Since we're doing abortion again

18,698 Views | 491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by one MEEN Ag
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
File5 said:

Macarthur said:

File5 said:

Macarthur said:

I find all of this some amazing mental gymnastics to twist a vengeful God (his own words) into an all loving God.

Again, God is okay with some little one's being killed but there's a blanket order against Abortion even though it's never mentioned....

I think the responses have done a great job of responding to both of your statements here, do you have anything more of substance?
No, they haven't. Kurt beat me to the punch on a couple of these reponses. They are incredibly inadequate, IMO.

Do I need to actually post a list of why I think God doesn't really value human life?

Sure, why not? Anything is better than just calling arguments mental gymnastics and restating points that we've already addressed. Conversation requires two people honestly engaging with reasoned, supported positions, if you don't do that then there's no point to put any time into it.

I find this a bit disingenuous. I mean, you've read the Bible. You know the kind of death and carnage I'm referencing. God was either directly involved or condoning it.
Macarthur
Zobel said:

The OT doesn't exist in a vacuum. One of the most interesting ways to read it even in a non-religious setting is as dialogue. Where it speaks, it often speaks in opposition.

Bring frank I suspect bestiality was rampant, so it was explicitly prohibited. Along with a long list of other sexual immoralities.

I suspect abortion as we know it was not. I don't know when herbal abortifacients were invented, but I suspect they weren't common in the Bronze Age. On the other hand, child sacrifice was practiced, and is rejected.

It's not ambiguous. It has never been ambiguous to followers of Christianity, on any level. It is ambiguous to people outside the faith, or to those who are more closely aligned with modern secular morality than Christianity. The appeal to an unclear principle is ahistorical. Christians have argued against abortion explicitly since the end of the first century, and in continuity since.

And no, I'm not saying it's an appeal to authority. I'm saying pulling up (more relatively) modern rabbinical interpretations is not in any way an answer to what I wrote in the preceding paragraph.

Now, this is just flat out not true. You keep making statements like this I'm the one that is accused of not arguing in good faith.
Zobel
AG
I've provided evidence from the first and second centuries that explicitly condemn abortion as murder and do so in a way that appeal to and require a normative Christian understanding as such. Please provide your sources indicating the opposite.
kurt vonnegut
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Also, your critique on communication with God begs the question that you demand God to be here, today holding a press conference. Thats not how this works.

Why not? How does it work? If God isn't making the rules, who is?

one MEEN Ag
AG
Macarthur said:

File5 said:

Macarthur said:

File5 said:

Macarthur said:

I find all of this some amazing mental gymnastics to twist a vengeful God (his own words) into an all loving God.

Again, God is okay with some little one's being killed but there's a blanket order against Abortion even though it's never mentioned....

I think the responses have done a great job of responding to both of your statements here, do you have anything more of substance?
No, they haven't. Kurt beat me to the punch on a couple of these reponses. They are incredibly inadequate, IMO.

Do I need to actually post a list of why I think God doesn't really value human life?

Sure, why not? Anything is better than just calling arguments mental gymnastics and restating points that we've already addressed. Conversation requires two people honestly engaging with reasoned, supported positions, if you don't do that then there's no point to put any time into it.

I find this a bit disingenuous. I mean, you've read the Bible. You know the kind of death and carnage I'm referencing. God was either directly involved or condoning it.
God is merciful, but still a judge. God despises governments using force, death, and subjugation as tools. The OT prophets show that nations can be judged by how they treat the immigrant, widow, and orphan. All ancient Jews knew of the phrase, The Day of Our Lord. Where God's justice physically defeated the enemies of the ancient Jews.

When Egypt was given plagues and the passover happened?: The Day of Our Lord
When Babylon sacked Israel: The Day of Our Lord.
When the Assyrians sacked Babylon: The Day of Our Lord.

God admits to using governments as bearers of judgement for other governments.

