Orthodox (k2aggie)

14,931 Views | 166 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PacifistAg
PacifistAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
k2 & other Orthodox, I have been reading The Orthodox Church: An Introduction to Eastern Christianity, and have some questions. I had put the book down for a while, but picked it back up this week, and as usual, was fascinated by what I read.

1) Can you further delve into the "energies vs essence of God", especially as it relates to the Hesychasts? When they talk of prayer being something that involves the entire body, is this similar to getting into a meditative state? I did love this quote (especially the part of the burning bush), but want to have a better understanding of this from a lay perspective:

Quote:

' God is not a nature , ' he wrote , ' for He is above all nature ; He is not a being , for He is above all beings No single thing of all that is created has or ever will have even the slightest communion with the supreme nature or nearness to it . ' But however remote from us in His essence , yet in His energies God has revealed Himself to us . These energies are not something that exists apart from God , not a gift which God confers upon humans ; they are God Himself in His action and revelation to the world . God exists complete and entire in each of His divine energies . The world , as Gerard Manley Hopkins said , is charged with the grandeur of God ; all creation is a gigantic Burning Bush , permeated but not consumed by the ineffable and wondrous fire of God's energies."

I am really intrigued by the Hesychast approach to prayer.

2) If I understand correctly, the two primary sources of conflict between Rome and the East were the Filioque and Papal claim to primacy. I finally have a better grasp on the conflict over the Filioque, and completely agree with the Orthodox position, especially in regards to the view that the Nicene Creed is the common possession of the entire church and can only be changed with an Ecumenical Council. I also agree theologically for why the East is opposed to the Filioque, but it seems the West didn't officially adopt it for hundreds of years after it was first added by the Franks. It just seems odd that the West would cling to this position given that they didn't officially embrace it themselves for hundreds of years. That said, I've also read about a dispute re: the bread used for communion...leavened (East) vs unleavened (West). Is this a major dispute? Is there a reason for the disagreement on this? Does it matter, or does it fall into the category of "non-essentials"?

3) Final question, for now: can you explain, in lay terms, exactly what the apophatic approach looks like. Here's a quote from the book:

Quote:

This mystical tradition is marked, particularly in the case of Clement and Gregory, by a strong use of the apophatic approach, whereby God is described in negative rather than positive terms. Since God cannot be properly comprehended by the human mind, all language that is applied to Him is inevitably inexact. It is therefore less misleading to use negative language about God rather than positive to refuse to say what God is, and to state simply what He is not...

The apophatic language of Dionysius was repeated by many others. 'God is infinite and incomprehensible,' wrote John of Damascus, 'and all that is comprehensible about Him is His infinity and incomprehensibility God does not belong to the class of existing things: not that He has no existence, but that He is above all existing things, nay even above existence itself.'*
How would the statement "God is love" fit into that? Is that not a positive statement? Isn't "God is infinite and incomprehensible" a positive statement of who God is, not what He is not?

Again, thank you for all your help in understanding this. I love this emphasis on mysticism and certainly want to know more about that.

“Conquer men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of justice to shame by your compassion."
--St Isaac the Syrian
Doc Daneeka
- Beliefs Eastern Orthodox Christians (EOC) Hold in Contrast to the Augustinian/Reformed Tradition

- EOC reject the Biblical teaching of the natural man's bondage to a corruption of nature, embrace free will and reject the Doctrines of Grace.

- EOC reject the Biblical doctrine of predestination. But like Arminians believe that when the Bible speaks of Predestination, it speaks of divine foreknowledge of the sinner's choice.

- With regard to their soteriology, EOC, like Arminians, are synergistic in their view of regeneration. In other words, they embrace the teaching that man and God cooperate to bring about the new birth.

- EOC reject the doctrine of justification by grace alone through faith alone. Rather, "theosis" (becoming God) or the progressive transformation of people into full likeness to God, in soul and body, takes prominence. Regeneration & sanctification is viewed as a part of justification.

- EOC reject the biblical idea (Romans 5) of inherited (imputed) guilt; They believe, rather, that we are guilty only for our own sins rather as a result of the consequences of Adam's fall.

- EOC unapologeticly hold that they are the one true church of Christ on earth, which alone has guarded right belief and true worship in absolute identity and unbroken succession with the apostolic church. In other words, Evangelicals have lapsed from the true faith into error, if not outright heresy, according to
Orthodox believers. The salvation of non-Orthodox is, therefore, in question.

- EOC hold to baptismal regeneration - no one can be saved unless he is baptized with water.

