Unpopular opinion: We (Catholics) need to be more like the taliban

14,034 Views | 314 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Joe Boudain
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Matthew 5:39

But I tell you, do not resist an evil person, if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek.

How does that fit with your "theology"?

Just as I thought. Matthew 5:39 is totally hyperbole, but Jesus really meant we should tie a millstone around people's neck and throw them in the sea.

Yes, sins against children are more serious than sins against others, which is why christ singles out children and not adults. Also why the church allows the death penalty in extreme cases and not abortion.

Can you give me Scriptural references for a Christ led earthly military kingdom?

Thanks.

His kingdom was not of this world as he says explicitly during his Passion. Instead of extremely vague searching questions, cut to the point. What are you trying to prove?

My point is Christ never advocated the things you are advocating in your op.

So you are an antichrist by definition.

Did Christ advocate for throwing abortionists in prison? Am I an antichrist for that as well?

I am pro life. What does that have to do with establishing a Taliban theocracy?

Hold up a second, isn't that what you told me? Christ didn't advocate for what I was advocating for? Am I an antichrist for wanting to criminalize abortion?

All I know is Christ never asked government to do anything.

Yep. I wouldn't be surprised if he's opposed to social welfare programs for, say, the homeless and hungry because "that's not government's job. It's the church's", yet when it gives him a chance to kill or imprison those he deems immoral, then all of a sudden it's "yay government!"

You would be wrong. I support government programs and think they should do more social engineering, again like Hungary

Scriptures about "social engineering"?

You really are an antichrist.

Jews? Soldiers? Are you going to answer any of my questions? Are the Jews antichrists?

You know social engineering like paid maternal leave, down payment assistance for housing, job training, those terrible things

So no Scripture?

This is not how an educated person discusses something. Asking question after question and refusing to answer anything.

What is your claim? That everything not explicitly covered in scripture is antichrist?

No I have given Scripture supporting my view. Where is yours?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Joe Boudain
dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

But I tell you, do not resist an evil person, if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek.

Just as I thought. Matthew 5:39 is totally hyperbole, but Jesus really meant we should tie a millstone around people's neck and throw them in the sea.

Yes, sins against children are more serious than sins against others, which is why christ singles out children and not adults. Also why the church allows the death penalty in extreme cases and not abortion.

Can you give me Scriptural references for a Christ led earthly military kingdom?

Thanks.

His kingdom was not of this world as he says explicitly during his Passion. Instead of extremely vague searching questions, cut to the point. What are you trying to prove?

Did Christ advocate for throwing abortionists in prison? Am I an antichrist for that as well?

Hold up a second, isn't that what you told me? Christ didn't advocate for what I was advocating for? Am I an antichrist for wanting to criminalize abortion?

Yep. I wouldn't be surprised if he's opposed to social welfare programs for, say, the homeless and hungry because "that's not government's job. It's the church's", yet when it gives him a chance to kill or imprison those he deems immoral, then all of a sudden it's "yay government!"

You would be wrong. I support government programs and think they should do more social engineering, again like Hungary

Jews? Soldiers? Are you going to answer any of my questions? Are the Jews antichrists?

You know social engineering like paid maternal leave, down payment assistance for housing, job training, those terrible things

So no Scripture?

This is not how an educated person discusses something. Asking question after question and refusing to answer anything.

What is your claim? That everything not explicitly covered in scripture is antichrist?

My views are based on the teachings of the Holy Catholic Church, the body of Christ charged with shepherding the earthly flock until the 2nd coming.

Plus I even provided you Scripture in my rebuttal to your hyperbolic interpretation of scripture and Pacifist's confirmation bias regarding pacifism.
dermdoc
AG
Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Thanks.

So no Scripture?

My views are based on the teachings of the Holy Catholic Church, the body of Christ charged with shepherding the earthly flock until the 2nd coming.

Plus I even provided you Scripture in my rebuttal to your hyperbolic interpretation of scripture and Pacifist's confirmation bias regarding pacifism.

Okay. Where does the Catholic Church advocate using force, like the Taliban, to enforce their views?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Joe Boudain
dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Thanks.

So no Scripture?

Okay. Where does the Catholic Church advocate using force, like the Taliban, to enforce their views?

Many places, but first and most widely respected by all flavor of Christians is Augustinian Contra Faustum Manicheam, St. Thomas Aquinas goes much further into depth but many Protestants don't honor him.

You should also narrow your query to the New Testament as old Testament law is chock full of violence and death penalties for all number of sins
dermdoc
AG
Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Thanks.

So no Scripture?