Here's the twist: Jesus's sacrifice on the cross is the Day of Our Lord, but instead of vanquishing a physical opponent who has sin in their heart, He goes straight for sin itself and defeats death. Jesus, as the embodiment of God spends his ministry constantly showing that the enemy is unseen, and raising a sword against humans only ensares you in death as well. This is why Jesus tells Peter to 'get behind me satan' when Jesus reveals he is going to die soon. Peter wants Jesus to ride out into battle, Jesus dying on the cross doesn't make sense. But Jesus sees the seed of sin in Peter here- Peter thinks physically defeating opponents is the objective.

kurt vonnegut
AG
Zobel said:

If you believe that all people will be resurrected as I do then He have no less than they did.

If you are a materialist and believe that there is nothing after death, then again they are equivalent.

I don't see the distinction.

I'm sure that I've misunderstood your point here.

My understanding of Christianity is that Jesus made a great sacrifice for humanity. The act of physically experiencing pain and dying is supposed to be something exceptional and necessary for our salvation. . . . . not 'No less than they did'.

I would also say that here is distinction between a materialist sacrificing their life with no hope or expectation of reward and a God sacrificing their Sunday afternoon knowing that they will soon be back in Heaven for eternity.
one MEEN Ag
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

Zobel said:

If you believe that all people will be resurrected as I do then He have no less than they did.

If you are a materialist and believe that there is nothing after death, then again they are equivalent.

My understanding of Christianity is that Jesus made a great sacrifice for humanity. The act of physically experiencing pain and dying is supposed to be something exceptional and necessary for our salvation. . . . . not 'No less than they did'.

I would also say that here is distinction between a materialist sacrificing their life with no hope or expectation of reward and a God sacrificing their Sunday afternoon knowing that they will soon be back in Heaven for eternity.
Jesus could have been euthanized in the most humanely way possible and doesn't change anything. Its the fact he lived perfectly blameless life, came as God down in human form, and he fulfilled the prophecies of the old testament all the way back to right as Adam and Eve get kicked out of the garden. God tells the serpent, 'You will strike man's heal, but there will be one that will crush your head.' Jesus defeated death itself.

This isn't even getting into what Jesus said, and how he brings forth a new upside down kingdom. Where everyone is given love and dignity regardless of their status. Peace and forgiveness reign as humanity is given new hearts.

dermdoc
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

kurt vonnegut said:

Zobel said:

Jesus could have been euthanized in the most humanely way possible and doesn't change anything. Its the fact he lived perfectly blameless life, came as God down in human form, and he fulfilled the prophecies of the old testament all the way back to right as Adam and Eve get kicked out of the garden. 'You will strike man's heal, but there will be one that will crush your head.' Jesus defeated death itself.

This isn't even getting into what Jesus said, and how he brings forth a new upside down kingdom. Where everyone is given love and dignity regardless of their status. Peace and forgiveness reign as humanity is given new hearts.

Great post.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
File5
AG
Macarthur said:

File5 said:

Macarthur said:

File5 said:

Macarthur said:

I tell you what, as soon as you provide some specific examples that haven't been addressed in the other pages of this thread, then I'll give you a detailed response. You keep coming back with generic
catch-alls instead of supported examples of your point. It takes time to come up with a post and if one side gives nothing but empty commentary then there's no point. So give us something of substance and then I'll respond in kind.
Zobel
AG
There seems to be some kind of quantitative suffering comparison going on here. I examine it two ways.

On one - the Christian worldview. In that case, people will be resurrected to an eternal life. In this regard, His suffering is equivalent as He suffered death, which is miniscule in comparison with eternity.

On the other - the Materialist worldview. In that case, the human life is all there is, and death is the final end. If so, no death or life is greater or less than any other because all lives are as inestimably valuable as they are ultimately futile. So again they are equivalent - all men consigned to mortality, therefore death is death.

