lost job due to no vax

31,529 Views | 469 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Reload8098
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PacifistAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

Well, first I'm opposed to the new OSHA rule. I'm opposed to government in and of itself.
You work in HR. You're basically the government of the corporate world.
I'm sorry you lack the ability to see the huge difference between corporate HR and government.
I said you're the government of the corporate world. If you weren't opposed to the government, you'd probably work for it.
PacifistAg
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

PacifistAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

Well, first I'm opposed to the new OSHA rule. I'm opposed to government in and of itself.
I'm sorry you lack the ability to see the huge difference between corporate HR and government.
I said you're the government of the corporate world. If you weren't opposed to the government, you'd probably work for it.
Yeah, somehow you took your original statement and made it more stupid. Probably due to an ignorance of what HR actually does.
RAB91
PacifistAg said:

Btw, for those like Catag94, I know where you stand on employees being fired for violating their company's COVID vaccine policy.

To change course a little though, do you believe companies should be able to charge higher insurance premiums for unvaxxed employees? Especially given that they're more likely to become seriously ill with COVID and require hospitalization, and thereby higher medical costs.
I'd be ok with this under two conditions...
- They do the same for smokers, fatties, women of child bearing age, etc
- They don't charge the premium to people with the superior natural immunity.
Martin Q. Blank
PacifistAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

PacifistAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

Yeah, somehow you took your original statement and made it more stupid. Probably due to an ignorance of what HR actually does.
To come up with rules to enforce to justify their existence. Like the government. Deep down you like the power.
PacifistAg
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

PacifistAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

PacifistAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

To come up with rules to enforce to justify their existence. Like the government. Deep down you like the power.
Ah okay. So you truly are just ignorant of what HR does. Got it.
PacifistAg
AG
RAB91 said:

PacifistAg said:

Btw, for those like Catag94, I know where you stand on employees being fired for violating their company's COVID vaccine policy.

To change course a little though, do you believe companies should be able to charge higher insurance premiums for unvaxxed employees? Especially given that they're more likely to become seriously ill with COVID and require hospitalization, and thereby higher medical costs.
So no surcharge for smokers, unless you also have a surcharge for women of child-bearing age? Man, I never realized how many people here hate private business rights.

Your answer reminds me of what I see on the tinfoil hate board (F16). "No, you can't do A, unless you also do B, C, D, E, F, G, and H first!" It's just a lame excuse to not do A, when you are incapable of forming an actual coherent argument against A.
Catag94
AG
RAB91 said:

PacifistAg said:

I could go long with this.

Edit to add: especially if premiums weren't reduced for those being charged more post infection.
Dilettante
PacifistAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

PacifistAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

PacifistAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

HR sux.
Catag94
AG
PacifistAg said:

Lest you incorrectly judge where I stand on this, if a company chooses to implement the vaccine policy, I respect the company's right to do so and would not fault them for terminating employees who chose not to comply.
I don't believe the government should force companies to implement such policies.
PacifistAg
AG
Dilettante said:

PacifistAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

PacifistAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

PacifistAg said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

HR sux.

Oh, no doubt he's a troll who has long been obsessed with me, and HR can suck. But a few bad apples in HR certainly give us good ones a bad rap.
dermdoc
AG
Macarthur said:

dermdoc said:

Macarthur said:

Geez, this thread is like watching humanity devolve before our very eyes.

Drama much. C'mon.
Maybe it is drama, but do you think it's incredibly odd that in 2021, college educated people are arguing about how vaccines work and why it's important for people to take them?

I mean this is something that has been settled decades ago.
As you know I am pro vax. This is a totally different mechanism of action and is really not a vaccination but an encoding of mRNA. I think it is safe. But I understand the reluctance.

And refusing to take a medical treatment has never caused humanity to devolve before our very eyes.

God is in total control.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Macarthur
RAB91 said:

PacifistAg said:

What in the world does this even mean?
RAB91
PacifistAg said:

RAB91 said:

PacifistAg said:

So no surcharge for smokers, unless you also have a surcharge for women of child-bearing age? Man, I never realized how many people here hate private business rights.