- EOC reject Sola Scriptura. Orthodoxy affirms a single source of revelation, holy tradition, of which Scripture is the preeminent among several forms. The other forms of tradition include the first seven
ecumenical councils, patristic writings, especially those of the first four centuries; later councils; icons; the Liturgy; and canon law. The Protestant view which raises Scripture above tradition as final authority in
matters of doctrine is considered by Orthodox as the sin of the Reformation.

- EOC teach that there are seven sacraments: Baptism, Confirmation, Holy Eucharist, Confession, Ordination, Marriage, and Holy Unction

- Like Romans Catholics, EOC believe the Eucharist is a true, propitiatory sacrifice.

- Veneration given to icons. For EOC, icons have always been a part of church tradition so this tradition is considered on par with Scripture. In other words, we can only conclude that Eastern Orthodoxy is an inconsistent, unbiblical substitute for a Christ-centered Biblical Christianity.

PacifistAg
AG
I'm going to go out on a limb and say your understanding of the Orthodox Church is faulty, at best...or whoever wrote what you cut/pasted. This is a thread to learn about Orthodoxy from the Orthodox. If you wish to present a flawed view of Orthodoxy based on your hyper-Calvinist, and IMO flawed, understanding of Scripture, then please start a new thread.
“Conquer men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of justice to shame by your compassion."
--St Isaac the Syrian
PacifistAg
AG
BTW, if you're going to cut/paste, at least cite your sources. Otherwise, you're simply plagiarizing.
--St Isaac the Syrian
Doc Daneeka
Why is everyone upset about cut paste? That is all k2 does..?
PacifistAg
AG
His sources are cited, whether in the cut/paste or elsewhere. In my experience, he will cut/paste a quote from a Church father, but the person's name is included as the source of the quote. You simply ripped off a page and gave no citation, presenting it as if you gave your own original thoughts.
--St Isaac the Syrian
Zobel
AG
I'm speaking of this intellectually, so don't take this as any sort of authoritative statement. I'm just a layman repeating what I've read.

The energies vs essence distinction is theology that helps or attempts to explain how we can truly experience God while affirming that He is completely unknowable. It's not strictly about the hesychasts, because the distinction between His energies and essence goes way back (St Paul speaks of God's energeia nearly interchangeability with God).

An example...a circle is by constructed by a single center with a circumference generated by an infinite multiplicity of radii. These radii are the means by which the circle is expressed, and would in this analogy be the energies. The center itself is God's essence, which we cannot approach even in the next life, it will always be beyond us as created beings. And perhaps I can take this further and say the circle itself, the thing we see, is creation, which is an expression from the circle, manifested by the radii, which remain unseen along with the center.

The argument between Barlaam and St Gregory Palamas was whether the eyes physically see the uncreated light. The Church agreed with St Greogry - yes - and said that this was the same light as the Apostles saw on Mt Tabor, and the uncreated light is God's Energy, which we can participate in even physically.

This concept of energeia is absolutely key to theosis. Lots of words from St Maximos about this here.

As for hesychast prayer.. The point that the fathers make about the uncreated light is that what prevents us from seeing it is our nous, the eye of the soul. Our personhood is tarnished by our passions / sins. By theosis, through grace, and through our synergistic cooperation with God our nous can be healed / cleansed. Hesychasm is an expression of that, and they pray the Jesus Prayer repeatedly. The idea is that by distancing oneself from physical distraction we can more easily pray noetically, the prayer of the heart, directly from our nous, continuously (not from our brain or lips). But this isn't like a thing you can just do.

That being said, praying the Jesus Prayer is a good thing for all Christians. And we pray physically, typically standing, and make prostrations and bows. The Heyschast approach to prayer is just a focused expression of the Orthodox approach to prayer. For example, in the liturgy we hymn "Let us who mystically represent the Cherubim and sing the thrice holy hymn to life-creating Trinity, now lay aside all earthly cares that we may receive the King of All who comes mystically upborne by the angelic hosts. Alleluia. Alleluia. Alleluia."

2. The energies essence distinction points back to the filioque. The "issue" with the filioque is found in the former. There is a difference in how we understand God and His essence and His persons, and how they relate to each other. Whether this is a real difference or only a distinction in expression (2+2 = 4 or 2*2=4) is debatable.

I posted about it here. https://texags.com/forums/15/topics/2744254/replies/46254806

The bread is not a major dispute (any more). In the past, it was huge. It's something we don't agree with, and the Roman church has not practiced it since forever. In the 1000s ish they said it is a dogmatic thing to use unleavened bread, but there was a lot of politics involved.

3. Apophatic approach is merely understanding that no matter what we affirm about God, we speak in error when speaking about His Essence. We can affirm with truth many things about Jesus Christ, because He came to us (compare, for example, how much time we spend on Jesus vs the Father in the Symbol of Faith...).