Many places, but first and most widely respected by all flavor of Christians is Augustinian Contra Faustum Manicheam, St. Thomas Aquinas goes much further into depth but many Protestants don't honor him.

You should also narrow your query to the New Testament as old Testament law is chock full of violence and death penalties for all number of sins

So Augustine and Aquinas advocated a Catholic theocracy?

How is that Biblical?

And you know we are under a new covenant, correct?
PacifistAg
AG
And of course, he's ignoring the first 250-300 years in church history. All while pointing to two people's interpretations and not actually referencing scripture.
Joe Boudain
dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Thanks.

So no Scripture?

How is that Biblical?

Aquinas literally was born in the Catholic Kingdom of Sicily and died in the Papal State, the precursor to the Vatican. St.Augustine's most famous literary work City of God, is a treatise on combining the Kingdom of God and the Kingdom of Man into one cohesive holistic society.
Joe Boudain
PacifistAg said:

And of course, he's ignoring the first 250-300 years in church history.

And you're ignoring the next 1800?

There's evidence of Christians fighting and be buried as soldiers, with their profession listed on their Graves, as early as 150 AD
dermdoc
AG
Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Thanks.

So no Scripture?

How is that Biblical?

Aquinas literally was born in the Catholic Kingdom of Sicily and died in the Papal State, the precursor to the Vatican. St.Augustine's most famous literary work City of God, is a treatise on combining the Kingdom of God and the Kingdom of Man into one cohesive holistic society.

Cool.
So either one of those guys suggest military takeover with killing, etc.
Joe Boudain
dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Thanks.

So no Scripture?

How is that Biblical?

Cool.

You're not interested in having a serious conversation.
dermdoc
AG
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/15027570.2010.510866
PacifistAg
AG
Yeah, I'm pretty sure neither of them would praise the Taliban. Doubt they'd be cool with his antisemitism either.
dermdoc
AG
Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Thanks.

So no Scripture?

How is that Biblical?

Cool.

Sure I am. Where is your Scripture?
Joe Boudain
dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Thanks.

So no Scripture?

How is that Biblical?

Cool.

I'll let you have the last word doc. You keep changing what you're asking for and not answering my questions other than posting links, which any child can do.

I want you to explain to me why I'm an antichrist, and soldiers and jews aren't.
dermdoc
AG
Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

dermdoc said:

Joe Boudain said:

PacifistAg said:

dermdoc said:

Thanks.

So no Scripture?

How is that Biblical?

Cool.

I'll let you have the last word doc. You keep changing what you're asking for and not answering my questions other than posting links, which any child can do.

I want you to explain to me why I'm an antichrist, and soldiers and jews aren't.

I am not changing anything. Give me Scriptures that support what your op said.
jrico2727
AG
I thought taking a day of Texags, I wouldn't miss much, lol.

Do Catholics support a theocracy?

If Christ is your king, then by definition you live in a theocracy. For he sits on his throne at the right hand of the Father. Without glorifying any group of terrorists, how are we called to live? Are we not to bring the light of Christ to the world. Do we do that by tolerance of sin, especially the sins that cry to heaven? No, neither does intolerance of sin advocate violence. Despite the incredibly poor choice for comparison in the OP, I don't believe any here have advocated for violence. However it is troubling to see how poorly this thread went, and how personal it became.

For all the professed Christians on this thread. When you pray thy Kingdom come, are you praying for the rule of Christ in your heart, in your home and your country? What does that mean to you? What standard does that mean we all must live under? When Our Lord proclaimed that the gates of hell will not prevail, was this not a call for a offensive campaign against the sin of the world? For the gates are a defensive measure against the Kingdom of Christ that has come to reclaim the world.

We have been taught that separation of church and state is a virtue. How has that worked out? Our government sanctions infanticide, Sodomy, divorce on demand and countless other demonic practices that attack the bedrock if society which is the family.

One thing I do agree with the OP on is patience. Why because we know how this ends. Our Lord will come in glory, he will bring the sword of judgement. He will judge all according to their deeds and create a new heaven and earth.
May by God's grace we all will dwell there with our King.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Scanning Texags... drop by r&p

This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
Spyderman
AG
Looneyville I tells ya...
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
craigernaught
AG
Why does bustup keep pretending he's someone else?
dermdoc
AG
Woke up this morning and during my prayer time, the Lord put on my heart a song.

"They will know we are Christians by our love".

Seemed appropriate and if you have the time you might want to listen to it.

