. As I said at the beginning of this thread, a literalist read through will have you thinking that salvation is a one time instantaneous sealing that cannot be undone, and another that is a process that can be derailed.

This is why the proper hermeneutic is needed to understand scripture, and why an authority is needed to provide such hermeneutic.

Wait...So your position is that God gave us His Word, but made it sufficiently confusing such that we mere mortals can't understand it?

That's a bold claim

10,000+ Protestant denominations are screaming evidence of the "unperspicacity " of scripture.

Nobody and I mean nobody takes serious the claims of "10,000 Protestant denominations."

Going to need to make a better argument than that.

Yeah, you're wrong. But let's reduce that to 100. The point is no less significant.

Here's the truth that you won't accept:

You have no way to define dogma or doctrine without resorting to your or someone else's personal opinion.

My personal opinion is most of what you believe is heretical. Prove me wrong without relying on someone's personal opinion.

Lets not overlook the fact you just dropped your number by 99%, which is absolutely significant.

Your "truth" like your estimation of denominations is also wrong and nonsensical.

Of course my doctrine is built on others. No Protestant, who is honest, doesn't. That's not problematic in the least. The difference is that I have scriptural support for my arguments and as that is the only place we find God's Word, I find quite a bit of comfort in that.

But here's another truth. Your arguments and Quo Vadis? are no different than an atheists. That "should" concern you. Arguing that Scripture contradicts itself is simply an atheists argument. It's also hugely problematic for you, and why Rome in the end is "Sola Ecclesia." Because if the Scriptures are fallible and contradict themselves, then how can you trust anything it says? You can no longer make arguments for Peter because that could simply be wrong.

What you argue is the best way to create atheists and that "should" scare you and supports of this. I hope you are open enough to see that.

You can't resort to a scripture that didn't come with a table of contents and doesn't interpret itself without resorting to your personal opinion. There's no way around it.

My arguments are nothing like what an atheist would argue. My argument is that Jesus established an apostolic church and promised that the gates of hell would not prevail against it and he gave Peter the keys and the authority to bind and loose and he gave all the apostles and their successors the great commission and gave them the divine authority to forgive or retain sins. That divinely protected and guided church gave us the same canon of the Bible that you base your entire religion upon, although some fallible person decided to remove 7 of the books because they didn't like them. By what authority was that done?

I know you don't believe or agree with any of that and that's your right. The difference between what you believe and what I believe is that your system has no way to infallibly determine anything beyond each person's subjective opinion. By what authority can any Protestant judge the validity of any other Christian's beliefs, dogmatic/doctrinal or otherwise? Other than resorting to their personal opinion, which is all you can do, they can't. Sola Scriptura can't get you there because it ultimately comes down to each person and their Bible and how that person interprets what he reads or is told.

That's fine. You do you . I'm not really interested in trying to persuade you.

I can absolutely, because you do the exact same thing. First because of the obvious fact that the Scriptures predate Rome. So Rome accepted the Scriptures that another group put together without any concern. Second, Jesus quoted those Scriptures, and yet there was "no table of contents" nor an infallible Church necessary.

So you're 0-2 right off the top.

But yes, your arguments are exactly what an athiest would say. If the Scriptures contradict themselves, then everything you said is questionable at best and could be entirely wrong. Lets not forget the obvious here as well. You are using your own personal judgement in deciding that the Roman Catholic Church is right. Which is no different than your claim of any Protestant group. The difference is we are at least honest about it.

Then you again show your ignorance with the tired line that "some fallible person decided to remove 7 of the books..." Nobody removed them, and the ancient Church and the Jews understood they had a place, but were not canon like the rest of the OT. Jerome, writer of the vulgate, made it clear the apocryphal books were in fact apocryphal.

---------------
To your last paragarph. That's just simply a straw man. Most Christians, whether Protestant, Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, or other believe the vast majority of the same things. That Jesus is God. That He was born from a virgin. That he lived a sinless life (yes this is Scriptural), that he was crucified by Pontius Pilot. That he was resurrected. We believe in the Trinity. We believe in eternal life to come in the presence of God.

But you have a problem. You claim the necessity of an infallible Church. You make a lot of claims. Here's the problem you have. Those that oppose your claims, aren't simply Protestants. So Sola Scriptura is not the issue here. The issue is your claims. The EO, Coptics, etc all dispute your claims. Your argument isn't with Protestants or some claim against Sola Scriptura, but against all traditions that disagree with you.