And even when we speak about His Energies, we are speaking in a limited sense. Our understanding of the word "true" is only correct as far as it participates in Him because He is the criterion of Truth. Likewise for righteousness, love, etc.

Apophatic theology doesn't preclude cataphatic (positive) statements. It helps contextualize them.

For example, God is Love. But He is beyond love, because I can comprehend love. Love as a concept that exists in the human mind is not God. Grammatically and logically "God is Love" and "Love is God" are equivalent but one is truer than the other.

If you negated everything, you would approach God. But that means everything. Because He is not anything that is here in our created order.

Hope that helps?

Doc Daneeka
Little different when stuff is common knowledge. You can google. If I quote someone, I'll cite them. I'm quoting stuff that's not from one person but common knowledge.

Plus I'm not sure who made you the religion board rule maker lol
PacifistAg
AG
Thank you for that. It does help.
--St Isaac the Syrian
PacifistAg
AG
Doc Daneeka said:

Little different when stuff is common knowledge. You can google. If I quote someone, I'll cite them. I'm quoting stuff that's not from one person but common knowledge.

Plus I'm not sure who made you the religion board rule maker lol
No, you should still cite your sources. Post a link. Do something, other than try to pass it off as your own. And expecting you to stop plagiarizing doesn't make me the "religion board rule maker". It's an integrity issue. Don't steal other people's words and pass off as your own. That applies to any board.
--St Isaac the Syrian
Zobel
AG
Doc Daneeka said:

- Beliefs Eastern Orthodox Christians (EOC) Hold in Contrast to the Augustinian/Reformed Tradition
St Augustine was an Orthodox Christian and a Latin Father.

- EOC reject the Biblical teaching of the natural man's bondage to a corruption of nature, embrace free will and reject the Doctrines of Grace.
We affirm the grievous effects of the Fall and confess that salvation only comes due to God's Grace. This does not preclude free will in any way.

- EOC reject the Biblical doctrine of predestination. But like Arminians believe that when the Bible speaks of Predestination, it speaks of divine foreknowledge of the sinner's choice.
It is more complicated than that. God foreknows all things, including our choices and the consequences of our choices. But this does not preclude our choice from being real and consequential.

- With regard to their soteriology, EOC, like Arminians, are synergistic in their view of regeneration. In other words, they embrace the teaching that man and God cooperate to bring about the new birth.
No. Man does not cooperate to bring about rebirth, as sanctification and illumination are solely gifts of faith in God. However, salvation does not end with new birth in baptism.

- EOC reject the doctrine of justification by grace alone through faith alone. Rather, "theosis" (becoming God) or the progressive transformation of people into full likeness to God, in soul and body, takes prominence. Regeneration & sanctification is viewed as a part of justification.
Justification by grace alone through faith alone is not scriptural. We don't view regeneration, sanctification as part of justification. This is just factually incorrect.

- EOC reject the biblical idea (Romans 5) of inherited (imputed) guilt; They believe, rather, that we are guilty only for our own sins rather as a result of the consequences of Adam's fall.
Yep. But all man inherit the consequences of sin, i.e., death. This is perfectly scriptural. Romans 5:12 says sin and death entered through one man, but it says nothing about guilt.

- EOC unapologeticly hold that they are the one true church of Christ on earth, which alone has guarded right belief and true worship in absolute identity and unbroken succession with the apostolic church. In other words, Evangelicals have lapsed from the true faith into error, if not outright heresy, according to Orthodox believers. The salvation of non-Orthodox is, therefore, in question.
Yep. The last sentence is on shaky ground, meaning, God is merciful and sovereign, so there is no benefit in questioning others salvation. But yes, we actually believe in one holy catholic and apostolic church.

- EOC hold to baptismal regeneration - no one can be saved unless he is baptized with water.
We hold to baptismal regeneration because it is scriptural. The latter part is not correct, as we, for example, commemorate St Dismas (the penitent thief) and affirm that those who die as catechumen or martyrs are saved. God is merciful and judges the heart, including intent.

- EOC reject Sola Scriptura. Orthodoxy affirms a single source of revelation, holy tradition, of which Scripture is the preeminent among several forms. The other forms of tradition include the first seven
ecumenical councils, patristic writings, especially those of the first four centuries; later councils; icons; the Liturgy; and canon law. The Protestant view which raises Scripture above tradition as final authority in matters of doctrine is considered by Orthodox as the sin of the Reformation.
Yes, as sola scriptura is not in any way scriptural. The single source of revelation is God, through the Holy Spirit, who leads the church through this day. There is no conflict between scripture and tradition; they are one and the same.

