Watching MCU Movies for the first time. ENDGAME!!!!!

4,227 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by imjustsayin
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TL;DR: Endgame was nuts! But what now?

Phase 1 Reaction:
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3278723

Phase 2 Reaction:
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3285463

Phase 3 Reaction (Part 1): Dr. Strange / GotG Vol 2 / Civil War
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3287952

Phase 3 Reaction (Part 2): Ragnarok / Black Panther / Homecoming
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3290581

Phase 3 Reaction (Part 3): Infinity War
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3291814

Phase 3 Reaction (Part 4): Ant Man & The Wasp / Captain Marvel
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3294976

Avengers. Are. Pissed.
Well…that's one way to start a movie! This pretty much had the same level of "holy crap I didn't expect things to go this way" start that Infinity War did. And I friggin called it from my Phase 2 post for Ultron (man this has been fun when I ended up guessing both right and wrong at times)!

jokershady said:

Hawkeye is in this a lot more and I enjoyed that….of course I can't wait to see his family tragically get killed so he can have a reason re-join the Avengers (sarcasm and while I don't know if this actually happens I'm calling my shot).

And that was so well done! You knew it had to be coming when it showed them all hanging out all happy and care free at the beginning but dang if that didn't show the complete level of helplessness that a father would feel with something insane like that taking place. And they decide to top it by killing Thanos in the first 15 minutes which was a big shocker in my house. Which leads to surprisingly one of the coolest things they could have done in this film: post-snap world.

It's hard for me to imagine them building this new world that everyone's been forced to live in any better than what they did. The appearance of the cities, towns, governments mentioned, and even this one little scene perfectly encapsulates what trying to go on living has been like:

And I don't know if it's insanely sad or hilarious (both maybe) that in this scene we have Captain America, who's arguably a huge icon that I'd assume would draw a lot of people only sitting and chatting with 7 or 8 other folks like it's an AA meeting.

Fat Thor
This was fun. This was so much dang fun. Favorite character in this one hands down. Part of me loved it just because they didn't cheapen out on the whole fat, depressed, alcoholic bit because I was afraid once he inevitably got his crap together that he'd grab his hammer, strike himself with lightening and become ripped Thor again. But no, he's still a beer drinking fat guy at the end of the movie which was so great! Course it was also fun to watch my wife have to look at fat suit Chris Hemmsworth for 3 hours.

Time Travel
I'm sure there was some massive discussion on the Endgame Spoiler thread on this board about the rules of time travel and how this movie explained you couldn't kill a baby Thanos to prevent snap death and all that….here's my take:

Back to the Future has its own set of rules…so does Bill & Ted…so does Terminator…so who cares about arguing over the rules of something that doesn't exist?

With that out of the way…

Loved all of the different aspects of trying to get the infinity stones…course to start things off they have another hilariously tragic scene….jeez Thor really is a broken, drunk, depressed man in this movie…eat your heart out ladies (maybe you can be the one to change him)!!!!

I have to say out of getting all 6 stones watching Thor and Rocket partner up to get the reality stone was the most fun. Their banter was entertaining and Thor getting the chance to see his mother was definitely un-expected. But not as un-expected as Tony Stark getting the chance to see his dad one more time…which was honestly one of the most heartwarming scenes of the movie especially since he and Cap are working together to find the tesseract and the last time they were working together was when he found out Bucky killed his mother and father.

Hands down I'm sure we can all agree the suckiest stone recovery trip was the soul stone. Screw this stone man… Course my youngest kid chimes in, "Did Black Widow die?"

And here I am:

*sigh* crap….

The time stone had what I thought was a really cool twist because only then did it become apparent why Dr. Strange gave up the time stone in Infinity War, because he knew only by doing that would bald wizard lady then be confident enough to give the time stone away to the Avengers.

The War
There's so much awesome to digest here it's hard to know where to start…honestly I just took a 15 minute break to watch theatre reaction videos of this entire part of the film and it brought back all the feels again….so let's count 'em.

