The (New) Global Methodist Church

89,336 Views | 540 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by MAROON
The Chicken Ranch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggieband 83 said:

You are well within your right to ask. First, ask him in private for a churchwide informative meeting.. If he dodges the question, ask for a future church information meeting during the announcements portion of the service. If there are other like minded people in attendance, they can chime in about wanting an information meeting.

We need more of this in all of our churches!

Amen!
OnlyForNow
AG
Your friend needs to read the section about overruling the admin council on things like this.

Make a stink about it and get a vote taken.
Justin2010
AG
Fishing Fools said:

Not sure if this has been posted,

I'm pretty surprised to hear that. But also encouraged!
Justin2010
AG
aggieband 83 said:

You are well within your right to ask. First, ask him in private for a churchwide informative meeting.. If he dodges the question, ask for a future church information meeting during the announcements portion of the service. If there are other like minded people in attendance, they can chime in about wanting an information meeting.

The church does not belong to a pastor.

We are supposed to submit ourselves one to another. Not all to a pastor.

Ask for a church wide meeting regarding the subject. If he said no, hold one yourself.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Is there an exact list of the churches that have voted so far?

There used to be a group that tracked Presbyterian churches that voted to leave, and where they affiliated, and how much they had to pay to leave. But it has been taken down.

It would be interesting to see this.
88Warrior
The Chicken Ranch said:

Is there an exact list of the churches that have voted so far?

There used to be a group that tracked Presbyterian churches that voted to leave, and where they affiliated, and how much they had to pay to leave. But it has been taken down.

It would be interesting to see this.

I've been looking for that list myself but cannot find one. If anyone does locate one please post. TIA
OnlyForNow
AG
I don't think there is going to be "a list".

Seems like a bad idea to be honest, for sure gonna get targeted as "bigot" churches.
88Warrior
OnlyForNow said:

I don't think there is going to be "a list".

Seems like a bad idea to be honest, for sure gonna get targeted as "bigot" churches.

That's for sure going to happen..list or not..We've discussed this at church…We're not running anymore..
UTExan
OnlyForNow said:

Your friend needs to read the section about overruling the admin council on things like this.

The laity have saved Methodist Christianity before. I had an ancestor who hosted Asbury on his circuit. These lay people were shouting Methodists who upset the status quo.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
12thMan9
AG
UTExan said:

OnlyForNow said:

The laity have saved Methodist Christianity before. I had an ancestor who hosted Asbury on his circuit. These lay people were shouting Methodists who upset the status quo.
What were they shouting?
Ronnie '88
nortex97
AG
Good piece arguing in favor of GMC vs. indie.

This article adds some details/more info on top of the Christ Church UMC in CS leaving the UMC.

Quote:

As per the report, Christ Church deliberated over which religious group could, ultimately, do the best job of getting its members ready to meet Jesus "when He comes back to earth." House stated that after much consideration, they came to the conclusion that the Global Methodist Church was the right denomination for them

He further stated that 91 percent of the members of their congregation participated in a vote, and the outcome was that they would leave the United Methodist Church and instead join the Methodist Church worldwide.

House also noted that the issue has expanded beyond its initial scope, revealing a wider disagreement within the United Methodist Church over questions of biblical authority and interpretation. According to the House, about 900 representatives cast their votes.
Now, I consider Adam Hamilton dishonest, so I find this very funny but some may take it seriously;

Quote:

The founder of the United Methodist Church's largest megachurch in the United States will be traveling to Northwest Arkansas to advocate unity in the cause of Christ. This visit comes at a time when the United Methodist Church is on the verge of a schism.

On Sept. 24 at 10:30 a.m., Adam Hamilton, senior pastor at Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas, will deliver a lecture at the Fayetteville Public Library Event Center.

According to Arkansas Online, many members of the Methodist church, which is the nation's second-largest Protestant denomination, have elected to depart from the denomination as a result of disputes that have taken place over the past half century over human sexuality, interpretation of the Bible, and church governance.

Some liberals are upset that the church does not allow same-sex weddings or the ordination of homosexuals, and as a result, they wish to sever their connections with the church.

According to Hamilton, Methodists can have differing opinions regarding human sexuality while yet cooperating with one another as genuine disciples of Jesus Christ.

In addition, he mentioned that they have been living together as United Methodists for a considerable amount of time, despite the fact that they have different perspectives on this topic and distinct methods of interpreting Scripture.

Proponents of a split argue that the two sides share radically different perspectives on the authority of Scripture and other important Christian doctrines. Hamilton, however, argued that the vast majority of Methodists do believe in Jesus' sinlessness, crucifixion, and bodily resurrection.
I don't think he is stupid, though, so I don't think that was really his responsive argument against a split. If so, what a pathetic straw man.
UTExan
12thMan9 said:

UTExan said:

OnlyForNow said:

What were they shouting?

