L0ST

13,053 Views | 170 Replies | Last: 22 hrs ago by Aggie_Boomin 21
rednecked
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sea Speed said:

They all have redeeming qualities, I just don't find them particularly likeable in a lot of instances. Jack is a good character, but something about some of his actions rubs me the wrong way. Don't get me wrong, he probably adds the most value to the group, and I understand why he took the leader role and people turn to him, but I still find his arrogance in some situations off-putting. Typical surgeon, am I right.

Honestly I am glad my wife and I are going in to this completely blind because it makes it very enjoyable. We have been watching an episode per night and it is definitely a highlight of our evenings as we crush a pint of protein ice cream from our ninja creami, which is probably the best invention known to man.

I'm not trying to poo poo on people's beloved show, just posting my opinions of the characters. Honestly kind of surprised I enjoy it as much as I do.
what you are feeling about these characters is the genius of this show. they are all deeply flawed in different ways. watch and enjoy how the characters grow and change (maybe!) over time. that is exactly what this show is about. As entertaining as it is, all the mystery and craziness is just a vehicle for the above.
oragator
If I remember right, season 2 is kinda the set up season. It goes full Lost at the end of that season and through the next 3 or 4. So don't worry that it's slowing down.
The Porkchop Express
AG
We watched the first 2 Henry Gale episodes tonight after homework. Michael Emerson is something else. The directors/cinematographers of this show really know to shoot up close faces. The 2nd episode ends with the first of his many psych jobs on Locke. My kids have no idea how close we are to the fracturing of the survivors, and all the craziness that comes with it. I think this stretch of episodes might be my favorite.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Came up on my YouTube feed - cast pictures / ages in 2004 and in the last couple of years.

Shoutout to Claire for being a smokeshow at 22 and 40.

Horrified reactions from me:
1) That I'm 2 years younger than John Locke was in 2004.
2) That Walt is 30

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
oragator
I decided to do a rewatch. One of the few shorts that's worth it.
Only a couple of episodes in, but my memory is already faulty from my first watch. On Second look it was cool to see how they set things up in Ep 1, Kate rubbing her arms from the handcuffs, Charlie with the drug problem etc. but I thought they let some of those mysteries play out much longer, they were already revealed in Ep 2.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Kids and I watched what I consider the GOAT of the first 2 seasons - Lockdown - last night.

Off the island: John about to propose to Peggy Bundy, sees his father has died, goes to funeral, shady guys and mystery car there, dad has faked his owned death, gets John to retrieve $700K from bank vault for him on promise of $200K to John,, Seems to be legit but Helen follows and dumps him for good.

On the island, if you're a first-time watcher like my kids, they totally break down your immediate suspicion that Henry Gayl is an other.

1) Sayid / Ana Lucia / Charlie find the grave he described and the massive balloon as well.
2) The lockdown happens in the hatch, John lets Henry out to help, John gets leg caught in door, Henry helps him gets out, crawls through the vents, pushes the button, returns to help Locke, they play this very uplifting "bonding of brothers" music. If you are a Stranger Things fan it reminded me a ton of the Season 5 episode when 001 reveals himself to Eleven and uses his powers to kill the guards pursuing them. There's this big upswell of heroic music to fool you, and then 2 minutes later you realize he's a psycho.

When the lights go out in the hatch, the invisible handdrawn map of all the hatches appears. That was a huge online moment 20 years ago, with people with good TVs posting these high-res screenshots on the Lost message boards for eveyrone to decipher. One of my kids got up on the fireplace for a better look at it, it was very heartening to see her as enamored as I was 20 years ago.

Outside the hatch, you have Jack dismantle Sawyer at poker but the two take a tentative step towards the makings of the friendship.

The giant palate of food drops from the sky

Sayid drops his nutsack on "Henry Gayl" when he shows him the real Henry's driver's license to end the episode.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Stop, or you're going to make me start a whole rewatch as well!
Canyon Lake Agbu94
The Porkchop Express said:

Came up on my YouTube feed - cast pictures / ages in 2004 and in the last couple of years.

2) That Walt is 30

Alex was a smokeshow then. Even more so now.

