Anyone seen Sound of Freedom?

125,651 Views | 1511 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by General Jack D. Ripper
amercer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BoydCrowder13 said:

You'd think of all things, this topic would be one without 2 sides.

Pretty sure there are 10 pages of this thread telling you that everyone here is against trafficking.

There are just also a lot of people here against trafficking being used as the basis for crazy conspiracy theories that whip up the right into thinking that child eating liberals are hiding around every corner just waiting for the next opportunity to sex traffic their kids.
CC09LawAg
amercer said:

Trafficking has become to the right what trans issues have become to the left. Serious, but overall small problems blown up to outrage the home team.

This is a seriously bold, strange take in a thread full of them, but it's gotta take the cake.
TCTTS
AG
amercer said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

Pretty sure there are 10 pages of this thread telling you that everyone here is against trafficking.

There are just also a lot of people here against trafficking being used as the basis for crazy conspiracy theories that whip up the right into thinking that child eating liberals are hiding around every corner just waiting for the next opportunity to sex traffic their kids.
BoydCrowder13
amercer said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

Don't think I ever alluded toward those theories or politics at all.

Sex slavery is a huge international business and is one of the more despicable things you could possibly think of. There is a commercial ever 30 seconds advocating for starving people worldwide and that is extremely worthwhile. But this topic doesn't get talked about like because it is extremely unpleasant to think about. So most people avoid it.

I said it was a good film and portrays an unpleasant worldwide situation. You immediately blew it off and then joked about pizza parlors. I don't know how a real issue has been dismissed wholesale as Quanon nonsense.

You really should feel bad about that.
amercer
AG
I would encourage you to check your sources, and read widely on any topic you are really interested in. Understanding the problem is the first step to doing something about it.
Gigem314
AG
TCTTS said:

Gigem314 said:

EclipseAg said:

Proposition Joe said:

But F16 is a... bit of an echo chamber that meets those who offer a different voice with a lot of combative and "gotcha!" type posts. I don't think anyone can read that board and claim otherwise.
So what? The Entertainment board is an echo chamber, too, complete with combative posts trying to bully others who hold different viewpoints.

Some posters on Forum 13 act just like the posters on Politics they despise.
And the irony is, when opposing world viewpoints are brought up on F16...people don't ask for it to be removed or banned. They just argue it or make fun of it...and things snowball from there. But on here, there are people who want it policed and removed altogether.

I try to choose my words carefully on this board, because there's actually a lot of interesting discussion I like to take part in because I'm passionate about movies and music. But there are times where this place feels super uptight and it's like walking on eggshells.

In the spirit of camaraderie, I hear you, and agree that, from time to time, I and others can be somewhat militant in that regard. If it's any consolation, I assure you, it's not because opposing viewpoints are being presented. I'm not trying to squash out anything that doesn't align with my worldview, or anything of the sort. Hell, I read F16 on a near daily basis, just to have my own views and biases challenged (and, admittedly, to roll my eyes at some of the more extreme "discussions").

It's just that it's so damn exhausting when every last thread here turns into the same handful of posters endlessly b*tching about "wokeness."

And I simply don't understand why those complaints *have* to be had here, in every last thread, and not on F16. Why can't we have a discussion about, say, *just* Batman? Why does the thread *have* to get derailed by the same handful of posters who *have* to let everyone else know just how aggrieved they are about Catwoman using the term "white man" in a slightly derogatory manner? When it was literally one second of two-and-a-half-hour movie. Hell, there are plenty of times when I actually agree with some of the complaints. But the amount of "wokeness" in these movies is no where near the extreme level of griping about it on this board, griping that derails thread after thread after thread, day after day after day.

And I get the argument that Hollywood is "forcing" these things into the entertainment we're consuming, so, in turn, that same handful of posters are going to "force" their grievances into the discussion here. I understand the urge. It's just that A) no one is forcing anyone to watch this stuff, and B) there are no rules saying that those conversations have to be had here, on this board, to the degree and frequency that they are.

Anyway, on my end, I will try to be better about ignoring this kind of stuff in the future. It's just so damn hard when it's so damn prevalent. Someone earlier made a great point that I'll echo - it's not necessarily *what* they're complaining about, it's *how* they're complaining. Endlessly, with the most mean-spirited, f/ck you attitude, in a way that takes away from everyone else's enjoyment, and shines the light on the aggrieved rather than the subject matter. If anything, I would just appreciate, in return, certain posters here making an effort - like you do - to simply chill a bit in that regard. That's it and that's all.
I get what you're saying. Appreciate the response.

