Since we're doing abortion again

18,819 Views | 491 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by one MEEN Ag
jrico2727
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
larry culpepper said:

jrico2727 said:

larry culpepper said:

Joe Boudain said:

dargscisyhp said:

Homie, trust me, I find some of your views just as vile.

Which ones? As vile as killing babies?
I'll go ahead and start with the notion that we should force teenage rape victims to carry their babies to term and provide for it with zero government assistance, on minimum wage, all while being forced to deal with the trauma from it.
How does it help a teenage rape victim mentally to then add to their trauma the guilt of murder? Evil added to evil doesn't lead to less evil.
Are you a woman? Have you been raped? Have you been pregnant?
My anatomy doesn't determine my ability to know right from wrong. Poor effort on your part.
Please let me know how 2 evils = 1 good
AGC
AG
jrico2727 said:

larry culpepper said:

jrico2727 said:

larry culpepper said:

Joe Boudain said:

dargscisyhp said:

I'll go ahead and start with the notion that we should force teenage rape victims to carry their babies to term and provide for it with zero government assistance, on minimum wage, all while being forced to deal with the trauma from it.
How does it help a teenage rape victim mentally to then add to their trauma the guilt of murder? Evil added to evil doesn't lead to less evil.
My anatomy doesn't determine my ability to know right from wrong. Poor effort on your part.

He's never been murdered or died. If experience is required to opine on something perhaps he should sit this one out?
dermdoc
AG
Well I think abortion is evil to the core my friend.

We will agree to disagree.

And I believe citizens can do the same "vigilante" actions in most crimes. Especially murder.

It all comes down to whether you believe it is murder or not.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
barbacoa taco
AG
jrico2727 said:

larry culpepper said:

jrico2727 said:

larry culpepper said:

Joe Boudain said:

dargscisyhp said:

You dont have to experience something to have an opinion on it, but I do find it interesting how it's usually men telling rape victims to suck it up and pony up the cash to provide for a kid they didn't ask for for the next 18 years.

Also you didn't bother to address the remainder of my points.
Joe Boudain
larry culpepper said:

Joe Boudain said:

dargscisyhp said:

That's my belief? How did you come to that conclusion?
Joe Boudain
kurt vonnegut said:

What is Hell like and who goes there? Obviously you haven't been to Hell and you aren't the one that decides who goes there. What do you believe it is like?
The only way that I can possibly describe Hell is as bad, as I believe Hell is nothing more than the absence of God, who is perfectly good. Whether it's Dantean fire and brimstone and torment by demons or more CS Lewis's anguish at being able to comprehend perfect love while not being able to participate in it; let's just go with "bad"

People who willfully reject Jesus Christ and/or the "code of behavior"/conscience inherent to all creation go there.
Joe Boudain
larry culpepper said:

dermdoc said:

larry culpepper said:

dermdoc said:

Again with all due respect, they can still get an bottom until the heartbeat which I believe is six months, correct?

However horrid rape is, that is not what this is about.

This is about limiting abortion for convenience which is the vast majority of abortions. And consensual sex not rape.
Because of how extreme the new law is, yes it absolutely is about these extreme circumstances. Rape, incest, fetal deformities where the mother knows the baby wont survive outside the womb. Extreme situations that no one ever wants to be put in, that cause a world of pain for the mother. This is why I believe abortion should be legal. And it's why I think laws that completely disregard these situations and add to the pain, are evil.

Yes I am aware people get abortions for convenience. If you don't like that, fine. I don't like it either. But I have read up enough on this to know that making them self-administer illegal abortions isn't the answer either. I have always advocated for solutions that actually lower unplanned pregnancies and therefore abortions, such as comprehensive education and wider access to contraceptives that have PROVEN to work in other states and countries that have taken that approach.

But for some reason we keep harping on making abortion illegal, which when it all boils down to it just makes it illegal for low income women. Rich Republican men will always find a way to get their girlfriends, wives, and mistresses an abortion.
Really man. Bad bull.

There are so many straw men in your post it is difficult to discuss. We have rape victims and congenital problems which are a minuscule part of the abortion equation as you know.

Then the "rich, Republican card? C'mon man. No need for stooping to this kind of caricature.

It all comes down to whether you believe abortion is murder as I do. If you do not think it is murder then everything becomes relative.
I don't feel bad about pulling the rich Republican card because it's true. I'm not saying you are included in that group, but if their woman needs an abortion they'll get it for them as they always have. This affects low and middle income women. And I'm picking on Republicans because they vote for and pass these types of laws.

