Watching MCU movies for the first time. Phase 3: Ragnarok / Homecoming / Black Panthe

3,617 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Lathspell
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TLDR: Part 2 of who the hell knows of Phase 3? Holy balls! This one contains Thor: Ragnarok / Spiderman: Homecoming / Black Panther

Prior threads:

Phase 1 Reaction:
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3278723

Phase 2 Reaction:
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3285463

Phase 3 Reaction (Part 1): Dr. Strange / GotG Vol 2 / Civil War
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3287952

If you've been following these you know the score here. If not check out at least the Phase 1 reaction post linked above. Ranking these 3 amongst themselves:

3. Thor: Ragnarok (dude, chill)
2. Black Panther
1. Spiderman: Homecoming

Ok sports fans here we go!!!! *rubs hands together*

Thor: Ragnarok
Ok…first off I got to start this off by saying I didn't hate this movie and it's definitely a good film….but I didn't fall head over heals in love with it like a lot of other folks did and I'll get into why from a story stand point…but I also think my reaction to this is partly my own fault. Why?

Whelp…when we watched this film we had watched it the very day after we watched GotG 2. And if you read my prior post from this one you know how much I fell in love with that movie and watching this one right afterwards THE VERY NEXT DAY was probably a little much. Kinda like the Solo movie coming out a few months after The Last Jedi. Also, we watched it in the WRONG DANG ORDER! We should have watched Spiderman: Homecoming immediately after GotG 2 and that film would have been the perfect bridge between those 2. I only realized our error after looking up the release date order randomly later in the day and felt like an idiot. Plus the Spiderman films are NOT on Disney + so hopefully with knowing that y'all can understand the error.

Now, with that out of the way…

Man…Jeff Goldblum sucked. Just plain sucked. Again if you've been reading these posts you've gathered at this point how much I value a good well written / motivated villain. And he was by far the worst villain we've had so far in the MCU. No. Stop. I don't care how much you like the actual Jeff Goldblum and I'm sure he's a cool dude and loves his fans. But blue lip, melty stick, sucky cos-play Snoke rob bad guy was A-W-F-U-L. Why? Great question…

Why should anyone fear this guy? He has no power. No strength. No supernatural powers. His personal ship has no weapons on it (but he's known for having orgys on it???). All he's got is some weird buff chick that bobs her head too much and a stick that melts people. Oh no…..

On top of that what the hell Loki???? Loki????? Hello!!! Hello!!! Anybody home!?!?!?!?!?!? Think McFly!!!

This guy is the GOD of mischief. The friekin God of mischief! He took over Asgard! He banished Odin! He fights with the God of Thunder and was at one point the right hand man of Thanos and was only stopped from taking over Earth from a team of Avengers! And he can't handle Goldblum??? This made zero sense to me.

And while we're on the topic of villains, the hell sister with the 12-point Malificient horns wasn't that much better. Ok destroying Thor's hammer was a jaw dropper. But gosh darnit a huge opportunity was missed here! Don't show me a ceiling painting of her wielding the hammer…..SHOW ME her wielding the hammer!!! Show me her and Odin slaughtering thousands and taking over kingdoms for 10-15 minutes!!! Circumvent expectations here and actually show us Thor's lineage isn't as clear cut as we've thought it was instead of just having dialogue and a ceiling painting! Arg!!!!

Ok…so what did I like about this movie?

Whelp…pretty much everything else! Every time ANYONE was on screen without the villains was instantly awesome! Thor and Loki as usual are awesome together and the only thing better than them on this film (which is a very high bar to top) was Thor and Hulk on film together! Their arena fight scene was awesomely hilarious along with all their dialogue and interactions. And the new character…big rock guy (can't think of his name) was an immediate delight…I still find myself saying (or at least thinking to myself), "Goodbye new Doug" every time I think something is about to go wrong for someone on film or in person.

The Valkyrie from Asgard was also a lot of fun. My kids (along with my wife and myself) absolutely lost it with her characters first appearance, "He's mine" *drunkenly stumbles off platform into the garbage*

And the biggest deal here was the ending of Asgard! This is how you do a sequel!!! You give characters/story lines new challenges. Beelzeboss destroyed Asgard!! A homeworld we've spent 2 movies in and referenced multiple times. That was a huge turn that I did not see coming!

Bottom line: this was a good film. And you'll see where I rank it at the bottom of this post. Everyone was great in it I just wish the villains had been done better.

