Pray for Kyle Rittenhouse

29,027 Views | 466 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 94chem
Repeat the Line
How long do you want to ignore this user?
May truth prevail
Sapper Redux
Funny you pray for him and not his victims.
AGC
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Unless OP types out every person who needs prayer he must be an insincere hypocrite? What a ridiculous thing to say.
Sapper Redux
AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

Unless OP types out every person who needs prayer he must be an insincere hypocrite? What a ridiculous thing to say.

This is a case of a kid who murdered 2 people and permanently injured another. Seems relevant.
AGC
AG
Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

This is a case of a kid who murdered 2 people and permanently injured another. Seems relevant.

Seems like they all need prayer. A simpler 'please pray for the victims' would have been the mature response.
Sapper Redux
AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

Seems like they all need prayer. A simpler 'please pray for the victims' would have been the mature response.

Would it? I was interested in the OP's logic. Given I don't think prayer does much, it wouldn't have been a genuine statement from me.
Aggrad08
AG
Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

It's not murder when they attack first. I don't doubt he may be a daft kid, but it was on video and looked an awful lot like he was avoiding confrontation
Sapper Redux
Aggrad08 said:

Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

It's not murder when they attack first. I don't doubt he may be a daft kid, but it was on video and looked an awful lot like he was avoiding confrontation

It was murder. I saw the video. He had no business being there. He was armed. He was a threat to them.
Aggrad08
AG
Being armed isn't enough to make you a threat. I've walked past armed people very many times. Not once could I have attacked them, chased them, hit them with objects, reached for their weapons and not been considered the aggressor.

You have to threaten with the weapon. And you sure as **** can't count running away as assault.
Star Wars Memes Only
Aggrad08 said:

BluHorseShu
AG
AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

And a much better one than what the OP proposed. Can't help but think it's selective prayer based on political leanings. But I could be wrong. OP could recognize KR poor choices and pray for him to make it through this experience. I feel sorry for him and the victims. There are a number of ways it could have all been avoided.
Sapper Redux
Aggrad08 said:

Being armed isn't enough to make you a threat. I've walked past armed people very many times. Not once could I have attacked them, chased them, hit them with objects, reached for their weapons and not been considered the aggressor.

You have to threaten with the weapon. And you sure as **** can't count running away as assault.

Not the politics forum, so I'm not going to go into it. I strongly disagree. Said my piece on that. Want to take it back to religion or philosophy?
BluHorseShu
AG
Aggrad08 said:

Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

Had he not gone out of his way to engage protestors while carrying a weapon, none of it would have happened. To drive to another town with a weapon into a tense situation, you're asking for a reason to use the weapon. We don't need militias for law enforcement. But I agree with Sapper…take it to F16 where everyone will agree with you
Star Wars Memes Only
Sapper Redux said:

Aggrad08 said:

Not the politics forum, so I'm not going to go into it. I strongly disagree. Said my piece on that. Want to take it back to religion or philosophy?

You don't think what constitutes the right to defend oneself is sufficiently philosophical?
Star Wars Memes Only
BluHorseShu said:

Aggrad08 said:

Sapper Redux said:

AGC said:

Sapper Redux said:

Had he not gone out of his way to engage protestors while carrying a weapon, none of it would have happened. To drive to another town with a weapon into a tense situation, you're asking for a reason to use the weapon. We don't need militias for law enforcement

He certainly bears causal responsibility for what happened, the question is whether he bears moral and/or legal responsibility.
Sapper Redux
DizzyStarship said:

Sapper Redux said:

Aggrad08 said:

You don't think what constitutes the right to defend oneself is sufficiently philosophical?

In this context, no. It's a specific legal case with clear political undertones.
Star Wars Memes Only
I don't know man, I find philosophical questions particularly fascinating when they apply to real world scenarios, and I think there is reasonable discussion to be had about this topic.
Aggrad08
AG
Yup that's rather daft. But that's not how the law works, you still have to be the literal aggressor.

The asking for it stuff just doesn't work in the law. You don't say people walking alone in bad neighborhoods are asking for it. Hell you can't even say people wearing the wrong gang colors in the wrong neighborhood are asking for it.

You have to actively threaten people or be in the process of some crime (and not just any crime) to justify violence, and presence simply doesn't meet that standard. The kid ran, there was no need to chase.