-----------------
But I also challenge your claims that we cannot know something infallible. The Scripture is clear in many places.

For example, as I pointed out, the Scripture is clear that Jesus knew no sin. That is something that God has made absolutely clear to mankind. You won't find any Christian that disagrees with it (I would hope).

So to argue that nothing can be infallible known from Scripture is to ignore the actual history of Scripture, which for most of its existence did not require a supposed infallible church.
Zobel
AG
Which writings are scriptures and how do you know?
AgLiving06
The Banned said:

AgLiving06 said:

The Banned said:

AgLiving06 said:

The Banned said:

Thats a humongous document. I'll look through this later to see if maybe I find anything that changes my mind. As for the way you presented it, I'm not convinced.

1. You ignored Ambrose
2. He just removed her from conversation out of respect for Jesus? So he doesn't have the same respect for the apostles? He notes that she must have had some abundance of grace for the overcoming of sin that no one else had. Why not give a bit more of a nod to the men that Jesus founded the Church on. Why were they not noted for being so abundantly blessed in grace to help the world know about how sin was defeated? In my opinion, this is really reading what you want to into a fairly clear line.
3. You quote from chapter 47 conveniently leaves out Eve in the story of how sin came into the world. "By one man" sin entered the world. And now, when considering humans since, never could it be "said that he had no sin at all" it appears to me this is obviously a generalization, and likely proof texting on your part, but I may be wrong and I will read it in context.
4. The last paragraph will also be one I will search for context on. I could clip "one alone is there who was born without sin" or I can read all of the other qualifiers listed to describe Jesus that Mary would not have.

I'm not just tossing out your post as a whole, but those are my initial qualms. I'll read more when I have time.

Yeah...maybe instead of hunting out websites that cherry pick quotes you should actually read the Church Fathers....You might be surprised by what you find.

I do find it ironic, you accuse me of "quote clipping" when all you seemingly do is hunt websites.

Quote:

Chapter 57 [XXXV.]Turn to Neither Hand. Let us hold fast, then, the confession of this faith, without faltering or failure. One alone is there who was born without sin, in the likeness of sinful flesh, who lived without sin amid the sins of others, and who died without sin on account of our sins. "Let us turn neither to the right hand nor to the left."640 For to turn to the right hand is to deceive oneself, by saying that we are without sin; and to turn to the left is to surrender oneself to one's sins with a sort of impunity, in I know not how perverse and depraved a recklessness. "God indeed knoweth the ways on the right hand,"641 even He who alone is without sin, and is able to blot out our sins; "but the ways on the left hand are perverse,"642 in friendship with sins. Of such inflexibility were those youths of twenty years,643 who foretokened in figure God's new people; they entered the land of promise; they, it is said, turned neither to the right hand nor to the left.644 Now this age of twenty is not to be compared with the age of children's innocence, but if I mistake not, this number is the shadow and echo of a mystery. For the Old Testament has its excellence in the five books of Moses, while the New Testament is most refulgent in the authority of the four Gospels. These numbers, when multiplied together, reach to the number twenty: four times five, or five times four, are twenty. Such a people (as I have already said), instructed in the kingdom of heaven by the two Testamentsthe Old and the Newturning neither to the right hand, in a proud assumption of righteousness, nor to the left hand, in a reckless delight in sin, shall enter into the land of promise, where we shall have no longer either to pray that sins may be forgiven to us, or to fear that they may be punished in us, having been freed from them all by that Redeemer, who, not being "sold under sin,"645 "hath redeemed Israel out of all his iniquities,"646 whether committed in the actual life, or derived from the original transgression.

Your comment on Eve shows how much you're stretching. Eve was formed before the fall in the garden. That does not mean she didn't sin (as we know she did). So while she may have been formed before sin entered teh world, she fell. Nobody is excluded.

I've read the fathers. I'll always read it in context, with a page or two before and after what line i think are most powerful. If you want to say that i am only qualified to comment if ive read every page of every church father, I hope you hold yourself to the same standard.

It's abundantly clear to me that chapter 57 is exhorting all of us to belief in Jesus and to both avoid sin, and not be overly scrupulous, lest we believe we can earn our way to Heaven. None of this (and I mean none of it) has to do with Mary. I can not see how one could possibly elevate this to some sort of equal standing to what he

Brush away the Eve point all you want. He gives specific deference to Mary. If you want to use a passage where he can't even acknowledge there was a woman beside Adam as an equivalent, be my guest. But you're going to have to show me how a specific deference can be somehow negated by such a vague reference that the actual originator of sin is not named.