Abortion is by far the most controversial subject in American political discourse and will continue to be for a long time. I do not believe that it is murder in the first trimester. I am not sure about the early stages of the second. And I think society agrees with me on that. We do not count them on the census, we do not have funerals for miscarriages, and we do not arrest and prosecute women who miscarry or have a period that contains fertilized eggs (though with Greg Abbott as governor this can never be ruled out).

We can downplay these "rare" situations all you want but they are absolutely relevant when the laws we pass do not provide exceptions for them.
We do have funerals for miscarriages. Absolutely. I consider myself to have 5 children even though I only have 2 living. Anyone who doesn't is only doing so to hide the pain.
barbacoa taco
AG
Joe Boudain said:

larry culpepper said:

dermdoc said:

larry culpepper said:

dermdoc said:

Again with all due respect, they can still get an bottom until the heartbeat which I believe is six months, correct?

This is about limiting abortion for convenience which is the vast majority of abortions. And consensual sex not rape.
Because of how extreme the new law is, yes it absolutely is about these extreme circumstances. Rape, incest, fetal deformities where the mother knows the baby wont survive outside the womb. Extreme situations that no one ever wants to be put in, that cause a world of pain for the mother. This is why I believe abortion should be legal. And it's why I think laws that completely disregard these situations and add to the pain, are evil.

Yes I am aware people get abortions for convenience. If you don't like that, fine. I don't like it either. But I have read up enough on this to know that making them self-administer illegal abortions isn't the answer either. I have always advocated for solutions that actually lower unplanned pregnancies and therefore abortions, such as comprehensive education and wider access to contraceptives that have PROVEN to work in other states and countries that have taken that approach.

But for some reason we keep harping on making abortion illegal, which when it all boils down to it just makes it illegal for low income women. Rich Republican men will always find a way to get their girlfriends, wives, and mistresses an abortion.
Really man. Bad bull.

There are so many straw men in your post it is difficult to discuss. We have rape victims and congenital problems which are a minuscule part of the abortion equation as you know.

Then the "rich, Republican card? C'mon man. No need for stooping to this kind of caricature.

It all comes down to whether you believe abortion is murder as I do. If you do not think it is murder then everything becomes relative.
I don't feel bad about pulling the rich Republican card because it's true. I'm not saying you are included in that group, but if their woman needs an abortion they'll get it for them as they always have. This affects low and middle income women. And I'm picking on Republicans because they vote for and pass these types of laws.

Abortion is by far the most controversial subject in American political discourse and will continue to be for a long time. I do not believe that it is murder in the first trimester. I am not sure about the early stages of the second. And I think society agrees with me on that. We do not count them on the census, we do not have funerals for miscarriages, and we do not arrest and prosecute women who miscarry or have a period that contains fertilized eggs (though with Greg Abbott as governor this can never be ruled out).

We can downplay these "rare" situations all you want but they are absolutely relevant when the laws we pass do not provide exceptions for them.
We do have funerals for miscarriages. Absolutely. I consider myself to have 5 children even though I only have 2 living. Anyone who doesn't is only doing so to hide the pain.
I'm sorry to hear that.

And I'm glad no one sued you or your wife for any of those 3 miscarriages as suspected abortions, which they can do under this new Texas law. They can sue both her and you for aiding and abetting an abortion. Even if you didn't have one, they could have reasonable suspicion you did. Then you are tied up in a legal battle, spending money on lawyers while you are going through an incredibly painful family situation and dealing with an evil, malicious bully who wants some money from you because you might have aborted one of those babies, even though you didn't. There's a chance they could convince a jury you did, though. Then you're on the hook for $10k plus their attorney's fees.

I'm so glad that didn't happen to you. That would have been so evil to put you through that.
barbacoa taco
AG
Joe Boudain said:

kurt vonnegut said:

What is Hell like and who goes there? Obviously you haven't been to Hell and you aren't the one that decides who goes there. What do you believe it is like?
The only way that I can possibly describe Hell is as bad, as I believe Hell is nothing more than the absence of God, who is perfectly good. Whether it's Dantean fire and brimstone and torment by demons or more CS Lewis's anguish at being able to comprehend perfect love while not being able to participate in it; let's just go with "bad"

People who willfully reject Jesus Christ and/or the "code of behavior"/conscience inherent to all creation go there.
If heaven is full of people like Donald Trump, Greg Abbott, Dan Patrick, and the regular forum 16 posters, then hell doesn't sound all that bad, honestly.
dermdoc
AG
Heaven will be about communion with God. Not people.