Your answer reminds me of what I see on the tinfoil hate board (F16). "No, you can't do A, unless you also do B, C, D, E, F, G, and H first!" It's just a lame excuse to not do A, when you are incapable of forming an actual coherent argument against A.
You're in HR and you can't figure this out?
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/consistency

If we charge more for one type of status that drives higher medical costs, you should be consistent IMO.
Sapper Redux
RAB91 said:

PacifistAg said:

RAB91 said:

PacifistAg said:

You're in HR and you can't figure this out?
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/consistency

If we charge more for one type of status that drives higher medical costs, you should be consistent IMO.

I love how conservatives are offended by this idea now while screaming about Obamacare for the last decade plus. What do you think was happening before Obamacare?
AGC
AG
Zobel said:

Quote:

when he decries the injustice of it.
The injustice of what?

This entire narrative is predicated on the idea that there is injustice being done toward this person. I think this is begging the question.

Dude it's the post gigem responded to. It's one of the criticisms I clarified for you a few posts before that. I get that you're onboard with a vax mandate and sincerely hope no one dies from covid but this is obtuse.
PA24
AG
AGC said:

Zobel said:

Quote:

The injustice of what?

This entire narrative is predicated on the idea that there is injustice being done toward this person. I think this is begging the question.

Dude it's the post gigem responded to. It's one of the criticisms I clarified for you a few posts before that. I get that you're onboard with a vax mandate and sincerely hope no one dies from covid but this is obtuse.
That is what he does, sad actually.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
PacifistAg said:

Azeotroper said:

Ok how about "we will let you work here if you inject this in your body to protect you from dying from a pathogen with a 99.5% survivability." I'm glad my career choice was self employment. We just shrug our shoulders and say "whatever".
Private businesses have the right to set their policies as they see fit. You aren't entitled to work for them. If you cannot meet their terms of employment, you can find employment elsewhere. Stop acting entitled.

Kudos for you being self-employed. As a result, you can set your policies at your business as you see fit. Why would you deny other private businesses the same right?

They can't impose policies that violate your legally recognized civil rights.
Zobel
AG
AGC said:

Zobel said:

Quote:

The injustice of what?

I'm not onboard with a federal mandate. I'm doubly not onboard with an pseudo mandate through executive overreach in OSHA. We've had state and local vaccine requirements in the past, so I think those have precedent and are legal. I'm ambivalent toward those.

Who is gigem?

The point I'm making is what is the injustice? Where, specifically, is justice being denied? In a company requiring a vaccine as condition of employment? In a local public health department doing it? Or a state? Or a school district?

Does it matter what the penalty is? If it is $5 is it still injustice? If like in Texas it means during a pandemic an unvaccinated child may not be able to attend school is that injustice?

You're talking about hypotheticals - which is why I asked earlier whether you were describing something that actually happened or not.

Waving your hands and saying "this is injustice" is really confusing when it's not clear what is unjust.
Zobel
AG
What exactly do I do? Be specific, please.
PacifistAg
AG
FTACo88-FDT24dad said:

PacifistAg said:

Azeotroper said:

Ok how about "we will let you work here if you inject this in your body to protect you from dying from a pathogen with a 99.5% survivability." I'm glad my career choice was self employment. We just shrug our shoulders and say "whatever".
Private businesses have the right to set their policies as they see fit. You aren't entitled to work for them. If you cannot meet their terms of employment, you can find employment elsewhere. Stop acting entitled.

Kudos for you being self-employed. As a result, you can set your policies at your business as you see fit. Why would you deny other private businesses the same right?

They can't impose policies that violate your legally recognized civil rights.

This is nonsense.

Quote:

civil rights

/sivil rts/

Learn to pronounce

noun

the rights of citizens to political and social freedom and equality.