As for Christianity, I think the Incarnation and the Death and Resurrection are two separate things. The Lord became Incarnate, became Man, voluntarily to join the human nature with the divine. This I believe would have happened regardless of the fall, to complete humanity in the image and likeness of the Creator. The Incarnation wasn't a "backup plan."

However, because of the fall, sin and death had to be dealt with. This was done through the voluntary Death and Resurrection. What makes this Death exceptional is that it was truly voluntary - not only how and when He died, but that He died at all. And truly, He was not killed but died, St John makes a point repeatedly to emphasize that He laid His life down willingly, He gave up His spirit. No human can say the same.

The Lord took on human nature, and He really hungered, thirsted, suffered, sorrowed. These weren't a fiction, and they pained Him no less than they pain us. His death was every bit as tragic as any, and moreso, because it simply never had to be.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Just listened to this series recently and its awesome.

https://bibleproject.com/podcast/series/day-of-the-lord-series/

Really dives deep into what God's judgement was/wasn't + is/isn't. Details how Israel came from out from Egyptian subjugation just to live like the Egyptians when they had their own kingdom. The episode skewering King Solomon was an eye opener. He, even when given wisdom, still fell to the earthly desires of success. He subjugating people, became trade partners with known brutal regimes like Egypt for their war horses/chariots, stored up gold for himself, and took 700 wives/concubines (sweet jesus). He did this all while still being wise. Just goes to show that wisdom is independent of a heart that follows God's will. Really applicable today.

The series goes on to talk about how radical Jesus is as the messiah. He sees through us and sees the sin behind the scenes pulling the strings of our hearts. Bringing a sword down upon the oppressors of the jews will only create more oppression. The final episode is awesome. Talks about the Old testament prophecy where the messiah will ride in on a white horse before battle, where his robes are already bloody 'like wine' because he's already defeated the enemy - trampled over them like grapes crushed under a press. And then contrasts that with John's NT vision of revelations where the messiah is on a white horse, where his robes are already bloody but its the Messiah's own blood, but he has still already defeated the enemy! Just an incredible twist on the context that ancient jews would understand and go 'ah ha!' immediately.
Zobel
AG
Isaiah 63 is my one of favorites for Pascha because of that verse, 63:3 and how it is revealed in Revelation.
Macarthur
File5 said:

Macarthur said:

File5 said:

Macarthur said:

File5 said:

Macarthur said:

I tell you what, as soon as you provide some specific examples that haven't been addressed in the other pages of this thread, then I'll give you a detailed response. You keep coming back with generic
catch-alls instead of supported examples of your point. It takes time to come up with a post and if one side gives nothing but empty commentary then there's no point. So give us something of substance and then I'll respond in kind.

Here's a list courtesy of Steve Wells. His point here was to attach a number on how many, but I'm not as concerned with the number so I don't want this to devolve into a pissing match over the numbers of dead. The first number is what the Bible estimates but the second number is Wells estimate. Again, not that interested in the number.

The Flood of Noah
Gen 7:23

Abraham's war to rescue Lot
Gen 14:17-19

Sodom and Gomorrah
Gen 19:24

Lot's wife
Gen 19:26
While they were sore, Dinah's brethren slew all the males
Gen 34:1-31, Judith 9:2-3
Er for being wicked in the sight of the Lord
Gen 38:7
Onan for spilling his seed
Gen 38:10
A seven year worldwide famine
Gen 41:25-54

There will be blood: The first plague of Egypt
Ex 7:15-27 , Wis 11:7-8

The seventh plague: hail
Ex 9:25

Firstborn Egyptian children
Ex 12:29-30

The Lord took off their chariot wheels
Ex 14:8-26
Amalekites
Ex 17:13

Who is on the Lord's side?: Forcing friends and family to kill each other
Ex 32:27-28
Aaron's golden calf
Ex 32:35

God burns Aaron's sons to death for offering "strange fire"
Lev 10:1-3
A blasphemer is stoned to death
Lev 24:10-23
When the people complained, God burned them to death
Num 11:1