Lost always had some talent.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Canyon Lake Agbu94 said:

The Porkchop Express said:

2) That Walt is 30

Alex was a smokeshow then. Even more so now.

Lost always had some talent.
Having Lost and Battlestar Galactica on for pretty much the same run was some quality TV ladies week by week.
redline248
AG
Damn, I forgot about Alex. She was so fine on the show
The Porkchop Express
AG
We watched Michael's betrayal last night. Ana Lucia at the very least joins the interesting subsection of the population who has sex (with Sawyer) on the same day she dies.

I have my kids no heads up of what was going to happen with Michael. They were both staggered, with the much more sympathetic one immediately saying, "But what about Hurley?" in reference to Libby's death. I asked a few questions to let them piece out Michael's motivations and why everyone simply believes Michael's story when he returns.

Also, I'd like to add "Getting caught in an Ewok net with circa 2005 Evangeline Lily" to my retroactive bucket list

I tried the Podcast "What Went Wrong" yesterday, as they had a 2 part episode about the making of Lost. I didn't find the hosts that compelling, but a really good, crazy story of how Lost got made is on there.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Kids and I binged the second to last episode and the 2 part season finale of Season 2 yesterday afternoon. Some highlights.

• One of them got her very deserved pat on on the back for guessing earlier in the year that not pushing the button is the reason the plane crashed.

• I was told I "was not very nice" for my critical analysis of why bringing Hurley on any sort of rescue/fight operation isn't the best idea.

Lost Season 2 has two of my favorite "in the moment" lines that amount to nothing.
  • Jack asking Ana Lucia how long it would take to train an army
  • Sayid saying he's going to light the black smoke and "this time it will be them knowing we are coming"
  • Both do not happen.

• I put off telling the kids that Desmond is one of my favorite characters to try to keep them spoiler free. Until you see him with Penny, he seems absolutely insane upon rewatching.

• The Henry Gayl episodes really make you believe it's just a matter of "who" not "if" is going to kill this guy. My kids both are totally creeped out by him now that he's been established as the leader of the Others.

• They both despised Michael for his treachery. But when he gets reunited with Walt during the flashback to his capture by the others, and you see how terrified Walt is and how gut-wrenching it is when they yank them apart, you could have heard a pin drop.

I think this is my favorite season. I remember going into the season finale for 3 thinking "if this doesn't really do something cool, I might be done." and then the flash forward happened. But I don't remember a ton about seasons 4 and 5 with all the new chracters, other than when Hurley tries to lie about being a time traveler.

Looking ahead to Season 3, while it takes a while to get there, does contain my 2 favorite Sawyer moments of the whole show.

1. When he kills Mr. Friendly in cold blood. They really set that up nicely in ways I don't remember during Season 2.
2. When he realizes Locke's father is the original Sawyer. My kids love Sawyer, because who wouldn't. Really looking forward to their reactions when they put 2 and 2 together.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Kids and I are about 6-7 episodes into Season 3. Just finished the drama of Jack holding the Others hostage by threatening to botch Ben's surgry so Sawyer/Kate can escape.

I totally blanked on Nathan Fillion being in an episode as Kate's ex-husband.
Having Mac from IASIP as Aldo the Other completely takes me out of the fact that I'm watching Lost. Even in a totally serious role, everything Rob does is funny.

Just met RIchard Alpert for the first time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's the "low" point of the entire show. About halfway through S3, they step on the gas and never let up.
20ag07
You had to be around for it at the time, but there was a 4 month break in S3 after episode 6.

