Jon Stewart Proving Why He's the Best in the Business Again

13,777 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by double aught
Cynic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Meh, if you're a democrat you will love his show.
PatAg
AG
If you have a sense of humor you love his show
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
PatAg said:

javajaws said:

TCTTS said:

I didn't realize just how much I missed Stewart's seething hatred for Carlson, and more specifically, how good he is at speaking truth to Carlson's bullsh*t, in the most hilarious fashion. It's legit cathartic to have this back.

That said, I'm as equally glad Stewart doubled down on his Biden criticisms as well, mocking all the crazies on the left who went after him last week.

Overall, after two episodes, he hasn't missed a beat, not even in the slightest, which is pretty amazing to see. It's like he never left, yet he simultaneously makes the hole in absence the past nine years that much more glaring.
Well, he turns his dislike of Carlson from humor to visceral hatred...at which point he really isn't funny any more but disturbingly preachy and cultish. No surprise though that someone on the left finds that appealing and humorous. I do think Stewart has skill in delivering a biting monologue, but he just can't get out of his way sometimes. He needs to learn when to stop and move on instead of digging in and making it personal. Otherwise his timing and humorous mannerisms are outstanding.
He's a comedian, not a journalist or a news show.
Thats actually something he originally destroyed Carlson over back during the original run of his show.

It was hilarious (comedy is subjective)

This is my biggest issue with Stewart and other hosts of "comedic"-political shows. I'm not referring to the clip mentioned specifically, but it's such a lame excuse when they give very real opinions/takes on information they present as fact, then fall back to "I'm not the news! I'm not obligated to say accurate things!" if they're called out for misreporting or just having a bad take. I'm not of the opinion that having a laugh track or prompted laughs from a studio audience absolves someone from criticism for saying something wrong or dumb.

Also going from saying "comedy is subjective" to "If you have a sense of humor you love his show" in your most recent post on here comically ironic.
Mr President Elect
AG
TCTTS said:

DallasTeleAg said:

I don't mind him going after Tucker for some of that cringy stuff, but it's fairly tone deaf to accuse Tucker of similar things he did himself, during COVID.

Also, there are several Americans having to deal with prison sentences over simply being in DC during the Jan 6th riots. So to say we don't have those same issues in the US is absolutely tone deaf. I honestly don't think our establishment politicians in the US are any better than Putin, and to say that we somehow hold some moral high ground just tells me he refuses to really tear apart his side of the aisle. This is where people like Rogan and other true liberals are actually able to see some of the ridiculousness of the left and call it out while Stewart will only go skin deep on the left.

Making fun of Joe Biden is not that courageous. It is simply taking an easy shot at something comedians should have been doing for years.

This would imply you either believe that a number of our politicians consistently have people murdered who disagree with them/threaten their power - or - you think said murder is somehow comparable to locking people up who participate in insurrections. I'm confused which one it is, though either option is equally wild.
I opened X to find a Lindsey Graham tweet on bombing people, but instead this was the first post in my feed:

Lathspell
AG
Honestly, I would have to go searching through his videos from his Apple show, which I don't care enough to do. I know I saw clips of his show with him capitulating to the powers that be. His white guilt BS was also unbearable to watch from his Apple shows.

ETA: This is also coming from someone who has always admitted Jon Stewart is very funny and talented. I'm more disappointed that he doesn't go in as hard against the left. I appreciate those who do and are self-aware enough to see the evil their side pushes.
Capybara
Kind of related to this, I just saw that 30m+ people watched the Tucker-Putin interview? Who knows how twitter/x calculates views, but still…embarrassing. Just from the clips I saw, Tucker was either lobbing softballs or even fully acquiescing to him! If you want an actual good, quality interview with him, watch either the FT's from like four years ago or Oliver Stone's.
TCTTS
AG
Mr President Elect said:

TCTTS said:

DallasTeleAg said:

I don't mind him going after Tucker for some of that cringy stuff, but it's fairly tone deaf to accuse Tucker of similar things he did himself, during COVID.

