Mainstreaming heresy

27,594 Views | 574 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by NonReg85
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So everything God wants you to do only has to do with being close to Him?

How does that jive with the Old Testament? Eating shellfish keeps you away from him?

Of course you aren't supposed to follow all those same rules but it seems to me the God of the Bible concerns himself with our everyday lives more than just how close we are to Him.
7nine
PacifistAg
AG
BusterAg said:

Your version of improving yourself involves maximizing the market value of your skillset. God's version of bettering yourself is very different.

Work is important. It is a good thing. But desire for success is a complete distraction away from Christianity.

If your love for your co-workers is less than your desire to achieve, then you have a priority issue.

This.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Porque no los dos?
Zobel
AG
No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.
Solo Tetherball Champ
So I presume you don't have a job? Or are you drawing a false dichotomy.
Zobel
AG
You asked why it can't be both. That's why it can't be both.

You can either want God and despise the world or want the world and despise God. The word translated as despise or hate is an implied comparison. You either see the value of God and despise the whole world by comparison, or you value the world and thus reject God by comparison. The scriptures show this as pretty binary.

Of course, having money doesn't imply a person wants it or is enslaved to it. And appearing pious doesn't mean a person wants God or is enslaved to Him. People can want attention, they can be like the Pharisee...or very wealthy men who can be like St Joseph of Aramathea.

The point is, neither having or not having matters. The only thing that matters is God, and the cycle of ever deeper repentance leading to ever deeper knowledge of Him. The key is Christian humility, which is understanding ourself properly in relation to God alone. In this way, we see that all men are equally zero when compared to God. Just like a small amount of money and all the money in the world are equally zero when compared to the Uncreated.
7thGenTexan
AG
RetiredAg said:

7nine,
Which person was more successful in their career, as you think God would define it?

Person A treated coworkers with respect and kindness, was trustworthy, reliable, always helpful and sacrificial, and was a constant witness to God through word and deed. But, Person A also never rose above mail clerk and minimum wage. Spent entire life in relative poverty, so instead focused on building relationships with the marginalized since charitable giving was not possible.

Person B was ambitious and hard worker. Produced a fantastic work product and rose quickly in rank and compensation. Nobody in the company knew he was a follower of Christ, and was generally well liked. Had large bank accounts and gave a lot to charity, but never bothered to build relationships with the marginalized.

Which one was more a "success"?

Person B would bring many more marginalized people from the periphery to significance. Person A is either slothful, burying his talents, or just not very bright. Hanging out with poor people can be admirable (or virtue signaling), but but rising tides lift all ships. I'd certainly rather hang out with B and take advice from him.

As for never knowing someone followed Christ, I dont trust anyone in business who talks about his religion all the time. That's the guy who will **** you over. Beware Bible Beating Businessmen.
7thGenTexan
AG
RetiredAg said:

I'm still curious how many of Christ's disciples became financially prosperous after choosing to follow Him. I mean, I know one of His disciples got 30 pieces of silver, but I don't think that was a blessing. Surely if financial and material abundance was what Christ meant for His followers, those who were His closest followers would provide some evidence of this. Because, as far as I'm aware, none became wealthy and had to rely on the generosity of others. All but John were murdered, and John was imprisoned. Looking at it from the world's perspective, they didn't live abundant lives.

That's the problem though. The prosperity gospel approaches "abundance" from the world's understanding of "abundance".
Paul remained comfortable. We don't really know much about most of the original disciples or their families, but there are numerous wealthy and powerful Christians in Acts and elsewhere. Philemon was wealthy. Cornelius wasn't poor (and he wasn't a pacifist either, being a centurion). Sergius Paulus was a proconsul in Cyprus. Priscilla and Aquila had money.

I'm not going to defend scheming televangelists or motivational speakers, but an RV, good food, a computer with internet, and plenty of beer would be extreme wealth to hundreds of millions if not billions of people (again, it's all relative). I'm thinking you should probably give those things away to make up for selling your house instead of giving it away to the homeless:

Zobel
AG
I think people sometimes miss a key word in the story of the rich young ruler. Christ tells the man if he would be complete or perfect - teleois - then give all of his money away. Complete, having reached the end purpose for which a thing was made.