End credits scene: holy crap wasn't that ship a bad-guy ship from the first GotG movie???

Black Panther
This was A LOT of fun and such a different story from all the other MCU origin movies up to this point. Of course I can see how someone could argue it technically wasn't a true origin story but it's close enough.

The actor portraying Black Panther is perfect. Just perfect. I had mentioned from my Civil War reaction how much I loved his character having known nothing leading up to that movie about him and this film was the perfect balance of information and story.

Probably one minor thing that maybe some overlooked that I loved most about this film was the relationship between T'Challa and his sister. There's one scene where he's been kinged already and he goes to visit her in her lab…and their interaction with one another was the perfect balance of respect for his new position vs. brother/sister quirks and family history. Throughout the entire movie I genuinely feared something terrible was going to happen to his sister and if that had happened I probably would've lost it!

How about the dang villains in this?! Huh?? The Klaw guy (who I was convinced the entire time was actually Gerard Butler) was a really fun dude to watch on screen! There's nothing more entertaining to me than watching a bad guy genuinely having fun being a bad guy and dang he sure was! When he shoots BP (Black Panther) with his robot arm gun and was WAY too enthusiastic about "winning a grand" because he shot the money box that BP shielded himself with and sent money everywhere had me rolling!

But then what? He's dead? Now we're focusing on the child (now an adult) from the very beginning of the movie and this is the heart of the film right here!!! Without the messaging getting overly shoved down our throats we're shown how in the right (or wrong) circumstances how any person can become good or evil based on their upbringing (was getting Star Trek: Nemesis vibes here). The child who was COMPLETELY INNOCENT had his father taken from him from a character we thought to be pure and good and we were actually SHOWN this (you see how this works Ragnarok?) and from one poor decision an evil person was created.

And all of this was built up to a perfect climax!!! Our main protagonist who's as pure and good as you can get still wanted to save the villain. But the villain who because of their upbringing and experiences was impossible to change and chose death over life. That was a big deal to me and I was so happy to see they went with an ending like that.

Some of this story…let's be honest…was predictable as hell. There's no way BP was getting killed half way through the movie and it was obvious that "abandoned tribe" in the mountains was still going to play a huge role in the climax. But even though there were moments where it was clear where this was all heading the journey to those endings was a lot of fun!

End credits: Yeah I was wondering where the hell the Winter Soldier has been!

Spiderman: Homecoming
This was Spiderman. Hands down. Toby McGuire? You got the ball rolling. Andrew Garfield? Still kept it warm. Tom Holland? Dude. I love you.

So…how about the beginning? We have zero origin story because we don't need it! Thank you for respecting our intelligence on this super popular character. So instead we get how this character would ACTUALLY act/respond to these powers!! This kid who had literally fought with (and against) Avengers is thrown back into his normal high school life and is super eager to prove himself. So what does he do? He harasses Happy with constant phone calls about his every day happenings as Spiderman. And what are those? Random occurrences where half the time he thinks he's helping where he's making things worse! And that was something that always bugged me about super heroes in general! How did they always seem to be in the right place in the right time? Lazy writing perhaps? Cause this kid is doing random tasks half the time we all could be doing he's just doing them in a spidey suite cause HOW COULD HE POSSIBLY KNOW WHERE THE REAL CRIMES ARE??? So perfect.

And how about this villain? Again, he's a normal guy just trying to make a living and was dealt a bad hand. And with being dealt that poor hand he took the easy out with technology he found because he needed to make money to support his family. Then he discovered he was dang good at it and kept it up and fell into the life. I loved Harvey Birdman in this!

There's one scene specifically that I want to break down here…and that's the scene where Parker arrives at his dates house and discovers the villain of the movie is his dates father. This. Was. Perfection! Here we go!

We start off with…honestly…seeing how great of a father he is. He's cool. He's loving. He's supportive. Honestly if any of us were taking a girl to a dance and met this guy as the girl's father we'd probably feel pretty good about it. This helps even more drive home the idea that this is not a bad man…but a good man who made bad choices. So Parker obviously figures it out right away but Birdman is oblivious for now.

Then we get the three of them in the car on the way to the dance. Birdman puts 2 and 2 together when his daughter mentions Peter being at the party but being barley there and tying that in with the bad deal where Spidey showed up the same night. This whole scene was perfect and mirrored the Thanksgiving dinner scene from the original Toby McGuire Spiderman movie amazingly! The tension and realization from each character was paced very well! And even when stopped at a light when Birdman figured out that Peter was in fact Spiderman, the green light from the stoplight was shown right against his face (this was definitely intentional) giving me all the awesome vibes and callbacks from when Green Goblin himself discovered the identity of Spiderman.