And you still have not shown me where Luther disavowed his belief that Mary was sinless at least 12 years prior to his death. I would love to see how he changed his views on this topic while the Bible didn't change at all. I

Everyone should give deference to Eve. She is clearly set aside in the Scriptures and should be honored for what she did.

But Augustine does not make an affirmative statement about her that I've seen, and he only equates Jesus or really God as being sinless. Your sources do not change that.

Btw...on Ambrose...most of the quotes you tried to use only talk of her virginity. Ambrose rights a whole book documenting the virginity of different women and what we can take away from that. It has nothing to do with sinlessness, and she's not the only woman used as an example. So again, a strikeout on your part.

I assume you mean deference to Mary and that was a typo? I show no deference towards Eve lol

It's clear we arent going to come to any sort of agreement. I don't see any of your points as holding any weight and you clearly see mine the same way. I'm going to drop it. I'll pray for you, you do the same for me and we'll all be on the same page one day.

Yes, I meant Mary. Sorry. Was typing fast and mistyped.

The challenge is you've made claims. You've appealed to Church Fathers, specifically Augustine and Ambrose, as proof your claim is historical. Neither claim has held up and certainly Augustine makes more claims (as I've shown) that limit sinlessness to only Jesus (or God).

This ends up being the fundamental issue I have with Rome. Your claims are overstated. Where there is disagreement, it can almost always be traced to a lack of support in the ancient fathers, let alone Scripture.

So you will end up having to appeal to Rome as its own authority.
The Banned
AgLiving06 said:

The Banned said:

AgLiving06 said:

The Banned said:

AgLiving06 said:

The Banned said:

1. You ignored Ambrose

Quote:

Yes, I meant Mary. Sorry. Was typing fast and mistyped.

The challenge is you've made claims. You've appealed to Church Fathers, specifically Augustine and Ambrose, as proof your claim is historical. Neither claim has held up and certainly Augustine makes more claims (as I've shown) that limit sinlessness to only Jesus (or God).

This ends up being the fundamental issue I have with Rome. Your claims are overstated. Where there is disagreement, it can almost always be traced to a lack of support in the ancient fathers, let alone Scripture.

So you will end up having to appeal to Rome as its own authority.

Yet again you prove yourself to be one of (if not the only) Christian that is impossible to converse with on this board. I tried to give a tidy ending despite your multiple uncharitable posts.

You routinely ignore clear questions/statements, often times when they have been repeated. All the questions levied against you just disappear. It's annoying. When a poster believes you've misread something, you charge full steam ahead in restating your position, never clarifying the point that you are questioned on

You are extremely hostile. Most of the atheists/agnostics respond with more decorum than you do. It would appear that you believe Catholics as some sort of enemy that the world needs to be rid of. I'm used to this by now, but those are in person conversations where people tell me I'm an idolator in the heat of the moment. Here you have all the time in the world to type a response and you seem to actively choose to fight.

Let me be clear: I believe every counter point you posted to severely lack in substance. I believe you've completely misread Augustine, and it seems to either be intentional, or poor comprehension. Your point on Ambrose screams "I'm going to ignore the part where he says she's 'free of every stain of sin' because I can point to other writings on virginity, despite them never talking about Mary or her sinless life". It seems to me that you either do not have an understanding of the material, or you are so intensely focused on making your point that you don't care one bit what I actually type in response. I see no reason to continue this discussion with you in its current form.

Please feel free to have the last word. I promise not to respond.
lobopride
Zobel said:

Which writings are scriptures and how do you know?
This is the best answer I have seen to this question.

https://www.biblicaltraining.org/library/the-canon-of-scripture-wayne-grudem

A lot more there than what I pasted.

How do we know, then, that we have the right books in the canon of Scripture we now possess? The question can be answered in two different ways. First, if we are asking upon what we should base our confidence, the answer must ultimately be that our confidence is based on the faithfulness of God. We know that God loves his people, and it is supremely important that God's people have his own words, for they are our life (Deut. 32.47; Matt. 4:4). They are more precious, more important to us than anything else in this world. We also know that God our Father is in control of all history, and he is not the kind of Father who will trick us or fail to be faithful to us or keep from us something we absolutely need.

