***Horizon - An American Saga***

15,451 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Aggie Dad 26
Gigem314
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I went in with low expectations and enjoyed it.

The pacing is all over the place with the switching back and forth of so many storylines. I can see why that turned people off. But I don't understand the criticism of it being too 'slow' - I thought there were plenty of action scenes to break up the 'character building' scenes. It didn't feel like a 3-hour movie to me. I thought it went by pretty quick.

What I think this film will also suffer from is people wanting a straight, Hollywood, storyline. Tombstone is one of the most beloved westerns because it has a straight storyline, with memorable scenes and catchy lines, enough humor, and doesn't go very deep. It's the quintessential popcorn Western. Simple, focused, arc.

Costner's Wyatt Earp was darker, went deeper into his life and character development, and had less memorable lines and scenes. It was a completely different feel than Tombstone - and Dances With Wolves for that matter. More raw, less of a straight arc, and doesn't draw you in as much.

Horizon to me feels a lot like Masters of The Air - a VERY WIDE arc with multiple storylines that is more difficult to lay out for a casual audience compared to a single, simple, focused, arc - and suffers from comparisons to previous versions with a more beloved storyline.

To me it's a wider-focused version of 1883. I really enjoyed 1883, and I think the same raw quality is there in Horizon. It's a darker story - which I think is a more accurate telling of what these people went through. It doesn't make for a 'fun ride' summer flick. But it's a LOT to unpack. Whereas 1883 was a more focused storyline spread out over multiple episodes.

I understand Costner wanting this in the theater. But I do think it would have been better to unpack as a mini-series with so many character arcs to unpack.

I really like the cast. Sienna Miller is fantastic. I also feel like Costner went out of his way to show both sides of the settler/native conflicts - where there are good/bad motives on both sides. It feels more true to real life, and complicated. He did this in Dances With Wolves as well, and I see shades of that here. It's just a much bigger scope of a storyline. And again, I think the reality of what these people went through is much closer to something like Horizon or 1883 compared to other past western films.

I will definitely be seeing the next one when it releases in the theater.
Aggie Dad 26
This movie made less than 23.5 million WORLD WIDE in week one.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
So? That does not speak to the movie's quality any more than those that make buckets of money, i.e. The Last Jedi/The Rise of Skywalker.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
Anyone else see the news that Part 2 is being pushed back in order to give people more time to see Part 1 on their TVs to build interest?
TCTTS
AG
Whoa...

TCTTS
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

So? That does not speak to the movie's quality any more than those that make buckets of money, i.e. The Last Jedi/The Rise of Skywalker.

The above is why that number matters. Aggie Dad 26 didn't say anything about the movie's quality. When a movie bombs this bad, though, in this scenario, the already shot and completed sequel getting taken off the calendar is the result.
Gomer95
AG
UGH NO. I get it and understand why but I hate that especially because now I'll have to wait longer to see Part 2.
I hate rude behavior in a man. Won't tolerate it. - Woodrow F. Call
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

After numerous discussions, Costner's Territory Pictures and distribution partner New Line Cinema made the decision to switch up their ambitious release plan in hopes of allowing more time to grow the audience for the first film, which sports a $100 million price tag.

As part of that attempt, Chapter 1 will debut in the home on Premium VOD July 16 in addition to still being available to watch in theaters (the film could do notable business on PVOD).
TCTTS
AG
Seeing a lot of speculation that Part 2 never even hits theaters, and instead eventually goes straight to digital/VOD.

At this point, Costner should just sell the whole damn thing - all four parts - to a steamer and release it is a giant mini series, because this is insane...

Gigem314
AG
TCTTS said:

Seeing a lot of speculation that Part 2 never even hits theaters, and instead eventually goes straight to digital/VOD.

At this point, Costner should just sell the whole damn thing - all four parts - to a steamer and release it is a giant mini series, because this is insane...

I think it's a better story and quality than it's getting credit for...but it absolutely should have been a mini series like 1883, 1923, or Hatfields & McCoys.

Too many storylines to pack into a movie for a theater audience that wants something simple and action-packed.

Really needed to be dissected and built up more slowly. Part 1 and Part 2 as season 1 and Part 3 and Part 4 as season 2.

Imagine Taylor Sheridan and Ben Richardson trying to pack season 1 of 1923 into two 3-hour movies. That wouldn't have been nearly as effective with the various character storylines (Cara/Jacob, Spencer/Alexandra, Rainwater, and Timothy Dalton's character)

Costner is a talented director and I don't question his efforts to tell as authentic of a story as possible about the real West. But this feels like his ego got in the way on HOW to tell that story, and perhaps no one was truly willing to question the icon on it.
toucan82
This is kind of a bummer. I haven't seen it (I'm not much of a Western guy), but I generally like going to movie theaters and appreciated that he made something for theaters
Aggie Dad 26
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/kevin-costner-horizon-2-removed-from-theatrical-calendar-1235937513/amp/

Ok, whatever you say
Seven Costanza
AG
I haven't seen it, but I wonder if it would be difficult or impossible to radically recut it (maybe with previously cut scenes) into a series that isn't just the movies broken into three or four parts each.
BadMoonRisin
AG
well, that's not good.
LB12Diamond
AG
Blanco Jimenez said:

Anyone else see the news that Part 2 is being pushed back in order to give people more time to see Part 1 on their TVs to build interest?

Good luck with that one. Watching the first made me decide that if I watch the next one it will be on TV. And that's a big if.
torrid
AG
Maybe he makes a deal to get it all streamed on Paramount+ in exchange for appearing in the last couple of episodes of "Yellowstone".
Quad Dog
AG
How long before Costner starts blaming the audience and TikTok before taking any blame on himself.
45-70Ag
AG
Went and saw it and we enjoyed it. There are multiple storylines going on but didn't think it was overwhelming or difficult to keep up with. It did feel like a movie that doesn't get made much anymore, if that makes sense.

Looking forward to part two whenever that comes out now.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
It seems to me that Sheridan and Costner both are sacrificing quality of output for volume of output.
joerobert_pete06
AG
Just watched it and I thought it sucked. The movie starts with two storylines between Montana and Wyoming and then they just keeping branching after that. Then they add couple more storylines, like the Owen wagon caravan, but you never get closer with any of them. Then the last 15mins of the movie, the timeline speeds up and shows a fast progression through each story but as 1-scene cuts…. Very weird and felt like a long trailer like they are prepping you for chapter 2 movie.

Total waste imo
Sex Panther
AG
Saw it tonight and I enjoyed it. Like most, I agree it probably should have been a miniseries, but I appreciated him wanting to make a movie and enjoyed the theater experience of it.

The last 5 minute montage was kind of weird. Basically a movie version of "This season on... HORIZON"

Will be interesting to see what happens with the next chapters. Hope I can see them in theaters.
Aggie Dad 26
Sex Panther said:

Saw it tonight and I enjoyed it. Like most, I agree it probably should have been a miniseries, but I appreciated him wanting to make a movie and enjoyed the theater experience of it.

The last 5 minute montage was kind of weird. Basically a movie version of "This season on... HORIZON"

Will be interesting to see what happens with the next chapters. Hope I can see them in theaters.

Netflix

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.