1. Thor gets his groove back homeboys got his hammer and beer gut and still looks awesome glowing blue shooting lightning!

2. Cap wields the hammer SERIOUSL KDSJN FVDS ASE WE FF ARE YOU FS FN IKREWPFHDSF IESP P FHPDJFV KPDSFJH KPDSJF HGKDSPFJ BN;KFDSJH!!!#@#$@!!!! And then immediately wields the power of Thor after beating Thanos with just the hammer and shield holy crap that fight between them two was nuts!

3. Avengers…ASSEMBLE

4. Ant Man punching one of the flying centipedes in the face was such a treat to see!

5. Vision where the hell is Vision????

6. Spidey and Tony the friggin' hugged man crap dude jeez

7. Quill and Gamora ok this got a great laugh out of me…poor guy has no idea "his" Gamora is still dead and this Gamora just turned good about 30 minutes ago…man Quill kinda gets screwed in this movie…even at the end of the movie he's got no girlfriend and now Thor is sticking his gut in his captains chair…

8. Scarlet Witch is MAD good grief she's powerful! She was handling Thanos better than Dr. Strange and friends in the first movie holy hell!

9. Girl power scene made we nearly strain my superior rectus muscle. Google it. Not dirty. In my last post for Captain Marvel someone had mentioned they missed a perfect opportunity for Drax to show up in that scene and holy crap I agree that would have been hilarious! And why include antenna girl in this scene???? Sure she's a chick but what the hell is she going to do???

Ok…this whole scene was awesome and cool and mind blowing and all that. But then they gotta do this???

That entire experience was nuts and had to have been crazy in theaters.

Funeral / Ending
So the funeral is honestly where I ended up losing it the most…mainly because of this:

Talk about tying things up so insanely well with that character! And then there's more with Happy talking with 3,000 after the funeral…he asks her if she's hungry what she wants to eat and she says, "Cheeseburgers." "Yeah, your daddy liked cheeseburgers too." Dangit….

I also have a question…below is the video of the long camera shot at Tony Stark's funeral…skip to the 1:37 mark…who the hell is that kid by himself??? Is that the kid from the 3rd Iron Man movie that he gives all that technology to at the end????

But now I gots to mention my wife because my wife got very emotional but not in the same places I did and I'm curious for y'all that saw this with your date, wives, or the ladies that post here if it was the same for y'all…

Right when we see old Steve Rodgers sitting on the bench before we've even seen his face I hollered, "He stayed in 1970!!!!" Rest of the time I'm just enjoying this little twist and after the movie ends on the scene of Rodgers and Carter dancing I look at my wife and I see this:

I mean she straight up lost it y'all. Glasses off, wiping eyes non-stop, the works. Guess she wasn't expecting a great love story that's literally been building since the first Captain America movie to end on a happy note. Pretty awesome actually…

So I'm still undecided if this movie takes the #1 spot or if Infinity War keeps the #1 spot. These are such different movies it's honestly hard to rate which is better…but enough about that…

So What Now?
Ok so we're definitely going to keep going as a family and watching these until we're completely caught up and that includes the TV shows and watching them all in release date order but I do have some questions…

1. Y'all enjoying these reactions enough for me to keep going? See y'all know what's coming I still don't so if the TV shows and movies that we haven't seen are still pretty epic I'm happy to keep writing cause I enjoy reading y'alls posts and responses too!

2. How important is the Andrew Garfield Spiderman Movies? We're a ways away from No Way Home but I want to go ahead and plan now. Is it necessary to watch the 2 Andrew Garfield Spiderman movies? Or is it enough to know that he simply existed and fought a lizard, shock guy, goblin, and rhino?

3. My wife's ovaries are begging to go watch Thor: Love and Thunder in theaters even though we aren't caught up with all the movies and shows. Will we fully understand what's going on in this movie or do we need to wait? OR……maybe do we need to simply skip and watch the Loki show first before seeing Thor? I look forward to your words of wisdom.