I pointed it out above. If you love God, you will hate the world by comparison. If you love the world, you will hate God. In perfection, we love God to the point that we despise the world completely. I know I'm not anywhere close. I love a lot of things in this world, I'm not are I will ever be able to love God properly or love my fellow men. St Maximos says in perfect love we treat all people equally because we see God in them. I know I'm nowhere close to that.

So, perhaps the difficulty here is that there is, there should be, a tension in the Christian life while we yet live. St Paul writes about this in Philippians 1 to the point that the only reason he wants to go on living is because it's his labor for Christ. We should be moving toward perfection in Christ. Does that mean we die penniless? Maybe, maybe not. But we should feel a draw to God that is so powerful in love that we only long for Him, and that means we don't long for anything created at all. This should be our goal.

I think the bad thing about this philosophy - and the truth is, it's a refinement or amplification of an extant cultural concept - is that it makes no such demands. What is perfection? For you to be blessed. For you to be happy. It's vague, but it doesn't say Christ, period. Deny yourself for Him, period. Is it any surprise then that people then don't imagine that the perfect way is a rejection of desire for all things other than God?

How many today if they had to leave their job for Christ would be able to do it without going away sad like the rich young ruler? Not me, I fail this test. And so Christ's words apply to me - how difficult it is for me to enter the kingdom of heaven. But of course the gospel is sweet and full of light and hope, because we know the answer to "then who can be saved?"

And looking at them Jesus said to them, "With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Solo Tetherball Champ
Question for you: What glorifies God more: excellence in work, and all aspects of life, or mediocrity? What is a better witness to others?
diehard03
Quote:

Question for you: What glorifies God more: excellence in work, and all aspects of life, or mediocrity? What is a better witness to others?

I feel like this has become such a bizarre conversation. Clearly, God desires our best efforts in everything. However, there is no obligation on God's part, nor should there be any expectancy, for God to fast track your career.

God is not a blessings vending machine.
BusterAg
AG
7thGenTexan said:

Person B would bring many more marginalized people from the periphery to significance. Person A is either slothful, burying his talents, or just not very bright. Hanging out with poor people can be admirable (or virtue signaling), but but rising tides lift all ships. I'd certainly rather hang out with B and take advice from him.
See, here is your issue. You are commingling American values and priorities with Christian values, and saying that the American values are actually from Christ. They just are not. Person A can live a very important life of meaning, and not be wasting his talents at all. I have a grocer that works at Randall's that is super pleasant to interact with every day. The man stocks produce. But, we still have conversations about Russian literature and interesting physics articles that he reads every day.

Everyone at that store love him, because he treats everyone with kindness and respect. In my mind, he is very successful.

I will say this: I do agree with the idea that rising tides lift all ships. By contributing to society, you are going to help pay for the research and development that will eventually lead to a child amputee that gets a new arm grown from a petri dish. Working hard for that kid that you will never meet, and praying for the progress of mankind away from war and suffering, has some Christian value behind it. But, working hard for success, and praying for success, with the knowledge that your success might help the child amputee in the future, your success is the only reward that you will get, and success if empty and fleeting.
Zobel
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

Who said anything about mediocrity?

You are drawing barriers where none exist. For a Christian there are no aspects of life. There is one aspect, one goal - Christ. He's the beginning, and the end, and the way in between.

The best witness to others is to make Christ the singular focus of your life. That way in all we do, we can do it in love (1cor 16:14), as unto the Lord (Col 3:23), wholeheartedly (Eph 6:27), in the name of the Lord Jesus (Col 3:17) -- with no conflicts whatsoever about our priorities or where we are storing treasure. In this way our entire life becomes a living sacrifice to God - and in a new, and different way that is completely not conformed to this world (cf Romans 12). If you can be in the same job with the same goals acting and living and working in the same way as a nonbeliever -- you're not yet perfect. We supposed to be peculiar people.
BusterAg
AG

Excellence is better than sloth.

What is excellence, though? Money? Achievement? Power?