And the father/son relationship between Tony Stark and Peter Parker was also incredible and I was 100% invested in that! I wanted Peter to show Stark just how much potential he had but at the same time I wanted Stark to keep him grounded for his protection.

All in all…this was the perfect Spiderman movie for the MCU and I absolutely loved it! Also…the very last scene…"WHAT THE FU-!!!???" Yeah…I was in tears from laughing so hard at that.

End credits scene: So Birdman's in jail…course he is…but he doesn't want to give up Parkers identity cause I assume he still has some standard of morals and I guess The Scorpion is going to show up at some point?

So how do these films rank now???

18. Iron Man 3
17. Captain America
16. Iron Man 2
15. Thor: Dark World
14. Thor
13. Ant-Man
12. The Incredible Hulk
11. The Avengers: Age of Ultron
10. Iron Man
9. Thor: Ragnarok
8. Black Panther
7. Dr. Strange
6. Spiderman: Homecoming
5. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. The Avengers
3. Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2
2. Captain America: Winter Soldier
1. Captain America: Civil War

Alright…next up…Avengers: Infinity War!

Oh…btw…I've already watched it. And it'll be my next post. And it's my new #1. Holy hell!
Sex Panther
AG
Stopped reading at "Jeff Goldblum sucked"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
+1

Urban Ag
AG
Sex Panther said:

Ragnorak is literally my favorite MCU. I honestly think it is in the range of ESB or Raiders as a perfect blockbuster film. Taika encouraged and coached Hemsworth and Hiddelston the leave to actually be really funny, and both were. Cate Blachett is a middle aged goddess and it delivered. Goldblum was Goldblum at his best and the rest of the cast was nails.

And..............it turned me on to Waititi which is great because his sense of humor meshes so well with my weird sense of humor. Which lead me to finally watch Jo Jo one day on HBO, which IMO is the best movie (all the way around) I have seen in years, maybe a decade or more.

rhutton125
AG
IMO Ragnarok is Taika's worst film. I don't think Goldblum is meant to be taken seriously or even thought of as a villain. That said, I think the worst part of the movie is how Thor is ****ed by a little neck shocker - and that they do the whole electrocution gag like 7 times. Come on, Taika.

It's so obsessed with taking the piss out if these characters that it's like there can't be a conversation without someone being shut down or electrocuted.

I still like the film but I have it ranked right around where Joker does. The only place I really deviate from his is Guardians 2 - I just don't think it's nearly as funny as it thinks it is. And I have Hulk down toward the bottom.

Glad that y'all are still enjoying these! Great stuff up ahead.
jokershady
AG
Sex Panther said:

would it make you feel better if I clarified here that it was more about how I didn't like how the character was written and not so much the person or acting?

maroon barchetta
TLR

I do appreciate you putting a spoiler at the beginning that convinced me to skip the rest.
double aught
AG
Quote:

The actor portraying Black Panther is perfect. Just perfect.
jokershady
AG
maroon barchetta said:

TLR

I do appreciate you putting a spoiler at the beginning that convinced me to skip the rest.
jokershady
AG
Dude….the beginning of the conversation with his dad combined with him getting angry and emotional right afterwards….knowing that this actor is no longer with us due to cancer…..

Yeah this tore me up a bit…..

Duncan Idaho
Only got as far as most of you Ragnarok review because it was enough to know not to trust anything you post.

Simply put

Your views are terrible and you should feel bad.
Madmarttigan
AG
IW/Endgame/Ragnarok are easily my MCU 1/2/3.
Lathspell
AG
Nope.... just, nope.

Also, Black Panther is probably the most overrated MCU film. T'challa's character arc in Civil War was so much better. And his sister has got to be the worst character in the MCU.
Lathspell
AG
Madmarttigan said:

I definitely have End Game and Ragnarok in my top 3.

Some of the best MCU scenes are in Ragnarok, and Jeff Goldblum as the Grandmaster is most definitely an awesome villain because of how purposefully outrageous they made him.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Nope.... just, nope.

Also, Black Panther is probably the most overrated MCU film. T'challa's character arc in Civil War was so much better. And his sister has got to be the worst character in the MCU.