While the flesh was still between their teeth, the Lord smote them will a very great plague
Num 11:33

Ten scouts are killed for their honest report
Num 14:35-45
A man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day is stoned to death
Num 15:32-35
Korah, his companions, and their families are buried alive
Num 16:27
God burns 250 people to death for burning incense
Num 16:35
God kills 14,700 for complaining about God's killings
Num 16:49
The massacre of the Aradies
Num 21:1-2

God sent serpents to bite people for complaining about the lack of food and water
Num 21:6

Phineas's double murder: A killing to end God's killing
Num 25:1-11
The Midianite massacre: Have ye saved all the women alive?
Num 31:1-35
God slowly killed the Israelite army
Dt 2:14-16

God the giant killer
Dt 2:21-22

God hardens King Sihon's heart so all his people can be killed
Dt 2:33-34
Og and all the men women, and children in 60 cities
Dt 3:6
The Jericho massacre
Jos 6:21

Achan and his family
Jos 7:10-26
The Ai massacre
Jos 8:1-25
God stops the sun so Joshua can get his killing done in the daylight
Jos 10:10-11

Five kings killed and hung on trees
Jos 10:26
Joshua utterly destroyed all that breathed as the Lord commanded
Jos 10:28-42
The genocide of twenty cities: There was not any left to breathe
Jos 11:8-12
The Anakim: some more giant killing
Jos 11:20-21

The Lord delivered the Canaanites and Perizzites
Jg 1:4
The Jerusalem massacre
Jg 1:8

Five massacres, a wedding, and God-proof iron chariots
Jg 1:9-25

The Lord delivered Chushanrishathaim
Jg 3:7-10
Ehud delivers a message from God
Jg 3:15-22
God delivers 10,000 lusty Moabites
Jg 3:28-29
Shamgar killed 600 Philistines with an ox goad
Jg 3:31
Barak and God massacre the Canaanites
Jg 4:15-16

Jael pounds a tent stake through a sleeping man's skull
Jg 4:18-22
Gideon's story: The Lord set every man's sword against his fellow
Jg 7:22
A city is massacred and 1000 burn to death because of God's evil spirit
Jg 9:23-27
The Ammonite massacre
Jg 11:32-33

Jephthah's daughter
Jg 11:39
42,000 die for failing the "shibboleth" test
Jg 12:4-7
Samson murdered 30 men for their clothes
Jg 14:19
Samson killed 1000 men with the jawbone of an ass
Jg 15:14-15
Samson killed 3000 in a suicide terrorist attack
Jg 16:27-30
A holy civil war (it had something to do with rotting concubine body part messages)
Jg 20:35-37
The end of Judges: two genocides and 200 stolen virgins
Jg 21:10-14

God killed Eli's sons and 34,000 Israelite soldiers
1 Sam 2:25, 4:11
God smote them with hemorrhoids in their secret parts
1 Sam 5:1-12

50,070 killed for looking into the ark of the Lord
1 Sam 6:19
The Lord thundered a great thunder upon the Philistines
1 Sam 7:10-11

Another Ammonite massacre (and another God-inspired body part message)
1 Sam 11:6-13

Jonathan's first slaughter
1 Sam 14:12-14
God forces the Philistines to kill each other
1 Sam 14:20

The Amalekite genocide
1 Sam 15:2-3

Samuel hacks Agag to death before the Lord
1 Sam 15:32-33
In the valley of Elah: Goliath
1 Sam 17:51, 2 Sam 21:19
David buys a wife with 200 Philistine foreskins
1 Sam 18:27
The Lord said to David, Go and smite the Philistines
1 Sam 23:2-5

God killed Nabal (and David got his wife and other stuff)
1 Sam 25:38
David commits random acts of genocide for the Philistines
1 Sam 27:8-11

