Flat earth

34,905 Views | 345 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by third coast..
Zobel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mhm. These tests you describe aren't judging our assumptions per se but the utility of the models that our assumptions make up or contribute to. Every experience using these models is either a reaffirming or recalcitrant experience for the model. When something has a lot of reaffirming experience, we eventually stop intentionally subjecting it to adverse tests and start using it as a solid basis for a new model.

Don't let him make you answer questions about all of ontology to justify your scientific models as "true". Cuz they're not - you'll just lose. Haha.
Aggrad08
AG
To call incredibly well verified models in years outside of direct observation pure faith is in a *******ized characterization. Using "faith" for evidence based belief is just flat dishonest.

You've got a model demonstrated as accurate by many other models and methods countless times and you consider relying on that method "pure faith"

If I create a steel beam shape somewhat different than any previously used or tested and analyze it based on beam theory am I relying on pure faith?
Martin Q. Blank
No, are you saying designing a new beam that we can see and touch is the same as "this sediment later is 50 million years old and anyone who questions my models is a flat earther"?
Zobel
AG
How were the other models validated?
Aggrad08
AG
Why does the age matter? Why does touching matter (you can touch the sediment if you like I'm not sure how you feel it's only 6k years old)? And questioning is fine, it's just you ask stupid questions or ones that have been addressed ages ago. Do the laws of physics depend on people seeing and touching.
Aggrad08
AG
Some, like dendrochronology, varve chronology and rapidly decaying isotopes can be tested in short time periods that can be measured through direct observation.

At a certain point you are left accepting the accuracy or denying stopwatches capable of accurately measuring time are possible
amercer
AG
k2aggie07 said:

How were the other models validated?

Observe
Form hypothesis
Test hypothesis

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

I can't prove that science works, but pretty much the whole modern world stands as evidence that it probably does
Zobel
AG
I was being facetious.
Duncan Idaho
I was confused by what bouncing balls on hammers was supposed to do for you.
Post removed:
by user
PacifistAg
AG
Part of me was laughing through the entire thing.

"Here, let's run this experiment with a gyroscope to prove the earth isn't going to rotate 15 degrees every hour....Dangit! Okay, let's encase the gyroscope in various materials until we get the results we want....Uh, let's just not tell anyone about this." Then, "hey, we can prove the earth isn't curved by shooting a laser down this waterway a few miles. Since it's not curved, we'll see the light appear at the same level as at the source....Dangit! It's not working right!...Weeds, it's the weeds getting in the way!"

But then part of me was just sad for them. They are clearly people who are looking for a sense of belonging. But at that scientist happy hour near the end of the film, I agree with what the one physicist said about how mocking them isn't the right approach, which admittedly is very hard to refrain from. He applauded their inquisitive minds, but they were clearly led down horribly ignorant paths. It's just sad to witness, especially when it results in broken relationships.
Texaggie7nine
Many of the followers of conspiracies like this aren't really in it for social relationships. It's more about feeling superior and thinking they know something big that others don't.

Your job sucks, your life sucks, you have no real meaning, but this enticing idea, if true would mean that you were in on something big that all those around you that are enjoying life have no clue about.

Or you are an NBA player that smokes too much weed.
7nine
PacifistAg
AG
It's weird reading this thread on the politics board, because the 9/11 truthers sound very similar to the flat-earthers. A bunch of youtube links, calling reputable scientific sources "jokes", and claims that "I once believed like you, but I did some research and my eyes were opened".
Duncan Idaho
There was a thread about a month ago were someone was seriously saying that there was no proof of the Holocaust. The good news is that he was alone on that hill.
PacifistAg
AG
Oh, I think I saw that. Disturbing, to say the least.
West Point Aggie
AG
PacifistAg said:

Part of me was laughing through the entire thing.

But then part of me was just sad for them. They are clearly people who are looking for a sense of belonging. But at that scientist happy hour near the end of the film, I agree with what the one physicist said about how mocking them isn't the right approach, which admittedly is very hard to refrain from. He applauded their inquisitive minds, but they were clearly led down horribly ignorant paths. It's just sad to witness, especially when it results in broken relationships.

They should be mocked...incessantly
Let’s Go Brandon!
Ag_of_08
AG
If they didn't insist on obnoxiously spamming everything space flight related, and constantly being obnoxious ****s about it, I would say domt shame them....

But, they don't. It's a new fad, of the late 30s-40s male internet nerd population ESPECIALLY, to be a flat earther, and constantly blather about it on every social platform there is. They're worse than vegans and anti-vaccers, while being more aggressive than Westboro Baptist.
Post removed:
by user
Aggrad08
AG
I see the flat Earth folks as just louder YECs who like to troll. They are annoying, unlearned, and often dumb, worst they will repeat the same nonsense that be you already discredited-and are immune to evidence. But that's it, that's all that happens a dumb belief continues.