I think if you have to ask that, you may not understand the concepts of primitive Methodism.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
88Warrior
The UMC couldn't care less about the bodies leaving the denomination it's the $$$'s they're worried about losing….
nortex97
AG
88Warrior said:

The UMC couldn't care less about the bodies leaving the denomination it's the $$$'s they're worried about losing….
The folks like Adam Hamilton, agreed. He will wind up running the remnant of a UMC, a true zombie of a denomination with some large churches in metropolitan areas and nothing else. Perhaps 10 percent of the 90's volume of sunday attendees in the US, but around 20 percent of the revenues.
UTExan
What I don't understand is how the UMC can have so many ineffective, or downright destructive clergy (not good preachers plus borderline/apostate theology) and not ever address their clergy problems.
Fishing Fools
UTExan said:

What I don't understand is how the UMC can have so many ineffective, or downright destructive clergy (not good preachers plus borderline/apostate theology) and not ever address their clergy problems.

Power, empire building, money, excellent retirement plans can corrupt.
nortex97
AG
All of the mainline American Protestant denominations over time became run by incestuous management/far left types. Arguably, some old fashioned 'creative destruction' capitalism is needed, a la capitalism, imho. The greater Soma can endure, even if the earthly structures change/are uprooted, just as happened to the churches Paul preached to.

Some sort of parable about pruning a fig tree that no longer produces fruit and all of that comes to mind.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
We visited an ECO Presbyterian church today. It was amazing! I think we may have a new home. Need to go a few more times to make sure, but it was so spiritually refreshing.
Justin2010
AG
I moved to downtown Fort Worth in 2021. Attended Fort Worth UMC many times and really enjoyed the service. Attended a men's breakfast and met a lot of good people.

But I just can't get past the liberalism. I attended services maybe 8 times, and only once did an associate pastor get kind of political. But on their blog the pastor of their liberal service, which is separate from their primary one, bemoaned the loss of "women's reproductive rights".

It's so disappointing. You can be welcoming to all people without celebrating sin... But they are grieving the loss of the right to kill the unborn.

I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt... That these beliefs and views are held in good faith... But I just can't fellowship with a group who tolerates and even advocates for the death of infants.

As far as I've been able to tell, there has been no opportunity for church wide discernment or discussion about the direction of the fw UMC. If I were a member I would raise a little more commotion. Instead I'm moving on.
88Warrior
Justin2010 said:

I moved to downtown Fort Worth in 2021. Attended Fort Worth UMC many times and really enjoyed the service. Attended a men's breakfast and met a lot of good people.

But I just can't get past the liberalism. I attended services maybe 8 times, and only once did an associate pastor get kind of political. But on their blog the pastor of their liberal service, which is separate from their primary one, bemoaned the loss of "women's reproductive rights".

It's so disappointing. You can be welcoming to all people without celebrating sin... But they are grieving the loss of the right to kill the unborn.

I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt... That these beliefs and views are held in good faith... But I just can't fellowship with a group who tolerates and even advocates for the death of infants.

As far as I've been able to tell, there has been no opportunity for church wide discernment or discussion about the direction of the fw UMC. If I were a member I would raise a little more commotion. Instead I'm moving on.

There will be clear choices for you as more traditional churches disaffiliate from the UMC. There are probably quite a few in the Fort Worth area that probably already have. Prayers you find a church home.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Justin2010 said:

I agree. PCUSA calls abortion "reproductive Justice." Everything is "Justice" now. Abolishing the police is "racial justice." BLM is "equity." Etc.

Moving on is just the best. Find a Methodist church that has made the right decision.
The Shank Ag
Justin2010 said:

I have a little insight here as a former FUMC FW member, now a FUMC Cleburne member. Dr Bruster, while also liberal, could give amazing sermons and left politics out of it. He preached from the Bible and focused on keeping God in everything. I was sad to read he was retiring and the pulpit would be going to Lance.

Lance Marshall does not give uplifting sermons and seemingly splits from the Bible nearly every time I've heard him preach. The first I heard him preach was the Sunday right after the Dallas police massacre after a BLM March. Not once in the sermon was there condemnation of the act, not once was there a push to pray for the families that just lost loved ones. Instead the sermon focused on not making the events of that night an "us vs them" moment, that we stand with people of color for their plight at the hands of racists and law enforcement. My now wife and I nearly got up and left. We weren't ever thinking of making it an "us vs them" moment, but we definitely were still mourning the lives lost 30 minutes away and not talking about the "wrongs" those that just died have had happen in their line of work.

Lance went through a lot in his life (cancer survivor) and is good friends with the former Cleburne FUMC pastor I really loved, but he is as far left as they come and I can guarantee will actively work against any movement for discernment.
LonghornDub
Jim Jackson, former minister of Chapelwood, said he expected to leave the United Methodists and become an Untied Methodist. He indicated it was all about who got the power rather than theology. That's what happened in the Episcopal Church. The power play was by the LGBT crowd United with the liberal secular members. The African and South American majority saved the Anglican communion from total apostasy.

