Overhyped movie you didnt like

18,809 Views | 266 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by YouBet
surfandturfsbisa96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Citizen Kane, the ultimate film studies nerd movie. I understand why it was important to the history of film, but I can't imagine people actually enjoying the movie other than from a historical perspective.

2001. I love science fiction, I enjoyed the novel. The movie is a total snooze fest. Honestly, other than A Clockwork Orange and the first half of Full Metal Jacket, I'm not a fan of Stanley Kubrick.

Man, I really love Citizen Kane, but you are right that a lot of the allure is the ground breaking camera work and narrative structure. When I first saw it I thought it seemed so modern compared to other classics.
HollywoodBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll accept the ridicule but for me it was "Beverly Hills Cop"

When it was released, I was 14 and living in Saudi Arabia where we didn't have movie theaters. By the time I got to the USA to start my sophomore year of HS in 1985, it seemed like all of my new friends had seen the movie and were reciting all the dialogue to each other.

So, by the time I finally saw the movie, I'd already heard all of the jokes and didn't think the movie was that funny.

But, it was pretty amazing that in just a few years Brad Hamilton went from working at All American Burger to being a detective with BHPD.

Speaking of Judge Reinhold who went to Basic Training in "Stripes" before attending Ridgemont High.

Stripes was one that I thought was overhyped before I saw it. I appreciate the movie and I've stayed in those exact same WWII barracks at Fort Knox. Again, probably because my dumb HS friends were all running around reciting "That a fact Jack!" and "Aaaaaarrrrmy Training Sir".
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's some 80s movies that are universally liked that I don't care for.

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark. I was born in 1979 so Temple of Doom was the first Indiana Jones movie I saw. I owned it and watched it dozens of times. I watched the Last Crusade in theaters and loved it, but I didn't get around to watching Raiders until right before Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out. By then, I was 29 years old, Raiders was 27 years old, and it just felt dated. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I saw them in the correct order, but I'd still rank Raiders 3rd of the Indiana Jones movies.

2. The Goonies. Another classic kid 80s movie that for whatever reason, never saw as a kid. When I finally watched it as an adult, I thought it was meh.

3. Top Gun. The flying parts of the movie are great, but the other 75% of the movie absolutely sucks. Top Gun Maverick is awesome though.

4. ET: the movie never did anything for me. I think it's kind of boring.

Also, I think the overwhelming majority of James Bond movies are not very good, even the Sean Connery movies. I do like Goldfinger and Thunderball, but that's really it until Goldeneye. Daniel Craig is by far the best Bond.

Other than Spaceballs, which is a top 5 all time comedy, I don't find Mel Brooks movies to be that funny. (I haven't seen Young Frankenstein)
Blonde Coffee Beans
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As a huge Goonies fan, I could see why it made the list. The cult following is next level. With that said, Goonies never say die!
"I don't care about your feelings OP. I'm not going to let fandom replace reason, thought, and history"
dave94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bruce Almighty said:


1. Raiders of the Lost Ark. I was born in 1979 so Temple of Doom was the first Indiana Jones movie I saw. I owned it and watched it dozens of times. I watched the Last Crusade in theaters and loved it, but I didn't get around to watching Raiders until right before Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out. By then, I was 29 years old, Raiders was 27 years old, and it just felt dated. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I saw them in the correct order, but I'd still rank Raiders 3rd of the Indiana Jones movies.



After obviously loving Temple of Doom you never went back to watch Raiders during that timeframe???

That seems a little bit crazy.
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

There's some 80s movies that are universally liked that I don't care for.

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark. I was born in 1979 so Temple of Doom was the first Indiana Jones movie I saw. I owned it and watched it dozens of times. I watched the Last Crusade in theaters and loved it, but I didn't get around to watching Raiders until right before Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out. By then, I was 29 years old, Raiders was 27 years old, and it just felt dated. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I saw them in the correct order, but I'd still rank Raiders 3rd of the Indiana Jones movies.

2. The Goonies. Another classic kid 80s movie that for whatever reason, never saw as a kid. When I finally watched it as an adult, I thought it was meh.

3. Top Gun. The flying parts of the movie are great, but the other 75% of the movie absolutely sucks. Top Gun Maverick is awesome though.

4. ET: the movie never did anything for me. I think it's kind of boring.

Also, I think the overwhelming majority of James Bond movies are not very good, even the Sean Connery movies. I do like Goldfinger and Thunderball, but that's really it until Goldeneye. Daniel Craig is by far the best Bond.