Truth.
jokershady
AG

Come on I did say I enjoyed all the other characters in Ragnarok…just didn't care for the antagonists of the film.

It's still higher on my list than a majority of the other MCU films.

Good grief you'd think I had just crapped on Betty White here…didn't realize so many people had man crushes on this guy:

c-jags
DallasTeleAg said:

Nope.... just, nope.

I argue it's only overrated because of critics gushing over patting themselves on the back for it and the ridiculous academy award nomination.

It's a perfectly fine movie and upper middle tier (but solidly middle tier) but it gets unfairly praised and unfairly dumped on.
jokershady
AG
c-jags said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Nope.... just, nope.

I argue it's only overrated because of critics gushing over patting themselves on the back for it and the ridiculous academy award nomination.

It's a perfectly fine movie and upper middle tier (but solidly middle tier) but it gets unfairly praised and unfairly dumped on.
and yes I 100% agree with this. I enjoyed it but it wasn't the 2nd coming of Jesus the critics (and box office) portrayed it to be
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quad Dog
AG
Madmarttigan said:

I view Ragnarok, IW, Endgame as an awesome trilogy.
Lathspell
AG
Hence, why I called it "overrated".

I would never say it's there with Cpt Marvel or Thor: The Dark World, but it is definitely middle of the road.
jeffk
AG
Jeff Goldblum was amazing… but yeah, his Grandmaster character wasn't really a true antagonist.

And Black Panther is great because of how perfectly they made Killmonger T'Challa's foil. Still bummed we don't get to see either of those characters again.
Duncan Idaho
jeffk said:

Jeff Goldblum was amazing… but yeah, his Grandmaster character wasn't really a true antagonist.

He wasn't really supposed to the antagonist.

The real antagonists were inside Thor and Valkyrie themselves all along.
Duncan Idaho
And you know who else didnt have superpowers but was pretty scary?......Hitler
jeffk
AG
Duncan Idaho fits that description as well.
jokershady
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

And you know who else didnt have superpowers but was pretty scary?......Hitler
but wasn't Red Skull about to overthrow hitler if it wasn't for a certain super soldier?
Ornithopter
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

jeffk said:

He wasn't really supposed to the antagonist.

The real antagonists were inside Thor and Valkyrie themselves all along.

Also, the character basically named Hell.
Bruce Almighty
AG
c-jags said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Nope.... just, nope.

I agree with this. Black Panther is a good movie, top half of the MCU, but the critical acclaim seemed forced.
Ornithopter
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

c-jags said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Nope.... just, nope.

I agree with this. Black Panther is a good movie, top half of the MCU, but the critical acclaim seemed forced.

Yeah, I think BP is one of the better origin stories.

I really think it would have been best as a two part movie. First one has TChalla ascending, then losing the throne to Killmonger in a more betrayal type fashion where TC actually has some sort of flaw The second movie would have been the redemption arc.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Sex Panther said:

Didn't even finish OP's breakdown before I sprinted to the the login screen just to 1) look for this comment and star it, or 2) make this exact same post comment if nobody else had made it yet.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Just finished the rest of the original post. Iron Man has a legitimate claim to best comic book movie of all-time and it finishes at...10???
jokershady
AG
Some of y'all got a little too butt hurt. Remember, they're just movies. We're all going to die someday…and none of this is going to matter.

So let's all have a laugh at different opinions, come back together when Infinity War hits #1 (cause it is we've watched it), and then we can all screw off.

jokershady
AG
Bro….Iron Man was a great foundation to grow the MCU for sure….but it's safe to say the movies (much like Vision) have evolved into something bigger and greater than their beginning

Haven't came across anyone that has Iron Man in their top 5 (and even top 10) because of how amazing some of the later films are.

Remember….being #10 for an MCU movie is still amazing considering how high a bar these movies set for themselves
jokershady
AG
And….no love for Spider-Man Homecoming? Tom Holland? Best portrayal of high school Peter Parker? Young boy desperate to prove himself to Tony Stark but ends proving something more to himself?

Nobody?

Madmarttigan
AG
Spider-Man has been fantastic as a supporting character in combo movies but I think his movies usually lack a really good epic moment like the end of Ragnarok. I also don't think they have any emotional weight to them. Even the end of the newest one was meh for me, but definitely the best of the three. They are always just fun and entertaining but not much deeper than that.
Formerly tv1113
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.