Don't miss it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
larry culpepper said:

Joe Boudain said:

larry culpepper said:

dermdoc said:

larry culpepper said:

dermdoc said:

Really man. Bad bull.

I'm sorry to hear that.

And I'm glad no one sued you or your wife for any of those 3 miscarriages as suspected abortions, which they can do under this new Texas law. They can sue both her and you for aiding and abetting an abortion. Even if you didn't have one, they could have reasonable suspicion you did. Then you are tied up in a legal battle, spending money on lawyers while you are going through an incredibly painful family situation and dealing with an evil, malicious bully who wants some money from you because you might have aborted one of those babies, even though you didn't. There's a chance they could convince a jury you did, though. Then you're on the hook for $10k plus their attorney's fees.

I'm so glad that didn't happen to you. That would have been so evil to put you through that.
C'mon man.
barbacoa taco
AG
dermdoc said:

larry culpepper said:

Joe Boudain said:

larry culpepper said:

dermdoc said:

larry culpepper said:

dermdoc said:

Really man. Bad bull.

I'm sorry to hear that.

C'mon man.
What exactly are you "cmon man"-ing me about? I'm not exaggerating. This is precisely what the law allows, without restriction to subject matter, county of suit, or standing of the plaintiff. Even if the plaintiff loses, he can put people through a world of pain and make them spend a lot of money.

This is an evil law that will have evil consequences and it's a ****ing travesty the Supreme Court is allowing it.

Yes, I'm angry.
jrico2727
AG
Not to speak for Doc but I am pretty sure he was referring to your disgusting tantrum.
Where you are mocking the death of someone' s children for the love of abortion.
And the law to protect life is evil?
dermdoc
AG
How often do you believe what you said will happen in real life? What lawyer is going to take those cases? There is no money in them. This is red meat to their voters. Just like the dems ,ones giveaway stuff.

And do you have any idea how miscarriages usually happen? Doctors are witnesses. Or health care personnel.
Joe Boudain
larry culpepper said:

Joe Boudain said:

larry culpepper said:

dermdoc said:

larry culpepper said:

dermdoc said:

Really man. Bad bull.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I think the chances of that happening are extremely slim which is I'm not worried about being charged with a suspected abortion regardless of what happens in the future. Reasonable suspicion is reasonable suspicion and miscarrying does not reach that standard, nor do I believe it reasonable for you to worry that it would.

barbacoa taco
AG
jrico2727 said:

Not to speak for Doc but I am pretty sure he was referring to your disgusting tantrum.
Where you are mocking the death of someone' s children for the love of abortion.
Mocking? How in the world was I mocking that poster's situation?

I am sorry that happened to his family, and I am glad he were not put through additional unnecessary pain that would absolutely have been allowed under this law.

edit: different poster
dermdoc
AG
larry culpepper said:

jrico2727 said:

Mocking? How in the world was I mocking that poster's situation?

I am sorry that happened to his family, and I am glad he were not put through additional unnecessary pain that would absolutely have been allowed under this law.

edit: different poster
Never will happen to somebody who has miscarriages as described.
barbacoa taco
AG
dermdoc said:

How often do you believe what you said will happen in real life? What lawyer is going to take those cases? There is no money in them. This is red meat to their voters. Just like the dems ,ones giveaway stuff.

And do you have any idea how miscarriages usually happen? Doctors are witnesses. Or health care personnel.
I think you are in for a world of surprise if you dont think these frivolous suits are going to happen. Again, the plaintiff gets an automatic 10k plus fees if they win. If the defendant wins, she gets nothing other than a dismissal. So there's no risk to filing them.

Red meat? Sorry, but that is not an okay reason to pass a blatantly unconstitutional and malicious law. I don't care if the voters "like it." I can absolutely see some right wing lawyers taking these cases. It's foolish to think something that is permitted under this law wont happen, especially in this incredibly divisive time in our country.
AGC
AG
larry culpepper said:

Joe Boudain said:

larry culpepper said:

dermdoc said:

larry culpepper said:

dermdoc said:

Really man. Bad bull.

I'm sorry to hear that.

How is a miscarriage a moral act? What agency is involved?
dermdoc
AG
You know any attorneys who will work for court sanctioned fees and 4K? I don't.

I thought Roe v Wade was unconstitutional as it was based on an invented right. How is this unconstitutional? Is there a right to kill your baby in the Constitution? I can not find one.