Also, there are several Americans having to deal with prison sentences over simply being in DC during the Jan 6th riots. So to say we don't have those same issues in the US is absolutely tone deaf. I honestly don't think our establishment politicians in the US are any better than Putin, and to say that we somehow hold some moral high ground just tells me he refuses to really tear apart his side of the aisle. This is where people like Rogan and other true liberals are actually able to see some of the ridiculousness of the left and call it out while Stewart will only go skin deep on the left.

Making fun of Joe Biden is not that courageous. It is simply taking an easy shot at something comedians should have been doing for years.

This would imply you either believe that a number of our politicians consistently have people murdered who disagree with them/threaten their power - or - you think said murder is somehow comparable to locking people up who participate in insurrections. I'm confused which one it is, though either option is equally wild.
I opened X to find a Lindsey Graham tweet on bombing people, but instead this was the first post in my feed:

Again, no one's saying we don't do this sh*t too.

Nor is anyone saying we shouldn't be examining our own leaders in roughly the same light.

Clearly though, AGAIN - in contrast - I was talking about Putin's consistent and relentless habit of having journalists/political foes poisoned and murdered in cold blood, in the most blatant and obvious of ways, where everyone and their dog knows it was him who gave the order.

In other words, he's a brazen murderous dictator who Tucker was being objectively easy on.

That's the point here.

That's the difference.

The point isn't to continually try employing whataboutism in whatever tangential argument some people here are trying to make.
TequilaMockingbird
TCTTS said:

Again, no one's saying we don't do this sh*t too.

Then why are you still here arguing about it?
TCTTS
AG
Because it's a message board.

And I already very clearly explained, for anyone who can read.
maroon barchetta
Better to go the subversive route than to go the brazen route.

Got it.
jeffk
AG
People realize the alleged Assange-CIA thing took place during the Trump admin, right?
TequilaMockingbird
TCTTS said:

lol no you didn't.
Mr President Elect
AG
I wasn't trying to employ any whataboutism, I was about only answering the question you posed, that yes I think our gov't can be just as bad. Obviously they can't be as blatant about it as they can't get away with it like Putin can. Wasn't at all trying to defend Putin. Personally, I think Tucker's video praising the supermarkets there is a bit odd, but I really only watch him when he interviews somebody I want to see... which that is pretty much never.
Mr President Elect
AG
jeffk said:

People realize the alleged Assange-CIA thing took place during the Trump admin, right?
Not sure what this has to do with anything, it wouldn't suprise me if there was a CIA led assasination attempt on Trump while he was president.
Lathspell
AG
Our government will push the overton window as far as they can, incrementally, until they completely subjugate the populace. And a large part of this country will applaud with every step further they take.

People don't seem to understand that the natural state of mankind throughout our history has been that of subjugation to the powerful few. Such a large swath of the human race will always choose comfort over freedom.

But, of course, Jon Stewart doesn't challenge that or tear those things apart, because that would mean taking up the plight of those he considers "other" because their beliefs are different to his.
TCTTS
AG
TequilaMockingbird said:

TCTTS said:

lol no you didn't.

The segment in question, and thus the discussion in the thread, concerned Carlson's inability to ask the hard questions of Putin. It was a softball interview turned borderline Russian propaganda piece. But because Tucker is seen as a conservative voice, and some people here can't stand the idea of a conservative being perceived as taking any kind of an L from a liberal, the conversation quickly veered into "Yeah, well, we're just as bad"/Jon Stewart sucks territory. In other words, it was all an obvious attempt to deflect from Carlson's obvious deficiencies, i.e. beside the primary point of the discussion.
RogerFurlong
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

PatAg said:

javajaws said:

TCTTS said:

I didn't realize just how much I missed Stewart's seething hatred for Carlson, and more specifically, how good he is at speaking truth to Carlson's bullsh*t, in the most hilarious fashion. It's legit cathartic to have this back.

That said, I'm as equally glad Stewart doubled down on his Biden criticisms as well, mocking all the crazies on the left who went after him last week.