David spends the day killing Amalekites
1 Sam 30:17

God kills Saul, his sons, and his soldiers (because Saul didn't kill all the Amalekites)
1 Sam 31:2, 2 Chr 10:6
David kills the messenger
2 Sam 1:15
David killed, mutilated, and hung Rechab and Baanah
2 Sam 4:12
God helps David smite the Philistines from the front and the rear
2 Sam 5:19-25

God killed Uzzah for trying to keep the ark from falling
2 Sam 6:6-7, 1 Chr 13:9-10
David killed two-thirds of the Moabite POWs and enslaved the rest
2 Sam 8:2

And the Lord gave David victory wherever he went
2 Sam 8 - 10
David killed every male in Edom
2 Sam 8:13-14, 1 Kg 11:15-16, 1 Chr 18:12, Ps 60:1
Thus did David do to all the children of Ammon
2 Sam 11:1, 1 Chr 20:1

God slowly kills a baby
2 Sam 12:14-18
Seven sons of Saul are hung up before the Lord
2 Sam 21:1-9
David's mighty men and their amazing killings
2 Sam 23, 1 Chr 11
God killed 70,000 because of David had a census that God (or Satan) told him to do
2 Sam 24:15, 1 Chr 21:14
Solomon murdered Job and Shimei (per David's deathbed wish)
1 Kg 2:29-46
A tale of two prophets
1 Kg 13:11-24
Jeroboam's son: God kills another child
1 Kg 14:17
Jeroboam's family
1 Kg 15:29

Baasha's family and friends
1 Kg 16:11-12

Zimri burns to death
1 Kg 16:18-19
The drought of Elijah
1 Kg 17:1, Luke 4:25, James 5:17-18

Elijah kills 450 religious leaders in a prayer contest
1 Kg 18:22-40
The first God-assisted slaughter of the Syrians
1 Kg 20:20-21

God killed 100,000 Syrians for calling him a god of the hills
1 Kg 20:28-29
God killed 27,000 Syrians by making a wall fall on them
1 Kg 20:30
God sent a lion to kill a man for not smiting a prophet
1 Kg 20:35-36
God killed Ahab for not killing a captured king
1 Kg 20:42, 22:35
God burned 102 men to death for asking Elijah to come down from his hill
2 Kg 1:10-12
God killed Ahaziah for asking the wrong God
2 Kg 1:16-17, 2 Chr 22:7-9
God sent bears to kill 42 boys for making fun of a prophet's bald head
2 Kg 2:23-24
The Lord delivered the Moabites
2 Kg 3:18-25

A skeptic is trampled to death
2 Kg 7:2-20
God's seven year famine
2 Kg 8:1

Jehoram of Israel
2 Kg 9:24
Jezebel
2 Kg 9:33-37
Ahab's sons: 70 heads in two baskets
2 Kg 10:6-10
Ahab's hometown family, friends, and priests
2 Kg 10:11

Jehu killed Ahaziah's family
2 Kg 10:12-13, 2 Chr 22:7-9
Jehu and his partner kill the rest of Ahab's family
2 Kg 10:17

Jehu assembled the followers of Baal and then slaughtered them all
2 Kg 10:18-25

Mattan the priest of Baal and Queen Athaliah
2 Kg 11:17-20
God sent lions to eat those who didn't fear him enough
2 Kg 17:25-26

An angel killed 185,000 sleeping soldiers
2 Kg 19:34, 37:36
God caused King Sennacherib to be killed by his sons
2 Kg 19:37, Tobit 1:21
Josiah killed all the priests of the high places
2 Kg 23:20

Just another holy war
1 Chr 5:18-22

God killed a half million Israelite soldiers
2 Chr 13:17-18
Jeroboam
2 Chr 13:20
God killed a million Ethiopians
2 Chr 14:9-14
Friendly fire: God forced "a great multitude" to kill each other
2 Chr 20:22-25