And but for being chased and attacked there appears to be zero chance he hurts anyone that night. Having daft ideas about race doesn't mean you lose the right to self defense.
Sapper Redux
DizzyStarship said:

I don't know man, I find philosophical questions particularly fascinating when they apply to real world scenarios, and I think there is reasonable discussion to be had about this topic.

I don't trust the discussion to remain reasonable, and that's despite this forum being the most reasonable on this website. Sorry, I don't even have much to argue about with the other side, politically, anymore. I don't feel like I inhabit the same reality.
Aggrad08
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Aggrad08 said:

Eh self defense and the laws relating to it is as philosophical as it gets if you ask me. Like the poster said above I like when the rubber hits the road and you have to test ideas.

I get this is a heavily political case. And I find the worship and vitriol toward the kid both completely unfounded and evidence of clouded judgment.

In most instances a case like this never makes the national news nor should it.
ramblin_ag02
AG
To take a less overtly political stance, he never should have been there. He never should have felt the need to be there. At various points in the night Rittenhouse personally did the job of an EMT bandaging wounds, a firefighter putting out blazes, and a cop using deadly force to protect. All of those services should have already been their doing all of those things.

What we saw was a complete failure of a government to perform it's most basic duties. So local amateurs stepped up to do those jobs themselves, leading to predictably tragic results. Two dead, one injured, and the amateur first responder on trial by the very system that left them all to fend for themselves
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Rittenhouse? Was this the guy that broke down in tears on the stand remembering the day he shot some people while he was defending himself? Or was he the guy just recently accused of going to a bar, flashing white power signs and signing the proud boys anthem while in the middle of a trial where he shot a couple people at a BLM March?
GQaggie
AG
It is unfortunate that your political views render you unwilling or incapable of discussing the facts and philosophical implications of major current events. It is even more unfortunate that given said lack of willingness or capability, you are nonetheless quick to throw out an accusation you will not support. You accuse one man of murder and another of hypocrisy and then quickly bail out behind the cover of "wrong forum". This is just one more example of what is wrong with our political climate. We have too many hurling accusations without partaking in rational discourse.
Dilettante
Who is the other side? Is it an actual group of people or is it just whoever disagrees with you on any given topic?

If it's always the same people who constitute the other side, those aren't the people on this forum. You and aggrad usually agree on here; it's hard to believe he's "the other side".

If it's whoever happens to be disagreeing with you at the moment, that just sounds like you're being lazy and lumping people together who aren't really that similar.
Sapper Redux
GQaggie said:

It is unfortunate that your political views render you unwilling or incapable of discussing the facts and philosophical implications of major current events. It is even more unfortunate that given said lack of willingness or capability, you are nonetheless quick to throw out an accusation you will not support. You accuse one man of murder and another of hypocrisy and then quickly bail out behind the cover of "wrong forum". This is just one more example of what is wrong with our political climate. We have too many hurling accusations without partaking in rational discourse.

It's not my political views. I think I've shown I'm quite capable of arguing about those. It's more a complete cynicism visible on this topic and every other. You want my opinion?

He boasted about wanting to shoot looters. He traveled illegally across state lines with a weapon he wasn't allowed to have. He placed himself in a town he didn't know so that he could play cop/soldier despite having zero experience or training. He is on camera pointing his weapon at protesters, leading one of them to attack him, at which point he killed him, leading other protesters to attack him, leading to another death and wounding a man who was also armed and attempting to defend himself. At what point does any of this sound like a reasonable action and a reasonable use of force? Was it when he actively sought out this situation? Or was it when he threatened people who assumed he wanted to harm them? Or was it when the consequences of his actions showed up?
dermdoc
AG
Sapper Redux said:

GQaggie said:

It's not my political views. I think I've shown I'm quite capable of arguing about those. It's more a complete cynicism visible on this topic and every other. You want my opinion?

He boasted about wanting to shoot looters. He traveled illegally across state lines with a weapon he wasn't allowed to have. He placed himself in a town he didn't know so that he could play cop/soldier despite having zero experience or training. He is on camera pointing his weapon at protesters, leading one of them to attack him, at which point he killed him, leading other protesters to attack him, leading to another death and wounding a man who was also armed and attempting to defend himself. At what point does any of this sound like a reasonable action and a reasonable use of force? Was it when he actively sought out this situation? Or was it when he threatened people who assumed he wanted to harm them? Or was it when the consequences of his actions showed up?
Nothing you posted has anything to do with this case.

