Dungeon Crawler Carl

3,270 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by zip90
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has gotten picked up for a TV adaptation. Seth McFarlane and the writer behind Thor: Ragnarok are doing it.

https://deadline.com/2024/08/dungeon-crawler-carl-seth-macfarlane-universal-chris-yost-series-1236045866/

I just devoured all the books on Audiobook, it has one of the best productions I've seen in the format. Highly recommend for anyone looking for a new book/series.
It follows a man and his cat after an alien invasion. The aliens force all the surviving humans to play a live version of Dungeons and Dragons versus each other as an intergalactic reality tv show.
Prophet00
AG
I've read this series a few times and I just started the audiobook yesterday. I'm digging the narrator so far.
agdoc2001
AG
Sounds interesting. I've heard the book series is geared more adult, too much for a 12 year old boy?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
hunter2012
AG
Big fan of the book series, this could be a fun one if they embrace the bonkers crazy story. The audiobooks are hilarious! Great series if you've got audible credits to burn. It's basically both a fantasy and a scifi.

I know he's too old but Patrick Warburton in his prime is exactly who I picture as Carl. From the voice to the comedic timing I think would be perfect. I'll be curious to see who they select for Donut's Voice Actor (his pet cat gains sentience and can talk).
hunter2012
AG
agdoc2001 said:

Sounds interesting. I've heard the book series is geared more adult, too much for a 12 year old boy?
It's borderline, adults would probably appreciate the humor more, it has cussing, gore, and they talk casually about sex(though it's mostly for comedic dialogue) but beyond references there are no sex scenes.

Honestly if your kid has played any M rated video games like Grand Theft Auto it's no worse than that.

For this movie or series to be good thought it'll probably have to be R just for the cussing and the gore.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
agdoc2001 said:

Honestly it's about the level of maturity of Ted from McFarlane.

There is good synergy with him picking up the show imo.
Faustus
Definitely Not A Cop said:

agdoc2001 said:

Honestly it's about the level of maturity of Ted from McFarlane.

There is good synergy with him picking up the show imo.

I'd never heard of this. Thanks for the post DNAC.

I checked to see some reviews of the books and happened upon a free snippet of book one Agdoc so you can judge for yourself.

https://bookreadfree.com/99426/2468177.amp

(Snippet of the snippet)
Quote:

. . . I never got to know Yolanda Martinez as much as I would've liked to.

But I didn't have to know her very well to know who she was. I knew she was a quiet, sweet woman who'd been a nurse her entire life. She'd worked sixty hours a week for years to pay for her son to go to college. Her husband had owned a landscaping company. At only 4'11, the woman had a presence much bigger than her stature suggested. There was a warmth about her, something I'd never felt as a kid. Just being in her presence imparted a feeling of longing in me, something difficult to describe. Like I wished I could relive my childhood, but this time, I'd have her as my mother, and she would have never, ever left me.
. . .
She lived her entire life as a hero. She died as one, too.

One moment they were there, the next they were gone. Through the still developing cloud of confusing fog, the monster's claws ripped forward, cutting through the nurse and the elderly man as if they weren't even there. Yolanda's body disintegrated in a red cloud of ribbon-like flesh like she was a knitted sweater that had been unraveled all at once.

The monster didn't even break stride, it came for us despite the fog. It swung a mighty claw just as I smashed down on Protective Shell.
. . .
The round shield remained firmly in place, and I felt an odd pop in my ears as we left its area of effect. The spell was only going to last 20 seconds, and I'd already wasted five of them being dumbfounded.
. . .
I looked up at the screens.

Time to Recap Episode: 1 hour 40 minutes.

Time to Level Collapse: 4 days, 20 hours.

Remaining Crawlers: 1,033,992
. . .
Behind me, the door continued to smash and rock under the onslaught of the screaming rage elemental.

Views: 212 Billion

Followers: 4.4 Billion

Favorites: 793 Million

The recap episode started with a close-up shot of Jack's purple, veined, and uncircumcised ****, huge on the screen. The headline screamed, "Trapped! Meadow Lark and The Royal Court of Princess Donut in Peril!"

"Wow," Donut said. "Yours isn't nearly that big. Or oily looking. And it doesn't have that hat thing."

If looks could kill, the glare Imani shot at the cat would've ripped her in two.
. . .
The screen showed, in slow motion, Jack pulling it out, turning to the wall, and peeing. It switched to Yolanda's horrified face, then Donut leaping for him, claws out. It showed the arrow piercing him right in the temple, of the player-killer skull icon slowly starting to form over Yolanda's head, and then the man falling from the platform.
. . .
A "See what happens next!" appeared on the screen. Then the show started. As promised, it was a compilation of people getting surprised by bosses leaving their rooms. I noted two different scenes with Krakaren bosses. The shots kept coming and coming, of people getting slaughtered.
. . .