- EOC teach that there are seven sacraments: Baptism, Confirmation, Holy Eucharist, Confession, Ordination, Marriage, and Holy Unction
No. We affirm that these are Holy Mysteries (sacraments is the latin term, properly) but do not place a limit on the number of Holy Mysteries. Any way that grace is participated in is a Mystery.

- Like Romans Catholics, EOC believe the Eucharist is a true, propitiatory sacrifice.
What? No. Christ's sacrifice on the cross was the propitiatory sacrifice. The Eucharist is a mercy of peace and a sacrifice of praise, and mystically participates in the body of Christ which is the true lamb. The sacrifice itself has nothing to do with propitiation of sins. Consumption of the Eucharist is salvific and for the remission of sins.

- Veneration given to icons. For EOC, icons have always been a part of church tradition so this tradition is considered on par with Scripture. In other words, we can only conclude that Eastern Orthodoxy is an inconsistent, unbiblical substitute for a Christ-centered Biblical Christianity.
What? No. Tradition is not "on par" with scripture, whatever that means. Icons are as old and older than the Church. The Jewish temple had iconography, ancient synagogues had icons, ancient churches have icons. Any veneration given to an icon is given to the prototype.

Doc Daneeka
I didn't pass it off as my own lol
Doc Daneeka
So the Bible is really all not that important for orthodox?
PacifistAg
AG
When you don't cite something, or even make any reference to it coming from some other source, then yes, you are passing it off as your own. Just giving advice for future instances. I plan on getting back to the actual subject of the thread, though, which is to learn more about Orthodoxy from our Orthodox posters.
--St Isaac the Syrian
Doc Daneeka
Common knowledge does not need to be cited.

I was speaking of differences between denominations...

No cite required.

If I say trump is president no cite is required. If I say baptists believe in full submersion baptism, no cite is required. I'm not sure you know what cites are...?
Zobel
AG
It is so important that we compiled it, preserved it for millennia, read and quote from it ceaselessly.

I have wanted for a while to go through the Divine Liturgy of St John and annotate every scriptural quotation or reference in it, but it would literally be a book by the end. But more or less the entire Liturgy is one long scriptural quote.

We do nothing apart from scripture, and every aspect of our faith is scriptural. Why? Because the scriptures were preserved, and selected for and in light of the mystical and liturgical life of the Church.
Doc Daneeka
Well it seems to me the Bible should be held higher than all tradition.

But it seems to me, I could be wrong, that Orthodoxy holds tradition equal with the text.
Zobel
AG
Scripture is part of tradition, and tradition reflects all that scripture is.

You can't separate them, each of them apart from the other are meaningless.

Without tradition scripture becomes a fallible collection of allegedly infallible books.

It is a fact that no church Father or early church canon list matched the modern day Protestant canon exactly. But please, don't derail this thread. If you want to talk about the canon start a new OP and we can.
Doc Daneeka
k2aggie07 said:

Without tradition scripture becomes a fallible collection of allegedly infallible books.

It is a fact that no church Father or early church canon list matched the modern day Protestant canon exactly. But please, don't derail this thread. If you want to talk about the canon start a new OP and we can.

Tradition grew out of the text right? So it would precede tradition right?

Is there a record that what Paul and the early Christians did, reflects what the orthodoxy does now in their sermons and practices?
Zobel
AG
Doc Daneeka said:

k2aggie07 said:

Tradition grew out of the text right? So it would precede tradition right?

Is there a record that what Paul and the early Christians did, reflects what the orthodoxy does now in their sermons and practices?
No, the text didn't precede the tradition. This is not historically possible. The text grew out of tradition. The Church existed before any of the NT was written and much of the early church did not possess the full NT, perhaps for centuries. Yet they were still Christians.

Yes, there is a record. Tradition is that record. The writings of the fathers as a part of tradition and are part of the record.
Doc Daneeka
Gods revelation is tradition then also?
Zobel
AG
There is no continuing revelation. The truth has been revealed and the Holy Spirit led the Apostles into all the truth (cf John 16:13). The faith was passed down once for all to the saints. (Jude 1:3).

The Church inherited the fullness of the faith from the spirit.
Zobel
AG
I found this - for those interested, here's a cross reference between the Divine Liturgy and scripture.

https://almoutran.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/The-Bible-In-The-Liturgy.pdf
dermdoc
AG
Reading an Orthodox book called "The forgotten Faith" by Philip LeMasters who is from my hometown.