And like Infinity War…how was it in theaters? How much yelling and screaming took place cause I can only imagine it must've been just as crazy as Infinity War if not more!

Far From Home is next then WandaVision.
double aught
AG
Love these recaps.
double aught
AG
And yes, that's the kid from IM3. Good catch.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You should be all set for Thor Love and Thunder.

Have really enjoyed your recaps.
rhutton125
AG
The only thing I can think of after Endgame that you need to watch, chronologically, is Far From Home before No Way Home and WandaVision before Doctor Strange 2. I think everything else spins off of Endgame, to some extent, or is just a fresh start that may or may not reference what you've already seen. So you're up to date on Thor 4, I think. As far as I know!

And keep 'em coming, I've been loving these. Phase 4 has been very unique so far (to somewhat mixed reception, relatively speaking) but the two Spider-Man movies have been great. I don't think you need to know Garfield as long as you know a good chunk of Spidey history (like, you've seen a McGuire Spidey or two, etc).
Dr. Horrible
Keep going
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Endgame was basically a sporting event on opening night. Several times of not being able to hear the dialogue over the yelling and cheering.

A ton of audible crying at Tony's death, funeral, and Cap/Peggy at the end.

People also stayed through the credits and each of the major Avengers actors got their own applause. Everyone went absolutely nuts for RDJ as you'd expect.

My favorite single audience moment will always be "On your left". That short moment of recognition before everyone loses their *****

If you've got a few hours to kill, YouTube Endgame audience reactions and enjoy your rabbit hole.
Forum Troll
AG
I hated Fat Thor.
maroon barchetta
To answer #5 from your section on The War:

Vision is dead. Just like Natasha is dead. They can't come back.
Ornithopter
AG
I am so excited you made it through all the movies!
jokershady
AG
Oh dude….I did some of that earlier (one was just to remind myself of the craziness that took place) and the reactions are awesome!
jokershady
AG
I thought Fat Thor was great! All the heroes that lived carried some sort of damage (physical, emotional, etc) from losing to Thanos and Thor becoming a video game playing, beer drinking recluse was a great way to balance, say…..Hawkeye becoming a combination an R-rated version of Batman and Logan
TCTTS
AG
I would strongly suggest NOT watching in release order from here on out. Partly because the pandemic really screwed things up. But also because, for instance, Far From Home came out next after Endgame, though it takes place eight months after Endgame (and then No Way Home *immediately* follows the events of FFH - like, literally seconds later), while WandaVision takes place just two weeks after Endgame and didn't come out until long after Far From Home. And then, again, due to the pandemic, the order of Falcon and the Winter Soldier got screwed up, as did Loki. So I would just go with whatever chronological order Disney+ has under the timeline section. Just as long as you end with Far From Home, No Way Home, and then In the Multiverse of Madness last.
TCTTS
AG
Also, YES, please keep these going. I've said it before and I'll say it again, but I love these reaction recaps so damn much.
TCTTS
AG
Oh and finally, I would absolutely watch the Garfield Spider-Man movies. They're not great, and not horrible either, but he's SO GOOD in No Way Home that you'll be glad you watched them. Seriously, that movie is up there with Infinity War and Endgame in terms of incredible moments/payoffs, so you'll want to go in primed and ready.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
double aught said:

Love these recaps.
+1
jeffk
AG
Keep the threads coming.

Garfield Spiderverse is fun and worthwhile.
maroon barchetta
TCTTS said:

Oh and finally, I would absolutely watch the Garfield Spider-Man movies. They're not great, and not horrible either, but he's SO GOOD in No Way Home that you'll be glad you watched them. Seriously, that movie is up there with Infinity War and Endgame in terms of incredible moments/payoffs, so you'll want to go in primed and ready.

My son went and saw No Way Home with his buddies on opening weekend. He loved it. I asked him where it fit in the Marvel movie rankings and he put it even with Endgame, maybe better than Endgame.