God made Jehoram's bowels fall out
2 Chr 21:14-19
God killed Jehoram's sons
2 Chr 22:1

Ahaziah of Judah
2 Chr 22:7-8
Joash, the princes, and army of Judah
2 Chr 24:20-25
God destroyed Amaziah
2 Chr 25:15-27
God smote Ahaz with the king of Syria
2 Chr 28:1-5
God killed 120,000 valiant men for forsaking him
2 Chr 28:6
The fall of Jerusalem
2 Chr 36:16-17

The Purim killings: God hath done these things
Esther 2 - 9, 10:4
God and Satan kill Job's children and slaves
Job 1:18-19
Hananiah
Jer 28:15-16
Ezekiel's wife
Ezek 24:15-18
Oh! Susanna
Dan 13:6-62
Judith is blessed above all women (for cutting off a sleeping man's head)
Judith 13:6-10
The Judith massacre: hang ye up this head upon our walls
Judith 15:1-6

Mathathias's double murder
1 Mac 2:24-25
Mathathias and his friends slay the wicked sinners
1 Mac 2:44

God killed Andronicus, the sacrilegious wretch
2 Mac 4:38
A Jewish mob killed Lysimachus, the sacrilegious fellow
2 Mac 4:42
God helped Judas Machabeus destroy the wicked
1 Mac 3:1-26, 2 Mac 8:5-6
Judas and his unarmed men kill 3000 of Gorgias's soldiers
1 Mac 3:44-4:24
The Hanukkah killings
1 Mac 4:34-5:7
The Machabees brothers slaughter the heathens
1 Mac 5:21-51
Nicanor's army: The Almighty being their helper, they slew above nine thousand men
1 Mac 7:32-47, 2 Mac 8:24, 15:27
Jonathan and Simon destroy the wicked out of Israel
1 Mac 9:46-49, 2 Mac 8:30-33, 10:61
Five heavenly horsemen cast darts and fireballs at the enemy
2 Mac 8:32-10:38
God killed Antiochus with an incurable bowel disease
2 Mac 9:5-28
Idumeans, traitors, and Jews in two towers
2 Mac 10:16-17
Nicanor's head: A manifest sign of the help of God
1 Mac 7:33-48, 2 Mac 15:1-35
Aliens at Cades
1 Mac 11:74
John burns to death 2000 in the tower of Azotus
1 Mac 16:10
God sent wasps to slowly destroy people
Wisdom 12:8-9

Ananias and Sapphira
Acts 5:5-10
Herod Aggripa
Acts 12:23
Jesus
Rom 8:32, 1 Pet 1:1820

Totals
dermdoc
AG
One of the hardest things in my Christian walk is to read the OT through the lens of Jesus. And understand the bloodshed apparently condoned by God.

I have come to the conclusion that God is God and I am not. The Creator has dominion over His creation. Since I know God can not sin, and is good, then all of the actions of the OT were just and part of God's plan.

I also know that we are not God and are commanded not to murder.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
https://redeeminggod.com/drunk-with-blood-steve-wells/

Interesting read. And yes, we have to acknowledge the violence in the Bible.
Macarthur
dermdoc said:

One of the hardest things in my Christian walk is to read the OT through the lens of Jesus. And understand the bloodshed apparently condoned by God.

I have come to the conclusion that God is God and I am not. The Creator has dominion over His creation. Since I know God can not sin, and is good, then all of the actions of the OT were just and part of God's plan.

While we are on diff sides of the discussion, I respect this answer.
dermdoc
AG
Thanks. And I think you have to look at the entire Bible and the beauty of the gospel and Jesus's sacrifice. And how much God loves each of us as demonstrated by this act.
Quad Dog
AG
Macarthur said:

dermdoc said:

While we are on diff sides of the discussion, I respect this answer.
I agree it's a respectable answer. I'd argue it seems like you knew the answer before you asked the question and justified yourself into the answer you already had.
Sapper Redux
Zobel said:

This is a bad faith representation and no Christian would agree with it.