And that's when they announced the the timeline of the endgame.
oragator
I am about 4 episodes into S2 on the rewatch, so almost 30 episodes, and my memory of a really slow burn is finally being justified.
They first mention the others around Ep 10 of season one, and we still haven't met them, outside of Ethan (We want Ben Linus!)The hatch went about 15 episodes from discovery to being opened. The tailies didn't even appear til season 2, Rose and Bernard still haven't been reunited, we still haven't gotten to Jack's divorce, among other things. And that's before all the insane new stuff and characters we will get in later seasons(we want Elizabeth Mitchell!)
The brilliance of the show is how slowly they ramp up the crazy plots. So that when something new comes to kick it up a notch it doesn't seem that outlandish because it's just one step further and they took time to normalize the last one. Just a patience you couldn't really have with a show today, it's like watching a bygone era.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I went ahead and told my kids about the Nikki/Paulo situation. The way they just randomly pop up and start being part of the crew is so terrible. It's like when John Schneider and Tom Wopat held out on Dukes of Hazzard and CBS just busted out Koy & Vance, the other cousins.
20ag07
Quote:

(We want Ben Linus!)

we want Elizabeth Mitchell!)

Casting Elizabeth Mitchell as Juliet and Michael Emerson as Ben were the best things this show ever did.
The Porkchop Express
AG
20ag07 said:

You had to be around for it at the time, but there was a 4 month break in S3 after episode 6.

And that's when they announced the the timeline of the endgame.
I watched it start to finish as it aired. Trying to explain to my kids about the wait between seasons and between strikes is definitely a one-way conversation.

The one thing the show did brillaintly, whether intentionally or not, is to have a premise and a setting where the Internet and cell phones are non-existent, thus making it a pretty timeless show. Although I did joke with my kids about what a pay phone was last night when Kate used one to call the Marshall.

Also kudos to the producers to get peak Evangeline Lily half nekkid twice in one episode, having love scenes with Nathan Fillion and then with Sawyer.
bangobango
AG
Loved this show and probably my favorite tv watching experience of all-time. Watched Battlestar Galatica around this time, too, and that was just some really great tv.

LOST and my experience discussing it on here and with friends is the #1 reason I am 100% convinced streaming services do such a disservice to their shows by releasing the entire season in one dump.
G.I.Bro
Currently toward the end of season 1 on my rewatch. Going kinda slowly now that it is football season
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I hate the fact that Amazon dumped three episodes of Rings of Power on its premiere night.

You can't tout your show as prestige tv and then treat it as a streaming show.

The best shows always (and still) air weekly.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Well, both my kids failed the same English test today and my wife declared "No TV this weekend." right when we're getting to the best start of Season 3.

Kids today are so selfish.
oragator
Just got to Henry Gale.
This is where the show truly starts for me. He is such a great character.
theeyetest
Made it two episodes and had to cut it off. Not even close to being in the same ballpark as GOT, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Sopranos, or The Wire.
FL_Ag1998
AG
theeyetest said:

Made it two episodes and had to cut it off. Not even close to being in the same ballpark as GOT, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Sopranos, or The Wire.

Well, disagree with you on the GOT comparison, at least the last 2-3 seasons of GOT. Sorry, but those seasons were absolute dogcrap and downright insulting to the viewers.

But really what people on this thread are saying is that 1) the viral watching experience, both online and in real life, when it was originally on hasn't been matched by anything else. And 2) because of the love we developed for the characters this show has become a favorite of ours.

I'll never claim the writing on Lost was on par with the shows you mentioned. But I do list it above them when asked to list my favorite shows.
The Milkman
AG
theeyetest said:

There's no way for you to make that judgement after watching two episodes
rhutton125
AG
Thank you for these recaps. I still haven't gone back… but this is convincing me that maybe I should try.
20ag07
Quote:

I still haven't gone back… but this is convincing me that maybe I should try.
We have to go back, Kate. WE HAVE TO GO BACK!
The Porkchop Express
AG
My girls and I watched the phenomenal "The Man from Tallahassee" episode tonight that moves the plot dramatically forward on several accounts and has Johns last flashback with his dad when his dad chunks him out the window.

The previous episode ends with Jack playing football with Mr. Friendly and this one starts with the same scene, leading me to a few rewatches and 2 conclusions.

1) There's no way in hell Mr. Friendly threw that first pass that Jack hauls in.
2) MC Gainey has the worst throwing motion for a football of any person alive.

Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Finished watching for the first time. Took probably 1.5 - 2 months to get through it all. First few seasons are amazing, last few I didn't find all the compelling, but man I thought the finale was incredible.

There are still a few story elements that leave me thinking they weren't planned that well, but really good show overall.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.