That's big talk.

He wasn't wrong. It's a great movie and they pulled out all the stops.
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

I would strongly suggest NOT watching in release order from here on out. Partly because the pandemic really screwed things up. But also because, for instance, Far From Home came out next after Endgame, though it takes place eight months after Endgame (and then No Way Home *immediately* follows the events of FFH - like, literally seconds later), while WandaVision takes place just two weeks after Endgame and didn't come out until long after Far From Home. And then, again, due to the pandemic, the order of Falcon and the Winter Soldier got screwed up, as did Loki. So I would just go with whatever chronological order Disney+ has under the timeline section. Just as long as you end with Far From Home, No Way Home, and then In the Multiverse of Madness last.
veeeeeeery interesting take....alright i'll post the 2 different orders here and i'll be curious to get feedback....

this is honestly spooky for me because i've always been a big supporter of going in release date order as certain reveals within stories can become more epic when you realize something you figured was small or insignificant in the past becomes a big deal....but based on what you mentioned and since this has both tv shows and movies involved and including things got delayed and messed up due to covid.....i'm starting to really consider chronological order

so here we go of what's left that's been released:

Release Date Order

Spider Man Far From Home
WandaVision
Falcon & Winter Soldier
Loki (S1)
Black Widow
What If?
Shang-Chi + 10 Rings
Eternals
Hawkeye
Spider Man No Way Home
Moon Knight
Dr. Strange Multiverse
Ms. Marvel

Chronological Order (This is according to a page on gamesradar.com that has been consistently getting updated with movie release dates and announcements so I trust them but if something seems off let me know)

Loki (outside of our conception of time, but around here)
What If? (also outside of our conception of time)
WandaVision
Shang-Chi + 10 Rings
Falcon & Winter Soldier
Spider Man Far From Home
Spider Man No Way Home
Eternals
Hawkeye
Moon Knight
Dr. Strange Multiverse
Ms. Marvel

So based on that.....what do y'all think would be better and does the chronological order listed here make sense?
jokershady
AG
maroon barchetta said:

TCTTS said:

My son went and saw No Way Home with his buddies on opening weekend. He loved it. I asked him where it fit in the Marvel movie rankings and he put it even with Endgame, maybe better than Endgame.

That's big talk.

He wasn't wrong. It's a great movie and they pulled out all the stops.
rhutton125
AG
I think release order is fine. Most things are still following up on Endgame or are standalone so it's not a huge deal either way IMO. BW is a prequel, but FFH, WandaVision, Falcon & WS, Loki and Hawkeye are essentially Endgame sequels.

We haven't really progressed beyond ~1 year chronologically since Endgame, I think, even though it's been 3 years since it released.
Lathspell
AG
In no way is No Way Home better than End Game. It was a really good Marvel flick, but I would still put several movies above it, on my list.

I found the What If? series hard to watch. I slogged through the first two, and just couldn't get myself to continue on.
The Porkchop Express
AG
If you want to save some time, don't watch Eternals at all!
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Quote:

Chronological Order (This is according to a page on gamesradar.com that has been consistently getting updated with movie release dates and announcements so I trust them but if something seems off let me know)

WandaVision
Shang-Chi + 10 Rings
Falcon & Winter Soldier
Spider Man Far From Home
Spider Man No Way Home
Eternals
Hawkeye
Moon Knight
Dr. Strange Multiverse
Ms. Marvel

So based on that.....what do y'all think would be better and does the chronological order listed here make sense?

I would suggest a modified order as post Endgame falls into three broad groups: 1. Endgame fallout, 2. The New Main Story, and 3. Supplemental Story. The two Spider-Man movies really bridge the gap between Endgame fallout and the new main story. The supplemental story looks to be another branch of the MCU and these stories look to tie into the main storyline, but I think are harder to place in a watch order as they break up the flow of the main story. Shang chi is hard to place, but I would watch it either before the two spider-men or before Dr. Strange 2. What if is also hard to place.