There is a guy in this world who has the very best Super Mario Brothers skills on the planet. Nobody cares. He probably lives in his mother's basement.
BusterAg
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

So all the nice things you have are blessing from God. And as you watch a poor person whom needs your help to eat today, and they ask if you thought they could look towards God to get out of the financial misery they were in, you would sit in your nice house and tell them that "welp God only gives to those that he wants, so just be content with what you have and praise Him". And that would be all the advise you would offer??
Obviously not. Taking care of the stranger and the poor is as Christian as it gets. But, taking care of the poor will not earn you success. And you should not only take care of poor Christians who are praying to God. And if your aim in taking care of the poor is recognition from others or potentially future blessings from God, then that recognition or future blessings will be the only reward that you get, and you will miss out on the life of meaning that God is trying to get you to live.
Texaggie7nine
But actually encouraging to have faith that God will help them out of their poverty if they listen to him and work hard is bad huh?
7nine
fightinags2013
AG
Don't have much time to contribute to the conversation, but I do love recommending books...
Douthat- Bad Religion (How We Became A Nation of Heritics)
& Russell Moore- Onward (Engaging The Culture Without Losing The Gospel)
Solo Tetherball Champ
Quote:

Quote:

Excellence is better than sloth.

What is excellence, though? Money? Achievement? Power?
It can be all those things, and it can be more. You can be an excellent employee, husband, or father.

For what it is worth I'm considering excellence by measuring your results. You judge a tree by its fruit.
Quote:

There is a guy in this world who has the very best Super Mario Brothers skills on the planet. Nobody cares. He probably lives in his mother's basement.
He very well could live in his mothers basement. Or that could just be a hobby of his.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Quote:

Quote:

Texaggie7nine said:

So all the nice things you have are blessing from God. And as you watch a poor person whom needs your help to eat today, and they ask if you thought they could look towards God to get out of the financial misery they were in, you would sit in your nice house and tell them that "welp God only gives to those that he wants, so just be content with what you have and praise Him". And that would be all the advise you would offer??
Obviously not. Taking care of the stranger and the poor is as Christian as it gets. But, taking care of the poor will not earn you success.
"A Generous man will prosper, and he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed."

"One who is gracious to a poor man lends to the LORD, And He will repay him for his good deed."
Quote:

And you should not only take care of poor Christians who are praying to God.
No, but that is who I look to take care of first. I first take care of my family, then my family in the faith, and then the rest of humanity, starting with those close and moving further away.

Quote:

And if your aim in taking care of the poor is recognition from others or potentially future blessings from God, then that recognition or future blessings will be the only reward that you get, and you will miss out on the life of meaning that God is trying to get you to live.
Out of the "prosperity teachers" that I've read and listened to messages of there is not one who would disagree with you.

Why are you helping others? Joyfully, because you want to help them? Begrudgingly, because you feel like you have to? Or selfishly, because you feel like it is an investment that you will get a return on? It should be something that you desire to do to benefit them. But recognizing what it says in the Bible about (see the quote from proverbs above) how doing so will benefit you does not somehow take the focus off of them.

I've heard stories of people who took an interest in helping others perform better and even succeed at work and saw raises and promotions come their way because coworkers and bosses took note of it. Even if their motives were selfish, the result would very likely have been the same.

Now, do I personally believe if their motives were purely about helping in others in their work, will God not at the least remember them for it? Yes. Do I also believe that there is a practical, component to this in our lives here? Yes, see the quote above. As Christ said, "Give, and it will be given to you; a good measure--pressed down, shaken together, and running over--will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you." If you give out mercy, mercy will be given to you. Judgement? you will be judged harshly. Kindness? People will give it back to you. Generosity? People will be generous to you.

Even if your motives are purely selfish (not that I'm endorsing this), you can help yourself through your generosity to others. Rememer the parable of the Unjust Steward? By forgiving others of their debts, the steward had secured friends for himself when his master ultimately fired him. Jesus commended the unjust steward for shrewdly dealing with those around him in order to help himself, even though he was an ungodly and unrighteous man.