I am getting really old. I repeated a lot of this below by mistake.
God made the country, and man made the town. William Cowper

TRD-Ferguson
AG
Wife was born Catholic and I was born Southern Baptist. The Methodist church was a good compromise for us and we've been actively involved for many years. I really don't understand what's going on now with the UMC now. Neither of us is very happy and just feel lost.

We live in Georgetown and last week our pastor included a note in the weekly newsletter that our church has chosen to not disassociate. I read that to mean we're taking the less conservative route. We're both traditional in our beliefs so it's concerning.

Organized church seems so disjointed these days. We're in our late 60's so changing churches seems like a hassle. Praying for direction in all of this.

birddog7000
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

OnlyForNow said:

Out of? Just curious.

Ours voted to stay in, and no even go through discernment. I feel pastor had a lot to do with that and some people are gonna end up being very surprised.

I talked to a friend of mine who has been a member of a Methodist church their entire life. The church leadership council or whatever it is called is refusing to allow the church to discuss or vote. The pastor is apparently trying to prevent a vote from taking place. Most of the people on the leadership council are conservatives who don't support what the left-wing of the church is doing but they unfortunately believe everything will blow over and they want to ride it out. I many of them just simply don't understand the ramifications of what they are doing. It is sad. The area bishop is also pushing churches to stay.

10% of the professing members of a church can call a church conference with the DS. This is how it should be approached if a pastor is blocking the way.
LonghornDub
The experience of the Episcopal Church USA is very sad. It has lost over half its membership since the liberal wing took power at the annual conference in Minnesota in 2003. Lawsuits over property have drained funds. The world wide Anglican Communion was saved by the dioceses in Africa and South America, and the Queen of England's non public influence is said to have slowed the disintegration of its home country church.

An exception is St Martin's Episcopal in Houston of which I am a member. When the split came, the rector and vestry got permission of the Bishop of Texas to style itself as a Windsor Parish, meaning that it was in no way diverting from the traditional teachings on sexuality repeated at a Windsor conference in England. Our ministers do not conduct same sex marriages nor advocate the same and they conduct their public lives in accordance with the traditional rules. It has since grown to be the largest Episcopal church in North America and just completed a $68,000,000 expansion. To my knowledge, it is the lone church to adopt this course. 10 to 15 % left to form Anglican churches in the US originally under African and South American bishops.

Jim Jackson, Minister Emeritus at Chapelwood in Houston, sends out a morning text each day and also teaches and preaches periodically at St Martin's. He indicated he was probably going from being a United Methodist to being an Untied Methodist - only had to switch two letters.
God made the country, and man made the town. William Cowper

nortex97
AG
SAUMC Plano is…going to announce internally that it is not moving, and is remaining UMC. Arthur is the senior pastor now.

Quote:

Over the past several years, there have been ongoing discussions regarding the future of the broader denomination of the United Methodist Church. The lay leadership and clergy of St. Andrew have closely followed this issue and would like to inform you of the direction St. Andrew will take as we move forward. We invite you to attend an informational session this Sunday, October 2 at 12:15 p.m. in the Sanctuary to hear from all key lay leaders and Arthur regarding the decisions for our future and the denomination.

We would love to have you personally attend this session if you are able. We do understand this is short notice, but the leadership felt it was important to communicate to the congregation as soon as a decision was final. If you are unable to attend, a follow-up email with details will be sent out Sunday afternoon as the session will not be livestreamed. This email will include a way to submit questions or connect with a pastor should you want to discuss further.

The informational session will last 45 minutes
It will be sad to watch this youth program disintegrate from afar over the next 10 years.
nortex97
AG
Update: Nortex97 is exposed (yet again) as wrong: SAUMC Plano is going to disaffiliate. This is shocking. Well, the latter part is.

The Jones family get together would be fascinating to listen to.
UTExan
I think they are right to remain independent for now. Just as several mainline Protestant denominations define themselves as being anti-evangelical and are in decline, a Methodist movement cannot solely define itself as anti-UMC and expect to prosper in its mission.
goatchze
AG
FUMC Bryan votes Sunday on whether to go back to being FMC Bryan.
Aggie1205
AG
St Lukes UMC in Houston has decided not to enter discernment at this time. Large congregation in a wealthy area. The Story which they launched a handful of years back did break off from the UMC and would be considered independent now I believe.
goatchze
AG
FUMC Bryan has voted to disaffiliate and join the GMC. Takes effect January 1st, 2023.
88Warrior
Friday at a special called session the Oklahoma Annual Conference voted to allow Asbury Tulsa and close to 30 other Oklahoma Methodist churches to officially leave the UMC. This becomes effective November 4th. Asbury's exit fee was around $4 million.
UTExan
And 15,000 member White's Chapel UMC (Southlake) will vote on whether to leave the UMC on Nov 7. It is one of the top 5 UMC churches in attendance.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/southlake-megachurch-plans-vote-to-leave-united-methodist-denomination/ar-AA13n78e?li=BBnb7Kz
cgh1999
AG
Cypress UMC just voted to disaffiliate. 75%

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.