How's that? Do you actually have a say in whether you're born or not? Or the circumstances of your birth? Do you have a say in whether you have to abide by God's rules, no matter how illogical they appear? If you refuse to abide by those rules, are you not punished?
dermdoc
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Zobel said:

This is a bad faith representation and no Christian would agree with it.

How's that? Do you actually have a say in whether you're born or not? Or the circumstances of your birth? Do you have a say in whether you have to abide by God's rules, no matter how illogical they appear? If you refuse to abide by those rules, are you not punished?
No.
No.
Yes
Yes

But the "punishment" is like what a loving father would administer to their kids. The prodigal son is an example in my opinion.
dermdoc
AG
And fwiw, I thought a lot of my parents "rules" were illogical also.

Now I realize they were for my own good.
Joe Boudain
There are so many people here trying to explain away their fervent belief in the righteousness of abortion, it can only be explained by demonic oppression.

It wasn't always this way, abortion proponents USED to say it was horrible but sometimes appropriate given circumstance. We've gone from "safe, legal and rare" to "top bidder gets to have me shout out their name during my livestreamed abortion procedure"

Zobel
AG

Quote:

It's not a set of rules any more than gravity or fire is a set of rules. You jump off of a high structure you will get hurt. You touch something hot you will get burned.

The entire way you've framed it is as if is arbitrary. God's up there with an unwinnable game and a list of gotchas and provisos, then as soon as a person has an oops he gleefully "kills or tortures them without recourse". There's no good faith to describing it as "any deviation can result in eternal torture." It's ridiculous and in no way represents the faith of Christianity.

God doesn't tell Adam "if you do this I will kill you" but "if you do this you will die." There is no way you think that what you said is a reasonable explanation of the Christian faith.
barbacoa taco
AG
Joe Boudain said:

There are so many people here trying to explain away their fervent belief in the righteousness of abortion, it can only be explained by demonic oppression.

It wasn't always this way, abortion proponents USED to say it was horrible but sometimes appropriate given circumstance. We've gone from "safe, legal and rare" to "top bidder gets to have me shout out their name during my livestreamed abortion procedure"
Yeah, no one is saying that, dude. We do think it should be safe, legal, and rare.

Contrary to the f16 narrative, most pro choicers are not gung ho enthusiastic about abortion. We just think it should be a legally available option because outlawing it causes too many problems and each pregnant woman is going through her own personal situation that the government doesn't need to intervene in.

We also think there are other, more effective ways at reducing abortions, that the American right seems completely uninterested in entertaining.
Zobel
AG
Every person ever is going through their own personal situation. This argument could be extended to excusing more or less any crime. Government exists to protect individuals from other individuals. I can think of no better case for government intervention than protecting innocents from having their lives ended.
Joe Boudain
larry culpepper said:

Joe Boudain said:

Yeah, no one is saying that, dude. We do think it should be safe, legal, and rare.

Contrary to the f16 narrative, most pro choicers are not gung ho enthusiastic about abortion. We just think it should be a legally available option because outlawing it causes too many problems and each pregnant woman is going through her own personal situation that the government doesn't need to intervene in.

We also think there are other, more effective ways at reducing abortions, that the American right seems completely uninterested in entertaining.
We're on page 12 of a thread where a bunch of pro-aborts are throwing every excuse in the book from "it's a woman's right to choose, God's evil, how do we even know God doesn't like murder, where in the bible does it say abortion is bad", so forgive me if I'm missing the "this is terrible but not our place to regulate" dissertation.
Star Wars Memes Only
Joe Boudain said:

"top bidder gets to have me shout out their name during my livestreamed abortion procedure"

barbacoa taco
AG
It's natural for threads to get way off topic after this many pages.

And people are voicing strong opinions about it and getting angry because our governor is dead set on making it 100% illegal. That's going to bring lots of opinionated people out of the woodwork.

