*** JOKER: FOLIE A DEUX ***

24,994 Views | 298 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Apparently may not even reach $40M.
rhutton125
AG
I saw online that it is now the worst-rated (by CinemaScore) comic book movie. Took that title from Fan4stic.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I enjoy his acting, but Phoenix is an odd duck that has made a lot of spare movies, especially the last 10 years. Part of it is likely due to being the type willing to take a risk. They aren't necessarily his fault (at least not all), but for me, he's becoming the odd combo of a guy whose movies I pay attention to when one is coming out while also kind of expecting it to suck

Especially these last few. Following Napoleon with this? Yikes
LuoJi
First movie sucked ass. Not surprised this one does too
YouBet
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

C@LAg said:

Sapper Redux said:

Why is everything a conspiracy theory? I do wonder if Phillips was a bit upset by the glorification of his Joker and this may be his "**** you" to the fans of Joker, but that's different than claiming a cabal of "elites" is doing this for nefarious social engineering purposes.
I said it was reasonable, not that it was accurate.

It was not a "conspiracy" post of any sort, it was a thought exercise by the online poster on how a movie like this could be made as a follow on to an acclaimed prior film, when this should have been a slam dunk film even with minimal effort.

For my part, I can 100% see Todd Philips not liking how the character was embraced and wanting to go another way and make a movie that literally ****s all over the character up to the very end.

Which he did.

I am just surprised WB let him do it.

On page juan I equated fans' reactions to this movie to people who read Catcher in the Rye and walk away admiring Holden as a cool, aloof antihero and not just a smug ******. Same here. Are we surprised that generations now thoroughly inundated with moral relativism, live your truth, nihilism failed to realize that the ****ing Joker is a villain? Asking 100 random 20 year olds today who America's current heroes and villains are would drive home the point.

Holden is one of the worst characters I've ever come across and couldn't even finish the book because of it. That books sucks total ass.

I also didn't come away admiring or glorifying the Joker in the first film. I was captivated by it and thought it was hard watch that I would never watch again because of that. It was a bit too much for me.

And it looks like we won't be seeing this sequel. It sounds terrible.
Aggie Dad 26
Here I was thinking the new Joker movie was a homerun pick. Zero chance it would be bad. HAD to be great.

Then the box office flop and reviews starting pouring in. Can we please get to 2025 already?
Cliff.Booth
The Porkchop Express
AG
I've figured it out.

Todd Phillips made a $500 million prop bet that he could make a worse movie than Hangover 3.

YouBet
AG
Quote:

"The movie didn't land with audiences the way we wanted it to," said Jeff Goldstein, Warner Bros.'s president of domestic distribution.

Also, this is being called a musical even though they tried to downplay that in marketing. Did we know it was going to be a musical all along?
Aggie Dad 26
I didn't
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, when Lady Gaga was announced as officially joining the cast, the musical aspect was announced as well...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/joker-2-lady-gaga-joaquin-phoenix-todd-phillips-in-musical-1235154135/

That said, writer/director Todd Phillips refuses to call it a "musical," while Warner Bros purposely buried the musical aspect in most of the marketing, seeing as musicals apparently don't test well in terms of audience anticipation. As for why the powers-that-be decided to make/greenlight a musical in the first place, but then not embrace the musical aspect in any way, that's beyond me.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Man if that's the case…..yikes.

Sounds like a **** sandwich.

How does this happen? Don't actors and actresses care about the quality of the movie? The main actors are loaded already. Did they sign contracts before it turned into a cluster?
TCTTS
AG
The brief clip below can be interpreted a couple of ways, but the main one going around is that Phoenix/Gaga aren't fans of the final product either.

That said, I don't think it's a matter of anyone involved not caring enough, rather the movie never should have been a musical to begin with, as its basic conceit is f-ed at its core. I think everyone simply just got high on their own supply…

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Reminds me of this:
Aggie Therapist
AG
That really sucks.

I think I have been licking forward to this movie for over a year now……it had the potential to be pretty great.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, same energy for sure.
Aggie Dad 26
Aggie Therapist said:

That really sucks.

I think I have been licking forward to this movie for over a year now……it had the potential to be pretty great.