And for the record, I really do enjoy the industry info you bring on here.
BoydCrowder13
amercer said:

I would encourage you to check your sources, and read widely on any topic you are really interested in. Understanding the problem is the first step to doing something about it.

This guy a bot?
amercer
AG
Not a bot. Just not much more to say on it. If you really care about an issue, make sure you are getting the real facts about it.
BoydCrowder13
amercer said:

Not a bot. Just not much more to say on it. If you really care about an issue, make sure you are getting the real facts about it.

What are the real facts I'm missing. Please educate me.
amercer
AG
Good luck with your research. Don't be afraid of experts and government statistics.
superunknown
AG
CC09LawAg said:

amercer said:

Trafficking has become to the right what trans issues have become to the left. Serious, but overall small problems blown up to outrage the home team.

This is a seriously bold, strange take in a thread full of them, but it's gotta take the cake.

Indeed bold and strange but how I interpret amercer's post comes from ideas around cults and cultish behavior. When people see names generally associated with kookery, it makes people wonder the motivations behind interests in other subjects. Not trying to rile anyone up here but names like Michael Flynn and Steve Bannon are very polarizing and they look large over any issue they're near. When Bannon's MO is to "flood the zone with shht" and then you see him adjacent or in the middle of something, its hard to discern what (if anything) he actually believes.

It sure does attract a crowd, though.
Sea Speed
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Make like Frozen and Let It Go, dude.

Make like a tree and get the **** outta here
BoydCrowder13
superunknown said:

CC09LawAg said:

amercer said:

Indeed bold and strange but how I interpret amercer's post comes from ideas around cults and cultish behavior. When people see names generally associated with kookery, it makes people wonder the motivations behind interests in other subjects. Not trying to rile anyone up here but names like Michael Flynn and Steve Bannon are very polarizing and they look large over any issue they're near. When Bannon's MO is to "flood the zone with shht" and then you see him adjacent or in the middle of something, its hard to discern what (if anything) he actually believes.

It sure does attract a crowd, though.

It's unfortunate to have Bannon and others mentioned alongside this. Caviezel's got odd beliefs but that doesn't mean the Passion of the Christ is a bad film.

I've got early access tickets to Mission Impossible on Monday and I'm pumped. And ole Tom is certifiable.
Know Your Enemy
AG
BoydCrowder13 said:

amercer said:

2M+ children is small problems?

1M+ dead Americans from COVID is no biggie from what I've been told.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
BoydCrowder13 said:

The internet…finds a way.
GrayMatter
AG
I'm not sure why some are all hell bent on TCTTS watching the movie as if the movie is going to magically change his opinions. Hell some of you from F16 have your own opinions and rather die with them than admit that they're wrong [in some instances]. But I digress.

Just bc TCTTS works in Hollywood does not make him the end-all, be-all authority on everything movies/shows/entertainment related. I do believe it is possible to have an opinion about a movie if you're not really intended to see it. For someone like TCTTS, who may have read the script ahead of time or may have known about it, this would make more sense than us regular folk.

At the end of the day, it's just a ****ing movie. A movie that was based on true events, there's a reason why it's a movie and not a documentary. If it were entirely true, it would be a documentary. End of story.
dreyOO
FtWorthHorn said:

dreyOO said:

FtWorthHorn said:

dreyOO said:

jeffk said:

Hopefully all the people angry about the lack of press this movie is getting will go and find an aid organization or non-profit that works to address human trafficking to support financially.

https://www.a21.org/

https://mercyproject.org

Thanks for posting these links. As a dad, I'm terrified of something happening to my kids or a kid I know. I know there's not much I can do, but I proudly wear my Operation Underground Railroad gear when we're out in places like malls or amusement parks. I hope any bad guys realize there are more good guys around that are aware of the situations. Guys like Plano good on you man helping that girl.
The good news is that's not really how trafficking works. It's not people jumping out of a van and grabbing a random kid. It's almost always someone the kid knows and comes to trust, and they go to the trafficker willingly (not understanding what is going to happen). So the point isn't that you shouldn't worry about your kids, it's that everyone should know what trafficking actually looks like and warn their kids about THAT. Don't get paranoid in a public place - that's incredibly unlikely to be an issue.

I'm from Houston where they ship thousands upon thousands of kids fresh off the boat each week.

But this is my point. The thing you posted (thousands of kids fresh off the boat each week) isn't true at all. That's made up. It's a deep misunderstanding of how trafficking (a real and widespread problem!) actually occurs.

