Northern Exposure…..

9,767 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by maroon barchetta
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One of my favorite shows of that era. Delightfully quirky, funny, whimsical and surpassingly deep when it wanted to be. And yeah, Maggie. I always liked Eve too though.
maroon barchetta
Just watched an episode where Silent Bob and Mummenschanz visited the town.

Hey. Maybe that character was the inspiration for the Silent Bob movie character.
maroon barchetta
Currently watching the episode that mentions Old Dime Box and Snook while I eat dinner.
maroon barchetta
Holy crap.

The Cancel Culture whackos (redundant) would be all over the writers for this exchange. And probably after the actors for not walking off the set and refusing to speak the lines.

Aggies76
AG
Imagine a black man having a conversation with someone like Maurice and telling him that he likes him. This is one of the things I love about Northern Exposure. There are no villains and no hatred. The writers make it plain that Maurice is a racist and a bigot, but they give him a chance to unlearn that behavior. It's a community of kindness that can't exist in a cancel culture.
maroon barchetta
Exactly.

Because cancel culture people are miserable and constantly unhappy and looking for something to complain about.
Aggies76
AG
S4E12 -"Revelations" - I haven't laughed this much in a long time. Chris in a monastery with a young Steven Root…..so so funny. Top 5 episode.
maroon barchetta
Aggies76 said:

S4E12 -"Revelations" - I haven't laughed this much in a long time. Chris in a monastery with a young Steven Root…..so so funny. Top 5 episode.

I started that one tonight but had to pause. I'll finish it later.

Is the guy that plays Chris that tall or is Steven Root that short?
Aggies76
AG
I think John Corbett is taller than your average guy.
Rudyjax
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Aggies76 said:

I started that one tonight but had to pause. I'll finish it later.

Is the guy that plays Chris that tall or is Steven Root that short?

John Corbett is 6'5".

Steven Root is 5'9.

So about average.
maroon barchetta
Thanks.

Didn't realize Corbett was so tall. He is taller than most on the show but you hear how Hollywood is full of short people so you never really know.
LMCane
deadhead aggie said:

…..now streaming on Amazon Prime….such a great cast of personalities and so cleverly written…

I forgot just how annoying and obnoxious Dr. Fleischman is early on….Maggie smoking hot as always….Maurice, Chris, Ed, Holling, etc., etc., etc…..gonna be a fun ride again !!

does it make anyone else a bit sad to watch things from decades previously?

I usually never watch series that I grew up with ever again.

30 years have passed?!? anyone that watched Northern Exposure when it first came out is at least middle aged and most nearly elderly now.
maroon barchetta
Just watch it.

You have other reasons to be sad.
Rudyjax
AG
LMCane said:

deadhead aggie said:

…..now streaming on Amazon Prime….such a great cast of personalities and so cleverly written…

I forgot just how annoying and obnoxious Dr. Fleischman is early on….Maggie smoking hot as always….Maurice, Chris, Ed, Holling, etc., etc., etc…..gonna be a fun ride again !!

30 years have passed?!? anyone that watched Northern Exposure when it first came out is at least middle aged and most nearly elderly now.

According to some, I'm not middle aged.

But didn't watch the first few seasons live because of the dumb corps.
maroon barchetta
Look who I found on today's episode.

TXAG 05
AG
LMCane said:

deadhead aggie said:

What difference does it make how old something is?
Aggies76
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Look who I found on today's episode.

Jack Black! Just watched this one.
maroon barchetta
I heard Dripping Springs mentioned yesterday. Maybe they picked that up on their trip to Texas when they discovered Snook and Old Dime Box.
Aggies76
AG
LMCane said:

deadhead aggie said:

I can tell you that Northern Exposure has not made me sad. It has made me laugh and cry, but it has not made me sad. I'm enjoying it more now than I did when we watched it in the nineties.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Back when that was on, I was spending as much as ten days a month in Spokane on business. One of the ladies I worked with grandmother's house was used on the show. There was an episode where it needed to be blown, she said absolutely not- even though they offered her more than double what it appraised at. She said no way, as that house has been in the family for three generations. So they built an exact replica of the exterior and blew it up instead.
maroon barchetta
Spoiler alert.
Aggies76
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Spoiler alert.

I'll look for this. Also still looking for Maggie in the A&M t-shirt.
CheeseSndwch
I always get Northern Exposure confused with Picket Fences. But I think my parents used to watch both series and all I can really remember from Northern Exposure is an episode where someone finds and eats a woolly mammoth and Anthony Edwards wearing a spacesuit to a parade to avoid germs. I'm going to give it a rewatch.
Aggies76
AG
You won't regret it.
LMCane
Rudyjax said:

They wanted to do a re-boot with Joel returning, but it never happened. Very sad.

Thanks for the reminder. i'm going to do a rewatch.

Gonna be weird being older than all but 2 of the main characters instead of younger.
what is strange to me is that was such a good show, and a pretty good hit

yet the cast really never made it into celebrity status.

I mean, what happened to their careers AFTER Northern Exposure?
Aggies76
AG
Right! Rob Morrow appeared in the critically acclaimed Quiz Show, but not much after that.
Rudyjax
AG
LMCane said:

Rudyjax said:

They wanted to do a re-boot with Joel returning, but it never happened. Very sad.

Gonna be weird being older than all but 2 of the main characters instead of younger.

There's a reason why there are a ton of kids aged 18-25 named Aidan and it's not because of Northern Exposure.

Rob Morrow has had a great career, just not a major star.

Barry Corbin remains one of my favorite actors of all time.

maroon barchetta
Rudyjax said:

LMCane said:

Rudyjax said:

There's a reason why there are a ton of kids aged 18-25 named Aidan and it's not because of Northern Exposure.

Rob Morrow has had a great career, just not a major star.

Barry Corbin remains one of my favorite actors of all time.

"Aww, hell, I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it would help." - War Games
LMCane
Being a Texas forum:
deadhead aggie
AG
maroon barchetta said:

so i watched an episode the other day and Maurice starts off saying, "I've come to the conclusion........"

i immediately jumped to his line in War Games....."Mr. McKittrick, after very careful consideration, sir, I've come to the conclusion that your new defense system sucks."
Rudyjax
AG
deadhead aggie said:

maroon barchetta said:

so i watched an episode the other day and Maurice starts off saying, "I've come to the conclusion........"

i immediately jumped to his line in War Games....."Mr. McKittrick, after very careful consideration, sir, I've come to the conclusion that your new defense system sucks."
He's awesome in The Ranch.
Aggies76
AG
How could I forget about Barry Corbin's post NE career. Lonesome Dove, of course.
maroon barchetta
This was on network tv in prime time?
Aggies76
Aggies76
AG
Yeah I just watched this last night. Is it the p word that bothers you? NE kind of pushed the boundaries.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.