***Horizon - An American Saga***

4,899 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by LMCane
Murder Hornet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New Costner western. Looks really good

TCTTS
AG
I mentioned as much in the trailer thread, but this feels like a long lost '90s epic, in the best possible way, that we're somehow seeing for the first time. I've never been a big western guy, but am suddenly champing at the bit for both chapters this summer.

Man, what a trailer.
Average Joe
AG
Holy hell, I'll watch that just for the scenery. Those shots are amazing!
Belton Ag
AG
Average Joe said:

Holy hell, I'll watch that just for the scenery. Those shots are amazing!
I saw Dances with Wolves in the theater and was blown away by the scenery. I had to go see it for myself, it took a few years but I finally went to South Dakota and Badlands NP and fell in love with the place.

Costner knows how to shoot beautiful movies.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Evidently this will be the first of 4 movies.

I really dug it, the scenery, the costumes, the music. Im definitely in.

The second movie is in Post and will be released 2 months after chapter 1.

Costner has been working on getting this made since 1988.
Murder Hornet
AG
Yep. This is peak Dances With Wolves Costner. The last good western on film was Open Range. Really excited for this one
Murder Hornet
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Was not aware of that. I was only tracking two movies. This makes sense for his lack of commitment to Yellowstone
BadMoonRisin
AG
Did anyone else laugh when the saloon girl said "I just wanna have a drink with someone that knows how to act" and Costner does the goofiest little nod.
EclipseAg
AG
Looking forward to these. The trailer is fantastic.
Gomer95
AG
Awesome. Has a very "How the West was Won" feel to it which I think is the first movie Kevin Costner ever saw and the experience made a huge impact on him. Can't wait to see it.
I hate rude behavior in a man. Won't tolerate it. - Woodrow F. Call
TCTTS
AG
Murder Hornet said:

BadMoonRisin said:

Was not aware of that. I was only tracking two movies. This makes sense for his lack of commitment to Yellowstone

Parts three and four only get made if parts one and two are successful. These first two are going to have to be a big success at the box office, in the middle of a crowded summer, which is obviously no small feat. Hopefully they're good enough and stand out enough.
Murder Hornet
AG
Do you think it's an advantage or hindrance that they are releasing within two months of each other?

Selfishly, I'd watch all four this summer if I could
TCTTS
AG
It's a huge gamble. Hollywood stopped releasing movies like this because it doesn't work out that often and can of over-saturate the market. Especially if the first movie is a dud, they're left with a whole other movie they have to release two months later, with way less buzz.

That said, if the first movie is a hit, it's definitely an advantage, and they can ride that momentum, with chapter two then having the rest of August/September - a pretty dead zone traditionally - to make $$$.
PatAg
AG
That is a LOT of good actors on the IMDB list
YouBet
AG
Can't wait for this. Been a long time since we had a good western and this is Costner's wheelhouse.
Falcon74
AG
Out freaking standing!
El Gallo Blanco
Murder Hornet said:

Yep. This is peak Dances With Wolves Costner. The last good western on film was Open Range. Really excited for this one
This is one of the best ever imo. Yeah, it's not jam packed with action, so i remember a lot of my friends finding it boring, but my dad and I have always loved that one.

I would argue that 3:10 to Yuma was one of the last good westerns though, although remake and not original.
Gigem314
AG
Murder Hornet said:

New Costner western. Looks really good

This looks incredible. I'M IN.
wangus12
AG
I wonder how much the Yellowstone fandom will help run this through in the box office.
El Gallo Blanco
This looks awesome. OF COURSE Kevin Coster makes himself look 25 years younger and casts a hottie who is 30-something years younger than him as his wife. Wouldn't we all?
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Unpopular opinion disclaimer:

I can't hardly watch anything with Kevin Costner lately. He's clearly his own biggest fan, thinks he's the next coming of John Wayne, and just completely exudes as much in every role. Maybe if he wrote something for himself in which he's a despicable, hated, creep, and then actually pulled it off, MAYBE I could see him in some other way. But the odds are incredibly remote, based on everything he's done the last 20(?) years.
Mike Elko
AG
Well, there'll be some familiar faces from Yellowstone:

- John Dutton (Costner, obviously)
- Dan Jenkins (Danny Huston)
- Garrett Randall (Will Paxton)
- Potentially others?

*Also, not to be confused with Wu-Tang: An American Saga...

Protect Ya Neck!
Murder Hornet
AG
3:10 was good. I remember watching Open Range in the theater and the sound of the guns was so realistic compared to other movies.

You pair up Costner and Duvall in a western and I'm sold everyday and twice on Sunday
RED AG 98
AG
Maybe Costner was as dissatisfied with the Yellowstone writing as the rest of us. Either way, looks to be a major win for us.
CoolaidWade
AG
In!
El Gallo Blanco
Sooper Jeenyus said:

I can't hardly watch anything with Kevin Costner lately. He's clearly his own biggest fan, thinks he's the next coming of John Wayne, and just completely exudes as much in every role. Maybe if he wrote something for himself in which he's a despicable, hated, creep, and then actually pulled it off, MAYBE I could see him in some other way. But the odds are incredibly remote, based on everything he's done the last 20(?) years.

Ha I get this to some degree. He did it somewhat in "Open Range" but Robert Duvall was the real bad@zz in that one. I can look past it pretty much, but I agree.
El Gallo Blanco
Murder Hornet said:

3:10 was good. I remember watching Open Range in the theater and the sound of the guns was so realistic compared to other movies.

You pair up Costner and Duvall in a western and I'm sold everyday and twice on Sunday

One of the best all time movie shootouts imo. Better than Heat to me.
Mike Hancho
Time to go play Red Dead Redemption
AgLA06
AG
Gomer95 said:

Awesome. Has a very "How the West was Won" feel to it which I think is the first movie Kevin Costner ever saw and the experience made a huge impact on him. Can't wait to see it.
I instantly thought of it as his Lonesome Dove.
Gomer95
AG
For sure.
I hate rude behavior in a man. Won't tolerate it. - Woodrow F. Call
javajaws
AG
Needs more Tatonka!

j/k

This looks incredible. A lot of westerns end up being hollow facades or parodies of life back then. This looks real, authentic and something I think most people can connect with - a desire for a better life - in this case by getting out of dodge (no pun intended) and heading west.
Falcon74
AG
I don't think the book is directly connected to Costner's story he is portraying but highly recommend reading Empire of the Summer Moon. I have heard that Taylor Sheridan, influenced heavily by Lonesome Dove early in his life, is developing a series for the book. I often wonder if he could pull off the unthinkable and put Blood Meridian on film. I should digress here but this is exciting stuff coming our way.
Scotts Tot
AG
Sooper Jeenyus said:

If so that's a pretty low bar. John Wayne was not that great of an actor. It feels more to me that Costner is trying to fashion himself as the western version of what Tom Cruise has done with the action genre.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
I know someone who's seen Chapter One and they only had good things to say. They weren't raving about it or anything, but said it's super solid.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.