I was on the wrong side then as far as my beliefs. You are now. The US Supreme Coirt decide the Texas law was legal.

Just like with Roe v Wade, Obamacare, immigration, etc. As Obama said, elections have consequences.

barbacoa taco
AG
Joe Boudain said:

larry culpepper said:

Joe Boudain said:

larry culpepper said:

dermdoc said:

larry culpepper said:

dermdoc said:

Really man. Bad bull.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I think the chances of that happening are extremely slim which is I'm not worried about being charged with a suspected abortion regardless of what happens in the future. Reasonable suspicion is reasonable suspicion and miscarrying does not reach that standard, nor do I believe it reasonable for you to worry that it would.
I think it's naive to think this wont happen.

Consider this scenario.

Couple tells friends they are pregnant. Yay. Let's celebrate. They tell more people and news spreads.

Weeks pass. Couple gets devastating news. They are heartbroken. They are not ready to tell people and are keeping the situation private as they work through their pain.

Well news had already spread to Joe Schmo who is active in the local right to life chapter. He is very politically active and has sued numerous abortion providers in the county.

He sees the woman out and about but not showing. Wait, didn't she announce she was pregnant months ago? Something fishy is going on here. She may have gotten an abortion and not told anyone. Or maybe she's lying and saying she miscarried.

Joe Schmo isn't going to stand for this. Joe files suit against the couple. Her for aborting and the husband on suspicion of him driving her to the clinic. No risk in filing, worst case scenario it gets dismissed. Best case he gets MONEY!!

Now the couple is stuck litigating a case and spending money on lawyers because of some nosey ******* who thinks he's being noble and in reality is just reopening a wound.

If you think this won't happen, you are being naive.
dermdoc
AG
larry culpepper said:

Joe Boudain said:

larry culpepper said:

Joe Boudain said:

larry culpepper said:

dermdoc said:

larry culpepper said:

dermdoc said:

Really man. Bad bull.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Consider this scenario.

Couple tells friends they are pregnant. Yay. Let's celebrate. They tell more people and news spreads.

Weeks pass. Couple gets devastating news. They are heartbroken. They are not ready to tell people and are keeping the situation private as they work through their pain.

Well news had already spread to Joe Schmo who is active in the local right to life chapter. He is very politically active and has sued numerous abortion providers in the county.

He sees the woman out and about but not showing. Wait, didn't she announce she was pregnant months ago? Something fishy is going on here. She may have gotten an abortion and not told anyone. Or maybe she's lying and saying she miscarried.

Joe Schmo isn't going to stand for this. Joe files suit against the couple. Her for aborting and the husband on suspicion of him driving her to the clinic. No risk in filing, worst case scenario it gets dismissed. Best case he gets MONEY!!

Now the couple is stuck litigating a case and spending money on lawyers because of some nosey ******* who thinks he's being noble and in reality is just reopening a wound.

You skipped the part of how the miscarriage happens and is handled medically.

And with all due respect, I hope your heart is changed regarding unborn lives.

This is religion, not politics and I am going to stop.
barbacoa taco
AG
Respectfully I dont think you are grasping how far reaching this law is and how much leeway it gives to these plaintiffs in these situations. How a miscarriage happens and is handled does not affect this.

this topic is inherently both political and religious. I just prefer to discuss it here because that other board is an uncivilized, hateful dumpster fire.
RebelE Infantry
AG
larry culpepper said:

Joe Boudain said:

larry culpepper said:

Joe Boudain said:

larry culpepper said:

dermdoc said:

larry culpepper said:

dermdoc said:

Really man. Bad bull.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Consider this scenario.

I will not consider your hysterical and wildly improbable scenario.

We're gunna ban abortion. Stop your whinging and deal with it.
barbacoa taco
AG
Ridicule it all you want. The law directly allows for situations like this.

I fully expect the courts to be clogged with frivolous lawsuits (as in way more than there already are) in the coming months.
GoIrish113
The law doesn't permit a suit against the woman, so it would immediately be dismissed.
RebelE Infantry
AG
Seethe harder. We're not going to allow baby killing anymore.
Joe Boudain
larry culpepper said:

Joe Boudain said:

larry culpepper said:

Joe Boudain said:

larry culpepper said:

dermdoc said:

larry culpepper said:

dermdoc said:

Really man. Bad bull.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Consider this scenario.

