Ever a worst summer for film?

7,730 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

This weekend just became the eighth highest grossing weekend of all time in terms of total weekend box office.
Is that based on attendance or revenue?

If revenue, 2018's "Black Panther" ($202 million) would be like $252M inflation adjusted to have a constant dollar compare with today's box office dollars.
TCTTS
AG
Revenue.

But that's really beside the point. Rather, it's about what this weekend emphatically signifies - that this summer is far from a disaster, is outperforming all projections by a pretty significant margin, with hit after hit, surprise after surprise, likely featuring two billion-dollar earners, etc, with still a month to go and a strong ending to come.
20ag07
I didn't love the slate.

It's the number of movies that have over performed (relatively high) expectations- (Inside Out, Twisters, Deadpool, Longlegs) has continue to hit.

And the number of bombs has been so low. (I'd prob just put Fly Me to the Moon and that Kevin Costner western movie in that camp). And those were both kind of different things.

People ARE ready to go back to the theatre.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Inside Out 2 was great
Aggie Therapist
AG
Is Twisters worth the price of admission? Big fan of the original but I heard not to go in expecting the OG but embrace the new era.
fig96
AG
maroon barchetta said:

That 30 screen theater at 45 south and the beltway?
Spent many hours there in my 20s.
TCTTS
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

Is Twisters worth the price of admission? Big fan of the original but I heard not to go in expecting the OG but embrace the new era.

Both things are true. It's absolutely worth the price of admission - I loved it, personally - but yeah, go in expecting a whole new era. The new cast isn't as fun and charming as the original, but their story is more emotional for sure. It's a trade off.
Aggie Therapist
AG
TCTTS said:

Aggie Therapist said:

Both things are true. It's absolutely worth the price of admission - I loved it, personally - but yeah, go in expecting a whole new era. The new cast isn't as fun and charming as the original, but their story is more emotional for sure. It's a trade off.
Thanks man. Sounds like a nice day day idea at Alamo Drafthouse.

I'm going to rent on Prime this week for a refresher.
You’re not alone—the Veterans Crisis Line is here for you. You don’t have to be enrolled in VA benefits or health care to call.

Dial 988 Press 1
BassCowboy33
TXAG 05 said:

TCTTS said:

Kraft Punk said:

Foreign films are the way to go these days

Hollywood has been dog**** since 2017 or so when those idiots all became woke nazis

Sad but it's reality

2019 is largely considered one of the best cinematic years in history, for both awards movies and blockbusters, but okay. Covid then hit two months later, followed by the double strikes last year, both of which have been a massive challenge to come back from. But sure, we'll go with "woke nazis," despite having personally seen some of the best blockbusters of my life over the past three years, in the form of...

- The Batman
- Dune: Part One
- Dune: Part Two
- Mission: Impossible: Dead Reckoning
- Oppenheimer
- Spider-Man: No Way Home
- Tenet
- Top Gun: Maverick

.. along with a ton of great dramas as well.

So sad, indeed!

Was the Avatar sequel actually good? Or was it just another showcase of special effects with a thin plot like the first?

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. People rag on the "thin plot", but it's no less shallow than Twisters or Furiosa or Beekeeper. Sometimes, movies are supposed to be fun and not an introspection in the human condition.
LMCane

haven't seen a single movie at the theater in probably a year

but will watch these on streaming, along with Civil War and the Ungentlemanly whatever killing Nazis movie

The Fall Guy

Horizon: An American Saga - Part One

Fly Me to the Moon

Twisters

Horizon: An American Saga - Part Two

Deadpool & Wolverine
BassCowboy33
LMCane said:

haven't seen a single movie at the theater in probably a year

but will watch these on streaming, along with Civil War and the Ungentlemanly whatever killing Nazis movie

The Fall Guy

Horizon: An American Saga - Part One

Fly Me to the Moon

Twisters

Horizon: An American Saga - Part Two

Deadpool & Wolverine

Some of those were great theater. Lots of dumb fun.
YouBet
AG
Quality seems weak this summer but I've only seen the newest Godzilla / King Kong movie from the list above. I thought it was average and I love dumb crap like that.

Certainly want to see Deadpool and Wolverine and the Alien film though.

We watched Inception last weekend. Hadn't seen that since it came out; we've been on a rewatch of Nolan films lately. Damn that was an awesome film. Absurd it was only 4th in 2010.
Stat Monitor Repairman
The Instigators with Damon and Casey Affleck.

Gets a double fisted meh.

You'll get annoyed by this movie by the end of it, especially the asian shrink lady.

Script probably read good high on weed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.