For example, companies can fire you for exercising your "political freedom" of speech if you tweet comments derogatory of your company. You don't have freedom of speech at your job. At my company, if you repeatedly purposely misgender a trans coworker, you can be fired. They'd have every legal right to do so.

The NFL could enact a policy prohibiting players from exercising their political freedoms on the clock, and they'd have every right to do so.
PacifistAg
AG
Quote:

Who is gigem?

I think he's referring to me, since I used to be GigEm01. My guess is he's trying to use the negative association with that name, even though he knows I'm nothing like I used to be. There's really no logical reason to refer to me by a handle I haven't used in a decade.

Maybe I'm wrong though.
Woodward2206
This thread is fun.

My mom lives in CS and was adamantly against getting the vaccine.

After I had a baby I informed her that without a vaccine she would not be allowed to hold the baby.

Her protest lasted all of 2 hours after she found that out.
Woodward2206
PacifistAg said:

Quote:

Who is gigem?

I think he's referring to me, since I used to be GigEm01. My guess is he's trying to use the negative association with that name, even though he knows I'm nothing like I used to be. There's really no logical reason to refer to me by a handle I haven't used in a decade.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

Maybe he's just making reference to a legend?
RAB91
Woodward said:

This thread is fun.

After I had a baby I informed her that without a vaccine she would not be allowed to hold the baby.

And this is a perfect definition of a BC. This board gives F84 a run for their money. Sad really.
PacifistAg
AG
RAB91 said:

Woodward said:

This thread is fun.

And this is a perfect definition of a BC. This board gives F84 a run for their money. Sad really.

Fyi, grandparents aren't entitled to hold their grandchildren. Parents can set boundaries, and grandparents can respect them or deal with the consequences.

If they believe such a boundary will help keep their newborn safe, or their mother, then that's their prerogative. Stop acting like an entitled child.
RAB91
PacifistAg said:

RAB91 said:

Woodward said:

This thread is fun.

Fyi, grandparents aren't entitled to hold their grandchildren. Parents can set boundaries, and grandparents can respect them or deal with the consequences.

If they believe such a boundary will help keep their newborn safe, or their mother, then that's their prerogative. Stop acting like an entitled child.

Drama queen much?

And thankfully none of my family has gone full vaxhole yet. I've been able to hold all the newborns in the family the last 18 months, and they all survived.
Zobel
AG
I'm curious do you think using epithets like vaxhole, branch covidian, or libs helps communication? Or why do you do it?
Star Wars Memes Only
RAB91 said:

Woodward said:

This thread is fun.

This was my rule prior to Covid too, frankly, for my previous child.
Duncan Idaho
I still think of you as gig'em. Not as a negative but more due to how much your have transformed over the years. To be clear, i am not talking about your transition (if that is the right word) but your growth and maturity.

Knowing who you were adds weight to who you are.

Hope that makes sense.
AGC
AG
Zobel said:

AGC said:

Zobel said:

Quote:

The injustice of what?

I'm not onboard with a federal mandate. I'm doubly not onboard with an pseudo mandate through executive overreach in OSHA. We've had state and local vaccine requirements in the past, so I think those have precedent and are legal. I'm ambivalent toward those.

Who is gigem?

The point I'm making is what is the injustice? Where, specifically, is justice being denied? In a company requiring a vaccine as condition of employment? In a local public health department doing it? Or a state? Or a school district?

Does it matter what the penalty is? If it is $5 is it still injustice? If like in Texas it means during a pandemic an unvaccinated child may not be able to attend school is that injustice?

You're talking about hypotheticals - which is why I asked earlier whether you were describing something that actually happened or not.

Waving your hands and saying "this is injustice" is really confusing when it's not clear what is unjust.

I'm not talking hypotheticals. It may be hypothetical to you but it's very real to my local community and fellow parishioners. The penalty absolutely matters; opportunity cost is a real thing (but you know that).

