*** JOKER: FOLIE A DEUX ***

25,079 Views | 298 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by The Porkchop Express
Aggie Therapist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At this point, I'll just let you guys walk through my psychiatric ward and interact with the patients.

This movie sounds rough
Aggie Dad 26
Aggie Therapist said:

At this point, I'll just let you guys walk through my psychiatric ward and interact with the patients.

This movie sounds rough

I feel like this has been a horrible year for the movie industry or at least the fans
Aggie Therapist
AG
I love taking my family to Alamo drafthouse but we have only seen Inside Out 2 this year. That was really good.

Pretty uneventful year
Aggie Dad 26
Aggie Therapist said:

I love taking my family to Alamo drafthouse but we have only seen Inside Out 2 this year. That was really good.

Pretty uneventful year

The only movies I've seen that I enjoyed this year

Beetlejuice
Longlegs

Alamo Draft house FTW tho
DannyDuberstein
AG
Deadpool was good. Am I a Racist was solid even though critics are pretending it doesn't exist. But mostly a lot of poopoo this year that wishes it could pretend it doesn't exist
C@LAg
DannyDuberstein said:

Deadpool was good. Am I a Racist was solid even though critics are pretending it doesn't exist. But mostly a lot of poopoo this year that wishes it could pretend it doesn't exist
Inside Out 2 was great
Deadpool/Wolverine was good
Dune was good
Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes was good
Monkey Man was fun

TCTTS
AG
- Alien: Romulus
- The Bikeriders
- Civil War
- Deadpool & Wolverine
- Dune: Part Two
- Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga
- Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes
- A Quiet Place: Day One
- Rebel Ridge
- Twisters

… are all varying degrees of good to great. Some of y'all simply should have given them a shot in theaters (save for Rebel Ridge, which was Netflix only, but my second favorite movie of the year so far behind Dune). While the next three months have a ton of potential too, mostly in terms awards fare, but with a big blockbuster or two sprinkled in as well.
TCTTS
AG
Cliff.Booth
They already knew.
Sapper Redux
Aggie Therapist said:

Pretty uneventful year

If you have kids then both The Wild Robot and Transformers One are outstanding.
rhutton125
AG
Why'd they release reviews a month early? That seems like something you do when you're confident, otherwise you withhold that stuff and let marketing do the real work.
Aggie Dad 26
Sapper Redux said:

Aggie Therapist said:

Pretty uneventful year

We are going to see Transformers instead of Joker
jokershady
AG
Aggie Dad 26 said:

Sapper Redux said:

Aggie Therapist said:

Pretty uneventful year

We are going to see Transformers instead of Joker
you'll love it!
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

- Alien: Romulus
- The Bikeriders
- Civil War
- Deadpool & Wolverine
- Dune: Part Two
- Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga
- Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes
- A Quiet Place: Day One
- Rebel Ridge
- Twisters

… are all varying degrees of good to great. Some of y'all simply should have given them a shot in theaters (save for Rebel Ridge, which was Netflix only, but my second favorite movie of the year so far behind Dune). While the next three months have a ton of potential too, mostly in terms awards fare, but with a big blockbuster or two sprinkled in as well.

For my family:

- IF
- Deadpool & Wolverine
- Inside Out 2
- Despicable Me 4
- Transformers One
- Ghostbusters Frozen Empire

D&W, Inside Out 2, and Transformers One were all great!

Despicable Me 4, Ghostbusters, and IF were mediocre at best.
Madmarttigan
AG
Read a very brief plot summary of this with spoilers, holy crap
Formerly tv1113
DannyDuberstein
AG
Kind of mind-blowing to have a villain all set up to go any number of directions, and basically blow it with a musical that relives the first movie. Wtf
jokershady
AG
Madmarttigan said:

Read a very brief plot summary of this with spoilers, holy crap
what are the implying at the end? That this joker created the "heath ledger" joker? Cause that doesn't work with "the dark knight" story at all…

But yeah I read the whole plot summary cause I knew I wouldn't see it and on paper it doesn't sound bad at all….so the way this was presented on film must've really sucked….
C@LAg
I like the explanation below to justify why and how this movie was made. Not saying it is accurate, but it does seem... reasonable. And it is as good an explanation for the intentional sabotaging of this movie as any.

The first movie was supposed to be a morality argument against those the writers simply disagreed with.

The idea was that Authur was not a "good" man by their standards, he was broken from the beginning, and all the things that happened to him on the way was his punishment. When its finally revealed that he had snapped long ago, the audience was supposed to be appalled and shun him completely. Again, hes a "bad" man, who did "bad" things. Thus he got what was coming to him...