Other than Spaceballs, which is a top 5 all time comedy, I don't find Mel Brooks movies to be that funny. (I haven't seen Young Frankenstein)

Maybe good movies just aren't for you. Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of the greatest movies ever made.
FL_Ag1998
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

There's some 80s movies that are universally liked that I don't care for.

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark. I was born in 1979 so Temple of Doom was the first Indiana Jones movie I saw. I owned it and watched it dozens of times. I watched the Last Crusade in theaters and loved it, but I didn't get around to watching Raiders until right before Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out. By then, I was 29 years old, Raiders was 27 years old, and it just felt dated. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I saw them in the correct order, but I'd still rank Raiders 3rd of the Indiana Jones movies.

2. The Goonies. Another classic kid 80s movie that for whatever reason, never saw as a kid. When I finally watched it as an adult, I thought it was meh.

3. Top Gun. The flying parts of the movie are great, but the other 75% of the movie absolutely sucks. Top Gun Maverick is awesome though.

4. ET: the movie never did anything for me. I think it's kind of boring.

Also, I think the overwhelming majority of James Bond movies are not very good, even the Sean Connery movies. I do like Goldfinger and Thunderball, but that's really it until Goldeneye. Daniel Craig is by far the best Bond.

Other than Spaceballs, which is a top 5 all time comedy, I don't find Mel Brooks movies to be that funny. (I haven't seen Young Frankenstein)


Pfffft, insert I don't believe you GIF. This whole post is one long troll job.
Hardcore Greg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
YouBet said:

- Black Panther
- Django Unchained
- I would say Star Wars 7-9 but were they really overhyped?
- It's a Wonderful Life: so overhyped I've never even seen it

This movie, in color, is incredible. So far ahead of its time imo. Anyone who has ever been down in the dumps, or felt like he's not enough, can relate.
JayHowdy!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sinners - there is not one thing that I liked about that movie.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
surfandturfsbisa96 said:

bagger05 said:

Blazing Saddles

Probably not fair to say that I "didn't like it" but this was a classic case of a movie being overhyped (it was overhyped to me personally). I was told to prepare myself for the funniest thing I'd ever seen in my life and there was simply no chance that it could live up to what was promised.

Me too- I was bored through most of it. A few good lines here and there, but that bubble burst pretty fast for me.


If I were mod there are several perma bans I would issue from this thread, but you two would be the first ones I gave out.

We could literally never be friends.
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
James Gunn Superman
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Shape Of Water
Sex Panther
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Everything Everywhere All At Once


This movie is so garbage
gigemags-99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Odyssey

Couldn't wait to get out of the theater
Apache
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jerry Maguire
Inception
Sinners

ElephantRider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Definitely Avatar for me
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ElephantRider said:

Definitely Avatar for me


You mean Dances with Smurfs?
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quite a few listed here that I would echo.

Which brings me to one of my biggest pet peeves in life, which is when I or anyone calls something "overrated" and people immediately assume you hate it. It's like people don't understand what the word overrated actually means. It doesn't mean I hate the movie, just that I think people rate it far higher than I it deserves. Black Panther is one of the mentioned examples I concur with and consider overrated . Bc before I saw it, there were people calling it one of if not the best comic book movie ever. On par with the Dark Knight, etc. It's a solid flick. Maybe in the upper half of Marvel movies. But, no, it doesn't belong anywhere near something like the Dark Knight. Hence it being overrated. It's good, but undeserving of the lofty praise. Just annoying.


In that same vein:
Sinners
Obsession
Avengers Endgame
Napoleon Dynamite
Avatar
LaLa Land
Barbie
Scarface
Hunger Games
Get Out
Django Unchained

All good or fine but definitely not great. Don't think I consider any of them "bad", with the exception of ND which I just didn't find all that funny. Maybe the bar got set too high before I watched any of them, but I think I left each varying levels of disappointed from how I walked in

Lathspell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In all fairness, there is a second part to the OP's question. He asked for overhyped movies that you "didn't like".

So he specifically is not asking about overrated movies that you enjoyed but others built it up to be better than they were. He was asking about hyped up movies that you actually don't like.
Josepi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want to punch some of y'all in the face after reading through this.
Psycho Bunny
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Josepi said:

I want to punch some of y'all in the face after reading through this.

