Ever a worst summer for film?

7,587 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
RAB87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cannot think of one. My local theater has a dozen screens. There has not been a damn thing worth watching all summer. Why does Hollywood suck so much?
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Even the trailers suck.
Cliff.Booth
Bikeriders was barely promoted and no one knew about it, but it was worth seeing. I haven't gotten to see Horizon yet but hear it's worth seeing. Beyond those I haven't cared to go out and see much.
Kraft Punk
Foreign films are the way to go these days

Hollywood has been dog**** since 2017 or so when those idiots all became woke nazis

Sad but it's reality
TCTTS
AG
So far...

- Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes was damn good.
- Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga was fun (if not a bit too long).
- Bad Boys: Ride or Die was dumb fun.
- A Quiet Place: Day One was incredibly solid.
- The Bikeriders is, IMO, the second-best movie of the year so far.

Not my cup of tea, but most people seemed to like...

- The Fall Guy
- Horizon: An American Saga - Part One

While we still have (in order of release date)...

- Fly Me to the Moon (getting decent to great reviews)
- Longlegs (currently at 94% on RT after 49 reviews)
- Sign Sing (has legit Oscar buzz)
- Twisters (great early reactions so far)
- Deadpool & Wolverine (will likely set box office records)
- The Instigators (looks fun)
- Trap (buzz is building/looks incredibly fun)
- Alien: Romulus (hell yeah)
- Horizon: An American Saga - Part Two

If you can't find at least a couple movies out of that list to enjoy, I don't know what to tell you. That said, due to the strikes, we knew this year/summer was going to be subpar, something I've tried explaining to the board as much as I can.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but 2025 and 2026 will absolutely be a return to form, in the best way. We just have to get through the rest of this admittedly down year.
TCTTS
AG
Kraft Punk said:

Hollywood has been dog**** since 2017 or so when those idiots all became woke nazis

Sad but it's reality

2019 is largely considered one of the best cinematic years in history, for both awards movies and blockbusters, but okay. Covid then hit two months later, followed by the double strikes last year, both of which have been a massive challenge to come back from. But sure, we'll go with "woke nazis," despite having personally seen some of the best blockbusters of my life over the past three years, in the form of...

- The Batman
- Dune: Part One
- Dune: Part Two
- Mission: Impossible: Dead Reckoning
- Oppenheimer
- Spider-Man: No Way Home
- Tenet
- Top Gun: Maverick

.. along with a ton of great dramas as well.

So sad, indeed!
FL_Ag1998
AG
RAB87 said:

Cannot think of one. My local theater has a dozen screens. There has not been a damn thing worth watching all summer. Why does Hollywood suck so much?

OP, I'm legit curious what movies, in your opinion, from the past would be worth watching if they were released this summer?
ElephantRider
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

RAB87 said:

OP, I'm legit curious what movies, in your opinion, from the past would be worth watching if they were released this summer?

None; just wanted to complain about Hollywood
AggieOO
Summer of 1526 was probably worse. Zero films released.
20ag07
Quote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but 2025 and 2026 will absolutely be a return to form, in the best way. We just have to get through the rest of this admittedly down year.
Isnt 2025 going to be pretty rough? We won't see the full impacts of coming out of the strikes by summer, at least on the big screen, right?

(The streamers will do better, bc they are more nimble).

But with the shuffling dates that's still happening, Summer 2025 is probably going to end up being rougher than 2024, right?
jokershady
AG
Look….i ain't exactly high on Hollywood….like….at all…..

But come on man there's been way worse years for summer than this….

1997 for example….

Had several good summer films like Men in Black, Air Force One, Face/Off, and Con Air…..

But also had:

Jurassic Park The Lost World
Batman and Robin
George of the Jungle
Contact (I like now as an adult)
Spawn
Speed 2 Cruise Control
Out to Sea
Goodburger
Gone Fishin'
Airbud

There's been way worse in the 90s…..
toucan82
how dare you besmirch the good name of Airbud
TCTTS
AG
20ag07 said:

Quote:

Isnt 2025 going to be pretty rough? We won't see the full impacts of coming out of the strikes by summer, at least on the big screen, right?

(The streamers will do better, bc they are more nimble).

But with the shuffling dates that's still happening, Summer 2025 is probably going to end up being rougher than 2024, right?

No, summer 2025 is already insanely packed, with massive blockbusters, probably more than any summer since 2019 (if not even further back), as is the rest of the year. And it's all currently filming or is already done filming. There will be zero strike impacts after this year, and all the strike shuffling is long since over. I don't know where you're getting that info.
hph6203
AG
Austin Powers
Underworld
Fifth Element
jokershady
AG
hph6203 said:

Austin Powers
Underworld
Fifth Element

I didn't list those…..they weren't considered "hits" but also weren't terrible either….

Obviously now fifth element and Austin powers are considered classics but they weren't mega hits like the top 4 films I mentioned….
hph6203
AG
And yet you listed Out to Sea and Gone Fishin' in the bad category.
TXAG 05
AG
TCTTS said:

Kraft Punk said:

Sad but it's reality

2019 is largely considered one of the best cinematic years in history, for both awards movies and blockbusters, but okay. Covid then hit two months later, followed by the double strikes last year, both of which have been a massive challenge to come back from. But sure, we'll go with "woke nazis," despite having personally seen some of the best blockbusters of my life over the past three years, in the form of...