The severity of the punishments in Revelation 22.18-19 that come to those who add to or take from God's words also confirms the importance for God's people of having a correct canon. There could be no greater punishments than these, for they are the punishments of eternal judgment. This shows that God himself places supreme value on our having a correct collection of God-breathed writings, no more and no less. In the light of this fact, could it be right for us to believe that God our Father, who controls all history, would allow all of his church for almost two thousand years to be deprived of something he himself values so highly and is so necessary for our spiritual lives?3:29

The preservation and correct assembling of the canon of Scripture should ultimately be seen by believers, then, not as part of church history subsequent to God's great central acts of redemption for his people, but as an integral part of the history of redemption itself. Just as God was at work in creation, in the calling of his people Israel, in the life, death, and resurrection of Christ, and in the early work and writings of the apostles, so God was at work in the preservation and assembling together of the books of Scripture for the benefit of his people for the entire church age. Ultimately, then, we base our confidence in the correctness of our present canon on the faithfulness of God.

The question of how we know that we have the right books can, secondly, be answered in a somewhat different way. We might wish to focus on the process by which we become persuaded that the books we have now in the canon are the right ones. In this process two factors are at work: the activity of the Holy Spirit convincing us as we read Scripture for ourselves, and the historical data that we have available for our consideration.

As we read Scripture the Holy Spirit works to convince us that the books we have in Scripture are all from God and are his words to us. It has been the testimony of Christians throughout the ages that as they read the books of the Bible, the words of Scripture speak to their hearts as no other books do. Day after day, year after year, Christians find that the words of the Bible are indeed the words of God speaking to them with an authority, a power, and a persuasiveness that no other writings possess. Truly the Word of God is "living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit, of joints and marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart" (Heb. 4:12).

Yet the process by which we become persuaded that the present canon is right is also helped by historical data. Of course, if the assembling of the canon was one part of God's central acts in the history of redemption (as was stated above), then Christians today should not presume to take it upon themselves to attempt to add to or subtract from the books of the canon: the process was completed long ago. Nevertheless, a thorough investigation of the historical circumstances surrounding the assembling of the canon is helpful in confirming our conviction that the decisions made by the early church were correct decisions. Some of this historical data has been mentioned in the preceding pages. Other, more detailed data is available for those who wish to pursue more specialized investigations.3:30
The Banned
It's late and I'm going to bed. This is a half hearted response that I can flesh out tomorrow:

Mormons and Muslims us this exact same standard when determining their "scripture". To say that one can simply read it and know has lead (literally) billions into faiths that I would assume you disagree with vehemently.
lobopride
The Banned said:

It's late and I'm going to bed. This is a half hearted response that I can flesh out tomorrow:

Mormons and Muslims us this exact same standard when determining their "scripture". To say that one can simply read it and know has lead (literally) billions into faiths that I would assume you disagree with vehemently.

There is a lot more that I didn't post about the Apostles. All but five books were written by Apostles. Mormons and Muslims can't make that claim.
Zobel
AG
so in other words you're appealing to a kind of tautological faith in the Spirit (the books we have are right because they're the books we have) combined with a flat historical claim (the books we have are right because they're the books we have been having)?

One might simply combine both of those into an appeal to Holy Tradition.

The problem with this description is it has no explanation of the beginning. It exists in a kind of anachronistic eternal now. How does this process begin when no one has the books they have been having yet? What did they use to discern good writings as scripture from bad as spurious?
Zobel
AG
They make the exact same type of claim except instead of apostle they claim prophets with direct experience of divine revelation, just as the authors of the NT claim.

I mean basically half of the NT is written by a person whose claim to Apostleship is literally that of a prophetic vision and calling, and he intentionally evokes that imagery from the OT in his writings.
lobopride
Zobel said:

They make the exact same type of claim except instead of apostle they claim prophets with direct experience of divine revelation, just as the authors of the NT claim.

I mean basically half of the NT is written by a person whose claim to Apostleship is literally that of a prophetic vision and calling, and he intentionally evokes that imagery from the OT in his writings.
Yes, that is Paul's claim. But it was backed by Apostolic authority. An authority that ended when John died. It really is apples and oranges.
Zobel
AG
None of the apostles passed on a canonical list of scriptures, though. So I'm not sure why that is relevant to this particular question.
lobopride
Zobel said:

None of the apostles passed on a canonical list of scriptures, though. So I'm not sure why that is relevant to this particular question.
Because all New Testament scripture either is directly from Apostles, fellow workers with Apostles (Luke, Mark), or claimed approval by Apostles (Hebrews, some people think Paul wrote it some don't).