Endgame Fallout:
Falcon & Winter Soldier
Black Widow (if you haven't seen it)
Hawkeye
WandaVision
Spider Man Far From Home

Main story:
Spider Man No Way Home
Loki
What If...
Dr. Strange Multiverse

Supplemental Story:
Shang-Chi + 10 Rings
Eternals
Moon Knight
Ms. Marvel (still airing)

Sex Panther
AG
Endgame is one of the greatest cinematic achievements in history
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

This. The movies aren't that bad (at least not the first one) but they're worth it just for Garfield in No Way Home. Lots of self deprecating/meta humor about his run. Also Jamie Foxx in the second one is so bad it's actually hilarious.

Also Garfield and Emma Stone have great chemistry together. Too bad we didn't get more of her Gwen Stacy.
MW03
AG
Endgame is great on it's own, but it's incredible because of 22 or whatever movies that led to it. I kind of think of them like a TV show with each movie being an episode, and Endgame being the series finale. And it absolutely stuck the landing.

I think you can make an argument that No Way Home is a better movie in the stand alone sense, even if it's not as good as Endgame if you account and give credit to Endgame for everything they set up along the way to get there. Not sure if that makes sense, but I cannot separate my enjoyment of Endgame from my enjoyment of the Marvel world that built to Endgame. It's all one love to me.
Squirrel Master
AG
I highly recommend watching the Garfield spiderman movies before No Way Home. Besides giving a little more context for the villains you're already aware of, they will also provide a lot of context for both jokes and emotional moments in NWH.
TCTTS
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

Quote:

WandaVision
Shang-Chi + 10 Rings
Falcon & Winter Soldier
Spider Man Far From Home
Spider Man No Way Home
Eternals
Hawkeye
Moon Knight
Dr. Strange Multiverse
Ms. Marvel

I would suggest a modified order as post Endgame falls into three broad groups: 1. Endgame fallout, 2. The New Main Story, and 3. Supplemental Story. The two Spider-Man movies really bridge the gap between Endgame fallout and the new main story. The supplemental story looks to be another branch of the MCU and these stories look to tie into the main storyline, but I think are harder to place in a watch order as they break up the flow of the main story. Shang chi is hard to place, but I would watch it either before the two spider-men or before Dr. Strange 2. What if is also hard to place.

Endgame Fallout:
Falcon & Winter Soldier
Black Widow (if you haven't seen it)
Hawkeye
WandaVision
Spider Man Far From Home

Main story:
Spider Man No Way Home
Loki
What If...
Dr. Strange Multiverse

Supplemental Story:
Shang-Chi + 10 Rings
Eternals
Moon Knight
Ms. Marvel (still airing)

I love this. Super smart. Though, I would still start with WandaVision, since it's the earliest in the timeline.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Disagree with this.
maroon barchetta
Brian Earl Spilner said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Disagree with this.

Better drink a lot of caffeine first because it will put you to sleep.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
TCTTS said:

I love this. Super smart. Though, I would still start with WandaVision, since it's the earliest in the timeline.

Thank you! I pushed WandaVision down since it seemed separate from the Captain America/Black Widow Endgame fallout. And putting it after seemed thematically better even though it is first by other metrics. I agree either way.
Quad Dog
AG
Being in the theatre for Endgame was crazy. The place went nuts when Cap picked up the hammer.
Then once "On your left started" it was this amazing crescendo as everyone came back. Until the end it was quiet before Cap said "Avengers Assemble" during the word Assemble, everyone lost it.

double aught
AG
Goosebumps, still.
jokershady
AG
After reading these responses I can confirm that we will MOST DEFINITELY be watching the 2 Andrew Garfield movies before we watch No Way Home.

As far as the order goes...man...still undecided on this one. TC had mentioned Covid being an issue that kinda messed things up. Did they end up releasing some of the TV shows earlier than they had intended because the movie's got delayed? Cause if that's part of the issue then I might start heavily leaning on the chronological order of things.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.