Zobel
AG

Quote:

"A Generous man will prosper, and he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed."

"One who is gracious to a poor man lends to the LORD, And He will repay him for his good deed."
Yes...but nowhere does it say "with money". Why are you so concerned over the idea that you may not be repaid in kind? Are you worried that the reward God gives you might not be as good as material wealth?

Quote:

No, but that is who I look to take care of first. I first take care of my family, then my family in the faith, and then the rest of humanity, starting with those close and moving further away.
I'm not sure that this approach is scriptural... but I'm also not sure it's wrong, as phrased. It depends on if you would not help person A to help person B on account of that one or the other exists in a different relationship to you. I'm not sure this is supportable if that's the case, because all men have an equal status before God.

Quote:

Now, do I personally believe if their motives were purely about helping in others in their work, will God not at the least remember them for it? Yes. Do I also believe that there is a practical, component to this in our lives here? Yes, see the quote above. As Christ said, "Give, and it will be given to you; a good measure--pressed down, shaken together, and running over--will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you." If you give out mercy, mercy will be given to you. Judgement? you will be judged harshly. Kindness? People will give it back to you. Generosity? People will be generous to you.
Man, this philosophy is so insidious. No one is saying you can't be nice, or wise, or a good businessman. The problem is mixing, adulterating good, true teachings with the reward of our Faith.

You always talk about context. Can we put that quote in context? Bolded part is my own:
Quote:

A
Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.
Blessed are you who hunger now, for you shall be satisfied.
Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh.
Blessed are you when men hate you, and ostracize you, and insult you, and scorn your name as evil, for the sake of the Son of Man. Be glad in that day and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven. For in the same way their fathers used to treat the prophets.

B
But woe to you who are rich, for you are receiving your comfort in full.
Woe to you who are well-fed now, for you shall be hungry.
Woe to you who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep.
Woe to you when all men speak well of you, for their fathers used to treat the false prophets in the same way.

C
But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. Whoever hits you on the cheek, offer him the other also; and whoever takes away your coat, do not withhold your shirt from him either. Give to everyone who asks of you, and whoever takes away what is yours, do not demand it back. Treat others the same way you want them to treat you.

D
If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them.
If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same.
If you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners in order to receive back the same amount.

E
But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. Do not judge, and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon, and you will be pardoned. Give, and it will be given to you. They will pour into your lap a good measurepressed down, shaken together, and running over. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return."
By my read we have a few themes here to learn. A and B are blessings contrasted with woes. Then we have a teaching -- section C, kindness in the face of adverse situations, followed by an explanation, D about C. The last part, E, is a culmination of the teaching.

A stands alone, B stands alone, I think these need no explanation (although they should be challenging to all of us, I think).

C says when someone is cruel, be kind.

D says if we're only nice to nice, it's not worth anything. I don't think it's a stretch to say if we work hard at our jobs to be excellent or make money, it's not worth anything -- "even sinners do this". It's the same lesson from Luke 11 / Matthew 7 (ask, seek, knock). Note that He doesn't say it's BAD -- this is the false dichotomy shown over and over again in this thread. It's not bad to lend and expect to receive, to labor and expect compensation. It's just of no credit to you.

How you can read that passage and walk away imagining that this has anything to do with material gain or somehow justifies this idea that if we're good Christians we will get material rewards is beyond me. Christ is saying give love, give mercy, give charity, give grace, give forgiveness, and it will be given to you. The whole challenge is to be peculiar and different, and if we expect God to reward our meager generosity in kind, we will have received our reward in full.
Solo Tetherball Champ

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes...but nowhere does it say "with money". Why are you so concerned over the idea that you may not be repaid in kind? Are you worried that the reward God gives you might not be as good as material wealth?

I thought from my post above that it was clear that I was not simply talking about money. You're correct that it nowhere says "with money". However, it doesn't exclude money either. I wasn't necessarily trying to focus on money, I'm just focusing on the principle here: Be good/kind/generous/forgiving/merciful to others, and people will be good/kind/generous/forgiving/merciful to you. That may include a material benefit to you, or it may lead to a more peaceful and fruitful relationship with each other. If I am pleasant to someone and they treat me like crap, yeah, I'll be disappointed. But I won't change how I act. Pragmatically, regardless of the quality of his work (within reason) everyone likes the fun, kind, generous gal who brings doughnuts to work on Friday, and loathes the inconsiderate and rude one of the office, even if his work is excellent. Why not be both the excellent employee and the generous, loving soul?