In a very real sense the early church fathers did not choose the books of the New Testament; the Apostles themselves did. Later on it was officially canonized, but more or less it was already codified long before that.
Zobel
AG
This is a descriptive claim though, not prescriptive.

Your second statement is pure speculation - and not supported by history. The canon was open long after the first generation of the church had passed away.
Jabin
Why do you trust the testimony of the Church fathers?

Why do the Catholics believe that the traditions of the RCC are authoritative?

Why did many people who met Christ believe that he was the son of God and his sayings were both authoritative and infallible?
Zobel
AG
I don't trust the testimony of the church fathers as scripture. They are historical witnesses to the reality of what was being taught in the churches in their day, and in the reality of what was deemed worthy to preserve and dogmatize from by the church afterward.

I can't speak for why the RCC does what it does - I'm not Roman Catholic.

Some of the people who met the Lord thought His teaching was authoritative and infallible because their hearts were prepared to see. Many didn't even need to hear His teaching to know who He was. The righteous recognized Him, like St Simeon. And many who heard His words and saw even His miracles did not hear, or see.

I can answer the riddle to the descriptive / tautological question above - how did the earliest Christians bootstrap the problem of knowing which scriptures were reliable? The answer is actually recorded in the scriptures today. What came first was the Apostolic teaching. The earliest vision we have of the church is the faithful in Acts 2:42 who devoted themselves to the teaching of the Apostles, the communion in the breaking of the bread, and in the prayers. The article is there in the Greek - this is a list of three things. The teaching, the communion, the prayers. So when writings came, they were compared to these three things: do they comport in every way to the teaching, the communion, and the prayers?

Because the Apostolic teaching was one, there was one Faith deposited once for all to the saints, and the Apostolic teaching was also public - all of this is witnessed to explicitly in the scriptures - the various churches around the world held that in common. Over time the canon of scripture followed. This is also the criteria that excluded churches from that small-o orthodoxy. Later this would be famously summarized as "everywhere, always, by all". Groups that did not hold the teaching of the Apostles used different writings which did not comport to that orthodoxy, and were recognizable then as distinct non-Christian sects. The primal, Ur-layer of Christianity is in Apostolic teaching - the doctrine and the practices they taught. St Paul says as much in several places.

The real question at the bedrock of this inquiry must be - what is the Apostolic teaching? Because by historical fact it precedes the NT scriptures, it is the only correct interpretation of the OT scriptures, and is the canon by which the canon itself is derived.
Jabin
Quote:

The earliest vision we have of the church is the faithful in Acts 2:42 who devoted themselves to the teaching of the Apostles, the communion in the breaking of the bread, and in the prayers. The article is there in the Greek - this is a list of three things. The teaching, the communion, the prayers.
I'm with you so far but then you make a huge logical leap:

Quote:

So when writings came, they were compared to these three things: do they comport in every way to the teaching, the communion, and the prayers?
What is your basis for that statement? It cannot be found in Acts 2:42.
Zobel
AG
My basis for that is because that is what the writings of the Apostles tell us to do.

"Hold on to the pattern of sound words which you have heard from me"
"Continue in the things you have learned and have been assured of, knowing from whom you lave learned them"
"[A bishop] must hold firmly to the faithful word according to the teaching, that he may be able to both encourage with sound teaching and to refute those who contradict it"
"The things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, entrust to faithful men who will be competent to teach others also"
"Speak the things which are consistent with sound doctrine"
"Stand firm and cling to the traditions you were taught, whether by word or by letter from us"
"We warn you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, to keep away from any brother who leads an undisciplined life that is not according to the tradition you received from us."
"But even if we or an angel of heaven should preach a gospel to you contrary to what we proclaimed to you, let him be accursed!"
"Be imitators together of me, brothers, and carefully observe those who walk according to the pattern we set for you."
"What you have learned and have received and have heard and have seen in me, practice these things."
"You are to imitate me, just as I imitate Christ. I commend that you have remembered me in all things and you are keeping the teachings as I delivered to you"
"You became imitators of us and of the Lord"
"Therefore I urge you to imitate me. This is why I have sent you Timothy, who is my beloved and faithful child in the Lord, who will remind you of my ways that are in Christ Jesus, as I teach everywhere in every church."
"I exhort you, brothers, to consider those causing divisions and obstacles contrary to the teaching that you have learned. Turn away from them."
"Take note of anyone who does not obey the instructions we have given in this letter. Do not associate with him, so that he may be ashamed."
"If anyone teaches another doctrine and does not draw near to the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching according to godliness, he is puffed up, knowing nothing..."
"The law is not enacted for the righteous but for the lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinful...and for anyone else who is averse to sound teaching that agrees with the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted."
"By this gospel you are also being saved, if you hold fast to the word I proclaimed to you; otherwise you have believed in vain."