Duncan Idaho
Spyderman said:

when you lose spyderman....
one MEEN Ag
AG
Joe Bourdain: Parts Unknown - The New Testament
one MEEN Ag
AG
Joe,

I think over the past 5 pages you've revealed that you believe 'good' comes from a top down government approach. This is in direct conflict with what Jesus teaches. Where its about love and forgiveness at an individual level that gains societal momentum from the ground up.
schmendeler
AG

Beer Baron
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Spyderman said:

when you lose spyderman....
BUT THERE ARE DOZENS OF THEM! DOZENS!
chimpanzee
Joe Boudain
one MEEN Ag said:

Joe,

I think over the past 5 pages you've revealed that you believe 'good' comes from a top down government approach. This is in direct conflict with what Jesus teaches. Where its about love and forgiveness at an individual level that gains societal momentum from the ground up.

If that's your understanding, you've misunderstood me. Good exists outside of governmental fiat, government has an obligation to maximize the good and craft laws that promote the good, and society has an obligation to obey. This is likely best espoused by Pope Pius X's encyclical Vehementer Nos

That the State must be separated from the Church is a thesis absolutely false, a most pernicious error. Based, as it is, on the principle that the State must not recognize any religious cult, it is in the first place guilty of a great injustice to God; for the Creator of man is also the Founder of human societies, and preserves their existence as He preserves our own. We owe Him, therefore, not only a private cult, but a public and social worship to honor Him. Besides, this thesis is an obvious negation of the supernatural order. It limits the action of the State to the pursuit of public prosperity during this life only, which is but the proximate object of political societies; and it occupies itself in no fashion (on the plea that this is foreign to it) with their ultimate object which is man's eternal happiness after this short life shall have run its course. But as the present order of things is temporary and subordinated to the conquest of man's supreme and absolute welfare, it follows that the civil power must not only place no obstacle in the way of this conquest, but must aid us in effecting it.

Dilettante
craigernaught said:

Why does bustup keep pretending he's someone else?
PacifistAg
AG
Dismisses early church fathers. Here, look at this quote from someone 1900 years later.
Dilettante
Can it really be bustup if he hasn't mentioned George Lemaitre?
Joe Boudain
PacifistAg said:

Dismisses early church fathers. Here, look at this quote from someone 1900 years later.
Hey look here's a quote from Paul in Romans:

Quote:

Let every soul be subject to higher powers: for there is no power but from God: and those that are, are ordained of God. Therefore he that resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God. And they that resist, purchase to themselves damnation. For princes are not a terror to the good work, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power. Do that which is good: and thou shalt have praise from the same. For he is God's minister to thee, for good. But if thou do that which is evil, fear: for he beareth not the sword in vain. For he is God's minister: an avenger to execute wrath upon him that doth evil. Wherefore be subject of necessity, not only for wrath, but also for conscience' sake.

For therefore also you pay tribute. For they are the ministers of God, serving unto this purpose. Render therefore to all men their dues. Tribute, to whom tribute is due: custom, to whom custom: fear, to whom fear: honour, to whom honour.

and some commentary:

The Apostle passes on to summarize the Christian's duties towards the State. He first insists on the duty of submission and obedience to the ruling government as a divine law. Leaving all questions of the natural law aside, he proves this divine law from the fact that no government could obtain or retain power without God's will. Every citizen therefore is bound to render submission and obedience to the de facto government because disobeying would be disobeying a divinely appointed authority, a sin which would not be left unpunished, verses 1-2.

In verses 3-4 the Apostle gives a brief description of the government as it should be, its main function being to support all good and suppress all evil. After this, the way is clear for the conclusion which follows in verse 5. The submission and obedience due to such a government is a matter of conscience, I.e. the Christian is to obey for God's sake, and not for fear of being found out and punished. The laws of such a government are not merely penal laws but moral laws. The law of taxation, verse 6, serves as an example.

PacifistAg
AG
And a misunderstanding of Romans 13! With yesterday's hilarious Luke 22:36 and millstone references, this is such a wonderful trifecta!
PacifistAg
AG
Dilettante said:

My guess is that it's bustup because he got really touchy about mentioning the prostitute and lying to his wife.
Joe Boudain
PacifistAg said:

And a misunderstanding of Romans 13! With yesterday's hilarious Luke 22:36 and millstone references, this is such a wonderful trifecta!
That commentary is from the work of a bunch of Benedictine monks with degrees from Oxford, Cambridge, Malta, etc etc; but I'm sure they were mistaken.
Joe Boudain
PacifistAg said:

Dilettante said:

My guess is that it's bustup because he got really touchy about mentioning the prostitute and lying to his wife.
Yes, you went down some weird rabbit holes yesterday, cursing, throwing ad hominem attacks, delighting in me being uncomfortable that my wife would be in the bathroom with a man. Very little substance, lots of personal attacks, and curse words.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.