I'm not concerned about being "repaid in kind." But don't act like those proverbs exclude that you can benefit in some way. There are plenty of proverbs that deal with how foolish words and foolish actions come around to the ruin of the one who committed them. I've heard it called "Karma", "What goes around, comes around", or "You reap what you sow". That can be negative reaping, or a positive one. It can be a negative material reaping, or a positive one as well.

And to answer your last question, no I am not concerned. Why do you always assume the worst of me?
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
I'm not sure that this approach is scriptural... but I'm also not sure it's wrong, as phrased. It depends on if you would not help person A to help person B on account of that one or the other exists in a different relationship to you. I'm not sure this is supportable if that's the case, because all men have an equal status before God.
I think you are nitpicking at me here when pragmatically, you have no problems with my outlook.

In other words, I am not able to help everyone, so I have to be more selective in who I try to help. I first have to help my family: "A man who does not provide for his family had denied the faith is worse than an infidel". That means my wife and children. Next, I look to my extended family, parents, siblings, etc. "Honor your father and mother..." Then, I look to members of my congregation whom I can assist. Following that, I look increasingly outward.

The reason I primarily try to help those close enough is so that I can see the results of my aid. I want to help people so that they will not need my help, rather than have them come to rely on my help or even worse, abuse my assistance. If the aid is given directly, I can see it. If it is with a local organization, I have less visibility of the results. If the organization is helping people far away, it is very difficult to confirm what they're actually doing with the resources given them. So if family, congregation, or acquaintances waste the resources that I have provided them, I should forgive them. But that does not mean I continue to give aid to them, in keeping with the idea of stewardship.

To be clear, I'm not talking about not rendering aid to someone who is in dire straights (sick, wounded, etc). I'm referring to charity and aid. If my brother approaches me and says he can't make rent, and I give him $1000, only to see a week later that he has bought an Xbox and a 70 inch TV with the money I gave him, barring repentance, I'm going to be more hesitant to aid him again. I have limited resources. Even if I was a millionaire, multi-millionaire, or even a billionaire, there is only so much that I can do so I have to wisely allocate my aid.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Man, this philosophy is so insidious. No one is saying you can't be nice, or wise, or a good businessman. The problem is mixing, adulterating good, true teachings with the reward of our Faith

How so? Is everything put off until that which is to come? You say it is. I say it isn't.

As you pointed out below, Christ himself said to treat others the way you would want to be treated. So if I treat people well, I would hope that they would do so to me. If they don't return the action/sentiment, I should continue to do so. As a marketing guy, I deal with clients of status and personalities. My personal philosophy is to treat people the way they want to be treated. When I do so, I find that I have few problems dealing with them and more productive relationships. Is that philosophy pragmatic, or even selfish? Yes. Does it also put their needs ahead of my own, because sometimes I have to chit-chat a client rather than work, or I have to suck up to someone I would rather not suck up to? Yes.
Quote:

Quote:

You always talk about context. Can we put that quote in context? Bolded part is my own:

Quote:
A
Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.
Blessed are you who hunger now, for you shall be satisfied.
Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh.
Blessed are you when men hate you, and ostracize you, and insult you, and scorn your name as evil, for the sake of the Son of Man. Be glad in that day and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven. For in the same way their fathers used to treat the prophets.

B
But woe to you who are rich, for you are receiving your comfort in full.
Woe to you who are well-fed now, for you shall be hungry.
Woe to you who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep.
Woe to you when all men speak well of you, for their fathers used to treat the false prophets in the same way.

C
But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. Whoever hits you on the cheek, offer him the other also; and whoever takes away your coat, do not withhold your shirt from him either. Give to everyone who asks of you, and whoever takes away what is yours, do not demand it back. Treat others the same way you want them to treat you.