Regarding the details I don't buy into the performative nature of social media; I feel no compulsion to detail all that's going on within my sphere. If that's what you're looking for you won't get that satisfaction and I'm sorry (but this is not new). You will (and do) form your own opinions about that, which leads you to skepticism right now. As I've said before, I believe in objective truth. It exists whether you (proverbial) acknowledge it or not and certainly in spite of your (proverbial) doubt (and I'm sure we share the view of truth).

I have no desire to live publicly the way some here do. My ministry, my life, my focus is all local. This is a fun diversion but not a real substitute for that.
Aggrad08
AG
The curious part of this is the arrogance of the anti vax crowd.

Yes there is arrogance from the vax crowd as well, but that's expected as much as their is arrogance in the germ theory, relatively, evolution, moon landing was real crowd.

It's funny no one on the anti vax side wants to actually discuss science when they aren't in their echo chamber. Over there they post some garbage and laugh at all those moron people who believe in vaccines.

Yet over hear they try those arguments for about 6 seconds and retreat to muh rights arguments that were never a question before this pandemic.

If you find yourself without a scientific argument why the arrogance? We can agree or disagree on where we draw the line on personal choice, but that's hardly a thing to ridicule others about.

And it's also different this time. Before when we talked about personal choice with vaccines it was Jenny McCarthy and other misc morons who were mostly not a big group with some variations in certain enclaves.

Because it was about science and ignorance.Now it's republicans, because it's not about science vs not, if it was you'd want to argue the science outside your echo chamber. It's about red vs blue.

And there is a lot of red. So when we talk about vaccine hesitation as a political stance the implications are different.

AGC
AG
Aggrad08 said:

The curious part of this is the arrogance of the anti vax crowd.

Yes there is arrogance from the vax crowd as well, but that's expected as much as their is arrogance in the germ theory, relatively, evolution, moon landing was real crowd.

It's funny no one on the anti vax side wants to actually discuss science when they aren't in their echo chamber. Over there they post some garbage and laugh at all those moron people who believe in vaccines.

Yet over hear they try those arguments for about 6 seconds and retreat to muh rights arguments that were never a question before this pandemic.

If you find yourself without a scientific argument why the arrogance? We can agree or disagree on where we draw the line on personal choice, but that's hardly a thing to ridicule others about.

And it's also different this time. Before when we talked about personal choice with vaccines it was Jenny McCarthy and other misc morons who were mostly not a big group with some variations in certain enclaves.

Because it was about science and ignorance.Now it's republicans, because it's not about science vs not, if it was you'd want to argue the science outside your echo chamber. It's about red vs blue.

And there is a lot of red. So when we talk about vaccine hesitation as a political stance the implications are different.

The decisions being made are about more than science; we're re-ordering society right now and these are far beyond the scope of a 'scientist' no matter how grounded his knowledge base is. Your arrogance in the face of that scope strays into hubris.
Macarthur
I think there's only the appearance of 're-ordering' because so many won't get the vaccine. No other vaccine has ever caused this kind of upheaval. And it's so unnecessary. If those on the right had embraced this (I find it incredibly ironic because it was developed under a R administration), we would have effectively eradicated Covid19. Not just the vaccine but had they shaped the public perception to wear a mask and work to minimize this, we would be in such a better place, esp the economy. It is the ultimate irony that this was minimized and marginalized to help 'save the economy' when it was those very actions that have us in the situation we are in today and will be dealing for years to come.
Dilettante
Macarthur said:

If those on the right had embraced this (I find it incredibly ironic because it was developed under a R administration), we would have effectively eradicated COVID-19.
Nope, no chance. There would have been less deaths and less incentive to restrict freedoms though.
Macarthur
Dilettante said:

Macarthur said:

If those on the right had embraced this (I find it incredibly ironic because it was developed under a R administration), we would have effectively eradicated COVID-19.
Nope, no chance. There would have been less deaths and less incentive to restrict freedoms though.

Maybe it's talking past each other, but I think had an administration taken this seriously and pushed the narrative effectively, things would have been significantly diff. You can take issue with the word eradicate, but I still thing the point stands.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.