Not trying to debate. So maybe I'm misinformed. But in my Houston days, I literally went to after hours joints that clearly had lots of young "women" on display, working, and trying to get guys to spend money on them. I'm talking seedy, ****hole establishments and people that were brand new to this country. No English, no idea of what America was like.

I got creeped the hell out of those places because of the heavy thug factor. (And got the hell out. To be clear.) Many times, just roped in with idiots I was tagging along with.

So maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I was always under the impression that Houston PD knew about them and that there was a "Mamasan" that ran it and the people in it. And kept the police away. Again, maybe I'm way off base as this was 10+ years ago. But I 100% believe there are people moved in mass and run through joints like that as it seemed way off. When I learned later about Houston being a HUGE port for importing people, let me just say that it all added up finally.

If I had known at the time, I damn sure would have made a few anonymous phone calls to the popo.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Quote:

ust bc TCTTS works in Hollywood does not make him the end-all, be-all authority on everything

That's kind of a point I guess I've never made eloquently, but I'm not thinking of him if I say something about "Hollywood" in general. I'd wager most Texags posters are not talking about him when they talk about "Hollywood" as an industry.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
GrayMatter said:

I'm not sure why some are all hell bent on TCTTS watching the movie as if the movie is going to magically change his opinions. Hell some of you from F16 have your own opinions and rather die with them than admit that they're wrong [in some instances]. But I digress.

Just bc TCTTS works in Hollywood does not make him the end-all, be-all authority on everything movies/shows/entertainment related. I do believe it is possible to have an opinion about a movie if you're not really intended to see it. For someone like TCTTS, who may have read the script ahead of time or may have known about it, this would make more sense than us regular folk.

At the end of the day, it's just a ****ing movie. A movie that was based on true events, there's a reason why it's a movie and not a documentary. If it were entirely true, it would be a documentary. End of story.

EOT
Albatross Necklace
GrayMatter said:

I'm not sure why some are all hell bent on TCTTS watching the movie as if the movie is going to magically change his opinions.
Most posters aren't demanding that he watch the movie.

They are refuting his crazy conspiracy theories that this movie is about adrenochrome.

However you are right.

When your job depends on big studio tentpoles beating small indie films, you will say anything to protect your financial interests.
TCTTS
AG
Albatross Necklace said:

GrayMatter said:

I'm not sure why some are all hell bent on TCTTS watching the movie as if the movie is going to magically change his opinions.
Most posters aren't demanding that he watch the movie.

They are refuting his crazy conspiracy theories that this movie is about adrenochrome.

However you are right.

When your job depends on big studio tentpoles beating small indie films, you will say anything to protect your financial interests.

This has gotten so absurd that I can't even be mad anymore. It's just complete and utter delusion at this point, creating narratives out of thin air.

I have never once said that this movie is about adrenochroming, and am a broken record in saying that I have zero problems with the movie itself. Trust me, I'm beyond aware of how innocuous it is when it comes to conspiracy/political elements, of which there are none. I've made that point repeatedly.

As for my job "depending on big studio tentpoles beating small indie films," I'm literally laughing out loud at how stupid and nonsensical this is. Really, where do you come up with this crap? You realize I don't work for a major studio, right? And am actively trying to get two indies made. Like, I don't even understand the logistics here. Producers try to get movies made any way they can, by whoever is willing to pay for them. Sometimes it's by a studio, sometimes it's independently. It depends on the movie. Either way, as someone who needs the movie business to thrive, why on earth would I root for independent movies to fail? Especially considering that I've championed countless ones here on the board over the years.

In fact, I think it's awesome this movie is doing great business, and I hope Angel Studios keeps making more. I want as many people in as many theaters seeing as many movies as possible, for eternity.

Is this really all you've got?

Just blatantly making sh*t up in order to paint me in the worst light possible?

Are you *that* desperate for someone to aim your outrage at?
TCTTS
AG
GrayMatter said:

johnnyblaze36
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Here is one for you: Hip Hop was CIA Psy-Ops
I read that one yesterday and as a life long hip-hop fan that was a bridge too far. I mean, just look at my username. That was such a nonsecial thread I couldn't even bring myself to comment.

I do look forward to seeing this film now though. My sister used to do mission trips over in Africa and Asia to help fight human trafficking over a decade ago. The things she learned about this industry and relayed to me were quite eye opening. Then to find out how much of it runs through Houston was even more shocking. I felt like I had been living under a rock.