D
If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them.
If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same.
If you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners in order to receive back the same amount.

E
But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. Do not judge, and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon, and you will be pardoned. Give, and it will be given to you. They will pour into your lap a good measurepressed down, shaken together, and running over. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return."

By my read we have a few themes here to learn. A and B are blessings contrasted with woes. Then we have a teaching -- section C, kindness in the face of adverse situations, followed by an explanation, D about C. The last part, E, is a culmination of the teaching.

A stands alone, B stands alone, I think these need no explanation (although they should be challenging to all of us, I think).

I'm not so sure they stand alone, but that is an entirely different discussion.

Quote:

C says when someone is cruel, be kind.

D says if we're only nice to nice, it's not worth anything. I don't think it's a stretch to say if we work hard at our jobs to be excellent or make money, it's not worth anything -- "even sinners do this". It's the same lesson from Luke 11 / Matthew 7 (ask, seek, knock). Note that He doesn't say it's BAD -- this is the false dichotomy shown over and over again in this thread. It's not bad to lend and expect to receive, to labor and expect compensation. It's just of no credit to you.
When have I said anything opposed to this? While I do expect some sort of reciprocity if I treat people a certain way, if I do not receive it in return I am not going to change my behavior to them. So no, I am not just speaking about being nice to nice.

If you are helpful and pleasant to others in addition to doing your job well I'd be willing to bet that you would be promoted or otherwise honored, if not respected at your place of work. Is God directly blessing you with his hand? Or are you simply applying his teaching to his life and seeing the fruit thereof? You tell me.

One thing to consider: When he is saying "Do X, and Receive X", he is clearing saying do X towards me. Now, are we receiving X from men, God, or both? My answer is both. It appears that you lean towards the idea that it is only God that we will be receiving X from, but not in this life.

Quote:

How you can read that passage and walk away imagining that this has anything to do with material gain or somehow justifies this idea that if we're good Christians we will get material rewards is beyond me. Christ is saying give love, give mercy, give charity, give grace, give forgiveness, and it will be given to you.
He doesn't exclude any sort of material gain. Basically, look at the principle he is talking about:

He who Blesses others shall be blessed.
A generous man will prosper.
Treat others the way you want to be treated.
For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return.
What you sow unto to others you will reap.

Do those things as if you were not going to get anything in return. If I am being treated poorly by one who I am kind and generous to, God will remember and reward me. If someone is rude to me, but my kindness/generousitiy to them causes them to change their treatment of me, does it nullify any rememberance or reward that God has for me?

Quote:

The whole challenge is to be peculiar and different, and if we expect God to reward our meager generosity in kind, we will have received our reward in full.
No. He said "So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full."

If I am simply being kind to be seen as a kind person, it is meaningless to God. If I am kind because I think they deserve it, then we're talking about an entirely different mindset - even if that act of kindness was in public.

Continued:

"Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven."

2 So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

This whole passage is referring to what I've seen called "virtue signaling". The idea being that you are doing virtuous deeds not for the benefit of the recipient, but because you want to be seen by others as virtuous. If your goal is to be perceived as a good guy, so you make your generosity/kindness public, sure, people will assume you are a good guy. You have seen your reward. But you have not moved the needle at all with God.

I've seen some translation that add the word "openly" to "So that your giving may be in secret, and then your father who sees what is done in secret will reward openly" and in the next paragraph regarding prayer as well. I don't automatically assume a material reward, but I don't exclude it either.

Zobel
AG
There's no benefit to continuing this discussion. You are wholly committed to your stance, so nothing I can say will change that.

One thing that stands out is you're blending pragmatism with theology. As a thought exercise - we're not Christians because its practical or pragmatic. We don't "do" Christianity because it "works". We "do" Christianity because we are faithful to Christ. The fact that you can apply Christian teachings to everyday life is a bonus, but we should be careful not to reduce the wisdom of Christ, the teaching of the Incarnate Logos of God, into "just good business" or "a good way to live". People have done so (because obviously there is truth there). But our faith has to be taken as a whole, and it starts with repentance and death to self.