Overall, after two episodes, he hasn't missed a beat, not even in the slightest, which is pretty amazing to see. It's like he never left, yet he simultaneously makes the hole in absence the past nine years that much more glaring.
Well, he turns his dislike of Carlson from humor to visceral hatred...at which point he really isn't funny any more but disturbingly preachy and cultish. No surprise though that someone on the left finds that appealing and humorous. I do think Stewart has skill in delivering a biting monologue, but he just can't get out of his way sometimes. He needs to learn when to stop and move on instead of digging in and making it personal. Otherwise his timing and humorous mannerisms are outstanding.
Thats actually something he originally destroyed Carlson over back during the original run of his show.

This is my biggest issue with Stewart and other hosts of "comedic"-political shows. I'm not referring to the clip mentioned specifically, but it's such a lame excuse when they give very real opinions/takes on information they present as fact, then fall back to "I'm not the news! I'm not obligated to say accurate things!" if they're called out for misreporting or just having a bad take. I'm not of the opinion that having a laugh track or prompted laughs from a studio audience absolves someone from criticism for saying something wrong or dumb.

Also going from saying "comedy is subjective" to "If you have a sense of humor you love his show" in your most recent post on here comically ironic.
The clown nose on clown nose off routine is terrible. He hates carlson because he hated debate shows, where both sides would argue against each other. Now we get monologues from one side and no counter argument from the other. I think the debate shows were better for the country than how it is now.
TCTTS
AG
Or, maybe… just maybe… he hates Carlson for the same reason the rest of us do… because Tucker is a turd of a human being who often traffics in lies, propaganda, and fear mongering, objectively and increasingly so.
superunknown
AG
I always liked his show on MTV. Thought the doofy announcer guy Howard was a great bit.

Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Capybara said:

Kind of related to this, I just saw that 30m+ people watched the Tucker-Putin interview? Who knows how twitter/x calculates views, but still…embarrassing. Just from the clips I saw, Tucker was either lobbing softballs or even fully acquiescing to him! If you want an actual good, quality interview with him, watch either the FT's from like four years ago or Oliver Stone's.
30 million sounds like a lot for an online-only interview. For comparison, the CFB championship - which admittedly would get more conversation in my social circles - peaked at 28 million.

I still haven't watched the Putin interview, so can't comment on the substance. But from the little I've seen of Tucker's recent X interviews, his style now seems more like Rogan's, in the sense of just getting the guests to talk more than arguing with them. I wouldn't expect a Nixon-Khruschev kitchen debate from that format.
jeffk
AG
Mr President Elect said:

jeffk said:

Not sure what this has to do with anything, it wouldn't suprise me if there was a CIA led assasination attempt on Trump while he was president.

It might not have anything to to do with anything, but I personally would definitely be surprised if the CIA tried to assassinate a sitting CIC.
RogerFurlong
TCTTS said:

Or, maybe… just maybe… he hates Carlson for the same reason the rest of us do… because Tucker is a turd of a human being who often traffics in lies, propaganda, and fear mongering, objectively and increasingly so.

I'm sure he feels the same about liberal commentators who do the same for the left.
PatAg
AG
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

PatAg said:

javajaws said:

TCTTS said:

No it's not
javajaws
AG
TCTTS said:

maroon barchetta said:

Definitely Not A Cop said:

I really don't want to get involved in this argument.

That being said, in regards to people who threaten politicians power; Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself.

Now do Vince Foster
Who had a bunch of Whitewater documents in his car
And drove himself to a park and committed suicide
Without his car keys. They were never found.

But yeah. It's totally only corrupt leaders of other countries who kill people that threaten their position.

Nobody on the left would ever do such a thing.

That's what I'm always calling out. It's not the poster. It's their hypocrisy.

Notice I very specifically said "consistently." Of course there have been examples of murder - on both sides - within our own system. But not to the level, consistency, and insecurity of Putin. Not anywhere close.