LMCane
GrayMatter said:

agreed

I have no idea why anyone who works in Hollywood is just assumed to be some type of "expert" on culture or even the entertainment industry.

if everyone was a genius in Hollywood- why do so many movies flop?! cough Katherine Kennedy cough

not everyone who works in Washington DC is some genius political thinker and intellectual. just like not everyone in New York City is some avant garde savant.
maca1028
Why am I not surprised that there's no reviews about the movie in here?
BoydCrowder13
maca1028 said:

I tried. Didn't make it about politics or QAnon or any of that crap. Amercer and TCCTS threw us right back in.

It is a good movie and most would appreciate it. Obviously it is dark subject matter so you will feel uncomfortable a lot of the time. If you are a parent, you will likely get emotional at parts.
Robert L. Peters
Know Your Enemy said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

amercer said:

1M+ dead Americans with COVID is no biggie from what I've been told.
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
amercer said:

Being hidden in the basement of every pizza parlor right?

You're just flailing around here…
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
amercer said:

Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

amercer said:

1M+ dead Americans from COVID is no biggie from what I've been told.

And here comes Rage For The Machine with hot covid takes in July 2023.
Nonregdrummer09
AG

Fair review that I think sums up the movie well.
FtWorthHorn
BoydCrowder13 said:

amercer said:

How do you think most trafficking victims become involved?
FtWorthHorn
dreyOO said:

FtWorthHorn said:

dreyOO said:

FtWorthHorn said:

dreyOO said:

jeffk said:

Hopefully all the people angry about the lack of press this movie is getting will go and find an aid organization or non-profit that works to address human trafficking to support financially.

https://www.a21.org/

https://mercyproject.org

Thanks for posting these links. As a dad, I'm terrified of something happening to my kids or a kid I know. I know there's not much I can do, but I proudly wear my Operation Underground Railroad gear when we're out in places like malls or amusement parks. I hope any bad guys realize there are more good guys around that are aware of the situations. Guys like Plano good on you man helping that girl.
The good news is that's not really how trafficking works. It's not people jumping out of a van and grabbing a random kid. It's almost always someone the kid knows and comes to trust, and they go to the trafficker willingly (not understanding what is going to happen). So the point isn't that you shouldn't worry about your kids, it's that everyone should know what trafficking actually looks like and warn their kids about THAT. Don't get paranoid in a public place - that's incredibly unlikely to be an issue.

I'm from Houston where they ship thousands upon thousands of kids fresh off the boat each week.

But this is my point. The thing you posted (thousands of kids fresh off the boat each week) isn't true at all. That's made up. It's a deep misunderstanding of how trafficking (a real and widespread problem!) actually occurs.

Not trying to debate. So maybe I'm misinformed. But in my Houston days, I literally went to after hours joints that clearly had lots of young "women" on display, working, and trying to get guys to spend money on them. I'm talking seedy, ****hole establishments and people that were brand new to this country. No English, no idea of what America was like.

I got creeped the hell out of those places because of the heavy thug factor. (And got the hell out. To be clear.) Many times, just roped in with idiots I was tagging along with.

So maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I was always under the impression that Houston PD knew about them and that there was a "Mamasan" that ran it and the people in it. And kept the police away. Again, maybe I'm way off base as this was 10+ years ago. But I 100% believe there are people moved in mass and run through joints like that as it seemed way off. When I learned later about Houston being a HUGE port for importing people, let me just say that it all added up finally.

If I had known at the time, I damn sure would have made a few anonymous phone calls to the popo.
Again, sex trafficking is in fact a big problem, and you likely witnessed it! But my point is that I don't see anything in your post that would indicate that there's some massive organization "moving" these people around the world. Everything I have read would suggest that it's much more likely these were people in Houston, likely undocumented, who were simply trying to support themselves. Now, that often turns into trafficking! But it's a fundamentally different issue than believing there are people running a modern slave import business with people they have kidnapped - that's not generally how it works.
BoydCrowder13
FtWorthHorn said:

BoydCrowder13 said:

amercer said:

How do you think most trafficking victims become involved?

Kids that are undocumented, in juvenile or welfare systems or are homeless. Easy targets.

Does that mean they don't matter?

You seem to be confusing me with some believer in the "worldwide network of liberal sex traffickers".
TCTTS
AG
BoydCrowder13 said:

maca1028 said:

I tried. Didn't make it about politics or QAnon or any of that crap. Amercer and TCCTS threw us right back in.

It is a good movie and most would appreciate it. Obviously it is dark subject matter so you will feel uncomfortable a lot of the time. If you are a parent, you will likely get emotional at parts.

A thread was created specifically for the movie...

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3386014

So I assumed this thread was for ancillary movie talk, while the other thread was for the contents of the movie itself.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.