- The Batman
- Oppenheimer
- Tenet

So sad, indeed!

Was the Avatar sequel actually good? Or was it just another showcase of special effects with a thin plot like the first?
TCTTS
AG
I thought it was incredible, but that's of course my opinion, as someone who also unabashedly loved the first one.
Bruce Almighty
AG
It's like some of y'all forgot about 2020.
Aggie Dad 26
RAB87 said:

Horizon: An American Saga - Part One

I would have walked out of the theater had I not been with my gf (she paid for our tickets)
turrible
double aught
AG
Summer 2010 was pretty bad. Inception and Toy Story 3 were the two gems and then not much else.

TCTTS
AG
Man, that was BLEAK. And might take the cake.
double aught
AG
Yep. I think that year was also effected by a strike.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, you're right. Forgot about that.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
jokershady said:

Look….i ain't exactly high on Hollywood….like….at all…..

But come on man there's been way worse years for summer than this….

1997 for example….

Had several good summer films like Men in Black, Air Force One, Face/Off, and Con Air…..

But also had:

Jurassic Park The Lost World
Batman and Robin
George of the Jungle
Contact (I like now as an adult)
Spawn
Speed 2 Cruise Control
Out to Sea
Goodburger
Gone Fishin'
Airbud

There's been way worse in the 90s…..

Airbud is a national treasure.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
I can't help but cackle every time I watch The Other Guys, that's on my Mount Rushmore of comedies.

The original Despicable Me, Iron Man 2, and the first Expendables were all pretty fun.

Your point still stands that was a lousy summer, but I have some fond memories of some of those movies.
jokershady
AG
Guess I was the perfectly wrong age for that movie….was 11 years old during the summer of '97 and my friends and I made fun of the trailers for that movie a ton…..

Course we saw Batman and Robin and were too dumb to realize how bad that was…..so…….jokes on us?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I am not wowed by the movies this year. I'm sure there are a lot of valid reasons for this - woke Nazis, strike, Covid, all of that.

Dune Part 2 and Horizon Chapter One had no woke crap and are my favorites thus far this year. I don't believe I've seen anything else new this year. Skipped the Planet of the Apes and Mad Max movies because they simply didn't interest me. Will probably watch them on digital at some point. The new Monsterverse Godzilla movie sucked donkey balls.

I will be seeing Deadpool and Wolverine, Horizon Chapter Two, and Alien: Romulus as far as summer movies go. The only other title that might draw me in is Twisters. I thought the original movie was fun but had a lot of stupid (running through a field with picket fence slats slicing through the air like knives then hanging on to a pipe in the ground with a freaking leather strap, uh, yeah), but Glenn Powell the sip has been in some movies recently that I've had varying degrees of enjoyment (Top Gun Maverick, Devotion, and Anyone But You), and he's not an annoying sip (thus far) like Matthew McConna... however you spell his name.

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice is on my list for early fall, but after that I have no idea what is slated for release.
wangus12
AG
AggieOO said:

Summer of 1526 was probably worse. Zero films released.
Damn guess the Italian Renaissance wasn't that great after all. Stupid Italians
wangus12
AG
double aught said:

Summer 2010 was pretty bad. Inception and Toy Story 3 were the two gems and then not much else.

Idk if its because I was in college and had $4 tickets at the BCS Cinemark, but I really liked a lot of those movies.

The Expendables and The A-Team were really fun, thoughtless action flicks. Salt was entertaining. Grown Ups was stupid but funny. I really liked Prince of Persia (although Jake Gyllenhaal trying to be a Persian was stupid, but Gemma Arterton was hot)
jokershady
AG
If Matthew McConnohay (crap I can't spell that from memory either) was an Aggie there'd be at least one active thread on this board about how cool he is…..

Honestly he seems like a good down to earth guy who just happens to be alumni from our rival school and he doesn't annoy me in the slightest….

Course the Aggie in me did get a good chuckle when this happened…..he didn't say "fudge"

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Yeah, he does come across as a good dude, but not when he's cheerleading for that baby puke orange crap.

I chuckled when I saw him in the WWII sub movie. His first scene looked like he had just stepped off the Quad with that close cropped haircut.
rhutton125
AG
Quote:

Glenn Powell the sip

Damn! Had no clue.

My wife and I argue about which of us has the bigger crush on Glenn Powell. I guess she can keep him now!
maroon barchetta
TXAG 05 said:

TCTTS said:

Kraft Punk said:

Sad but it's reality

- The Batman
- Oppenheimer
- Tenet

So sad, indeed!

Was the Avatar sequel actually good? Or was it just another showcase of special effects with a thin plot like the first?

It was mostly the special effects, which were great. The story was not good. But they did get to basically recreate the scene in the Titanic where Rose is making her way out of the ship as it fills with water. So there is that.

As good as the visuals were, the visuals in the first Avatar movie are the best I've seen in any 3D movie.
maroon barchetta
jokershady said:

If Matthew McConnohay (crap I can't spell that from memory either) was an Aggie there'd be at least one active thread on this board about how cool he is…..

Honestly he seems like a good down to earth guy who just happens to be alumni from our rival school and he doesn't annoy me in the slightest….

Course the Aggie in me did get a good chuckle when this happened…..he didn't say "fudge"

He's turned into a caricature of himself when doing interviews recently. It seems like he is trying to make his accent thicker than it used to be.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.