I'd say all the Bible/God stuff is coming up because religion is the direct reason why our state government is passing these new laws, and many of us nonreligious people have some serious problems with people imposing their religious views on others. I obviously have no issue with people personally being against abortion. I do have problems with said people thinking their views should be the law. Not everyone thinks that terminating a pregnancy in the early stages of pregnancy is tantamount to murder, and a lot of people take issue with the vigilante system that this new law allows.

Point being, no one is "thrilled" about abortion and it's a very personal decision for the pregnant woman. I'm just saying it should be a legal option and there are other, more effective ways to drive down the numbers.
Zobel
AG
Without invoking religion please explain why it's ok to abort a fetus at 3 months but not 6, or after birth, or two months after birth.

Thanks.
one MEEN Ag
AG
larry culpepper said:

Joe Boudain said:

You have dodged this three times now. I have explicitly pointed out that abortions are not rare and restrictions do work in reducing overall abortion numbers.

Your own reasoning belies that you don't consider fetuses as human. Hemorrhoids are a 'personal situation.' Abortions are murder.

https://freakonomics.com/podcast/abortion/

I'm going to keep bringing this up until you listen to that podcast, because you enjoy peddling false information on this board about the rate of abortions, and the effectiveness of restricting abortions.

Remember, that podcast is showing a bonafide link that abortion rates show up as a drop in crime. You can see crime drop 14-18 years later in areas that have newfound abortion access. The bedrock of this study is that if you increase availability of abortions-the total number will go up. All of their research is built upon that. I for one, don't care about the increase in crime, I don't believe crime increase should be a death sentence.
Star Wars Memes Only
larry culpepper said:

I'd say all the Bible/God stuff is coming up because religion is the direct reason why our state government is passing these new laws, and many of us nonreligious people have some serious problems with people imposing their religious views on others. I obviously have no issue with people personally being against abortion. I do have problems with said people thinking their views should be the law. Not everyone thinks that terminating a pregnancy in the early stages of pregnancy is tantamount to murder, and a lot of people take issue with the vigilante system that this new law allows.

I'm always curious when I hear this argument, what are religious people supposed to do when it comes to politics? If they didn't allow their religion to play a part they would essentially have two choices: don't participate or violate their conscience.
Sapper Redux
Zobel said:

Quote:

It's not a set of rules any more than gravity or fire is a set of rules. You jump off of a high structure you will get hurt. You touch something hot you will get burned.

The entire way you've framed it is as if is arbitrary. God's up there with an unwinnable game and a list of gotchas and provisos, then as soon as a person has an oops he gleefully "kills or tortures them without recourse". There's no good faith to describing it as "any deviation can result in eternal torture." It's ridiculous and in no way represents the faith of Christianity.

God doesn't tell Adam "if you do this I will kill you" but "if you do this you will die." There is no way you think that what you said is a reasonable explanation of the Christian faith.

Except in this case, there's no functional difference between an omnipotent being killing you and allowing you to die. Those are essentially the same. It's also still the case that you have no say in the game. You're part of it regardless of whether you want to be or not. You have essentially no rights.
Sapper Redux
Zobel said:

Without invoking religion please explain why it's ok to abort a fetus at 3 months but not 6, or after birth, or two months after birth.

Thanks.

A fetus at 6 months is capable of surviving outside of the womb. It is capable of life independent of the one carrying it.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Zobel said:

Quote:

Except in this case, there's no functional difference between an omnipotent being killing you and allowing you to die. Those are essentially the same. It's also still the case that you have no say in the game. You're part of it regardless of whether you want to be or not. You have essentially no rights.

Then your version of free will requires immortality and to be above the physical laws of this universe. You demand to not die and not be bound by gravity.

Humanity has always wanted to be God instead of in His image.
Zobel
AG
Terrible argument. Children aren't independent for years after birth and require constant attention to stay alive.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.