NOBODY outshines Putin when it comes to watching people accidentally jumping out of 4th floor windows.
Capybara
DustysLineup said:

Capybara said:

30 million sounds like a lot for an online-only interview. For comparison, the CFB championship - which admittedly would get more conversation in my social circles - peaked at 28 million.

I still haven't watched the Putin interview, so can't comment on the substance. But from the little I've seen of Tucker's recent X interviews, his style now seems more like Rogan's, in the sense of just getting the guests to talk more than arguing with them. I wouldn't expect a Nixon-Khruschev kitchen debate from that format.
Oh right, it is impressive. I meant embarrassing in that I can't believe he still commands so many eyeballs. But then again, he (or his team) understand the shifting media environment better than most other professionals.

And I get that I'm just not part of his targeted audience. Nor Rogan's. And man, just my opinion, but it stinks to see Rogan's thought processes become so influenced by social media in its current state. Many such cases though.

See this is one of the few reasons I'm glad mass written media/communication is dying. It neuters voice/personality, at least it does today. The issue is how do you get the most talented/compelling voices more exposure when the algorithms select for more ad-friendly content? I mean even the notion of content itself makes this difficult.
double aught
AG
jeffk said:

Mr President Elect said:

jeffk said:

It might not have anything to to do with anything, but I personally would definitely be surprised if the CIA tried to assassinate a sitting CIC.
Absolutely this. That kind of thinking comes from spending too much time online and not in the real world.

The government may be inept, but it's full of decent, regular people. It's not inherently evil.
Capybara
double aught said:

jeffk said:

Mr President Elect said:

jeffk said:

Absolutely this. That kind of thinking comes from spending too much time online and not in the real world.

The government may be inept, but it's full of decent, regular people. It's not inherently evil.
Right, but also the CIA just doesn't have that sort of intrigue anymore. It's full of Mormons.
Lathspell
AG
double aught said:

jeffk said:

Mr President Elect said:

jeffk said:

That depends on your worldview. i believe government is a necessary evil. Therefore, anyone who pushes for more government is perpetuating evil.

If I walk up to you and threaten to take your life away unless you pay me 27% of your income, that would be considered a crime. The government does that to all of us.
fig96
AG
For anyone who hasn't seen it, there's some great lines in here regardless of your side of the aisle.

El Gallo Blanco
double aught said:

jeffk said:

Mr President Elect said:

jeffk said:

They won't assassinate a sitting or former US President...too risky. They will just try to completely ruin him with endless legal charges, fabricated hoaxes, and use every trick they can think of to keep him from being elected. In other words keep doing what they have been doing.

I don't even like Trump, but I have never seen a politician treated like this. And I believe it's ALL because he is an outsider who doesn't just blindly play the establishment game that has been played all along. He wasn't supposed to win in 2016. I certainly never thought I would see weaponized federal agencies collude with private sector to interfere in an election like the FBI did in 2020...openly.

This isn't the 1960's, no one needs to die here. They have other more high-tech and less disruptive means of taking out politicians that can't be controlled.

One thing cannot be argued...the CIA and other federal agencies have committed heinous atrocities against it's own people in recent decades. The Tuskegee Syphilis Experiments killed and harmed how many unsuspecting black men? And those ended in 1972...just a handful of years before Joe Biden was promoting racial segregation and saying he "didn't want his children to grow up in a racial jungle".
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
jeffk said:

Mr President Elect said:

jeffk said:

So you don't subscribe to that JFK theory?
jeffk
AG
Like I'd admit that to someone who's absolutely a cop.
c-jags
TCTTS said:

bUt i'M a mOdErAtE.
fig96
AG
c-jags said:

TCTTS said:

bUt i'M a mOdErAtE.
It is apparently news to you that anyone not well right of center thinks Tucker is a slimeball.
TCTTS
AG
c-jags said:

TCTTS said:

bUt i'M a mOdErAtE.

That a moderate or conservative can't dislike Tucker freaking Carlson is an objectively insane thing to imply.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.