What was not supposed to happen was a rejection of the idea that the problem was Authur. What was not supposed to happen was the audience agreeing with Authur on principle if not in his action. The audience separated the who, what, and why of the movie and absolutely understood how such consistent and actually systemic oppression could drive a person living at their breaking point over the edge. The audience found Authors existence relatable and his subsequent reaction cathartic.

The audience were not repelled when he blew away the bullies on the subway. The audience did not recoil at his fantasy of a relationship with the neighbor lady. When Authur is finally aware that his world was laughing at him, not with him, and he embraces the roll of the clown the audience completely understood that that could have been any of them at any time. It would only take one bad enough day and their entire world would collapse around them, and the response of this society would be to laugh at them. That the moral of the movie would be that they deserved it, and it would be a joke to everyone else.

We were not supposed to be able to identify with Authur, much less agree with him in premise if not action. There werent supposed to be memes, there werent supposed to be actual jokes. To borrow a line, the audience saw what made "society" laugh so they stopped caring about their boos. This movie was supposed to make everyone fearful of monsters hiding amongst them, we werent supposed to cheer for the monster. Authur was supposed to be shunned not embraced.

But we did.

And that was a problem.

The powers that be cannot have the plebs looking at their sermons, agreeing with the devil, and using their own messaging against them.

So they had to fix it. Try again. Rewrite everything to make sure the audience doesn't "misunderstand" that this is a bad person, and they should feel bad siding with them in any way shape or form. That this is what will happen to them if they don't fall in line and accept the suffering they have designed into the world and do so in silence.

But no one asked for this movie, and everyone is far FAR more informed as to how the narrative machine functions.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Sapper Redux
Why is everything a conspiracy theory? I do wonder if Phillips was a bit upset by the glorification of his Joker and this may be his "**** you" to the fans of Joker, but that's different than claiming a cabal of "elites" is doing this for nefarious social engineering purposes.
C@LAg
Sapper Redux said:

Why is everything a conspiracy theory? I do wonder if Phillips was a bit upset by the glorification of his Joker and this may be his "**** you" to the fans of Joker, but that's different than claiming a cabal of "elites" is doing this for nefarious social engineering purposes.
I said it was reasonable, not that it was accurate.

It was not a "conspiracy" post of any sort, it was a thought exercise by the online poster on how a movie like this could be made as a follow on to an acclaimed prior film, when this should have been a slam dunk film even with minimal effort.

For my part, I can 100% see Todd Philips not liking how the character was embraced and wanting to go another way and make a movie that literally ****s all over the character up to the very end.

Which he did.

I am just surprised WB let him do it.
Sea Speed
AG
Random Twitter user spoiled it and holy **** how effing stupid is this movie.
C@LAg
Sea Speed said:

Random Twitter user spoiled it and holy **** how effing stupid is this movie.
yeah, I read the wikipedia summary earlier today and was just... WHY?
double aught
AG
I don't think anyone here would care if the movie gets spoiled.
Madmarttigan
AG
I mean I guess this movie kinda technically fixes my complaint that he was never joker just a dude with mental illness with his face painted like the joker.
Formerly tv1113
Sea Speed
AG
double aught said:

I don't think anyone here would care if the movie gets spoiled.

what I read is that he gets gang raped in jail and killed.

Absolutely effing stupid.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
First part is not true.
Sea Speed
AG
I just watched the scene. Hard to gather anything else ashe is being dragged back to his cell in his underwear and lays on the floor catatonic.
k20dub
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

First part is not true.

I read an article that said that was what was implied. But yeah they don't actually show it.
Sea Speed
AG
Here is a link to the scene on Twitter. Decide for yourself.

Well I guess Twitter links don't work in spoiler tags

And now the desktop site won't save my hyperlink
Sea Speed
AG
Scene
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Truth be told I completely forgot about that scene. It's earlier in the movie, but you're right.
Cliff.Booth
C@LAg said:

Sapper Redux said:

I said it was reasonable, not that it was accurate.

It was not a "conspiracy" post of any sort, it was a thought exercise by the online poster on how a movie like this could be made as a follow on to an acclaimed prior film, when this should have been a slam dunk film even with minimal effort.

For my part, I can 100% see Todd Philips not liking how the character was embraced and wanting to go another way and make a movie that literally ****s all over the character up to the very end.

Which he did.

I am just surprised WB let him do it.

On page juan I equated fans' reactions to this movie to people who read Catcher in the Rye and walk away admiring Holden as a cool, aloof antihero and not just a smug ******. Same here. Are we surprised that generations now thoroughly inundated with moral relativism, live your truth, nihilism failed to realize that the ****ing Joker is a villain? Asking 100 random 20 year olds today who America's current heroes and villains are would drive home the point.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Joker made $39M on its opening Friday.

This is limping its way to breaking $40M in its opening weekend.

Good lord, what a flop.
Oyster DuPree
AG
Underperforming waste of cash, call it Jimbo: Folie a Deux

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.