Antivaxers hurt people. They hurt children. They hurt their own damn children. It's sick and sad and has a mortality rate associated with it. It's far worse.
1876er
AG
schmendeler said:

The people in this movie are prisoners of their own ideology. They were all outcasts before this. Now they have a group they are part of and can feel superior about. Even when faced with conclusive evidence they can't accept it because it would mean throwing away their entire network of friends and view of self.

Sounds like Q believers
94chem
OP, I'd never even heard of Texas Independence Day, and I've lived here all my life. Maybe it's because I'm used to Texans celebrating doing something, and not writing documents.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
v
swimmerbabe11
94chem said:

OP, I'd never even heard of Texas Independence Day, and I've lived here all my life. Maybe it's because I'm used to Texans celebrating doing something, and not writing documents.

But you've heard of San Jacinto Day...right?

Did you not take Texas History in Junior high?
94chem
Yes, as my post implies, April 21st is Texas Independence Day. And 1836 is the real year of statehood. Not our problem if the US was too afraid to add another state...because of a war with Mexico...? War with Mexico is an opportunity, not an obstacle.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Hmm. Okay.

Spreadsheet updated to not invite you to the 4th of July BBQ.
94chem
Sorry, man. Just a lifelong Texan... Don't need boots, or rodeos, or post-1985 country music. Maybe I'll have a beer on March 2nd, but it won't be a Lone Star.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
94chem said:

Sorry, man. Just a lifelong Texan... Don't need boots, or rodeos, or post-1985 country music. Maybe I'll have a beer on March 2nd, but it won't be a Lone Star.

Just curious... where I would rank on your scale of "Texanness"?

where does a life long, At least 5th generation Texan ( not sure how far back we go but it's a ways back) boot wearing, metal head who doesn't do rodeos or hardly any country music, likes Lone star and celebrates not only San jacinto day (4/21) but also Texas Independence Day (3/2). I was taught the distinction in middle school and always considered the date of declaration our Independence Day and San Jacinto day a the finality of the declaration.

Do you consider american independence to start on the date of the declaration (7/4) or after battle of Yorktown (9/28) or when treaty of paris was signed (9/3)?

BusterAg
AG
Cynic said:

This thread sure was predictable.

Username checks out.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms … disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

--Thomas Jefferson
94chem
SoulSlaveAG2005 said:

94chem said:

Just curious... where I would rank on your scale of "Texanness"?

where does a life long, At least 5th generation Texan ( not sure how far back we go but it's a ways back) boot wearing, metal head who doesn't do rodeos or hardly any country music, likes Lone star and celebrates not only San jacinto day (4/21) but also Texas Independence Day (3/2). I was taught the distinction in middle school and always considered the date of declaration our Independence Day and San Jacinto day a the finality of the declaration.

Do you consider american independence to start on the date of the declaration (7/4) or after battle of Yorktown (9/28) or when treaty of paris was signed (9/3)?

You're a great Texan. Congrats on going to middle school 10 years after me.
Ag_of_08
AG
I wasn't talking from a moral standpoint, just from how obnoxiously vocal and aggressive they are. Agree whole heartedly they're not as damaging or dangerous, but the flat earther/moon hoaxer/space hoaxer crowd is insanely vocal lately.
tehmackdaddy
AG
The producers of this documentary on Netflix really did a good job of subtly pointing out Flat-Earther's mistakes (cognitive bias, confirmation bias, & failed experiments). Overall I enjoyed the show and learning a little bit more about those people.
Zobel
AG
Awww a huge post got disappeared.
PacifistAg
AG
That's surprising, because the poster was clearly someone who believes in flat earth. Given that this is a flat earth thread, it would be nice to be able to discuss it with the person. Granted, the long post sounded more like what you'd see on the Q Anon thread on Forum 16, but I'm sure some enjoyable and respectful back and forth could have taken place. Specifically with our more scientific posters.

But, it also appears that mods are cleaning things up around here, and that post may have been caught in the crossfire as it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that it could quickly devolve.
Furlock Bones
AG
PacifistAg said:

That's surprising, because the poster was clearly someone who believes in flat earth. Given that this is a flat earth thread, it would be nice to be able to discuss it with the person. Granted, the long post sounded more like what you'd see on the Q Anon thread on Forum 16, but I'm sure some enjoyable and respectful back and forth could have taken place. Specifically with our more scientific posters.

But, it also appears that mods are cleaning things up around here, and that post may have been caught in the crossfire as it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that it could quickly devolve.
that poster went around a permaban.
PacifistAg
AG
Ah okay. Thanks for clarifying.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.