I'll take a punch to the face.
New slogan for Aggie football.

"abandon all hope, ye who enter here"
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

jr15aggie said:

Jurassic World Rebirth

Boring, predictable, and a couple instances of terrible CGI.

Who besides the studio's own promos were hyping this up?


I just watched it a few weeks ago... I checked the old TexAgs thread expecting to see people very down on the movie. Instead, I saw a lot of people who really enjoyed the movie which surprised me.

It also grossed $872 million worldwide so I'm pretty sure it qualifies for this thread.
Elmo Lincoln
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rex Racer said:

I'm going to get absolutely killed for this, but I didn't like "No Country for Old Men".



At least you realize you're wrong. I admire that sort of self awareness.
Eliminatus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dunkirk

Though tbf, I may have been the one to hype myself up for it.
Rex Racer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Elmo Lincoln said:

Rex Racer said:

I'm going to get absolutely killed for this, but I didn't like "No Country for Old Men".



At least you realize you're wrong. I admire that sort of self awareness.

I was all in, but they didn't stick the landing, to me. I hated the end.
Shelton98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BigCityCold said:

Mad max fury road.

Walked out of this one. I know I am in the minority, but I thought it sucked.

100% agree. That movie was disgusting and I don't mind gross *****
Sooper Jeenyus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hardcore Greg said:

YouBet said:

- Black Panther
- Django Unchained
- I would say Star Wars 7-9 but were they really overhyped?
- It's a Wonderful Life: so overhyped I've never even seen it

This movie, in color, is incredible. So far ahead of its time imo. Anyone who has ever been down in the dumps, or felt like he's not enough, can relate.
And it's universally considered one of the greatest films of all time. You may not like it (which is crazy) but no one can call it "overhyped."
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Citizen Kane. IDGAF how many people say its the greatest movie of all time. They are wrong.
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Blade Runner (1982). Its alright, I guess. I don't get the love for it though. It was pretty, but also pretty boring.
TexAgBolter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Spider-Man movies in general.
maroon man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Oppenheimer
Thunderstruck xx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Avatar (sorry, don't care about your stupid blue aliens)
One Battle After Another (could not get through the first 30 min)
The Shape of Water (just ugh, puke)

Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

There's some 80s movies that are universally liked that I don't care for.

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark. I was born in 1979 so Temple of Doom was the first Indiana Jones movie I saw. I owned it and watched it dozens of times. I watched the Last Crusade in theaters and loved it, but I didn't get around to watching Raiders until right before Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out. By then, I was 29 years old, Raiders was 27 years old, and it just felt dated. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I saw them in the correct order, but I'd still rank Raiders 3rd of the Indiana Jones movies.

2. The Goonies. Another classic kid 80s movie that for whatever reason, never saw as a kid. When I finally watched it as an adult, I thought it was meh.

3. Top Gun. The flying parts of the movie are great, but the other 75% of the movie absolutely sucks. Top Gun Maverick is awesome though.

4. ET: the movie never did anything for me. I think it's kind of boring.


Pfffft, insert I don't believe you GIF. This whole post is one long troll job.

I'm 50/50 on this list.

Raiders - Classic. In my top 3 films of all time. Don't think I'll ever tire of it. Seen it more times than anything except Empire Strikes Back.

Goonies - saw it in the theatre when i was a kid. Meh. Never saw more than bits and pieces again. In later years, the only thing I found interesting about it is that Brolin is in it.

Top Gun - Loved it as a kid, still do. Probably more for the Reagan Era/Cold War dynamic and patriotism.

ET - hated it as a kid. Never watched it again. I thought the alien was gross and the kid were annoying. The whole single mom/divorce aspect was unsettling I recall (I was about 7 when I saw it). Grey ET face down in the creek gave my nightmares.


boy09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Eliminatus said:

Dunkirk

Though tbf, I may have been the one to hype myself up for it.

Ooo good one. I just completely forget that this movie exists. It looked great, i was just bored to tears watching it.

Quote:

One Battle After Another (could not get through the first 30 min)

A couple of people in this thread have said the same thing. How do you form an opinion about a 3 hour movie in only 30 minutes. I don't think i've turned a movie off after only 30 minutes. I do think it's a slightly overhyped movie, but its not THAT bad. I feel like some people went into it already thinking that they didn't want to like it...
JoCoAg09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Animal House.

I didn't see it until a couple of years ago and that's probably why it didn't connect.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.