This is maybe the most ridiculous example I've ever heard about. It sounds like a Daily Kos caricature of someone whose never actually met a conservative or a christian.

Also, are you sure it allows people to sue women? I thought it was just the clinics?
Macarthur
Joe Boudain said:

larry culpepper said:

Joe Boudain said:

larry culpepper said:

Joe Boudain said:

larry culpepper said:

dermdoc said:

larry culpepper said:

dermdoc said:

Really man. Bad bull.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Consider this scenario.

This is maybe the most ridiculous example I've ever heard about. It sounds like a Daily Kos caricature of someone whose never actually met a conservative or a christian.

Also, are you sure it allows people to sue women? I thought it was just the clinics?

YOu been watching some of these school board and city council meetings? His example is absolutely not ridiculous and you are being incredibly cavalier or naive.
kurt vonnegut
AG
dermdoc said:

And this is the dividing point, is it murder or is it not? I think it is.

A quick aside -

It isn't just a question about whether one considers it murder or not. It depends on the reasons for which that person thinks it is murder. If the reason is religious, then the next question is whether or not you feel that your religious beliefs should be imposed on others. If the reason is scientific or legal, then a discussion can be had.

If freedom of religion is something we value, then I think we need to throw out any religious argument in a discussion about what should be or should not be legal.

barbacoa taco
AG
Joe Boudain said:

I've met plenty of conservative Christians. I grew up in Texas and went to A&M. While I like many of them and consider some of them friends, and some are family, my interactions with them were probably the tipping point that ultimately led to me renouncing my Christianity and leaving the church for good. You can feel the hatred in Rebel Infantry's post above and the numerous posts in Forum 16 on a daily basis.

If the law doesnt allow suits against the women, thats my mistake. But it absolutely does allow suits against providers and anyone who aids or abets an abortion, which has very broad applicability.

It's a terrible law and is blatantly unconstitutional when it comes to legal standing.

ETA: the text of the law can be construed to allow suits against a woman who self induces an abortion, which would certainly create grounds for a lawsuit if she miscarries
Joe Boudain
Completely disregarding religion for the moment, science is unable to determine when a life has rights, but it can determine when a new entity with unique DNA has been formed, and the first step has occurred in the chain reaction that leads to birth.

Since it's completely arbitrary where you draw the line where a life has rights, it only makes sense to be as conservative as possible. If you say that a life has rights at 6 months, and before that you can abort it, and later the definition is changed to 6 weeks; 4.1/2 months worth of people have been killed.

Given the literal life or death consequences inherent in this decision, it is only reasonable that we err as conservative as possible.
88Warrior
" This is an evil law that will have evil consequences and it's a ****ing travesty the Supreme Court is allowing it."

So a law that is intended to stop the most evil act (murder of an innocent) a person can do is considered evil?? Bizarro world we're living in.
Joe Boudain
larry culpepper said:

Joe Boudain said:

I've met plenty of conservative Christians. I grew up in Texas and went to A&M. While I like many of them and consider some of them friends, and some are family, my interactions with them were probably the tipping point that ultimately led to me renouncing my Christianity and leaving the church for good. You can feel the hatred in Rebel Infantry's post above and the numerous posts in Forum 16 on a daily basis.

If the law doesnt allow suits against the women, thats my mistake. But it absolutely does allow suits against providers and anyone who aids or abets an abortion, which has very broad applicability.

It's a terrible law and is blatantly unconstitutional when it comes to legal standing.
Larry, it's obvious you went into this discussion half-cocked and angry. You've posted numerous times that this law allows some religious nut job vigilante to target a woman whose had a miscarriage in order to make money off of her, when that has been proven false. You can hand wave it away as "oops my bad" but you've really just proven that you haven't really dived into the law itself and are getting your talking points from some left-wing pro-baby murder agenda.
kurt vonnegut
AG
Joe Boudain said:

Completely disregarding religion for the moment, science is unable to determine when a life has rights, but it can determine when a new entity with unique DNA has been formed, and the first step has occurred in the chain reaction that leads to birth.

Since it's completely arbitrary where you draw the line where a life has rights, it only makes sense to be as conservative as possible. If you say that a life has rights at 6 months, and before that you can abort it, and later the definition is changed to 6 weeks; 4.1/2 months worth of people have been killed.

Given the literal life or death consequences inherent in this decision, it is only reasonable that we err as conservative as possible.
While I don't really agree, I do accept that as a valid line of argument toward your position.

Abortion is something that is often argued against from a religious position, which I think we need to disqualify.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.