St John similarly
"Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teachings of Christ does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you but does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your home or even greet him."
"As for you, let what you have heard from the beginning remain in you. If it does, you will also remain in the Son and in the Father."
"We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard so that you also may have communion with us. And this communion of ours is with the Father and with His Son, Jesus Christ."

We're commanded to test everything against the doctrine which the Apostles taught. The deposit of faith was made by the teaching of the Apostles, which included the proclamation of the gospel, the teaching of the scriptures, and how to live - in other words, the Apostolic Tradition, which is both doctrine and practice. Their warnings are quite clear that if we remain in that teaching and imitate them, we are being saved and have communion with God. If we don't, we are believing in vain.

Edit to add - we also have historical reference for the test of apostolicity via consistency with doctrine that this is what people did in the writings of people like St Irenaeus.
Quo Vadis?
lobopride said:

Zobel said:

Yes, that is Paul's claim. But it was backed by Apostolic authority. An authority that ended when John died. It really is apples and oranges.

How did it end when John died? What were they doing in ACTS when they appointed St Matthias as a successor to Judas?
10andBOUNCE
AG
Matthias was an apostle, but the NT doesn't ever mention him again.
Quo Vadis?
10andBOUNCE said:

How are we to know apostolic authority ended with St John?
jrico2727
AG
Quo Vadis? said:

10andBOUNCE said:

How are we to know apostolic authority ended with St John?
I am sure his personal disciples Polycarp and Ignatius of Antioch wouldn't have some interesting things to say about this subject.
And their writings can be found for free at https://www.newadvent.org/
10andBOUNCE
AG
It is believed that he was the last one alive. He also penned the last book on the NT.

Regardless, there were no others after those 13 men.
jrico2727
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

It is believed that he was the last one alive. He also penned the last book on the NT.

St. Paul was considered an apostle, and the apostle to the gentiles
St. Mary Magdalene by being the first to meet the resurrected Lord was considered Apostle to the Apostles
Zobel
AG
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-to-apostles
lobopride
Quo Vadis? said:

lobopride said:

Zobel said:

How did it end when John died? What were they doing in ACTS when they appointed St Matthias as a successor to Judas?

Apostleship (capital A) is an office that ended with John who explicitly closes the canon in Revelation. All New Testament scripture is tied to Apostolic authority.
Faithful Ag
Quote:

Apostleship (capital A) is an office that ended with John who explicitly closes the canon in Revelation. All New Testament scripture is tied to Apostolic authority.

Can you show me where this can be found in scripture?
lobopride
Paul explicitly calls himself an Apostle differentiating himself from Timothy. The position was a position of authority that allowed Paul to give commands as from the Lord and to perform signs (miracles). Neither of which is happening today.

"I have been a fool! You forced me to it, for I ought to have been commended by you. For I was not at all inferior to these super-apostles, even though I am nothing. The signs of a true apostle were performed among you with utmost patience, with signs and wonders and mighty works."
2 Corinthians 12:11-12 ESV
https://bible.com/bible/59/2co.12.12.ESV
10andBOUNCE
AG
jrico2727 said:

10andBOUNCE said:

St. Paul was considered an apostle, and the apostle to the gentiles
St. Mary Magdalene by being the first to meet the resurrected Lord was considered Apostle to the Apostles

Sorry, I was most definitely including Paul in the 13 I referenced.
Zobel
AG

Quote:

John who explicitly closes the canon in Revelation
wha?
Quo Vadis?
Zobel said:

Quote:

wha?

I think he's misunderstanding Revelation 22: 18-20
lobopride
Quo Vadis? said:

Zobel said:

Quote:

wha?

I think he's misunderstanding Revelation 22: 18-20

Well I think you're misunderstanding it
Zobel
AG
oh... nah man, "this book" is the book of Revelation. not "the bible".

"the bible" as a concept meaning a single combined book containing a certain set of scriptures wouldn't come along for another century at least, and there was no consensus on Revelation being in the canon for centuries after that
Jabin
So you are saying that the Holy Spirit's inspiration to John was limited to what John knew at the time he was writing?

It's too bad that God and his spirit didn't realize that there would eventually be a Bible and that Revelation would be part of it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.