Sick f
The Porkchop Express
AG
TC, I need your younger mind to help me remember but it feels like they announced Gaga right when something had blown up in DR'S face - maybe the beef with cavil about superman? I remember us talking about it had the same vibes of Clinton announcing there was life on Mars right around one of his numerous scandals in the 90s.
TCTTS
AG
First, who is DR? I'm racking my brain and can't figure it out.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm guessing he meant DC.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Aggie Dad 26 said:

Aggie Therapist said:

That really sucks.

Sick f

TCTTS
AG
Ah, yeah, DC makes sense. I was thinking it was an actor's or director's initials. In that case, I'm not 100% sure. Gaga/Folie a Deux were both announced in June 2022, and Black Adam didn't release until October of that year, so it wasn't that/Cavill. Maybe it was all the Ezra Miller stuff? The Flash didn't come out until June 2023, but if I remember correctly it got significantly delayed, partly because of the Miller drama?
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I think that was it, seeing as the Miller stuff was going down earlier that month/the exact same week…

https://www.vulture.com/article/ezra-miller-grooming-allegations-career-timeline.html
The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, I think that was it, seeing as the Miller stuff was going down earlier that month and then also that exact same week…

https://www.vulture.com/article/ezra-miller-grooming-allegations-career-timeline.html
Yes DC, sorry. And Ezra miller makes a lot more sense.
k20dub
AG
Problem is, even if it wasn't a musical, the plot sucked. The musical added to the **** show.
TCTTS
AG
This is all of course pure rumor, and I don't know if I buy the Phoenix side of the dub in the video below (while the Gaga side admittedly seems more credible), but this does at least fit the narrative...

Quote:

I remember someone in Venice Film Festival Premiere said that Joaquin & Todd Phillips got up in the middle of the movie (Gaga stayed with her fiance) & they only came back for the ending standing ovation. Also there's a clip of Joaquin (this is speculation) but apparently reading their lips it looks like he told Gaga the film was **** or something cuz she was like "No it's not, why?" & he was moving his head "yes" & with the streets saying the #JokerFolieADeux movie was supposed to end differently, go in a different direction, but it was severely changed in post-production... so now putting all the pieces together, I can't stop thinking that the reason why Joaquin pulled Todd out of the Premiere screening was probably to argue with him & complain to him about the final cut of the movie. I think he wasn't happy at all with the changes.

And ofc I can tell Gaga wasn't either, because she went on to do her own Harlequin album because she was left so dissatisfied with her participation in the film (and with the Soundtrack featuring Lee's awful on purpose vocals), she felt like there was still more that she wanted to do with 'Lee', more that she needed to say with her, she did it through her music on this album... and then to end it all that interview of Gaga & Joaquin looking at each other in silence when asked if the movie met all they expectations.... then Gaga laughs & says "tell 'em how you feel Joaquin!"

TCTTS
AG
Gaga super-fans are so weird...

Faustus
The super-fans category comes with an expectation of a certain level of dignity.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just short of $38M opening weekend. Oof.
TCTTS
AG
One of the most unhinged things I've seen, especially the second half or so. How do people end up like this?

C@LAg
TCTTS said:

Gaga super-fans are so weird...

Swifties would like to have a word with you.

and bonus if you have not seen it:

Jugstore Cowboy
AG
i'll never understand driver seat video guys.

All I can figure is that they're people who got sober and can't go find a captive audience at the neighborhood dive bar anymore.
wangus12
AG
TCTTS said:

One of the most unhinged things I've seen, especially the second half or so. How do people end up like this?

So you've been feeling like **** about life and depressed so you decided to go see the follow up to one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen. I've always found it weird that there is this subsection of fans that absolutely worship the Joker. The character is supposed to be the absolute worst of what people can do, but people love the character.
The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

Not to be that guy, but a lot of people struggle with a lot of stuff and don't have a healthy outlet. Better than this guy is ranting on Twitter than the many, many alternatives we all see on the news daily.

We all hear a zillion stories from people about how a song, a movie, a tV show, saved their life or made them want to do better. This is other side of that.
YouBet
AG
I'm not feeling good about my life....so I'm going to go watch a movie about a murderous, nihilistic anarchist to "escape".

Seems like a bad choice.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.