It is all about self defense. He will walk.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sapper Redux
Pretty sure I just posted my opinion, not whether I think he'll be acquitted. I think he probably will be, or at worst a hung jury.
Potcake
AG
Aggrad08 said:

I've walked by cops before, too!
Martin Cash
AG
It's painfully obvious several of you have not followed this trial at all.

Kyle had no business being there? Neither did the three felons who attacked him. Kyle shouldn't have had a weapon? Neither should they.

You should abstain from commenting about that which you are ignorant.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
Aggrad08
AG
Ignoring any particular details of this case if you want I find the notion that the physical aggressors e.g. the rioters or protesters et. al. Being justified in attacking a much more liberal definition of self defense than I'm comfortable with.

You are effectively saying any and all of those men should have been been able to walk home free and clear had they killed rittenhouse. That he posed such a clear and present danger that they required both active pursuit and deadly force with no duty to stand ground, retreat, or restrain themselves in any way.

This is pretty ironic as the rittenhouse case rest entirely on a more traditional self defense case which is actively rejected in place of a much more freewheeling definition.

Broadly, I don't find this justified and while I think it's cut and dry that this isn't how the actual law was/is applied in the US even in all its variations, I don't think it should be written this way in the future.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Edit: meant to reply to sapper

Quote:

He traveled illegally across state lines with a weapon he wasn't allowed to have. He placed himself in a town he didn't know so that he could play cop/soldier despite having zero experience or training. He is on camera pointing his weapon at protesters, leading one of them to attack him

None of those things are true. The weapons charge was rightly dropped as he bought it legally. He never took the gun across state lines. He lived nearby, worked and regularly did community service in the town before the night in question. He and his friends were asked to patrol by several local businesses. He was initially threatened when responding to a truck fire, and only then did he out down his fire extinguisher and arm himself. These are the undisputed facts of the case. The narrative you just repeated is verifiably wrong.

Not trying to call you out specifically, as that's the version I heard as well until I learned more. But it's a bit troubling that the popular narrative can be so blatantly off. If I were more conspiracy minded I'd have a field day, as is I think it's just the typical rumor mill combined with a hefty dose of confirmation bias
Aggrad08
AG
Potcake said:

Aggrad08 said:

I've walked by cops before, too!

Or you know just rednecks strapped up.
GQaggie
AG
Sapper Redux said:

GQaggie said:

I believe a number of your facts are incorrect. Trial evidence showed he crossed state lines without the weapon, which was purchased and stored in Wisconsin. He isn't facing any gun charges as the gun laws in Wisconsin carried what is evidently a vague and poorly worded exception for rifles and shotguns.

There is quite a bit of video evidence and testimony demonstrating possible altruistic reasons for going to Kenosha. Ultimately, we'll never know his true motives with any certainty. As Ramblin mentioned, the kid did a lot of good that day and night. Regarding his comments about wanting to shoot looters, those came from a video in which no faces, including Rittenhouse's were seen. The prosecution never made it public how they obtained the video, and the judge didn't believe it fit to be admitted into evidence. Maybe it was Rittenhouse making those comments, but that is sketchy evidence at best.

Is there any evidence of him pointing his weapon at people we can clearly know we're not threatening him?

I appreciate the attempt to explain your position, but much of it seems to be based on beliefs that fail any real burden of proof. At the very least, you should be able to understand how a reasonable and well-meaning person could disagree with your assessment. No need to call the OP out for hypocrisy.
Sapper Redux
Fine.
GQaggie
AG
Sapper Redux said:

DizzyStarship said:

I don't trust the discussion to remain reasonable, and that's despite this forum being the most reasonable on this website. Sorry, I don't even have much to argue about with the other side, politically, anymore. I don't feel like I inhabit the same reality.

Maybe this should get its own thread, but I'm curious about your last sentence. It makes me sad that we are seeing ourselves as this far apart from each other. What do you think are the major paradigm differences? I can't help but believe most of us want basically the same things. I think for the most part Democrats and Republicans both desire human flourishing and happiness but obviously see different paths for getting there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.