Looks fun. I could see it going either way for a 12 year old though depending on parenting style. I showed my kids Deadpool around that age, so I'd probably be fine with it.
Faustus
Also too funny as it turns out the apocalypse will be televised.
StinkyPinky
AG
Can't wait to read this. I know everyone is raving about the audio book narrator, but I'm a reader and not a listener. Need to get them read before this comes to fruition.
Average Joe
AG
You will not regret it.

The audio book is exceptional, so definitely suggest checking it out down the road.
zip90
AG
Love the series and highly recommend the audio version.
Jeff Hayes does an outstanding job of reading.

Can't wait for the show
Now if only Patrick Warburtin could play Carl…
StinkyPinky
AG
Average Joe said:

You will not regret it.

The audio book is exceptional, so definitely suggest checking it out down the road.
Yea, will try the audio on the second swim through. Especially since I typically not a fan of reading a book twice. But if that good with a narrator would be a great way to see what ai missed first time while on a road trip.
KidDoc
AG
Never heard of this but it sounds right down my lane, will check it out.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Average Joe
AG
They remind me a lot of the Borderlands games. Similar humor, similar world insanity, similar "wtf" moments.

They are such a fun ride.
Faustus
I'm more of a book in hand guy, but I bought the first six books on kindle for a relative pittance and am closing in on done with book 2. Pretty fun stuff if you have a history with RPG.
AgHawkeye
AG
agdoc2001 said:

My son is 13 and I would not let him listen to / read it. It's great but at times it's much more inappropriate than what I want for my kid and I have watched Tombstone and other rated R movies with him. IMO there are lots of other good options for a 13 year old and mine can wait a couple of years for this.
MW03
AG
zip90 said:

Love the series and highly recommend the audio version.
Jeff Hayes does an outstanding job of reading.

Can't wait for the show
Now if only Patrick Warburtin could play Carl…

Loved Warburton as Alpha Carl
13B
My next read after Red Sky Morning.
MW03
AG
13B said:

My next read after Red Sky Morning.
it's seriously the most fun I've personally had with a book series. Started it on a lark and haven't looked back.
MW03
AG
By the way, they rereleased the audio books as a full dramatic production.

https://soundbooththeater.com/shop/audiobooks/dungeon-crawler-carl-book-1-episode-1-thank-you-for-volunteering-immersion-tunnel/
ABATTBQ11
AG
Started listening to this on audible. Seems like a mix of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Ready Player One, and Hunger Games rolled into one. I'm in.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Average Joe said:

You will not regret it.

This. It's been awesome so far, and I'm on book 3. The conductor Easter egg was hilarious.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I think book 5 is my favorite. But I do like how it's kind of like The Dresden Files, where it builds up this incredible cast of supporting characters over time.
13B
Just started.
bangobango
AG
half way through book 2. Loving it. Found it b/c of this thread, so thanks OP!
StinkyPinky
AG
bangobango said:

Excellent! Discovered it here as well. Both it and Dresden Files were home run recommendations.
Rule Number 32
AG
I found a reading of it on YouTube for the first 3 books. I'm assuming this will get taken down eventually but I listened to like 3 hours today while doing mindless stuff at work.

So far it's hilarious. I like the Awaken Online LitRPG series but haven't listened to anything like this in quite a few years.
Rule Number 32
AG
StinkyPinky said:

bangobango said:

Excellent! Discovered it here as well. Both it and Dresden Files were home run recommendations.

Dresden is 100% my favorite book series. I've listened to all of them on audible. DCC seems to be the same type of humor.
Average Joe
AG
It just keeps getting better. There have been a few times I've had to pull over laughing so hard.
bangobango
AG
Rule Number 32 said:

I found a reading of it on YouTube for the first 3 books. I'm assuming this will get taken down eventually but I listened to like 3 hours today while doing mindless stuff at work.

So far it's hilarious. I like the Awaken Online LitRPG series but haven't listened to anything like this in quite a few years.

Come on man, don't be that guy. Just download it on audible so the author can make money for his work. They already get screwed enough by Audible as it is.
13B
My favorite part, and it never gets old, is when Carl and Donut have their internal text conversations and Donut speaks in all caps. I don't know why but I snicker every time.
bangobango
AG
13B said:

My favorite part, and it never gets old, is when Carl and Donut have their internal text conversations and Donut speaks in all caps. I don't know why but I snicker every time.

Me too.
zip90
AG
Carl's Catch phrase still cracks me up. (not including because spoilers)
hunter2012
AG
G D IT DONUT!!! I honestly think it's so great because we've all seen cats be a-holes so the imagery is not difficult.
13B
StinkyPinky said:

bangobango said:

Have you tried Monster Hunter International by Larry Correa? I enjoy them a great deal and they make me laugh out loud at times (especially the first 3 Memoirs). Columbus Day by Craig Alanson also can get a chuckle out of me.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.