As a final thought on this -- when literally every single other Christian who has participated on this thread has said there are at best some real dangers here and at worst blatantly un-Christian teachings, perhaps it should give caution? The only other person defending this approach to the scriptures is not a Christian and openly rejects Christianity. Just an observation.
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

We don't "do" Christianity because it "works". We "do" Christianity because we are faithful to <insert deity here>.

Muslims and other crazy religions would say the exact same thing.

If you want to use a popularity rating on this board as far as what should be considered to be the correct view of the Bible then I hate to tell you, you would be outnumbered in your particular orthodox take.
7nine
diehard03
Quote:

Muslims and other crazy religions would say the exact same thing.

If you want to use a popularity rating on this board as far as what should be considered to be the correct view of the Bible then I hate to tell you, you would be outnumbered in your particular orthodox take.

I think his point is more that we didn't choose Christianity because of it's sweet rewards program.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Quote:

There's no benefit to continuing this discussion. You are wholly committed to your stance, so nothing I can say will change that.
Pragmatism will do that.

Quote:

One thing that stands out is you're blending pragmatism with theology.
Yes? Because I can look at different places in the Bible and see from all the different stories, proverbs, parables, etc that there are principles being at play and I can then apply those principles to my life?

Quote:

As a thought exercise - we're not Christians because its practical or pragmatic. We don't "do" Christianity because it "works". We "do" Christianity because we are faithful to Christ.l
We "do" Christianity to worship God and glorify him. I feel that I glorify him if I am doing everything with excellence and trying to succeed to the best of my ability, in all avenues of life. In work, in my family, in my friendships. As a thought exercise: what glorified God more: David defeating the enemies of Israel, or Israel becoming overrun by its enemies?

Quote:

The fact that you can apply Christian teachings to everyday life is a bonus, but we should be careful not to reduce the wisdom of Christ, the teaching of the Incarnate Logos of God, into "just good business" or "a good way to live". People have done so (because obviously there is truth there). But our faith has to be taken as a whole, and it starts with repentance and death to self.
I'm not reducing anything. As you said I'm applying. I've never used the word "good business" or "a good way to live". However, both of those things are in the Bible, in addition to advice on marital life, child-rearing, etc. However, you are correct that there is much more to Christianity than simply how you live.
Quote:

As a final thought on this -- when literally every single other Christian who has participated on this thread has said there are at best some real dangers here and at worst blatantly un-Christian teachings, perhaps it should give caution?
I've said time and time again that was has been presented of the "prosperity gospel" is not what has actually been taught, or at least how I have heard it taught. I've conceded that I have never heard Paula White (among others) speak, so I can not attest to what she actually believes and preaches. However, that has not stopped the rest of you who have never read nor listened to any of her messages from jumping to conclusions about her and others based upon quotes that are clearly removed from context. All of the accusations against her may very well be true. Creflo Dollar may simply be a charlatan scamming his congregation out of their money. I can admit that I don't know. You all, when told by those who have actually been in those congregations that "hey guys? That isn't what is taught" have doubled down.
Quote:

The only other person defending this approach to the scriptures is not a Christian and openly rejects Christianity. Just an observation.
He is the only one other than me who has actually listened to the so-called "prosperity" message. Like me, he has been trying to state what they actually believe. He doesn't believe it, but he has been around it long enough to say what they do believe.
7thGenTexan
AG
BusterAg said:

7thGenTexan said:

See, here is your issue. You are commingling American values and priorities with Christian values, and saying that the American values are actually from Christ. They just are not. Person A can live a very important life of meaning, and not be wasting his talents at all. I have a grocer that works at Randall's that is super pleasant to interact with every day. The man stocks produce. But, we still have conversations about Russian literature and interesting physics articles that he reads every day.

Everyone at that store love him, because he treats everyone with kindness and respect. In my mind, he is very successful.