And I did not realize Orthodox Christians fast from meat, dairy, eggs, wine, and olive oil every Wednesday and Friday,
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
dermdoc said:

And I did not realize Orthodox Christians fast from meat, dairy, eggs, wine, and olive oil every Wednesday and Friday,

--St Isaac the Syrian
dermdoc
AG
Everything on that list is okay. Except wine.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PacifistAg
AG
dermdoc said:

Everything on that list is okay. Except wine.

True. Same here. I guess it's only 2 days a week.
--St Isaac the Syrian
AgLiving06
Go with the Greek version. They have wine allowed a lot of days.

There's a free (and paid app) called DailyReadings that has the fasting rules by day along with other information.
Zobel
AG
Beer is always allowed.
swimmerbabe11
The biggest problem with it is that it's Friday night. So on main going out night, you can't go to fancy dinner.
Then so you go Saturday, but you can't consume after midnight so that you can take communion the next morning.

I started trying to follow a fasting calendar that a Lutheran church in Detroit put out.. beautiful church that almost makes me want to visit Detroit
http://s3.amazonaws.com/churchplantmedia-cms/zion_evangelical_lutheran_church/zts-fasting.pdf

For me, the most difficult part is really just keeping the schedule straight. I have some vegan restaurants near me that I really like though.

Lots of interesting articles and essays from the pastor:
http://www.ziondetroit.org/theological-papers-and-studies

I especially found the ones on covering heads, being called father, and the altar guild dictionary interesting.

AgLiving06
Hey K2.

Have a random question.

I see with some frequency that St. George is doing Midday services (there is one showing on Facebook now).

How frequent do they actually occur and is it expected/realistic that those who work will attend?
Zobel
AG
You can have a liturgy every day of the week if you want. Churches do them based on the needs of the laity and the ability of the clergy and servers. I don't know about expectations - that seems like a pastoral issue between you and your spiritual father. Otherwise, go as often as you are able.

I really enjoy weekday services. They're a little different than Sunday services, and they really give a different perspective on the liturgy and readings. I don't get to go very often myself.
PacifistAg
AG
k2,
Jumping back into the introduction to Orthodox book, and just finished the chapter on the Orthodox Church under Islam. One thing I read that greatly intrigued me was a mention of the Kollyvades and the Philokalia. They'd only touched on this for a couple paragraphs. Can you expand on this movement and that work? Is it something most Orthodox believers have read, or at the very least have knowledge of?

Again, thanks for this book recommendation. I'm taking my time on it so I can digest it easier, as it really challenges my Protestant upbringing.
Zobel
AG
Not sure so much on the Kollyvades other than that they were monks who advocated strict adherence to Tradition, and frequent communion.

The Philokalia is a collection of books, and you've read parts of it. I've quoted pieces here - St John Cassian's work on the eight vices, for example, or St Maximos' Four Centuries on Love, his texts on the Divine Economy, Virtue and Vice. It has works by St John of Damascus, St Symeon the New Theologian, and St Gregory Palamas among others.

I don't think "most" folks sit down and read it - I have not, I don't own a copy - but it is still extremely influential.
Jaydoug
AG

Small book of only 147 pages. Some chapters are only a page or two long. But this is a tough read. Here's a summary of this small book:

Quote:

An extremely concise entry-level introduction to the ancient mystical spirituality of Eastern Orthodox Christianity, rooted in the Scriptures and the oral teachings and practices passed down from the Holy Apostles of Christ. The Philokalia is a highly-influential anthology of key texts of 30 Holy Fathers and Mothers of the Orthodox Church from the 4th to the 15th centuries, compliled by two saints and published in Athens in 1777. Only four of the five volumes of the massive Greek original have yet been published in English. Many of these texts originated as talks prepared by abbots of monasteries for an audience of seasoned monks who were quite advanced in the ascetic life, though some texts are suitable for beginners. Thus the average modern reader needs a guide like this book to point out the basics, lest the beginner attempt to comprehend and put into practice passages for which he or she is not ready, leading to discouragement and even spiritual harm. This book focuses on twenty basic themes from the Philokalia, such as watchfulness (nepsis), thoughts (logismoi), spiritual discipline (ascesis), the heart, the intellect (nous), inner stillness (hesychia), the passions, deification (theosis), discernment (diakrisis), spiritual synergy, and of course, the Jesus Prayer. The author, Fr. Anthony Coniaris, is a priest of Greek Orthodox Archiocese of America, and the author of many books for lay people. Those desiring (and ready for) a much lengthier and deeper approach to the Philokalia should consult his earlier book, Philokalia: The Bible of Orthodox Spirituality.

I'm only halfway through. I read one short chapter on the heart and have spent two days contemplating what I've read. I really think most Biblically-learned Chrisitians who read this would feel thinks "click" into place. Truly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.