I will say this: I do agree with the idea that rising tides lift all ships. By contributing to society, you are going to help pay for the research and development that will eventually lead to a child amputee that gets a new arm grown from a petri dish. Working hard for that kid that you will never meet, and praying for the progress of mankind away from war and suffering, has some Christian value behind it. But, working hard for success, and praying for success, with the knowledge that your success might help the child amputee in the future, your success is the only reward that you will get, and success if empty and fleeting.
In his scenario, person B does not seek success merely for personal gain. Person B is well liked, diligent, thrifty, and charitable. He just doesn't seek relationships with the marginalized. If you are yourself marginalized, then maybe being friends with others who are downtrodden and treating them with respect is the best you can do. There are many reasons why Christendom rose to the greatest heights of wealth and ingenuity of the world's cultures, and the thrift and diligence of Christians are two of those major reasons. If you want to just be left alone and wander the wilderness, that's fine by me, and I see nothing immoral about that. A person like that would probably be fun to have a drink with, but I'd rather keep regular company with people who want to rise above that. And many (far from all) who wallow in poverty do so because of slothfulness and burying talents.
BusterAg
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Yes.

This is the purpose of man.
BusterAg
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

But actually encouraging to have faith that God will help them out of their poverty if they listen to him and work hard is bad huh?
There is nothing wrong with praying to God for him to help you do better at your job, or help you pay your bills, or find your daily bread.

But that is a far far cry from "It is God's will that you live debt free and send your kids to nice colleges"

Quit trying to pretend that these are the same messages, because they just are not.
7thGenTexan
AG
BusterAg said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Yes.

Love the lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind, and love your neighbor as yourself.

Everyone in this thread is extremely wealthy. And every Christian in this thread would be crying out to God for help if that weren't the case.
BusterAg
AG
7thGenTexan said:

In his scenario, person B does not seek success merely for personal gain. Person B is well liked, diligent, thrifty, and charitable. He just doesn't seek relationships with the marginalized. If you are yourself marginalized, then maybe being friends with others who are downtrodden and treating them with respect is the best you can do. There are many reasons why Christendom rose to the greatest heights of wealth and ingenuity of the world's cultures, and the thrift and diligence of Christians are two of those major reasons. If you want to just be left alone and wander the wilderness, that's fine by me, and I see nothing immoral about that. A person like that would probably be fun to have a drink with, but I'd rather keep regular company with people who want to rise above that. And many (far from all) who wallow in poverty do so because of slothfulness and burying talents.
Great. Go work hard. Associate with people that also want to succeed. Celebrate the success of the great wealthy Christians who went before you. But, that attitude kind of reminds me of Stevie Colbert at the 2014 emmys.

7thGenTexan
AG
Sorry, I don't click on Stephen Colbert links. I do laugh at rich people such as yourself virtue signaling about the nobility of the downtrodden.
Sapper Redux
7thGenTexan said:

Sorry, I don't click on Stephen Colbert links. I do laugh at rich people such as yourself virtue signaling about the nobility of the downtrodden.

How much interaction do you have with the downtrodden?
BusterAg
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Quote:

1. You're always fond of the eternal suffering point of view. What value is anything, even a lot of something, if ultimately it is temporal, when compared to the point of view of eternity?
Well if God created a pit of eternal suffering where millions of humans were going to go then I would advise to not follow that evil god.

However, in the context of Joel's preaching, there is nothing wrong with wanting to ease your suffering while here and using the tool of faith to work with God to live in abundance.
Here is the irony. This idol of success that you are propping up, this being a Christian so that you can "work with God to live in abundance" is the same thing as the "pit of eternal suffering where millions of humans go."

Hell is not a punishment for making success the most important aspect of your life, making success the most important aspect of your life IS hell, and those ramifications will last into eternity, whatever that means.
Texaggie7nine
BusterAg said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Yes.

So then explain Leviticus.
7nine
Texaggie7nine
BusterAg said:

Texaggie7nine said:

There is nothing wrong with praying to God for him to help you do better at your job, or help you pay your bills, or find your daily bread.

But that is a far far cry from "It is God's will that you live debt free and send your kids to nice colleges"

Quit trying to pretend that these are the same messages, because they just are not.
Sorry, trying to look up that sermon from Joel. Funny I can't find it. Nice colleges aye?
7nine

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.